UnCompromised

נכתב על ידי Benjamin_Elrod

This is a continuation of the Unwind Dystology by Neal Shusterman. Find out my interpretation of what happens... עוד

2 - Risa
3 - Ariana
4 - Connor

1 - Connor

33 1 0
נכתב על ידי Benjamin_Elrod

"There are places we can go," Risa tells him. "And the two of us stand a decent chance at surviving now that most of America's on our side."

Connor stares right into Risa's eyes, melting away the apprehension swelling inside him. She doesn't know how much of a nostalgia shock she just gave him in those few encouraging words. His unhealed brain aches with the uncanny blast to the past as they rest in his past self's favorite hiding spot above the highway. He rubs his forehead, which shoots pain into the seams on Roland's arm. No, his arm. The shark tattoo that used to mock him now reminds him of the two years he spent evading his own unwinding, protecting other AWOLs from theirs, and returning to Sonia's antique shop, which held the secrets to eradicating unwinding as a whole.

The thought of everything he experienced in such a short time of his life nearly splits the seams in his brain.

Risa gently rubs his real arm, minding the pain it causes him. "Did I say something wrong?" she asks.

"No, not at all." He lowers his right arm and clenches the bar below him. The rumbling beneath them rattles his insides, reminding him of the hundreds of times he hid atop the highway in his years before the unwind order signed his damnation. "I just had a bit of déjà vu is all. When I said we should come up here for awhile, I didn't mention that this used to be my favorite place to hang out before . . . everything."

He catches her glance, and they exchange a quick smile. Risa leans over and gives him a quick peck on the cheek before resting her head on his shoulder. "Well, now it can be our favorite spot."

A comforting silence befalls them, one that neither dares to break. Connor observes the endless sea of cars below them. The semi-trucks bring back the memory of his first night kicking-AWOL, when he met the trucker with the grafted hand that performed incredible card tricks. The thought immediately reminds him of Starkey; he then realizes how the events from the past two years of his life form a full circle.

"You're too deep in thought again," Risa warns, lifting her head and shifting a bit closer to him. She grins, but the concern in her eyes overrides her masquerade. "I wish you would relax for awhile, especially now that the Juvies aren't hunting us down anymore. Sure, there's much we still have to fight—and I doubt we'll ever truly have peace—but you should rest for now. Especially with those scars of yours."

He nods. "You being with me has been an incredible benefit. I've just been finding myself reflecting on everything that's brought us to this moment. If you ask me, I think it's important to remember the history that shaped you."

"True, but don't obsess yourself over it. We can only look forward now."

"Such a wise woman to a feeble man."

"Save your compliments for the media. Those vultures will eat up anything we give them now." Risa leans over and kisses him again, this time longer than the first. That finally shuts him up.

Connor dwells on her words and decides that maybe it is time to take a step back and let the world's worries melt away, even if it's just for one night. He glances down at the shark tattoo once again, feeling its eyes no longer boring into him like a predator, but understanding the connection that he and Roland have built together since it was grafted on. Their exhilarating day at the Capitol in front of thousands—or millions—of people has taken its mighty toll on his strength. He smiles, a genuine emotion that washes over him and comforts him for the rest of his evening with Risa.

Early dawn light cracks through his bedroom window several weeks later. With November nearing its end and December swiftly approaching, most of America would be making Christmas preparations. The Lassiters, on the other hand, take a different approach. As his parents have now accepted him and Risa back into their home, their presence has planted a ticking time bomb. Planning too far ahead for a life of normalcy in one of the world's most infamous locations could be detrimental. Per usual, Connor and the others play it by ear.

"Morning, sunshine," Risa says, grogginess filling her voice.

"I thought we said to never use cheesy names for each other."

"It's amusing in an ironic way. And anyway, not even a simple 'good morning'?"

"Good morning."

"Very funny. Let me get up, please."

Connor rolls his eyes and pulls himself out of bed, figuring out whether all women are indecisive in their emotions or if it makes Risa unique. He accidentally bumps his elbow into the nightstand and mutters a low curse that he hopes Risa didn't hear. She gives him a playful slap on the wrist and leaves the room. He takes the short time she's gone to dress himself for the day.

When she returns, he steps out and allows her time to get changed. The hallway floor creaks beneath his feet as he heads toward the stairs and descends into the living room. Only then does he realize he doesn't know the time. No matter. His and Risa's interview with show host Neil Nadine isn't for another three days. Before then, he has plenty of time to enjoy with Risa and his family, even if they're going into each day blindly.

