Shades of Black

By alliemaelynn

Indira Black, a troubled girl from America, reaches a crossroads between choosing life or the black abyss aft... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Quick Author's Note
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 10

2.1K 40 6
By alliemaelynn

Indira

My head was spinning- thoughts moving through it at a million miles per hour.

Subconsciously moving down the stairwell, each foot moved cautiously as I stepped down, and my hand gripped tightly onto the railing to my side.

I was in pure shock. My mission to confront Draco and demand answers from him did not go as planned; Instead, he left me breathless once again. The entirety of what had just played out was mostly a blur. I could only keep replaying the moment that his lips were so close to mine- his eyes, his icy eyes, looking at every inch of my body, and his slender fingers lifting my chin.

There was a purpose for me seeking him out, but all interest in getting my answers fled my mind in that moment. His touch had left goosebumps rising from my skin, feeling as if electricity had bolted through every inch of it.

Why did I not stop him? Why did I become so vulnerable when I had been so pissed only seconds before? Why was he treating me this way when we had barely spoken- not knowing each other at all?

These questions and the replays of the incident swirled around my mind as I walked back into the halls of the castle- ignoring whoever might have been in the common room as I passed through.

Aimlessly, I found myself walking to the Astronomy Tower for the third time in only 24 hours. However, before I could begin my journey up the stairs, a frantic Minerva McGonagall came walking in my direction, waving her hands in the air.

"Miss Black, Miss Black! You must come with me at once!" She spoke seriously.

"Is something wrong? Am I in trouble?" I was confused- hoping it had nothing to do with the party or... Draco.

"Not exactly, there's just some important matters we need to take care of immediately in the Headmaster's office." McGonagall tilted her head, motioning for me to follow her- and I did.

We moved in uncomfortable silence before reaching Headmaster Dumbledor's office. Entering, I was amazed by all of the trinkets that filled the room. Though, the most impressive object was a fiery, Scarlett bird, perched on a golden cage above Dumbledor's desk. I had never seen such a species before- it was beautiful.

Dumbledor stood up from his chair, "Ah, Miss Black. Thank you for coming."

Hesitantly, I stepped forward, "Professor Dumbledor, what's going on?"

He walked around the desk, gracefully approaching me and reaching out his hand- indicating that he wanted to show me something.

I gently took his hand and he began to walk me up a few stairs that were placed behind his desk- only taking a few seconds.

"Miss Black, you see, I was sitting in my office going over your transcripts when our good friend, the Sorting Hat, began to speak." His eyes wandering upward, falling on the brown hat that had sat on my head the first night I arrived.

"This has never happened in the hundreds of years that I have been at Hogwarts. It spoke to me, saying that he believes he had made a mistake with your sorting ceremony." My eyes widened, and McGonagall stood nervously behind us.

A mistake?

"Sir, I'm in Gryffindor." I replied.

"Correct, but I'm under the impression that the Sorting Hat would like to check again." Dumbledor did not seem nervous, more curious if anything.

He pulled out his wand, flicking it around in a particular motion- making the Sorting Hat float into his hands.

He turned towards me, raising his hand in the direction we had just came from, "Please, take a seat."

I reluctantly listened to him, placing myself in the large, worn, leather chair.

I'm getting sorted again? Why?

Dumbledor then placed the hat on my head and stepped back to stand by McGonagall. It began to squirm awake, grumbling and muttering words I could not make out.

Finally, it spoke.

"Indira Black, I've been expecting you. A student that I had placed in Gryffindor for brave actions in the past... yes..." I shivered at its voice- knowing the actions he had been talking about... my abuse.

"Though, I've realized that I had overlooked some things. To my knowledge, you attempted to kill yourself after figuring your mother was passed, correct?"

McGonagall's hand flew to her mouth, gasping.

I did not want to relive this dark moment, but alas, I answered, "Yes."

"I see, and why did you do this?"

Why did I do it? With my newfound confidence, I would probably have left her and fled immediately. She had put me through the depths of hell.

"I'm not sure." I whispered.

"Mhmm... and Dumbledor has mentioned that you were seen attacking Miss Parkinson. Is that right?"

Shit, they knew, "Um, yes sir. She said some cruel things about me... and my friends."

The hat began grumbling again, incoherently whispering. Then, his decision was made.

"Indira Black, you have shown that you are  loyal to those you love, even if they've hurt you beyond repair; And you are extremely ambitious.... cunning even, when it comes to threatening situations. You're more like your father than I had previously thought..." It went on to say something that shook me to my core.

"That being said, let it be... Slytherin!" It fell silent after that.

I didn't move, I didn't show any expression. I was shocked.

