Royal Pain ~ Slave to the Hig...

By Enchantedlov

The day of the end was the start of the beginning for Violetta Simmons. She just didn't know it yet. The War... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Sequel

Chapter Twenty-Three

17.4K 758 57
By Enchantedlov

Rose stood and opened the door, allowing Aiden and Josh push their way in to room. Aiden walked straight towards the bed, his expression serious as he sat next to me and searched my face.

''Did you know your father was here?'' His voice was stern and accusing. It was as if he thought I had come with them knowingly, planning to put them in danger. As if I had led them straight to the enemy.

''I had no idea.'' I muttered, my voice low as a sudden wave of exhaustion hit me. It was extremely tiring to be questioned, I didn't think I had to strength to face the accusations anymore.

Josh and Rose stood silently watching us, Josh with his arms crossed over his chest and his eyebrows pulled together.

''You didn't know that your dad was alive?'' Aiden seemed angry, but I was too tired to care.

My eyes drooped and I let my head fall into my hands. There was no point in answering him now, he wouldn't believe me. I had never mentioned my father or his missing status, and hardly mentioning any aspects of my family to Aiden was most likely suspicious. I just hadn't had the chance, or the care to.

''Aiden, I don't think she knew.'' Rose spoke up, defending me.

''How can I trust you-'' Aiden began, but was interrupted as Josh raised his voice, speaking over him.

''Aiden, this is not the time to start your questioning. Violet looks dead on her feet, we should let her sleep.'' I felt my attitude towards Josh soften as he practically voiced my own thoughts.

I was surprised when Aiden didn't rebuke him for his harsh tone, ''Fine, but you need to eat before you head to bed.'' With his last words, he stood and hastily exited the room.

I looked up as he left, and watched Josh's eyes roll at Aiden's childish behaviour, ''We'll see you later, I guess.''

After Josh followed Aiden out, Rose closed the door and once again sat beside me, ''We should probably go eat, I don't want to find out what Aiden would do here if he got angry.'' She was slouched in her sitting position, the dark bags beneath her eyes becoming more and more noticeable.

I groaned, sitting up as my muscles protested with dull pain. Stretching, I stood and followed Rose out of the room, my feet dragging along the stone floor.

''Do you know where we're going?'' I asked groggily, combing my fingers through the tangled mess of my hair. I hadn't considered that the happiness of seeing my father alive would be ruined by all of the problems it caused.

''No idea.'' Rose continued until we eventually came to a large opening filled with people each seated at stone tables. There were no furnishings in the space, simply another cavern lit by torches that lined the walls. There seemed to be a long table at the side of the room that held a variety of foods, such as fruits and even some sandwiches.

My mouth watered as we approached the table, both of us grabbing paper plates which we immediately began to pile with food. It was strange to see such poor canteen conditions, with plastic cutlery and paper cups, when this assortment of foods was on display. With the high-tech doors that were dotted around, I would've guessed that the rest of the cave held other forms of this technology.

''This food almost makes the journey seem worthwhile. Is it bad that this is the first time I've felt safe since the auction?'' Rose smirked, leading us to an empty table as those around us began to stare.

I shifted uncomfortably as we sat, though as soon as the first slice of pizza touched my lips I relaxed, ''No, this feels great.''

I silently observed the people around me as we ate; spotting a few familiar faces that had earlier been outside. At first, I didn't see my father in the corner of the room speaking with the other leaders, but when I finally laid eyes on him, the comforting feeling of familiarity returned.

He glanced up and our eyes connected, his bright smile gracing his features before he headed towards our table. I watched him, my own smile wider than I could remember it ever being as he took a seat beside us.

''How's your meal? You look like you haven't eaten in days.'' He chuckled, smiling too at Rose who looked extremely content.

''It's great, this place is amazing.'' I couldn't help but feel elated every time I saw my father, the memories of my childhood racing through my mind.

''I'm glad that you feel comfortable here already. You're ready to help with the cause, I hope?'' His question was unexpected; I didn't think he would ask us so soon. But, I didn't think anything of it, writing it off as my father being passionate about his work.

''Oh, we're ready.'' Rose stated, a sadistic smile on her face, ''Can't wait to bring the fight to those damn vampires.''

My dad laughed with her and I joined in, lost in the moment, ''Great! You can get started training with the others in the morning. I assume that your friends will also be there?'' He was referring to the boys, and I honestly didn't know how to answer him.

''I think so.'' I muttered, wondering how Aiden and Josh would react to training in order to fit in. For me and Rose it would be no problem, as it was obvious both of us would be keen to join the cause had we come here under our own terms.

''Well, you bring them along in the morning. Training takes place outside in the woods. I'm sure you'll make lots of friends among the ranks of teenagers.'' He gave me a one-armed hug and I leant into his chest, ''I don't know how fate brought us together again, but I'm very thankful.'' He whispered into my ear before pulling away.

''It's a miracle.'' I murmured back, completely believing my own words.

''Now, don't think that the training tomorrow will be easy. The others are already ahead of you, and the course will not slow for you two to catch up.'' His face had turned serious, all traces of humour and happiness gone.

''Rose will be better than me, she already knows some moves.'' I tried to lighten the mood and nodded towards Rose who smiled brightly.

''I'm not the best, but I'm sure that I could give Violet a few pointers to start her off.'' Rose offered, taking a bite from the apple in her hand.

''That sounds like a good start.'' He nodded, pushing away from the table, ''I must go and speak with the others. We have big plans ahead of us.'' His words were ominous, and I was grateful that neither Aiden nor Josh had heard them. A big part of me was eager to protect and work with the rebels, the only thing stopping me being the constant threat from the High Royals.