"Morning, Mom," he greets as he enters the kitchen. His mother is sitting at the round table off in the dining room, a cup of steaming coffee between her hands. She glances up from her trance at the sound of his voice. "You and Dad sleep well?"

"I did, but he didn't," is all she says. She tries to offer him a smile, but he can sense the forcefulness behind it. "What about you and Risa?"

"Slept like babies. Seen Lucas this morning?"

"Not yet."

Small talk is not Connor's strong suit; it's something he genuinely hates. The problem is, he doesn't know how to talk to his parents anymore. Though he's willing to forgive them with time, every interaction is filled with awkward conversations and forced laughters that shroud their feelings. Risa has chided him several times for not taking a stronger initiative, but he hasn't recovered from the two years his parents unknowingly subjected him to. As much as he wishes that they could paint over those dark times, it's just not that simple.

The others enter the kitchen half past eight, and they eat a silent breakfast broken only by spoons clanking against bowls. Risa pats Connor's knee and shoots him a glance. You should try starting a simple conversation, at least, her eyes say. Well, that won't be a walk in the park, but he supposes it might be worth a shot.

How wrong he was to make assumptions.

"So, Mom told me you didn't sleep too well last night," Connor starts. He makes eye contact with his father, who hardly looks up afterward. "Something troubling you?"

"No, it's nothing," his dad brushes off. "Just couldn't fall asleep."

"Come on, Dad. You and I both know that's a lie. You never had insomnia issues before . . ." His voice dissipates, waving the first red flag that he should've shut his mouth.

"Well, a lot's changed between now and then." Having only eaten a few bites of cereal, his father excuses himself and dumps the contents into the trash. Connor notes the aggravation in his voice.

"Please, Dad," he presses. "I just wanna know if there's something I can do to help."

"Connor," Risa warns, grasping his shoulder. A sharp pain aches in his seams, but he ignores it. "Let it go."

"Know what? There is something you can do." Connor notices his father's eyes fill with a few tears. "You and your girlfriend here can leave."

He and Risa are taken aback. Lucas stands up but keeps silent. Their mother sits but grabs his father's arm similar to Risa.

"W-what?" Connor doesn't know what to think.

"Leave. Now!"

"But why? What've we done, Dad? I was just wanting to start a normal conversation! We've not seen each other for two years, and now you want me gone? It's gonna take time, but I want to repair the relationship we never really had! You kicking us out won't solve anything!"

"But you don't understand, Connor. I've been paranoid for the last weeks you two have been here, always worrying that some unwinding radical will come by and murder us all! Or we'll be swarmed by endless media outlets wanting to hear the history of the Akron AWOL and his family! God knows, we could be thrown in prison for the rest of our lives if the radicals gathered in enough protest! I can't sleep well at night with that fear nagging at my mind like a parasite! So please, for my sake, leave."

"But Dad—"

"Take Risa with you."

"Da—"

"I SAID LEAVE!!"

Dead silence rings throughout the dining room. Connor's mother is choking back sobs, Lucas is standing wide-eyed, Risa and Connor are in utter surprise, and his father is red-faced with rage.

"Alright then," Connor agrees, pulling away from Risa and walking toward the stairs. "We'll have it your way, I suppose. Always had to be then, and I guess it still is now. Hey, you three ever enjoy that slap-in-the-face Bahamas vacation? I'll assume not for now, but making assumptions has nearly gotten me killed dozens of times. Whatever. Come on, Risa. We're packing up and leaving."

Connor leaves without another word.

"What are we supposed to do now? Thanks to your petty argument, we've been stranded on the streets again! And a couple days before an important interview with Neil Nadine that could set everyone at ease!"

"Tell me something I don't know."

They walk down the street, leaving his home once more in the past. Neither packed more than a backpack's worth of necessities for their aimless journey. The sunlight provides them some warmth on an otherwise chilly day, which alleviates some of the resentment he was working on overcoming. Back to square one.

"You should've listened to me before the situation exploded. Maybe we could have worked something out."

"In my defense, you gave me a look suggesting that I should try and initiate a normal conversation. You've been bugging me about it since we moved in."

"I never intended on you creating an argument!"

"Neither did I." He stops, and their eyes meet. He notices the hints of fear swimming in hers. "But I don't blame you one bit. Maybe this is for the best. Settling down there almost instantly wasn't a smart decision on either of our parts, especially since it's a predictable move for those looking for our heads."