Dumbledor moved toward me, lifting the hat off my head and placing it back in its designated spot.

"Interesting..." He spoke.

McGonagall cut in, her sweet voice now shaking, "Albus, how is this possible?"

He returned to his spot beside her, placing his hand in a comforting manner on her shoulder.

"This is a mystery to us all, but the decision is final," he turned in my direction, "Miss Black, you will need to acquire your belongings from your current residence. You will be rooming with Miss Greengrass and Parkinson, they have an open bed available I do believe."

Pansy? Oh, fuck no.

The shock has disintegrated, replaced with several new feelings.

"Professor, you heard the hat! I cannot dorm with Pansy! She's horrendous!" I exclaimed.

Dumbledor lowered his head- his eyes looking over his glasses and at me, "Indira, I believe you'll be just fine. It seems that you've been able to handle yourself so far. Just don't let her push you around- stay true to yourself."

I knew there was nothing I could do to change his mind. I stayed quiet, breathing in deeply and dropping my head in defeat.

"Minerva, please take Miss Black to retrieve new uniforms and make Severus aware of the upcoming changes." McGonagall pursed her lips, but then nodded agreement.

We were then dismissed by Dumbledor, exiting his chambers. McGonagall stuck to his requests, taking me to a classroom across the castle- near the Slytherin portion. When we walked in, a tall man stood at the front of the room, writing vigorously on a chalk board. He had long, black hair and robes that draped across the floor.

Without turning around, he spoke, "Professor McGonagall, what do you want?"

She cleared her throat, "Severus, there has been a change in Miss Black here's housing arrangements. I must be turning her over to you now, and Albus has asked that she be given new robes."

He snapped his head around, revealing a scowl. Fully turning to face us, he whipped his robes around dramatically and marched at us.

"Miss Black was placed in Gryffindor. She does not belong with me." He did not appear to be interested in my presence.

McGonagall straightened her back to match his height, "There was a mistake with the sorting. She will be in Slytherin with you and your students starting immediately. If you have a problem, you can take it up with Albus himself."

The man squinted his eyes- his gaze falling on myself. He was deep in thought, the news perplexing his mind.

"Very well, you can go now, Professor McGonagall. I'll take her from here," He announced.

Worried, I looked up at McGonagall- whom was already looking at me. She gave me a sentimental expression and lightly rubbed the side of my arm. Almost as if she were saying, "It'll be okay."

She had then left the room, leaving me with the man. He was excruciatingly intimidating, but remembering Dumbledor's words- I put on a confident facade.

"Severus?" I asked, furrowing my brows.

This did not make him happy, "It is Professor Snape to you."

He then whipped his robes around again, walking over to a large cabinet. From it, he picked out multiple green ties and scarves, along with new robes with the Slytherin emblem embroidered into them. He folded everything nicely, proceeding to return in front of me.

He waited for a moment before glancing at my arms. I reached out to grab my new belongings, but he forcefully put them into my arms instead.

"You're on my roster for Potions class tomorrow morning. Don't be late or you will cost points for your house." He turned again, marching back to the chalk board- continuing his writing.

Rude.

I sighed, and made my way back to the Gryffindor dorms. When I arrived, Mione and Ginny were still there, unlucky for me.

Mione was reading a book in the windowsill by her bed, whilst Ginny was writing something on a piece of parchment. My arrival made them stop what they were doing and all eyes fell on me.

"Indira, are you feeling better- What are those?" Hermione spoke, referring to the clothing in my possession.

Concerned, they both stood and walked over to me. Their eyes shooting back and forth from the clothes and back to me.

I took deep breath and closed my eyes. Looking up at them with regret in my plastered across my face.

"There's something I need to tell you."

-

Let it be (again).... SLYTHERIN!

So, Indira was placed into the wrong house after all! Her loyalty to her mother and friends had been overlooked, but was eventually made very clear!

What do you think about this?

What's going to happen when she has to dorm with Pansy?

Is another fight going to take place?

How does Indira feel about everything that's happened?

Stay tuned my loves ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.3K 486 18
Draco X reader in a Voldemort free world, where Draco is still a cold jerk sometimes, he gets that from his father but their not really evil. y/n get...
28.2K 1K 30
Rashana Lacopa had heard of shifting to another reality but never thought she had it in her. It wasn't until one night out of mere curiosity she laid...
68.5K 5.9K 37
[COMPLETED] Short stories that narrate the adventures of Draco Malfoy in alternate timelines, where the main character of every story it's you ❤️ Som...
36 0 12
Two twins ,who lived a normal life, started feeling a sense of nostalgia that brought them to commit a fatal act that will change their future foreve...