Vessels

By halobrown_sa

Centuries ago, a woman named Pandora opened a box filled with evils, threatening the peace known to man. Afte... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1: Pandora's Touch
Chapter 3: A clutch and a box
Chapter 4: The gates
Chapter 5: Beyond
Chapter 6: A mother's womb
Chapter 7: lonely
Chapter 8: Memories
Chapter 9: Scott
Chapter 10: I cannot say
Chapter 11: Souls
Chapter 12: The pain you cause
Chapter 13: Fate's Cave
Chapter 14: on the edge
Chapter 15: private audience
Chapter 16: Games
Chapter 17: feelings
Chapter 18: chasing dreams
Chapter 19: A crack in the vase
Chapter 20: Cardinal points
Chapter 21: being
Chapter 22: two sides
Chapter 23: House of Ofor
Chapter 24: test
Chapter 25: ring of light
Chapter 26: fading
Epilogue

Chapter 2: Stay

51 9 43
By halobrown_sa

I feel a slight burn on my arm. Pulling down my pink sleeves, I begin to inspect the number fifty-two on my shoulder and wince when a sharp pain passes through it.

Ignoring the discomfort, I look around the room while Ms Chan continues to type something on her computer.

The walls of the office are grey, and the cotton chairs are a light shade of blue. There is a glass table to the left of me, supporting white flower-pots with peace lilies in them, and paintings of landscapes hang on each wall.

It's a stylish office, and I'd expect nothing less from Ms Chan. She once joked that instead of an evil, a blessing of style must be inside her.

"Are you sure you'd like to leave, Amora? No one will stop you if it's what you truly want," Ms Chan says, resting her arms on the wooden desk decorated with a laptop, a coaster, and a multicoloured vase.

"Yes, I'm sure."

"You'll be putting so many people in danger."

"That's not what I'm trying to do, Ms Chan."

"Intention hardly matters." She shakes her head. "I'm sorry. That must have sounded harsh. It's just my job to make sure every Vessel wanting to leave knows exactly what they're doing."

I nod my head, afraid to say anything more as I notice Ms Chan's worried expression. Her reaction doesn't surprise me, though. As the head of Pandora's House, she surely believes that it is best every Vessel stays here.

It's not that I think Pandora's House is a silly idea. In fact, it's probably the best idea people have ever had regarding Vessels. However, I've finished all I needed to do here, and I know my leaving can do so much good for everyone. There are times a person has to trust their gut, and for me, that time is now.

I would have preferred to pack my bags and leave, but it's a rule to let the head of the house know before you go. Ms Chan needs to let the main cities know of what's heading their way.

Also, I need to get funding for my departure. Everything my grandpa left me before he passed away is held by the head of this house. That, and government grants, have been paying for my stay here.

"Okay." Ms Chan sighs. "I'll be here at ten a.m tomorrow. We'll sort out all financial issues and transportation to the main gates then."

Ms Chan stands up and outstretches her hand across the desk. I do the same, taking her hand in mine and firmly shaking it.

"Thank you, Ms Chan."

She rounds the table, allowing me to gawk at her gorgeous outfit; a brown pencil skirt with a matching, tight-fitted top. She gracefully glides across the room in stilettos I would surely fall in.

"Ms Baros?" Ms Chan stands by the now opened door, and her voice snaps me out of her trance.

"Sorry." I chuckle and feel slightly embarrassed for staring at her.

As I reach the door, ready to leave, Ms Chan gently places her hand on my shoulder. "Tell me, Amora...Why are you leaving when there's nothing out there for you?"

I know if I tell her, she'll think I'm crazy. Even when I tell people stories, stories that the very existence of Vessels support, they think I'm crazy. It also doesn't help that she's an important figure. Grandpa always said I should be careful when trusting anyone in power.

Ms Chan sighs when I don't respond; she clearly knows I have no intention to.

"I'll be here at ten, Ms Chan." I smile as I turn away.

Without looking behind me, I hear Ms Chan close her office door. I, eyes kept on the floor, make my way past the other offices in this hall. They're occupied by people that will surely look down on me for wanting to go back to the main cities.

I can't say that I don't understand their worry; it's never a pretty sight when Vessels are triggered around people in those cities. However, I've spent so many years studying the past. I've memorised stories and riddles, and I know where to look to save us all. There's no way I can give that up.

"Ow!" I collide with an unknown figure, causing both of us to fall to the ground.

"Just like your granddad."

I lift my head to see the friendly face of Daphne; the old lady who often visited my house when I still lived there with my granddad. It seemed like they had something going on, but neither of them ever told me anything when I asked about it.

Daphne isn't a Vessel, but her grandson is. He's why she moved to the City of Vessels and regularly volunteers at Pandora's House.

"Daphne!" I hurry to my feet and let her use my arm as support while she tries to stand up. I then pull her into a hug, letting go after a few seconds of burying her head in my chest. "I'm so sorry, Daph."

"And where were you rushing out from?" She laughs.

"Ms Chan's office. I told her the news about me leaving." I shrug, but my shoulders drop when Daphne's eyes widen.

"Amora," she lowers her voice, "I told you we need to speak before you let them know that."

"I couldn't find you this morning..." I look around when I notice Daphne doing the same. "What's wrong?"

Suddenly, Daphne pulls my arm and hurries down the hallway. We pass a security guard who raises his hand to greet us, and I watch as Daphne gives him a tight smile. Rounding a corner, Daphne bumps into a wall, but this does not slow down her strides towards wherever she is pulling me to.

"Daph—"

"Hush."

Daphne comes to a stop in front of a closet and looks around us for something I am not aware of. Before I am able to mimic her actions, she opens the closet door and shoves me inside.

The door slams shut and the lights switch on. For a moment, Daphne watches me in silence, disappointment shown across her face.

"You should've told me first, Amora."

"I'm sorry," I say, not even knowing what exactly I am apologising for. "Daph, what is it?"

She sighs and shakes her head. "You can't just leave, Amora."

My body stiffens, and my blood begins to boil. Out of everyone here, she should understand why I need to leave. My grandfather left me with knowledge I can use to free us all, and she knows it. Well, she doesn't know everything, but I'm sure she knows enough to support me.

"What I mean is," she continues, "they won't just let you leave."

My eyebrows furrow. "Ms Chan—"

"Oh, forget Ms Chan." Daphne kisses her teeth. "She's in on it, too."

"In on what?" I notice Daphne's hesitation. "What is it, Daph?"

"They'll kill you. They figure that you'll probably get triggered out there, so it's better if they make it happen here; away from the main cities. It happens to every Vessel that wants to leave."

I almost laugh at Daphne's rushed words. For a second, I even believe I must have heard her wrong. However, Daphne's face is as serious as ever, and my breathing becomes heavier with every second that passes.

"You're joking."

"Amora." Daphne reaches out to me as I take a step back, using my hands to fan myself.

"No...what about Lea? My friend? She left last month. She—she's fine, right?"

Tears fill my eyes when her expression doesn't change. When I look down at my hands, I notice they are slightly shaking.

"No, no, no. Daph, you must be joking."

"Amora..." She starts to back away from me, and confusion fills me when I see the frightened look in her eyes.

However, I remember that I am a Vessel, and showing too much emotion is sure to scare anyone. It even scares me.

I close my eyes and take some seconds to recollect myself, thinking about the time Granddad took me to the theme park and I got chocolate ice-cream. Thinking about happy memories often does the trick; taking me back to a not-so-scary state.

Feeling a bit more relaxed, I open my eyes and look at Daphne. "Sorry."

Daphne nods her head and slowly moves closer to me.

"I won't let them hurt you, Amora." She looks at the ceiling and scratches her grey hair. "What time did Ms Chan ask to meet you?"

"Uhhh I don't know... I-I think it was ten. Ten a.m."

"Okay...meet me at four. Come to the basement alone. You hear that?" Daphne raises her eyebrows. "Alone."

I nod my head slowly and don't bother to tell her that I haven't told anyone about my journey. If anyone would even believe my story, I'm sure no one is brave enough to come with me.

"It'll be okay, Amora. You were going to leave, anyway. What's a little pressure?" Daphne smiles and gently squeezes my shoulders. "Wait here for some time before you leave."

Daphne doesn't wait for my reply before slightly opening the door and sticking her head out of it. Seeming satisfied, she exits the closet and shuts the door.

"It's okay, Amora," I say to myself, "You're going to be...just...fine."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 442 17
A young woman loses her parents in a fatal tragedy and due to grief, she fails to move on, terribly. Over time, her life becomes increasingly pointle...
6.9K 266 13
α΄Ία΅’α΅— ᡃˑˑ α΅—Κ³α΅‰α΅ƒΛ’α΅˜Κ³α΅‰ ⁱ˒ ˒ⁱˑᡛᡉʳ α΅ƒβΏα΅ˆ α΅α΅’Λ‘α΅ˆ It all started with a punishment- her romance with Jack. Artemis never thought she would fall in love with a pira...
548K 22.5K 53
Pandora is given a box. Quite simply, she must never open it. And Pandora is normally very good at following rules. Until she isn't. Out comes her...
2.3K 81 20
Arianna has had the same routine sense the death of her mother. Wake up and have coffee with her dad, go to Starbucks with her best friend Kit, go to...