Chapter Twenty-Four

I woke the next morning, my first thoughts jumbled as I expected to see the familiar forest trees towering above me. Instead, there was the dark and dreary stone roof of the cave, my mind clearing as the memories of our arrival returned.

Sitting up slowly, I heard Rose humming from the bed beside me. She was cheerily combing her hair as she sat perched on the edge of her mattress, ''Sleep well?'' Her humming ceased as she addressed me, taking a moment to look up.

I nodded, blinking slowly and taking my time to stretch my sore muscles as I prepared myself for the day ahead. A quick trip to the shower had me feeling refreshed, but it also gave me a lot of time to ponder the troubling conversation that Aiden had started the night before.

Was it best for me to stay with the rebels and my father?

As much as I desired the freedom and comfort being amongst the humans provided, there was the constant possibility of the cause failing as it did in the War of Blood. Was it really worth the risk of a more probable and gruesome death?

The moment I entered our room once again, I noticed that Rose had dressed herself in the clothes from the day before, ''There are no spares anywhere?'' I asked, searching around the room for any more clothes provided.

''Not that I can see. You'd think that they'd have the decency to give us something clean to wear.'' Rose sighed, collapsing back onto her bed, ''Especially since we have training today.'' Her words were muffled as she yawned.

The mention of training brought forth the memory of my father's words. She was right, today would mark the beginning of our training to become rebels prepared to fight the vampires. There was something appealing about the fact that I would finally be learning to defend myself against the vampires, something rebellious I suppose. It would be a relief to be able to stand up for myself, and not rely on Aiden's constant care. Not that his care was particularly 'caring' but more of a necessary protection of his possession.

Which just so happened to be me.

''Do the boys even know about the training?'' Rose turned to me as I begun to redress myself in my muddy attire, leaning on her hand as she propped herself up.

I thought for a moment, ''I don't think we ever told them. Do you think they'll do it?'' I was curious to know her opinion, my own being that they would scoff at the idea of training with measly humans.

''Sure they will, if they want to blend in. Unless they decide to hide in their room all day that is, but that's not really gonna do them any good if they want to find out about the rebel's plans.'' She sat up once again, rubbing her eyes.

''Yeah, I guess you're right. Can you imagine them though?'' I laughed, picking up the brush that Rose had previously been using as I begun to comb through my own tangled, damp hair.

''It's going to be ridiculous. What would the rebels do if they realised the prince was training with them?'' We laughed together; both of us imagining the scene that would break out if that were to happen.

After the laughter had quieted down, I spoke again, ''Will we need anything else do you think? And should we meet the boys before breakfast?'' The questions were two of many that I had wondered about whilst in the shower.

''Well, your dad didn't say that we would need anything, not that we have much else with us anyway. As for the others, I think we should wait for them to meet us, we can finally have the confidence here to not serve them without it being unusual.'' Rose's face lit up, her whole demeanour changing to become more poised.

''Okay then.'' I was unnerved by the devious glint in her eye, wondering whether she was planning some sort of dismissal of her duties towards the vampires. Maybe it wasn't only me considering staying with the humans, Rose herself was in the same position, lacking her family being here however. I felt almost protective of my friend; not wanting her to be in the high amounts of danger living a happier lifestyle would cause.