BLEAK

נכתב על ידי Ortiz-Novels

Gunner Ardent discovers that his Luna is none other than Mindy Rivers. Granddaughter to one of the most ruthl... עוד

Copyright © 2015 by Mara L. Ortiz
Prologue
Home Visit
Sterile
Rejection
Temper
Together
Months After
Mate
Link
Rebel
The Arena
Tested
Electric Awakening
No Idle Threats
Electric Sparks
White Flag
Diverson
Grudges
Letting Go
The Alpha
Stiff
Dreaming of You
Excuses
Nightingale
White Lie
Second Chances
Made for Each Other
Marked
New Beginnings
Goodbye to Loneliness
Epoligue
A Word From the Author

Guard

20.5K 934 45
נכתב על ידי Ortiz-Novels

Chapter Thirteen

~Gunner~

The Alpha home, or as others called it, The Cobalt Mansion, consisted of thirty seven rooms and fifteen bathrooms. There was five hundred acres of land surrounding it, each with it's own purpose. I often asked myself why the need for so much of it if there was only a hand full of people living here. We over hired the staff and often repaired things about the house.

I looked through the large sum of bills over my desk. Why did we need to higher a florist again? I shook my head and flipped to the next page. Seven hundred dollars for pavement repairmens on a small pot hole outside. As I went through the rest of the bills I realized that this mansion was costing so much more than it should. We were going to have to do some cut backs on the maids and even the numerous gardeners in the house.

The door to my study opened and I greeted my mother as she glided in along side my father. I stood to greet them both. They had been away to the far down South of Cobalt to get away from the routine life they had built here.

"How was your trip?" I asked.

"Wow, I thought you'd never ask." My mother said a bit taken a back. I smiled and even that made her wonder what was up with me. After my family had passed away I had walked about the Mansion like a lost soul. Not even the cutest child could bring a smile to my face. Not until yesterday. There was something to look forward too in these days to come. The excitement coursing through my veins was nearly impossible to contain.

My wolf and I longed to see her, to feel that connection that made me feel alive, the most I had in such a long stretch. For now I'd have to put my giddy little heart aside and deal with the humans and their threats. I had many things to handle but my main priority would be to keep the family away from harms way.

"We got your message son, we are here. What's seems to be the problem?" My father asked.

He had aged well, tall and handsome although white hair began to fade his silver blonde color. His eyes were a magnetic blue that still possessed the power to make you lower your own gaze to the grownd when his temper was tested. My mother was still as beautiful as ever, with long blonde hair and crystal blue eyes. My father had taken good care of her throughout the years. I only wished that I could do the same with mine, but that would have to wait.

"Please, take a seat." I said, gesturing to the small comfortable seats near the windows. I settled on mine and my mother and father huddled together on the other.

"The humans have sent in spies. So far we have gathered that they have found a good source of oil in our lands, in fact in all five Nations. They have put a price on each Alpha's head. Now, we are not certain if these allegations are true, we are looking into it thoroughly. For the time being I do not want the both of you traveling to the south, west, or east. We stay here in the North." I explained.

"Why not try to negotiate? Why would they put a price on your head without trying to do things peacefully. I am certain we'd have no problem selling them oil." My father said.

"Negotiating with us means having to hand over money to our Nation. They do not want to take the risk in our people growing richer and more powerful. They are humans, father, and they do what they do best, rage war for what they want so that they stay on top." I replied.

He nodded and sighed in defeat, he was clearly disappointed with this news. My mother did not speak, simply stayed seated in her chair looking down to her hands.

"I request that you not leave this house without guards to surround you." My father suggested.

"Jeremiah and I have already discussed the matter. We have new recruits, the tournament was held yesterday and we have managed to stay on top of things. I will be looking into seeing that two of them are appointed my personal guard." I said

"No, the new recruits still need experience, they are fresh from the academy. You need men who have had experience." My father intervened.

I nodded, agreeing with him. I wanted to make my parent's as comfortable as I could. If my father wanted men who had experience to guard me, he knew best. I looked over to my mother and there was a tear in her eye as she stood and sniffled back the sadness overshadowing her mood.

"Everything is going to be fine. We have raised him right and our son knows that to do best." My father soothed. She nodded and they both excused themselves leaving me to deal with the rest of the bills.

