Between the Lies

By NightTime_Storiexs

Vanessa: There's nothing I hate in this world more than I do Aaron Sinclair. Hate is the only word for it. I... More

Aesthetics
1| Rival
2| Game
3| Win
4| Secret
5| Service
6| Coffee
7| Team
8| Order
9| Lose
10| Act
11| Lace
12| Stranger
13| Dark
14| Together
15| Heart
16| Team
17| Ours
18| Close
19| Maui
21| Suite
22| Questions
23| Sunset
24| Fire
25| Picture
26| Cozy
27| Friend
28| Hidden
29| Trust
30| Almost
31| Alcohol
32| Fallen
33| Real
34| Changed
35| Scared
36| Dance
37| Promised
38| Purgatory
39| Home
40| Epilogue
!!!Next Book!!!

20| Share

22.9K 1K 598
By NightTime_Storiexs

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Share

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 20: Share (Aaron's POV)

"You should have told me," I scoffed, staring at Davidson in disbelief.

He sighed. "You know very well that Judith is friends with your mother."

"My parents are not together, Mr. Davidson. They haven't been for practically a decade, just because you're inviting her doesn't mean you have to invite him."

"It would be rude. We've worked with him in the past, he got us our house. He's our agent."

"Why is he here?"

He blinked in confusion. "You don't want your father here?"

"No, I don't."

"I would have warned you had I known that. If it helps, your mother will join us in Maui, but she won't stay the entire time. She's only dropping in for two days."

"That doesn't help. At all. Thanks," I nodded. I hate my father more than my mother does. I turned around, walking back to Vanessa, ignoring Dad and Nick who were sitting in the corner seats, working. I made it back over to Vanessa who stood right where I left her, fidgeting with the keychain on her bag. "Hey," I mumbled.

"Hey." She eyed me for a moment. "You okay?"

I nodded, humming.

She nodded towards my Dad. "Should I not ask who they are?"

"Probably not. We should just stay away from them."

She shrugged. "Okay. Can we sit down?"

"Yeah, sorry."

"It's all right." She glanced at me and then walked ahead, sitting fairly far from my dad and brother.

I stood up and she looked at me in confusion. "Do you want coffee?"

She shook her head and grabbed my t-shirt, pulling me back down. "And you don't need any either. You seem angry and coffee won't help." She leaned in a bit closer. "Why are you so mad?" she whispered.

I turned to her. "I'm..." I blinked, my eyes scanning her face.

How did Vanessa end up being the first person I didn't mind telling the truth?

I briefly looked at her from top to bottom. From her loose bun held together with a giant clip to the white simple tank, she wore under a black jacket with matching black joggers, both from Nike. And the chunky sneakers. The only piece of Adidas clothing when everything else was Nike.

My eyes came back to hers and she lifted a brow at me. "You're wearing Adidas shoes when everything else on you is Nike."

She rolled her eyes. "That is so off-topic. I asked you something. If you don't want to tell me, just say that."

"It's not that I don't want to tell you, I just don't tell anyone about this kind of stuff. Don't take it personally."

She paused, glancing over at them and then back at me. "Are they your family?"

I didn't answer her, just held her gaze.

"Oh, they are. That's your dad, huh? And your brother? I didn't know you had a brother."

"I consider them both dead. Okay?" I snapped a bit, keeping my voice down but my tone clipped.

She blinked, still trying to read me. "Okay," she nodded, dropping the subject.

"I'm getting coffee." I stood back up.

She grabbed my hand and pulled me back down.

"Vanessa—"

She locked her fingers with mine, holding our hands in her lap, and took out her phone and airpods. When she realized she needed both hands, she dropped mine and resorted to stepping on my foot.

I glanced at her shoe, which was tiny in comparison to mine, and then at her. "I can still get up."

"Don't," she warned. She plugged one airpod in her ear and the other in mine and lifted her foot off mine. "Just breathe," she said. "And drop the anger, it's not going to make things any better. Just ignore them."

"Yeah... no." I moved to stand up again but she grabbed my hand.

"You're like a dog," she scolded, resting our hands on the armrest between us. "I should keep you on a leash so you don't run away." She hit play and the volume wasn't too loud because I only had one airpod in, but it was loud enough, trust me. I stared at her as Toxic by Britney Spears started playing. She turned to me. "No? You don't like Britney?"

I sighed, looking away from her.

"Wrong playlist. Wait."

I looked back at her while she looked for different songs to play and I almost snorted as a laugh crawled up my throat. I watched her in amusement, looking away from her while my shoulders shook lightly as I laughed silently, scratching my brow with my thumb using my free hand while the other remained in hers.

"Are you laughing?"

I turned to her, shaking my head, wiping the smile off my lips, and stopping the laughter.

She held my gaze. "You were definitely laughing," she mumbled in confusion and played Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield.

I lifted a brow at her. I was surprised she listened to this song, considering it came out in 1981. It's not really a song from our time but I know it because my mom would play it around the house when I was little.

She nodded on beat with the music. "My Dad likes this song," she said, shaking her foot with the song.