My father left without another word and I fiddled with the food on my plate, my appetite vanished, as Rose finished her food, ''We should probably turn in for the night. I can't wait to get a proper night's sleep.'' I quickly agreed, excited to finally rest my eyes and sore muscles.

We hurried to throw away our plates and my leftover food, before heading back to our room. It took a while for us to navigate the many dark corridors, but we finally managed to find our room number and burst through the door. Rose headed straight towards the toiletries, picking them up and telling me she was heading to the bathroom. We had passed the communal toilets and showers on our way to and from the canteen, and Rose had expressed her anticipation for a hot shower and soap.

I on the other hand, quickly changed into some loose clothing provided by the rebels, and jumped into bed. Snuggling under the covers, I closed my eyes tight and tried to force myself into a slumber. My thoughts raced through my mind, the doubts behind serving the vampires or rebels at the forefront.

Just as the blissful feeling of sleep began to engulf me, I heard the door open and my muscles tensed automatically. I quickly reassured myself that it would be Rose returning from the bathroom, and kept my eyes closed in the hopes that she wouldn't disturb me.

I felt a weight on my mattress, causing it to dip as somebody sat down. My first thoughts were that Rose was checking up on me, but when the person didn't move, I began to get nervous. Debating on whether to open my eyes, or continue to pretend to sleep, I lay motionless.

''Violet, I know you're awake.'' A voice muttered, and I immediately recognised it as Aiden's. He shifted and I could feel his movement as he leant towards me.

I panicked and my eyes snapped open, sitting up so quickly that my head spun. My eyesight was blurred, the sudden lights in the room stunning me.

''I wanted to talk.'' Aiden was leant towards me, sat cross-legged at the foot of my bed as he stared at me with amused eyes.

I groaned and rubbed my head as a sharp pain shot through my temple, ''Couldn't this have waited?'' The presence of the humans around me and the ever-present tiredness boosted my confidence, my words sounding blunter than intended.

''I actually wanted to apologise.'' He spoke slowly, clasping his hands together. Was he nervous?

''Thanks. I need to sleep.'' I collapsed back onto the pillow, trying to pull the duvet up to my chin, but the weight of him made it difficult.

''Violet, can we have a real conversation?'' Frustration had begun to seep into his tone, and I wondered how much it would take for him to have another tantrum.

I didn't want to find out.

''What else do you want to say?'' I propped myself up on my elbows, just about able to make out his face over the mass of covers on top of me.

He grabbed the covers and pulled them down, revealing my tired face, ''I wanted to say that I really am sorry.'' He paused, his eyes cast downwards as he fiddled with his fingers. I didn't speak, waiting for him to continue, ''For the way that I have acted, I guess.''

''What makes you apologise now?'' I truly was curious; there was nothing unusual about a Master treating his slave in that way.

''Seeing you today, how happy you were when you saw your dad. I guess it made me realise that you have feelings.'' He glanced up, making eye contact.

I couldn't stop myself from scoffing, ''You didn't know that I had feelings?'' I asked, raising my eyebrows and sitting up further to get more comfortable, ''Have you not seen how much I've cried since I was ordered away from home?''

''That isn't what I meant. You just-'' He made a frustrated sound and went back to staring at his lap.

I didn't know what to say. Honestly, I felt sorry for him, as it was obviously hard to be this nice to a human. Instead of encouraging him to speak, I only nodded, accepting his apology and appreciative that he had acknowledged how forceful he had been earlier.

''You can stay here you know.'' My ears perked up at his words, the grogginess forgotten.

''What?'' I asked incredulously, refusing to read too much into what he had said.

''I can tell that you want to stay. I don't blame you, really.'' He sighed, running a hand through his hair that was not his own.

''I wouldn't get punished?'' There had to be a catch, some sort of consequence that would lead to my imminent torture.

''Not directly. I mean, you'd obviously be the enemy but I wouldn't find and kill you, if that's what you mean.'' I stared into his eyes, not detecting any sort of lie.

''I guess the threat from the Queen still stands?'' The hope I had mustered was dwindling as the consequences began to reveal themselves.

''I can't control my mother's actions.'' It was his way of confirming the fact that the Queen would most definitely try and find me and inflict some sort of pain, ''It's your choice.'' Those were his final words as he was gone before I could respond, Rose stumbling into the room a few moments later.

''You're still awake?'' She looked refreshed, her hair dripping wet as she stood in a robe.

''Yeah, I've got a lot to think about.'' I rested my head back, closing my eyes as the many possibilities of my future swarmed my mind.

-*-*-*-

A/N Thanks for reading! Please remember to vote and comments, it really helps my story get noticed!

I have decided to update my story every Friday from now on because of how much revision I have to do from exams. I'm sorry that this isn't too frequent. I hope you guys understand. :)

~ Edited 10/01/2016 ~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

392K 14.1K 52
"Have you found her yet?!" a man sitting on chair asks impatiently. "No, my lord," the soldier says bowing his head. "Well what are you doing here th...
12.1K 411 38
Scarlett violet Morgan is just a regular normal teenage girl well that what she thinks. Scarlett is currently a full time college student. She enjoys...
26K 1.1K 37
"Why me?" "I've been asking myself the same thing since the day I saw you." *** Hope Lancaster had always lived a relatively normal life. School, wor...
8.4M 404K 46
I was sure the worst thing to ever happen to me would be being kidnapped, and sure, that was pretty bad. However, what was worse was being kidnapped...