No sooner had my parents departed when Jeremiah entered my study with a worried expression. I greeted him and he stood instead of taking the seat before my desk. "Is something a matter?" I asked. It was an idiotic question to ask, clearly the expression on his face said it all.

"We have just received conformation that the threat is very much real. The Russet Nation's Alpha and his family are missing." Jeremiah said.

I felt my heart accelerate at the news. So this meant war.

"They are good, damn good. We underestimated the humans, Gunner. They are gonna come for all we've got." He said. His hands shook as he paced back and forth, no doubt his family being his main concern.

"Then leave, take your wife and your child and find means of escaping." I said.

He looked at me, a battle taking place in him as he shook his head and turned away from me. "What kind of Beta would that make me? They will label me a coward if I chose to flee." He replied.

"I order you to take your wife and your unborn child out of Cobalt." I said, in a more serious voice.

"I am your Beta! I will stay at your side, no matter the consequences." He argued.

I didn't argue with him simply stared at Jeremiah as a single tear slipped from his eyes. He was very much afraid for his family.

"Gather the men, we must begin to build a strategy of our own that will help us survive this war." I stated.

He nodded and disappeared, I in return sough to delete valuable information and accounts from my lap top. Placing them all into a chip I made certain that my software was personally disposed of. After I watched the electronic device burn to a crisp I retreated from the furnace down below in the mansion to my car.

Jeremiah sat impatiently at my side as we reached the private bunker and descended down below. I was surprised to see the many leaders sitting in our table in under just three hours of calling the meeting. My biggest guess was that Jeremiah had called them in as soon as the news reached his ears.

"Gentlemen, and madams. We are gathered here on this day to discuss the matter of a threat that has been placed over my head and our Nations. Word has reached our ears that the Alpha of the Russet Nation and his family have gone missing. The humans are moving quickly, just yesterday I personally heard from my Beta of this threat and already it's been put into action." I said.

"How are we certain that the humans are behind the disappearance of the Alpha down in Russet Nation?" The Colonel asked.

"When has an Alpha ever gone AWOL? Let's just hope that he decided to flee before the humans actually did take action. However, it is not surprising that they would start with one of the weakest of the five. The Russet Nation has done nothing to encourage their own lycans to evolve as a new species. They have been trying to live out their lives much like the humans. We all know that can never be accomplished for our animalistic side is as alive as our beating heart." I replied.

"Has anyone tried to contact the Alpha, or has he made attempts to contact anyone in general. I am certain that by now we should have heard something from them." Jeremiah asked.

Heads shook as we contemplated what to do. Just then the large door to the bunker opened and in stepped our guards dressed in neatly polished and tied combat boots, with the Army's color dark blue suit.

"What are these men doing here?" I asked.

"They are the twenty seven soldiers that passed the tournament yesterday. I thought it a good idea for them to be here so that you can hand pick two of them to be your guards." The General Major said.

I shook my head but I became well aware of Mindy standing at the end of the line. It was strange, I couldn't catch her scent. "I appreciate the thought Major, but I will pick two experienced soldiers to be my guards. These men and women have no experience in the field yet." I replied.

"As you wish." He replied, taking his seat. Although, many of the lycans sitting here were along in age they were ready and able to step into battle.

"Have we sent our men into human territory to gather intel?" I asked the Colonel.

"Yes, Sir. As soon as news spread of the threats we shipped them off in hopes that they can return valuable information." He replied.

I nodded and finally stood from my chair. "Gentlemen, have your men and women ready. At the first sign of war I want everyone prepared. Should I be eliminated, my brother Jeremiah Ardent will step in as Alpha. You will follow his lead and trust in him, because I do." I said.

The room grew quiet and only salutes were given as I adjusted my blazer and walked towards the door. Something felt off as my eyes looked to the men and woman standing near the door. One glance is all it took to point out the human. Sweat covered every inch of his face. I could smell the unatrual horrid musk of his sweat. The red laser pointing in my direction had me quickly pivoting out of the way.

Shouts erupted the instant bullets began to fly. Talon grew alert the instant my heart raced. He stirred but I forced him to hold back. It was impossible to see where the attack was coming from. Screams echoed inside the bunker. I moved quickly dodging the flying bullets as they penetrated the wall behind me. Scooting under the table my eyes scanned the catastrophe before me.

***
~Mindy~

The news alarmed me. There was a bounty on the Alpha's head. Not that I felt the need to protect him out of my own will, however, it was my duty as a soldier in the force to protect my Alpha at all costs. My eyes stayed forward and my body was incredibly still as they discussed the matter at hand. Why would the humans thirst for more, why start a war? This sounded absolutely chaotic. Humans were known for negotiating first and them shooting later.

I wasn't one to look into their way of life or economy, but from what my grandfather had taught me they were the reason why we were alive today. They had waged a war against us long ago but hadn't we come to an agreement? Isin't that why the five nations had been build?

I wanted to say something, tell them that they were looking at this all wrong. Something was off about this. It seemed poorly planned out.

The Alpha dismissed himself, leaving his brother as the next in line should anything happen to him. My gut clenched to hear it. The thought of him being decapitated put a sour taste in my mouth, I disliked the thought but I understood why. I was trained to be faithful and willing to protect my Alpha, my Nation.

As I battled with my own thought's they were suddenly interrupted by his pause. He turned his head and looked in our direction. For a fraction of a second I believed to have seen his eyes look right at me but I was mistaken. He focused on a soldier four men away from me.

He glared, his fists clenching as he bore his penetrating blue eyes in his direction. My ears picked up the sound before the red little dot could land on his chest. My heart stopped as he looked down and then quickly avoided the shot. Chaos broke lose as the men and woman standing in line with me took a bullet to the head. Some managed to scatter and the others fell dead.

I felt my anger boil over as I looked to the vent above me. I could smell the gun powder slowly falling from it. Mariel pushed through before I could stop her. My fangs retracted and my claws spread. I crawled up the wall while the others hurried to get away or shift.

Ripping open the vent my claws digged into his shoulder and the man screamed as he thrashed under my grip. Throwing him out he landed on his back and I could hear the break of his hip as he screamed in pain. My eyes darted for the Alpha only to see he had already shifted, a large black wolf with hypnotic blue eyes, he was a sight of power and strength. I lowered to the ground as the others took prisoner the man I had thrown from the vent. The other laid dead on the grown, my Alpha's large paw over his bloody chest.

"Take him to a cell, and make sure no one get in without my say so!" The Colonel shouted.

My eyes looked around to see the Lieutenant dead, several of the twenty seven that were with me laid in a pool of their own blood. I felt my skin crawl as I looked to our Beta. He too had shifted, standing beside his brother.

"What is your name soldier!" The Colonel called.

"Rivers, Mindy." I replied, standing straight.

"That's one hell of a job. We all fled like cowards at the sound of the gun, you ran to the source of the problem." He said. I didn't reply simply nodded as he squeezed my shoulder.

"Follow the Alpha, I want you to personally stand guard at his side." He said.

I felt my blood drain at his words. Hadn't he said he didn't need anyone without experience? I fought to voice words as I looked over to our Alpha make his way to the Colornel's side. He was still in his wolf form.

Mariel stirred suddenly the instant she felt his presence, the sensation was nearly overwhelming but I stood on neutral refusing to express the uncomfortable feeling spreading underneath my skin.

"It be nice if you could calm yourself. If I recall you said we were better off." I said to Mariel.

"Do you think I like feeling this draw towards his wolf?" She asked.

"Keep yourself in check Mariel, I will not fall over him like some horny teenage girl." I sneered.

"Do not blame me for that electric sensation, you should be giving yourself the pep talk. Next time use a mirror. You forget that whatever you feel I do as well. Not the other way around." She said.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

"Alpha, she's a keeper." The Colonel said.

"Kill me now." I thought to myself.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

325K 9.7K 21
(Under Editing!) This is a sequel to 'The Alpha's little mate' Phoenix Melody Benedict had already survived death before her birth, she was given a...
387K 11.1K 28
Everly, the younger sister of an alpha that hated her guts, is a rebel and does everything opposite of what her tyrant of a brother tells her too. Ab...
414 7 44
Trigger warnings are on any chapter with difficult topics. The goal is to overcome the trauma not glorify evil. Adults only content. Many topics in...
7K 217 52
When Josephine returned to her home town after the death of her parents she was prepared to take a job at the local hospital. She wasn't prepared to...