"My Mom does," I replied, my foot moving with hers.

She chuckled softly, glancing at me and then resorting to looking around the airport.

We only had a few minutes left until boarding after that and Vanessa and I weren't particularly talking. We were just sitting beside each other in silence, not bothering each other or getting bothered by anything. It felt nice to be able to sit with her without it turning into an argument. I had my head tipped back and I was struggling to stay awake when I felt her patting my arm. I turned to her. "Hmm?"

"I think they're coming here. Your Dad and brother."

I looked ahead as they both stood up. Nick glanced at the watch on his wrist and then headed towards the café nearby while Dad scanned the room, spotting us. He walked over, adjusting his cufflinks.

I mean... Who the hell flies in a suit? Who wears a suit to the airport when they're going on a fucking vacation?

I rolled my eyes as he came and stood in front of us.

"It's a little rude not to come meet your father when you know he's right there, no?" he asked, pocketing his hands.

I shook my head. "No. It's not like you came to see me until just now either." I ignored the way Vanessa desperately looked around, hoping for anything to be a distraction, something to make it look like she wasn't eavesdropping even though she clearly was. "You didn't tell me you were coming on this trip," I said.

"We weren't sure we'd be joining."

"Then why did you come?"

He paused and then chuckled softly. "At least try to be respectful, Aaron."

"No. I'll pass. Respect is earned, isn't it? That's what you told me."

He held my gaze and when he realized I wouldn't back down, he diverted his attention to Vanessa. "Who's this?" he asked, offering her a polite smile that she returned.

"This is Vanessa. My co-worker."

He nodded, shaking her hand.

"And girlfriend."

Both of them turned to look at me in surprise.

I probably should have warned her I'd be lying to my family too. But I can't let my dad or Nick find out that our relationship isn't real. They're not my family and I've never even considered them to be. I have no doubt in my mind that if they had to ruin my career to prove to me that I should have joined the family business instead, then they would do it without stuttering. They'd use it against me if they knew what we were doing wasn't real.

"Yes," Vanessa said, clearing her throat, pulling her hand back into her lap. "I'm his girlfriend," she smiled.

"Well, it's... very nice to meet you, Vanessa."

"Dad." We all looked at Nick. "Your coffee."

"Thanks, son."

Vanessa looked between them, her brows furrowing and her nose scrunching up. I nudged her knee with mine and she dropped the dirty looks.

"Who's this?" Nick asked, nodding towards Vanessa while his eyes went up and down.

"This is Vanessa," she answered, smiling but lifting a daring brow at him.

He chuckled, lifting his eyes and extending a hand. "I'm Nick. Aaron's older brother."

"Aaron's girlfriend," she said, shaking his hand. He glanced at me as she pulled her hand away. "Aaron." She turned to me. "I think we're boarding."

I looked up and sure enough, everybody was already heading towards the gate. "Let's go." I stood up, ignoring the hesitation and grabbing her hand, walking towards the gate with her.

"Never mind," she mumbled, "I understand why you hate them."

I glanced at her before a flight attendant pointed us towards our seats with a smile. I let Vanessa walk ahead of me.

She mumbled each seat number under her breath until we reached our seats and she stopped, spinning to face me and almost crashing into me, not realizing how close we were standing. "We're sitting together," she said quietly. "Isn't Davidson practically holding us hostage? Sticking us together in every situation possible?"

I shrugged. "It's a long flight, Griffin. Do you think you can handle me?"

She scoffed, "Please. I've been handling you since college. I want the window seat."

"All yours."

She scooted inside and sat down, immediately looking out the window like an overly-excited little girl. "This feels like a set-up," she mumbled, leaning in closer to me so nobody around us could hear.

"What does?" I asked in confusion.

"Davidson is making us share everything. A ride to work, plane seats, what if—" She cut herself short, meeting my eyes. I lifted my brows in question but she shook her head. "Nothing. Forget it. I shouldn't jinx it."

"There's nothing else he could possibly make us share, Vanessa."

She glanced at me out of the corner of her eye but said nothing. "I hope for both our sakes that you're right, Sinclair."

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter 20

I know most rival to lovers books are almost enemies to lovers but I honestly think rivals to lovers is a bit better. you see the 'enemies' aspect so much more. Unless ofc one character is trying to kill the other one.

Also, do y'all want smut in this book cuz I low key want to write it, let me know your thoughts

next chapter: suite

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.9K 1.5K 31
Book 1 of The Flaw Series. You can't scream at the world and expect the world not to scream back. Via is the type of girl who loves to live in it w...
101K 4.1K 55
IMPORTANT: The story contains lots of swooning moments, funny insults, chaotic and HOT situations, staring contests with a couple of intense blue eye...
127 8 11
When Maddie first bumped into her new neighbor Alek (literally), things went south fast. Some could say it was hate at first sight. In real life, the...
71.3K 2.5K 35
I met a girl six years back. She was everything I thought I never wanted. But how incredibly wrong was I? But one day she left. Just like that. For a...