Eight of Hearts: The Vision...

By james72487

Having broken free of the clutches of the corrupt inter-dimensional police force, the survivors set out to le... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 21

2 1 0
By james72487

The sound of the cheering crowd, the stamping feet, the outraged cries of those who lost their gambles, all shook the coliseum to its core. But despite the chaos outside, there was an even greater chaos occurring in the barracks the eight friends shared. It should have been empty, as they all watched the showdown between Jonas, Bryce, Rhea, and Chad. But there was one boy with pure white hair who had receded from the excitement to rest.

Isaac Matthews, who's smile never seemed to falter, lay on the floor beside his bunk, gripping his head in his hands. His head throbbed painfully as he tried to prevent what he knew was about to happen. With his psychic power, there was a cost. That cost was always physical, varying from a headache, to nausea, to hunger, to a full bladder. And that price was sometimes paid long before, or even long after his power had been used. Now it seemed that the time had come to redeem the price he had paid when he had fallen asleep halfway up the rock-climbing wall in the first round. And despite his best efforts, there was nothing he could do to stop the vision that rushed into his mind.

Bryce Sheffield stood alone on the battlefield, ignored by the people that fought around him. His face held an expression of despair as he watched ally and enemy alike fall and turn to dust.

"Why?"

The only word he spoke echoed flatly across the war-ravaged plains. His attention was drawn to a large barrier of light that stretched from one end of the sky to the other. A wound had opened up in the barrier, and through it the dust of the dead was drawn in, until only Bryce remained.

Then with a terrible rending noise, the barrier ripped apart, and the shadow that had been trapped behind it surged toward Bryce. Weapons of all shapes and sizes formed and dissipated on the surface of the crushing storm. Faces flitted in and out of the dark mist; faces of people he knew. It was the culmination of madness given shape.

Amid the howling rage of the black wave was the repeated question: "why?"

And then Bryce was crushed under the wave, and died.

"Alright, they're wrapping things up," Gabe whispered as he and Cecil slowly worked their way through the tunnels beneath the coliseum. "We should hurry up if we want to avoid getting caught."

"And you are sure the Blade of Rifts is being kept down here?" Cecil asked for the fifth time since they began their trek.

Gabe grunted in annoyance, but chose to answer the question again anyway. "I told you, I saw it myself when they arrested James. They are afraid of it, since they don't know how it works; they think it's a Herrenvolk relic, so they aren't taking any chances with it."

"Ah, yes, the sight. Forgive me but it's hard to imagine you can see anything while wearing those tinted eye glasses, let alone what is happening where you are not," Cecil commented. "And why are you bringing me on this little escapade? Surely one of the others would be a better fit."

Gabe was silent for a long time, his expression difficult to read in the dim artificial light of the tunnels. "You're an illusionist, aren't you?" Gabe finally said. "You're the only one I have trouble seeing. It's like you're just a shadow instead of--" Gabe cut himself off before he could finish the thought. "Sorry, I didn't mean--"

"Think nothing of it," Cecil said with a smile. "You are a very perceptive young man, and you should be proud of your talents. Yes, I am an illusionist as you say, although my talent is little more than parlour tricks compared to what you are capable of." Cecil tapped his cane against the floor as he walked, as though he were feeling his way through the dark halls. "I merely assumed you would have already handled this on your own with your prodigious abilities."

Gabe's face reddened with embarrassment. "I believed that you might be our best chance at recovering the blade for Bryce, and bringing an end to Circé's business."

"Of course!" Cecil proclaimed, gesturing ahead with his cane as he lengthened his stride. "Better late than never, I always say. Even if no one else trusts you after this, I understand you well enough. In fact, you should come with us when we leave! We could use a man like you on our journey."

Gabe shook his head. "I can't handle being away from the draining linden trees for too long, so that's not going to work for me. Besides, I promised Kaya I would help see things through to the end here."

Cecil shrugged, shaking his head in disappointment. "Ah well, don't beat yourself up. I've known far too many men who wasted away to nothing over regrets and self-loathing."

Bryce sat toward the back of the feasting hall, watching the celebration with a sense of peace. It felt strange to not be the center of attention after such a monumental showdown, especially with his satisfaction at the results. Rhea and her team were declared the victors, and so the celebration was in their honor, not his.

The events following the tournament had passed like a blur, and now it was already the day of the feast. Nobody had seen Chad since the tournament, but word was he was still recovering from his injuries. Bryce was fine with this, since he wasn't keen on bumping into him after what happened during the tournament. Best not to provoke him, Bryce figured.

Circé herself was another matter; she had a mastery for maintaining her composure, despite the financial loss she had suffered. Rhea had won the freedom of every participant, and had immediately burned the contracts binding them to her. The wristbands that had deterred them from escaping were removed, and they had become no more than guests at the circus once more. Circé had honored the tournament rules down to the letter, all with that same smile that hid the venom within.

The only problem was James Garland; Shyla had been freed immediately along with the rest, but James's freedom was forfeited because of what happened to Tavros. He was also being kept in a secret facility, different from the low-security building Shyla had been held in. Circé no doubt would have honored her deal with Bryce and freed him as well, had Bryce only followed through with his end of the bargain. But with Rhea the victor, and with Chad still alive, the deal was no longer on the table.

But still, he had to admire the air of genuine excitement she radiated as she hosted the celebration feast. She even served coffee made from the beans they had used to pay for entry into the fairgrounds, something that astounded the guests. Many of the people present had never tasted coffee before, and even Rhea seemed impressed by the display of opulence.

The dignitaries and businessmen who were attending the feast seemed less enthusiastic about the outcome than Circé was. The glares they shot at Rhea's table were dangerous, and Bryce had no doubt that many of them had lost a great deal of their own money on the outcome of the tournament. If it wasn't for Circé's control, things might have gotten ugly today.

As the ceremonies and speeches wrapped up, Gabe slipped away from his seat and headed over to Bryce. Even as part of the winning team, nobody paid any attention to him, which Bryce was beginning to see as a blessing rather than a curse.

"The plan's good to go," Gabe said, keeping his voice low so only Bryce could hear. "Thirty minutes to showdown."

Bryce nodded without looking at him. "Thanks again, Gabe; I'll be sure not to waste this opportunity."

Gabe walked past him and left the hall without another word, completely unnoticed by the party-goers. Bryce looked around the room, spotting each of his companions where they waited at their posts for his signal.

Flora stood by the drink station, chatting amiably with Sophie, the woman who had still not quite dropped her maid instincts, and was trying to make sure each guest was served. Shyla was engaged in conversation with several of the wealthier looking businessmen; her smile conveyed confidence that indicated she was used to events like these. Jonas leaned against the opposite wall, sipping slowly from a cup of coffee, though by his expression it was clear he wasn't impressed with the taste.

As Bryce caught their eyes in turn, he blinked three times; each nodded slowly in response before excusing themselves to leave the room. Bryce stood and set his own cup down on the table, then made his way over to Circé.

Circé looked up as he approached, breaking off her conversation with an older gentleman and flashing him a smile. Bryce felt a chill run down his spine when he saw the look in her eyes.

"Captain Sheffield!" Circé exclaimed, "I'm glad to see you've recovered so swiftly! If only my champion had your vitality, he would be here today."

Bryce nodded in greeting to the older gentleman, but the only response was a frosty glare. "It's all thanks to your doctors, Circé," Bryce answered with a courteous bow. "I still have a limp, but at this rate I'll be ready to run a marathon by this time tomorrow."

Circé laughed, giving the frosty gentleman beside her a playful shove that he took as a signal to leave. "Oh, please! There's no need to be so formal! You are a guest here, and it is only right that I should make sure your needs are met."

Bryce became serious as he met her eyes. "In that case, I need to speak with you in private."

Circé's smile never wavered, but there was a long moment of silence before she spoke. "I'm the host; I can't just leave the party when it's only just begun." She gestured to the long tables lined with food. "You should eat something! Relax, and enjoy yourself! You may not have won the tournament, but I daresay you beat me at my game yesterday."

"You don't seem too upset by it," Bryce observed.

"Why should I be?" Circé asked with the first genuine smile Bryce had seen on her since the party started. "This may not be the ideal outcome, but this will only serve to tempt others to test their fortune. There's been a gradual decline in the number of new participants each season, but this will no doubt bring in many more who wish to make a name, or a life for themselves."

She began to stroll slowly toward one of the windows, while Bryce followed close behind. "Your rejection of my offer pains me, but as long as this world remains in such a broken state, people will come. This place remains a beacon of hope to the people, and an important labor resource for countries all around the world."

"And if there were a way to stop the cursed mana storms from threatening the people?" Bryce asked.

Circé stopped and turned to fix him with a cold stare. "You've been talking to Rhea, haven't you?"

Bryce didn't answer.

"She is delusional if she thinks a single linden tree will change anything," Circé continued. "Let me guess: she told you that the dryad blood contained within its bark would bring new life to the tree if it is fed enough energy. That the resulting tree would bring a resurgence to life to rival myths and legends."

Rhea hadn't actually told him any of that, but Bryce kept his face expressionless as he waited for Circé to continue.

"Maybe you don't know any better because you can't feel the effects of the tree's life-draining power, but it will never give life instead. It will only take and take, until there is nothing left."

Circé's tone was as cold as her eyes, and Bryce had no doubt she believed what she was saying.

"She won the tournament, so she can have her little tree; but the scientist belongs to me. I am the law. I am the owner and the proprietor. I will be the one light in this dark world. Even if this world is ravaged, there will be peace. And I will crush anyone who threatens my peace."

Gone was the seductress who had tried to bargain with Bryce. In her place stood a proud and powerful woman who held what Bryce had once wanted for himself. Chad Rayner, the champion himself, had only a sliver of the fame and fortune Circé held. And that had all been taken away in an instant.

Colonel was right: it really wasn't worth chasing glory if it was so fragile.

"You own nothing," Bryce said softly. "The people you've enslaved are not your property. And if there is hope for restoring this world, it should be done. It will be done."

Circé glared at him defiantly, looking ready to strike him if he dared to threaten her. But Bryce did nothing. He didn't need to.

Outside the window, which overlooked the western end of the park, an explosion lit up the night. The whole building shook, sending guests stumbling to the floor. The lights flickered several times, but miraculously stayed on.

Bryce held Circé's unflinching gaze as the shaking finally settled. "You may find your contracts have unionized without the controller for the wristbands threatening their lives," he said with a smile. He turned and walked away before Circé could stop him.

"How dare you," she called after him. "How dare you! After everything I've done to make sure this world is safe! If people die because of this, it's on your head!"

Bryce kept walking, ignoring the dazed partygoers still struggling to their feet.

Rhea and the others spread the word quickly that the wristbands were harmless. There was chaos in the streets as people, finally freed from their contract to Circé, rushed toward the exit. The gatekeeper tried to hold the first few back, but as their numbers grew he finally stepped aside and let them leave.

Rhea stayed behind with two of Bryce's friends as they hurried to where James was being held, led by Gabe. The holding cells weren't far from the coliseum, but it was still far enough away that Rhea was tired of listening to them bickering by the time they got there.

"All I did was short out the power source," the girl called Shyla was saying defensively. "I didn't expect the server to be so big!"

"That explosion could have killed me!" Tobias insisted. "And what if there had been people inside? There's no way they could have survived that!"

"There was nobody inside," Gabe insisted. "The whole system is handled remotely; nobody ever goes inside unless they're expanding it."

"Well, you could have warned us," Tobias insisted.

He was probably right; the resulting explosion from their sabotage had looked impressive, even from where Rhea had been waiting. But arguing over the results wouldn't do them any good now; they needed to rescue James and get out before Circé tried to get revenge.

"I'm still trying to get a feel for how it works," Shyla insisted. "I'd like to see you try to master electrical engineering in less than a week."

"Alright, alright," Tobias muttered irritably. "It's par for the course anyway."

Tobias was the one delegated to carrying the rift blade. Rhea was surprised that someone with so many insecurities was trusted with such a powerful weapon, but it wasn't her place to question it. What mattered most to her was that Shyla had been able to extract a piece of data for her from the server before she destroyed it: the location of her fiancé.

"We're almost there," Gabe cut in before they could find something else to argue about. He led them between two service buildings, then stopped beside a circular opening that was sealed by a metal grate.

"We're not going through the ventilation, are we?" Tobias asked, looking dubiously at the opening.

"Would you rather go through the sewer pipes instead?" Gabe asked as he pulled out a pocket knife and started working at the screws.

Tobias grunted, then slashed the air with the rift blade. "Here," he said as a gash appeared in the space he had cut. "This should...probably take us inside."

Gabe straightened and gave him a smile that was nearly hostile. "Thank goodness you are useful for something, Mr. Smiley," he said with heavy sarcasm. "I'm glad you were able to contribute with someone else's weapon."

"Be nice!" Rhea scolded Gabe before he went too far. Then to Tobias she said, "Just ignore him; he's not much of a people-person."

They passed through the portal to find themselves in a dark tunnel lit only by a sickly blue fluorescent light that flickered every few seconds. The walls were made from the same rough stone as the coliseum, and Rhea half expected to hear the skittering of a scorpion charging toward them at any moment.

But the only sound she heard was a muffled voice, either singing or chanting in a low, ominous way. The reverberations made it impossible to tell which way the voice was coming from, but Gabe picked a direction and started walking without hesitation.

The tunnel curved into a downward slope, marked occasionally by another light fixture or door. But Gabe kept leading them down, passing each door without pausing. Eventually the tunnel floor leveled out again, and Rhea could hear the voice much more clearly now. This lowest section was designed to hold criminals, but since Circé usually found work for even the worst of criminals, it rarely saw use.

Gabe finally stopped in front of a large barred cell door. Inside Rhea could see James, standing with his back to them with his hands on his hips, as he shouted angrily at the wall: "Say what you will, sir, but I know what I know; that you beat me at the mart, I have your hand to show: if the skin were parchment, and the blows you gave were ink, your own handwriting would tell you what I think."

"James?" Shyla said, breaking the awkward silence that had fallen over the others. "Are you okay?"

James spun around, his eyes lighting up with surprise. "Shyla? Oh, hey guys!"

"Hey," Tobias said, "what's with the Shakespeare?"

"I remembered I have a project due for Drama class, so I figured I'd practice," James explained with a shrug. "I've got to make sure I'm ready for when we get back home."

"You should share some of that optimism with Tobias," Shyla teased.

Tobias grunted irritably as he slashed the air between them, opening a gash in the air. A second gash appeared directly beneath James's feet, and he fell through with an unmanly squeak, tumbling to the floor outside of his cell. He leapt quickly to his feet with a broad smile, then rushed to Shyla and hugged her. Rhea couldn't help but notice Shyla tense at his sudden embrace.

"I knew you'd come to rescue me," James said, squeezing her tight.

Shyla slowly relaxed, then returned his hug, the brief internal conflict passed. When he finally released her, she looked pale, though whether that was from the fluorescent lights, or something else entirely, Rhea couldn't tell.

James turned to Tobias. "Alright, are you ready to get out of here?" he asked, flashing another confident smile.

Tobias, who until now had seemed tense and reserved, visibly relaxed and smiled back at his best friend. "Lead the way," he said.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 129 19
I never knew that betrayal would come my way...especially when it was my own blood who commited the crime. The person I love...the family I once knew...
101 10 4
In a post-apocalyptic world, Zola and her cousin Joelle find themselves among the remaining 30% of survivors. Scarred by millions of years of abuse v...
66.5K 3.7K 29
❝and we drink our coffee and pretend not to look at each other.❞ alternate universe college!au ...
739 50 25
'There's something beyond the mirrors...' She should probably be choosing her majors for college, considering a career, and the direction for the res...