The Demon King's Beloved Daug...

arandomsecret által

Freya Antinea Laphinia woke up from an assassination attempt with memories of her previous life. She reincarn... Több

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
~Christmas Special~
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60

20

14.6K 703 21
arandomsecret által

In the dimly lit library, Freya used her arms as a cushion as she laid her head on them and rested her eyes. The little sunlight that seeped through the curtains lightly brushed against her delicate features.

She was taking a small break after reading through a few philosophy books. The concepts of demons weren't really different from humans, it's just a tad wilder.

Her eyelashes quivered slightly when she felt someone coming into the library, she pretended to be asleep. Two demons, these footsteps weren't her dad's nor was it Caiden's. She gripped her dagger steadily in the hidden compartment of her dress.

The moment one of them entered her vicinity, she swung the dagger to where she predicted the throat to be. Freya cast the intruder a cold glance from the corner of her eyes while the dagger pressed onto their neck.

A familiar face entered her sight, Austin stood there with his hands held up obediently. His amber eyes that were widened slightly went back to normal as he grinned at her cheekily. These two tend to change the way their footsteps sound for fun.

Freya lowered the dagger as she scolded, "Idiots, didn't you learn how to knock?"

"We didn't want to wake you up." Austin defended, earning a sigh from Freya.

She clicked her tongue but she couldn't help softening her gaze. She mercilessly retorted, "So you rather be killed? You should be glad I used the dagger instead of my pistol."

"...well, I was prepared. I would've avoided it if I deemed it was dangerous." Austin explained as if he was wronged, like a puppy that was accused of stealing a drumstick by its owner.

Freya rolled her eyes and didn't continue with the topic, in terms of strength, the twins were several times better than her. They can use buffs and spells, it's not fair!

While they were talking, Alistar silently took off his coat and draped it on Freya. She was wearing a sleeveless dress today, it was quite cold in the library. She had the habit of blasting the winter crystals to their lowest temperature.

Freya thanked Alistar and asked languidly, "So, what are you guys doing here? You guys visited yesterday."

The twins usually visited very frequently so Freya wasn't surprised. When they were younger, they would bug their father to teleport them here. After learning how to teleport themselves, they visited Freya at least every four days to play.

Freya had to thank the fact they had school, or else they would've visited every day. It's not like she hated playing with them, but it was tiring. The two little monkeys made her run here and there until she was devastated.

It had only gotten better in recent years. After growing up, they finally understood the beauty of sitting and sipping tea peacefully while reading a book or two. Freya that was spared from stamina training felt ecstatic.

"Tsk, we're going to Academy tomorrow. I'm scared you're going to miss me too much so I came to see you." Austin tutted.

Freya was genuinely impressed, how thick-skinned was he to say something like that with a straight face? Freya was about to tear that skin off but Alistar beat her to it, "Are you sure you're not the one missing her?"

Freya was expecting Austin to retort, but his reaction made her eyes widen before letting out a chuckle. His ears flushed pink but he was still trying his best to keep his composure.

"Are you not going to miss us?" Alistar turned to Freya, she could practically feel his anticipation through those droopy eyes. He reminded her of a golden retriever. 

Alistar was usually very reticent and silent, he likes to convey his feelings through action. But when he speaks, he gets straight to the point.

"Of course." Freya gently knocked her knuckles on their foreheads.

Though not connected by blood, these two were her little brothers (mentally), her childhood friends, they grew up together. She was used to them being by her side, of course, she couldn't help feeling a little sad.

She sighed, they grew up so fast, they were so cute when they were younger. Is this how it feels like to be a parent?

During the first two years of attending the academy, students weren't allowed to go home as they pleased. They were only allowed to return during the two holidays, one at mid-year and the other at the end of the year or when an emergency occurs at home.

After the second year, they can decide whether they want to remain at the dormitory or go back home after classes. She felt nostalgic, Luca whined for a whole two weeks about how lonely he was without her during his first break.

"I'll be a little lonely." She sighed honestly. "But it's only for two years."

Both of them hugged her almost simultaneously, they were the ones who were most reluctant to part with her. She patted their backs, it was only now that she realized, the two little brats from before have already surpassed her height by a head.

Freya was glad they agreed to go to the Academy instead of fussing to take the exam with her. She took so much time to convince them. They are still young and need more friends.

"It's been a while since I've seen you two duel." She pulled away from the hug, "Can I see it before you guys go?"

It was a request from Freya, they would never bear to reject anything she wants. The twins followed behind her to the training room, as if they were guarding her.

Freya sat in the viewing area and watched intently. The two were evenly matched in terms of magic, so Freya specially requested them not to use it.

Austin pulled out a black obsidian claymore from the stigma on the back of his hand while Alistar pulled out a transparent crystal sword from his.

As the two weapons clashed, something landed on Freya's lap making her jolt. She soon relaxed when she saw that it was Cinder, he snuggled against her before falling asleep again.

Freya patted it lovingly, she didn't bring the creature to the library before because it was sleeping soundly on her bed, she didn't have the heart to wake it up. Cinder who felt anxious without his master's presence, searched for Freya the second he woke up.

As she stroked Cinder, her eyes went back to the twins. The way Austin fought was wild and straightforward. With every swing, one can feel his immeasurable power.

On the contrary, Alistar was very elegant and restrained. Every move was made after much consideration and calculation. The style of the two was like the sun and the moon.

Freya enjoyed the scene, a smile tugged on her lips, they've improved. She didn't need to worry about them, they would be fine at the academy.

Freya was someone who felt uneasy about every single little thing. Though she never expressed it, the anxiety she felt every day had suffocated her to the point that she felt she might go crazy.

She was someone who initially had nothing, now she had everything she could ever ask for. She was afraid everything would vanish...she didn't want to lose anything.

Was she being too greedy? This happiness and warmth was a double-edged sword but she couldn't help but want to monopolize it all. Like a child who had tasted the sweetness of candy, she didn't want to go back to eating tasteless and stale rice crackers.

"I've seen enough." Her angelic voice reverberated in the training hall. Freya chuckled, even if they fought all the way until midnight, there would be no victor.

The two were exhausted after fighting with someone with the same strength, they walked towards Freya and collapsed beside her.

They both leaned against her, resting each of their heads on her shoulders. They've been doing this since they were children. Her butterflies handed the water bottles to them under her command.

"Happy 13th birthday, Alistar, Austin." She beamed as she patted their heads. "Stop sulking, I remember. The party is tonight anyways, I can't forget even if I wanted to."

She recalled their surprised face when she asked them why they were here and giggled. Her giggle made the two look at her, both of their gazes were gentle, how can they not love her?

Freya put a small box in each of their hands and asked them to open it. A dark green crystal butterfly flew out of Alistar's box while a light green one flew out of Austin's.

The butterflies fluttered and flew up, leaving traces of sparkles as they flew. They flew in front of them and wrote a big and shiny 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' before shooting into the twins' chest, making both of them grunt.

"For protection." She took the initiative to explain, "It can prevent one fatal injury."

The two looked at her stunned, "The butterflies are a part of your soul...you can't just-"

"It's fine, it won't activate unless you're about to die. It's just for precaution, in case I don't arrive in time. " She interrupted with a smile. Her voice turned pitiful, "Are you going to nag me on your birthday?"

Their brows furrowed, even if it's a fragment, if the soul is harmed...she'll suffer the consequences of excruciating pain or even memory loss. But for Freya, a little pain was nothing compared to their safety.

"Thank you." Both of them whispered making Freya smile.

The three sat there silently, enjoying each other's companion. It definitely won't be the last time they spend their time with each other but it would certainly be a long time until the next time. 

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

2.7K 52 16
Formerly, "I Took In A Weakened Goddess, And Now I've Been Reincarnated In A New World" --- At that moment, I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger...
670K 25.2K 30
Going by the name of Olivia Aim - a 22-year-old woman. She was an orphan and had been living in the slums, often killing and stealing to survive. Sh...
142K 4.7K 28
[Completed] Misha Hilung, a sadist and a narcissist. A working adult that works at a company and has a hobby of reading fantasy novels or playing oto...
3.9K 161 14
Available at my Ko-fi page only. Soon to be release in google books. Follow ko-fi.com/bellaxtina _______________________________ SYNOPSIS Imagine wa...