Her voice snaps into a brighter tone. "Look at you thinking ahead! I'm proud."

"Yeah yeah, whatever." He waves his hand, and they resume walking.

Connor's heart nearly leaps out of his mouth, which sends severe pains through his scars.

No, that can't be.

Is it?

But there's no reason for her to be here!

You're imagining it.

Look again! It's her!

A girl around his age wanders down the sidewalk toward them. No, not just a girl. Ariana. His childhood friend that abandoned him the night he kicked-AWOL. Her blonde hair shines in the sun, making her features more prominent. All of a sudden he wonders whether or not she changed the pigment in her eyes. What were they last time, violet? Or gray?

"Get back!" he whispers, pulling Risa behind a bush with him.

"Why? What's going on?"

"Shhh!"

He peeks just over the top of the bush and notices Ariana staring straight at them. Oh great! First an argument with his dad, next a reunion with a friend who abandoned him in his lowest times! What a day!

"What're you staring at?" Risa pries, tugging on the hood of his sweatshirt. "You're kind of starting to freak me out. Please don't tell me it's Nelson again."

"No, Argent's dealing with him. It's someone else that I knew a few years ago. I just want to avoid confrontation."

"Is that you, Connor?"

Connor's spirits drop off a cliffside. He turns away from Risa and finds Ariana looming over them, her hair inches from his face. With her face shadowed out, he can't tell whether her eyes are still the same or if she got another injection. Her mouth is halfway between a grin and a grimace.

"What the hell happened to you? And is that Risa Ward?"

"Ariana, keep your voice down! I don't want to be hounded by the neighbors!"

"Sorry. Could you stand up so I don't have to lean over like this? My back's been giving me issues recently."

They comply, and she instantly drags him into an abrasive hug. He wants to scream since his seams ache again, but he bites his lip. Risa keeps quiet behind them during their momentary embrace, but Connor notices the jealous anger in her eyes when he pulls away from Ariana. Payback for how you he treated her about Cam, he decides.

"It's been forever since we've seen each other! I'm glad to see that you made it to eighteen in one piece!"

"Well . . ." he starts.

"Well what?" She stares into his eyes, and he realizes that she does, in fact, still have that same pigment he remembered from the night before his AWOL adventure.

"Noth—"

"Hi!" Risa interjects, pushing herself between Connor and Ariana. "I'm Risa Ward. You may or may not have seen me on T.V. or in advertising pieces for Proactive Citizenry. I'm Connor's girlfriend. I guess you're an old friend of his?"

"Y-yeah . . . I've known him since we were nine." Ariana backs up, her eyes exemplifying her startled expression. "We even dated before his unwind order was signed."

"Guess that went up in flames, huh?"

"Risa, that's enough, please," Connor says. "If we wanna avoid a confrontation with these neighbors, we should get moving."

"If you don't mind my asking, where're you two headed?" Ariana asks.

"Away from here," Risa answers before he can. "He and I have an important thing to get to in a few days. It'll take us months to get there at this rate. Nice to meet you, Ariana; now, we'd better be going."

But she doesn't leave, even when they start walking.

"You never explained what happened to you," she persists. "Like, what's wrong with your eye? And where'd that shark tattoo come from? I thought you were always against tattoos. Wait, why are you covered in scars all over your arms, face, and neck?"

Connor turns around to make a clear point. "Listen, Ariana. It's been great meeting you again after all this time. I do mean that. But our time together, our friendship really, died the night I kicked-AWOL. I know that's something I should be long over considering my insane past two years, but the betrayal still stings. Risa and I need to go. We have an important place to be in Akron—of all places. We'll be traveling forever on foot before we can find a bus stop, and this is only slowing us down."

She sighs, a defeated look overwhelming her. "Fine. I guess you two gotta take care of your business, whatever it is. But let me just throw this out there: I can get you to your destination much quicker than walking and riding the bus."

That makes Connor and Risa take her seriously, even if for just a moment. They exchange a quick glance, both apprehensive about treading this unknown territory.

"And what's that, Ariana?"

"I can drive you two there, no problem. Come on, daylight's burning real fast.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

1M 38K 90
𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲, 𝗹𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗿, 𝗔𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 �...
518K 18.6K 94
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
1.2M 48.5K 53
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
144K 8K 43
╰┈➤ *⋆❝ 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐢'𝐝 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬 𝐮𝐩 𝐚 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐩 𝐭𝐨 𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲? 𝐢 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐲 �...