Odds & Us ✔️

By VRUKSHA

Book 2 of Raichand - Mehra - Malhotra Series A tale after the happily ever after... Some fairy tales have an... More

Pre-Prologue
Welcome Note
Prologue
MEET the US
Chapter 1: He's Back!
Chapter 2: Pain Ensues
Chapter 3: Home Coming
Chapter 4: Perfect Stranger
Chapter 5: Hustle
Chapter 6: Fisticuffs
Chapter 7: Fishy
Chapter 8: A Thursday
Chapter 9: Jugglers
Chapter 10: Envelope's Mess
Chapter 11: Aurum
Chapter 12: Life goes on...
Chapter 13: Baby Steps
Chapter 14: Passion
Chapter 15: Pandora's Box
Chapter 16: Dreams
Chapter 17: The Plan
Chapter 18: Wired To Be
Chapter 19: Explosions
Chapter 20: Blessed
Chapter 21: A Luncheon
Chapter 22: A Grand Opening
Chapter 23: You Did What?
Chapter 24: Consequences
Chapter 25: Afterparty Inferno
Chapter 26: Rifts & Strains
Chapter 27: Frozen
Chapter 28: All About Perspective
Chapter 29: Charades
Chapter 30: Raging Storm
Chapter 31: A Catastrophe
Chapter 32: Conundrum
Chapter 33: One Chance
Chapter 34: What a Mess!
Chapter 35: Quagmire
Chapter 36: Apprehensions
Chapter 37: Start or the End?
Chapter 38: Comforting
Chapter 39: A Valley!
Chapter 40: Stranger Plays Cupid
Chapter 41: Hell Broke Loose
Chapter 42: FOLA
Chapter 43: Wormhole
Chapter 44: Yours, Forever
Chapter 46: What is Love?
Chapter 47: Chasing Time
Chapter 48: Hope
Chapter 49: Wildest Dreams
Chapter 50: Odds & Us
Announcement - New Story

Chapter 45: Sanguine

416 34 61
By VRUKSHA

#512

I'm not an eavesdropper but one can't really not help lending one's ear to what might seem like a potentially interesting conversation. So, it was a Sunday afternoon and everyone was napping except me. When I was walking across our mini library I heard something.

" It came quite naturally and I didn't think none of us didn't see that coming." It was Mumma.

" Well, yea. I might agree. But I had never imagined them falling in love." That was Uncle Jaai. Mumma and he are the best of friends and it didn't take a genius to know that they were talking about Aman and Rose. Aman who was currently we've no clue where and Rose who was brutally heartbroken.  

" Oh, did you not?" She asked. 

" Hmm... I don't think I did. We were always friends and such good ones. Best indeed. I saw that for them. " 

" Right! I understand. Even I wouldn't want Aavya to ever go through what Rose is going through and I do love her so much. I'm really sorry that Aman did what he did." Mumma replied remorsefully.

" Maybe we were lucky enough to not love each other like that. As we were there to support one another when we were going through a difficult phase. It's sad to see that love can affect and possibly ruin such a beautiful friendship. They were best friends first and then lovers. It's heart-wrenching to lose a lover but so much crueler to lose a best friend." There was so much pain in those sentences that even I had my heart break at that thought. 

I peeked in and saw Mumma give a hug to Uncle Jaai. It only eased some tension as when words don't work actions do. 

" I can't imagine not having you in my life, Jaai... And..." She couldn't speak as if Aman's absence was her fault, her blame to take. Technically, he was her son. But, still, it wasn't anyone's fault but his. 

"  Me too, Hana, me too..." 

Then I left. It was a private moment between two friends and I'd be truly invading their privacy too much. I've realized that some things one can't share with one's family but only with their best mates. They both were reeling in pain so it was good for them to speak their heart out.

From them, I've learned that to be sanguine in the worst possible scenarios and not lose hope can be daunting but with a best friend by your side, it does get endurable. 

~ Aavya, on the night she saw her Mumma and his best friend, Jaai have a heart-to-heart talk.

❋❋❋

A little pause doesn't hurt. Instead, it's vital for rejuvenating oneself. It's important as it ensures you get back strong. For, Aman and Rose their relationship felt as if it had taken a long not much-needed pause, only to get back stronger. They did hit a snag but tonight was perfect. It was more than perfect. It was a reunion, a reunion of souls, minds, and hearts into one.  

Perfect is such an illusion, an illusion we make for ourselves so that we can dream of a better world, a world that doesn't disappoint us. Yet, we live our entire lives dreaming a dream that so much as never could be real. But, we never stop. We never stop dreaming, believing, and imagining and that makes us so human. Our limitless optimism. Our state of being sanguine

Rose had never stopped believing in her love. She thought she had given up but deep in her heart, she knew she never could. Aman had never given up too. He wanted the best of both worlds and once he thought he could achieve the said feat he was running behind it. He never gave up on his ambitions, his dreams meant so much to him but the people who thought he had left his love behind were so wrong. He had always been hers, only hers. He was just never good enough to prove that. He never stopped loving her, his heart was in the right place and his soul so pristine and hence despite all that life had thrown at him she was back, with him in his arms and paradise never existed like this before. 

It was a starry night in the beautifully confident and wild mountains. They knew a long walk would never be enough for the 'talk'. Yet, they were courageous enough to embark on one. Shyam had been kind enough to lend them his private cabin up the mountains into the woods. With a basket full of supplies, they were on their way but neither was hungry nor thirsty, all they needed to quench their souls was each other, and tonight that was more than enough. Isn't it miraculous how we lose the sense of everything when we're in the company of that one person who completes us whole? 

" So?" Rose started as they set off, " Why would you go through all that trouble, Aman?" It was the same question repeated so many times in her head and then again aloud. He looked at her wistfully, letting her know that she knew the answer. But, she needed to hear it from him. They were holding their hands and he squeezed them tight. 

" Oh! Rosie, you know it too well, don't you?"

" No, I don't. I don't understand why would you leave me like that. I would have understood if at all you just had the courage to tell me your wishes. Then you lied. And you got sick." She sighed trying to control her tears. 

" I could have told you. God knows how much I wanted to. I wasn't sure whether I faced you back then I could ever leave. I knew I'd chicken out. After a year I almost called you. Oh, I missed you. I knew it in my heart that the moment I'd hear your voice I'd break..." He looked at her and she could see the timid teenager in him. It must've been a tough call to make and she wasn't sure she'd ever forgive herself if Aman had stayed back because of her. If he had not pursued his passion for her. Guess it was easier to blame him than herself.  She held his hand tight. He continued. 

" But, it was all too risky. I wanted to be something, to prove my worth, to Papa and everyone and then I wanted to win your heart back. I knew I had made mistakes. I had broken your heart. I had so many things planned, Rosie. Yes, I did..." He confessed looking into her eyes and she believed him. 

" But, I got infected so badly. I thought I was recovering which I did but then it got worst... I was so scared..." He paused making both of them stop on the rough manmade tracks. She knew she could never understand his pain. It was too vast to comprehend, empathize with, or sympathize with. It didn't make her pain less. 

" I was really scared that I might...," tears rolled as he gathered himself to speak again and Rose's heart was palpitating at a new velocity, "...that I might not even be able to see any of you again..."

" Hey! Shushh... Please, you're scaring me, Aman. Please, don't say that, ever..." She could no longer look at him so she leaped to hug him tight. Kissing his neck while rubbing his back. 

" I had to come back. I had to see you all. I needed to know that you were well. I had this dream of opening my restaurants here. I did that for our family. And I wanted to see you, Rosie. I wasn't sure anymore that what we dreamt or wanted could ever..." 

" Shush... We have everything here, right now. With you and me, we're complete. That's all I need." She quickly added still not letting him go. 

" I'm sorry I hurt you so bad. I had to do anything in power to make you stop loving me, you understand that, don't you?"

" No, I don't. It was such an unnecessary time waste of an activity, Aman, you fool..." She let him go before hitting him lightly. He chuckled melancholically. 

" Yea, I was so wrong, so stupid, a fool..." She smiled as he conceded. 

" Well, a man gotta try though. I was this close to falling for Laksh you know..." As she mentioned his apparent nemesis' name Aman flushed. 

" That wasn't gonna happen, ever..."

" Really? I supposed that was exactly what you wanted, didn't you?" 

He pondered for a while before answering.

" Yeah, I truly believed that was for the best. But, it was a much greater pain. A far more worst pain than I ever went through. I believed I could survive and that I was ready but I was so wrong. I was so wrong, Rosie..." He held her again as if his touch would convey how much he meant it, " I couldn't see you with anyone who was not me. I behaved like an ass. Messed with you. And, it must've been just the second time I had ever been so jealous, and how much it would've hurt you to see me with Thea..." As he completed a wry smile appeared on Rose's face.

" What gave it away that I was jealous? I most definitely wasn't." She said moving forward. They were just a couple of minutes away from their destination. He ran to catch up. 

" Liar... C'mon, really?" Aman was surprised. Perhaps jealousy was a strong emotion. 

She didn't answer. 

" Please, Rosie. Tell me. If you weren't one bit jealous then my plan would've eventually worked and now I don't know if your answer would kill me. " He was damn serious. He had never been direct with his feelings and when someone you love so much tells you that they weren't jealous will that not break your heart? Or is being jealous a trait of a relationship not working well, but they weren't in one, right? It's so simple yet so complicated, if you love someone and trust them there is no need to be envious but then why does it feel so good to know that you've made them jealous. Why does it have to prove that they love you so much?

Gosh! It's so fucked up, right? 

" Aman! AMAN!" She pulled his train of thoughts to a stop. They had reached the cabin and when Aman noticed that he was so mesmerized. It was indeed a picture-perfect place, just enough green, enough brown and beige, enough warm and so cozy. It was flawlessly surrounded by well-groomed and maintained white fences. The tall perennial trees gave it a soothing aesthetic rustic look. The wooden cabin could be anyone's dream date destination and Aman was euphoric just by the look of it. It was magical. 

" Wow!" It was a whisper. He had not expected this and neither had Rose. She was equally impressed. But, before she could step her foot on the wooden verandah Aman held her by her elbow and pulled her making her gasp. 

" You didn't answer me." She rolled her eyes, she knew he wasn't letting that go. 

" It's a shame you believed your 'plan' would ever work. If you know me like you boast you do then you'd know that it would've never ever worked..." She paused.

"...as you've eyes only for me?" That reference made her chuckle and he smiled with contentment. It was a good feeling. 

" I hate for it to be true."

" I'll take that as a yes." He closed the remaining percent gap between them. 

" But, I wasn't jealous," Rose added. 

" Not even a bit?" He made this contorted face to convey his displeasure. 

" Maybe a little bit but I knew..." She looked into his eyes and they shared their moment. 

" What?"

" I knew that you could never stop loving me." There she said it. She had her insecurities and some reservations but her heart knew it sufficiently well. When he heard this he had never been so relieved. 

" Aren't we a couple of optimists? Two sanguine people in love." Saying so he swooped in to kiss her passionately and carried her in his arms into the cabin. It was gonna be their night for it was their time to love. 

Their precious time against the odds. 

✿✿✿

While the mountains brought the couple solace all wasn't well at the Raichands. It was only a matter of time until everyone knew. It was like a maelstrom. Miher had to traverse the toughest journey of his life when he decided to go with Aavya. It must've been around 8 pm by the time Ansh, Ahana, and Ayan were home. All the three had received a text from Aavya stating for them to meet at their house asap. Until then Miher and Aavya had been holed up in her room trying to figure out what would their next step be. 

" We should call Aman," Miher said breaking up the silence. Aavya's day was overwhelming could be an understatement. She had so much to talk about with Miher and then there was her brother. She was already exhausted and now this.  

" Aavya..." He called her again and she looked up at him. She had refused to eat as well as if she could eat. Her appetite was lost. 

" No... They're together. Aman and Rose. We can't ruin it. Let them be, at least for the night. Until everyone knows. Mumma and Papa will know what to do." When she said that Miher didn't see an irresponsible, always undermined kid but someone who truly cared about others' feelings and was competent enough to make a difficult decision. He didn't see an impulsive, wild girl anymore. Actually, he never did. 

" How do you know they've made up? He told you that?" He had to ask, he had to know. He had to know his odds too. 

" Ha," she scoffed," That's the issue, don't you see. Aman no more tells us anything. He called up Uncle Jaai to inform him that he found her, that's it. But, I know him and her enough to know that Rose knows about his predicament and he knows she knows. So... Yea, that's the last thing that can happen to two people who love each other so much that when they know this might be the last chance to make things right. It's now or never. They make up for good. They make up because they've always loved each other..." As she said that tears had to flow down her face. Her heart was so full. Miher couldn't help himself as well. So much was happening. It was emotionally draining. 

" AAVYA!" It was Ayan. 

They were here. It was time. 

Miher and Aavya looked at each other and both of them quickly wiped their tears. 

" AAVYA!" It was Ayan again just louder. 

" Coming, for god's sake. " She shouted. 

Aavya got up from the side of her bed and walked towards Miher and took his hand in her. 

" C'mon, help me. Okay..." She whispered. 

" Always..." He mouthed as she pulled him with her out of her room but before stepping all the way out she stopped.

" Wait," she turned and they were just inches away, " Why?" She asked, her eyes trying hard not to swell up. He didn't look confused. He knew she wanted the answers to all the whys. He chose silence. They didn't have enough time for all the whys. 

" Miher, why? Why did you stay?" He stretched his arms and used his delicate fingers to wipe her face as she closed her eyes to let his touch soothe her misery. 

" I love you." A few more tears trickled down as she opened her eyes. It wasn't a good answer but that was all he had. He had to let her know even if it wasn't the very time yet every time he confessed it felt like the first time.

" This is the shittiest time for a confession like this you know." She laughed with a sniff. 

" I know, I know. But, you needed to know. "

" And what makes you think we'll make up?" It was a serious question and the kind which can make one shiver. 

" Optimism! All a guy like me needs to be sanguine enough to never give up. " 

" AAVYA, where the hell..." Ayan wasn't so big one for secrets.

" Let's go before my brother brings the house down." 

✿✿✿

The cabin was way more prettier inside than on the outside. But, neither of the two noticed because they were too busy looking into each other's eyes and it was fair enough. Only when they were out of breath did they think they were thirsty enough from the hike. 

"  Wow, your friend has done well," Aman mentioned as he poured them some wine. 

" Yea, I had zero ideas," Rose replied as they sat beside each other on the queen-size white linen with red laces bed. It was a decent-spaced one-room cottage with minimal decor, well Christmas decor for reasons they weren't aware of. There was a tiny compartment for the kitchen on the far left side of the room which supposedly led to an outdoor washroom. They didn't explore much of the space as they weren't interested in doing a location review. The furniture was minimalist and smelled bucolic. Like willow bark. It was alleviating. 

In no time the wine was empty and the dimly lit cabin was only lit by the light coming from the lamp posts outside through a small rectangular window. It was nippy and they snuggled together under one duvet as Rose rested her head on Aman's chest and he held her hands in his. For a long time, they didn't speak, they just needed to soak into this moment together, listening to their ragged breaths and their hearts beating together.  

" Tell me about Paris." She said looking at him after a while. She wished to know about life when he was not with her. She wanted to know every little thing. 

He smiled when she asked. He knew it was coming. He shuffled and then he held her closer. They were so close their noses were almost touching. 

" Oh, Rosie... I don't know where to start. Paris is such an emotion. It was everything. And I missed you every single day..." 

" Wow. How convenient, Aman. That's all." She looked away and he pulled her again. And in the scattered light, she saw he was in tears. She held her palm against his face. 

" I did and it wasn't convenient. It was the hardest thing and there were days I felt like I had lost it. I couldn't do it but then I remembered why I was doing it all. " He replied. There was so much to fill in but he started with the important bits and she listened in rapture. He was so good at telling stories. 

" I've missed so many things. I want you to tell me, Rosie. Every single thing that I wasn't there to witness. You can hit me even for every day I caused you anguish, for every moment I made you cry, for..." Aman added at the end of his narration. He was done but it was enough for one night.  

" Shush, now, " She put her finger on his lips, " if I did that I think this night would be wasted, right? I wouldn't want to squander this night doing something that I've got an entire lifetime to do for. You'll be punished don't worry." She could feel his smile beneath her finger and then she went on to kiss him. 

" Right now, all I need you to do is love me, can you do that?" She asked getting over him and her hands working up his sweater. 

" You sure you might not kill me?" He laughed. 

" I might for sure if you don't." She replied before he grabbed her and swapped their positions. 

" Stop. " It was a whisper but felt more like a command. Her eyes were glistening wistfully as if it were all a dream. She moved her fingers through his silky brownish-black hair along the contours of his eyes, nose, and finally his lips.

" Promise me, this is real. All of this. You'll still be here when I wake up in the morning, by my side." She spoke softly. He removed her specs and placed them on the bedside table. Then he leaned to kiss her eyes one by one, then her nose, and before taking her lips he hovered over them for a few seconds. Their breaths mingled into one. Warm and fuzzy and misty. 

" It's real. All of it, I promise. And when my sorry face will be the first thing that'll greet you tomorrow..." 

"... and the day after and after and forever..." She added but Aman wasn't brave enough to make a promise that he wasn't sure he could keep. But, she didn't wait for his reply. Maybe the wine was doing its work as he noticed her cheeks were blushing red and she looked like a bun without her ferocious specs. They made her look tough and imperceivable. But without them, she was so innocent yet so fierce. He could feel her brazen soul. She yanked him to kiss him again while working on the buttons of his shirt after she had successfully disrobed him off his sweater.

He kissed her with equal fervor moving to her neck and leaving wet kisses while savoring her cheeks.

" I love you." He said it again and he was ready to say it a million more times if he could.

She smiled as they struggled with the last bit of their coverings.

" I know." She murmured in his right ear at the same time kissing him at the sweet spot. As the reign shifted several times during the course of the night it was all passion, fire, sweetness and so much love.

✿✿✿

While someone was living in a newly rejuvenated bubble of love the Raichands were in a shitstorm of hell. Two sides of the same coin. One in bliss while the other in terrible torment. 
As Aavya tried to explain what she knew with Miher by her side, Ahana, Ansh, and Ayan were having the most difficult time of their lives trying to comprehend the whole thing. No one could disagree it wasn't a lot but what hurt the most was how the situation came to light.

" Oh! Damn..." All the five pairs of eyes turned to the voice when they heard someone enter the living room.

It was Kyra. She had already started sobbing uncontrollably. Ayan quickly escorted her in.

" It's m-my fault. Oh, I should've seen it..." She sniffed.

" What? Did you know? When?" Aavya was the only person who was in her sane mind to ask questions at that point in time. She had her time and she reeled in the shock.

" I-I saw Aman. That night of the opening of his restaurant. God! He said it was nothing. He convinced me so well. He was bleeding, I-I don't know how... I wasn't sure I saw blood on his kerchief..." She held her face in her palm and shook it.

" Kyra... Kyra... It's okay. You couldn't have known. Ha, none of us did. That fox did this to us. He did this. " Aavya spoke and then glanced at Miher.

" I think we shouldn't waste any more time. We need to talk to Dr. Jeffs. That's his consulting doctor and then we need to contact him and bring him here for the procedure. Because the reports if the reports are to be believed, it's not wise to delay any further. " Miher said looking at Ansh who never looked so distraught.

He sat next to Ahana and took her hand in his. She was speechless and when she looked at her husband, her eyes conveying a massive amount of pain, his strong heart shattered. He loved his son but she was his mother and her eyes were divulging so many things at the same time.

" Uh, Guys. Will you give us some time, please?" Ansh asked looking at them and in a jiffy, all of them stood up to find refuge in one of the other rooms. Clearly, Ahana was in no position to move.

" Of course, but I'll say that we all need to be sanguine. Optimism is the word. " Miher added gently before holding Aavya's hand and following her wherever she was directing the four of them.

_______________________________________________

Hey Guys!

5 more chapters to go. 🥺
Overwhelming feeling! Thank you for reading, supporting, and being patient.

I'm planning to drop the remaining chapters in tandem provided you guys show your support as I'm done writing the drafts. 🤗

Let me know your views!

Next, Chapter 46: What is Love?

Vote, Comment, and Share.

Luv... ♥
Vruksha.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 75.3K 42
Entering to the room he pinned me to the door and I was horrified my his sudden drag. "Hmm .... To kya kehe rahin thi app niche" He asked pinning my...
110K 11K 25
°• Book 1 in the unexpected marriage series •° *:゚✧・゚: *✧・゚:* "They tried to hide their feelings with silence but they forgot that their eyes spoke t...
1.2M 56.9K 68
#1 in Forever together. #1 in First Attempt. #1 in Arranged Love. Karuna Singhania: She belongs to a typical Indian family where a girl has many rest...
502K 21.5K 30
Meet two people with different prospectives but same profession who are bound together by a sacred bond. Anshika Mishra- She is beautiful,bubbly and...