An Inconvenient Attraction

By GirlOfAPearl

Lady Elizabeth 'Eliza' Greystone is summoned from her finishing school to enter society. She catches the eye... More

Chapter 1- The Return
Chapter 2- The Prince's Ball
Chapter 3- A New Friend
Chapter 4- Horses
Chapter 5- The Envy of Them All
Chapter 6- A Ladder Climbing Archer
Chapter 7- Playing Nurse
Chapter 8- Happy Birthday Eliza
Chapter 9- Fire
Chapter 10- A Queen's View
Chapter 11- A Little Kindness
Chapter 12- The Spinster Sister
Chapter 13- A Walk on the Tame Side
Chapter 14- Friends?
Chapter 15- A Wanted Woman
Chapter 16- A Bold Announcement
Chapter 17- The Waiting Game
Chapter 18- A Final Decision
Chapter 20

Chapter 19- Making It Official

506 20 3
By GirlOfAPearl

Eliza liked to think that her engagement would be a big deal. Every woman wanted it to be. A big engagement would mean that they'd made that climb up the social ladder that was expected of them.

Her engagement hadn't allowed for a party. It had had allowed for a ball.

She was going to be Princess Elizabeth.

Princess.

It didn't seem real yet it was. She was engaged to a good, kind man who she loved with all of her heart. All of those dreams she'd nurtured about romance and a love match had not just been a fantasy consigned to her favourite novels. Eliza would have what she always wanted. They'd marry and hopefully have children. She wanted at least three children, enough for them to have playmates and the fun she had.

Her children wouldn't get to go to finishing school.

Eliza smiled at her reflection. She wore her favourite blue with a diamond headband placed in her blonde curls. Her mother and sisters had been helping her get ready in a palace suite but she'd asked for a moment alone.

The dress was a slim fitting one with sequins that puffed out from the waist. It was simple without being too boring. The sequins glimmered in the light and sparkles against the eye. Her sleeves were capped against her shoulders and finished with lace.

The perfect gown. 

Lady Marianne had given her the family jewels to wear, talking about how it was the perfect thing for her. She was the first Greystone daughter to be married. Such an occasion was momentous. One would expect Hannah to be the first as the only child but it could be forgiven in this circumstance.

Hannah had sworn off marriage anyway.

Eliza gazed at the engagement ring with a smile. Alex said they'd get a blue diamond or sapphire for her wedding band. He promised the finest jeweller in the land for her but she told him he didn't need that. Still, princesses apparently got that gift.

Heck, she'd be Queen one day. Eliza hoped that it would be a very, very long time before that.

Someone knocked at the door.

"Enter."

"Well doesn't someone look beautiful?"

Eliza turned in her chair to see Alex beaming at her.

"I see you have given up on frightening me."

"A habit that I will surely find rather difficult to stop but will strive to nonetheless. I just wanted to tell you that the families have been informed."

That was something Eliza hadn't been looking forward to.

"How did they take it?"

"The Norcotts took it extremely well though I suspect they knew they were never in the running. I didn't want to marry Lavinia but she's a good type and her family are too."

"The Kellers? The Brownings?"

Alex sighed, "Well, not too great if I'm honest. I thought Alice's mother was going to have a sobbing fit. The Earl looked as though someone had killed his entire family before his eyes. Cecilia's family were absolutely furious. I think Alice will be fine because she's your friend but I do not think Cecilia will ever forgive you. It doesn't matter anyway; you'll be head of the social scene."

"I do hope I haven't caused any trouble."

"Eliza, we've been through this. You're not going to cause a scandal by marrying me. My father said that it was fine. You're a noblewoman not a farmer's daughter. Besides, everyone really likes you. You saw how everyone was when you were injured; I've never seen so many people visiting a house. We're getting married and nothing will stop us."

Eliza smiled.

"Here I am, marrying the man who scared me half to death in the market place."

"Well here I am, marrying the woman who climbed a ladder to fetch a child's toy. We'll be telling our grandchildren this story. Perhaps we can get someone to write it as a book. Anyway, I must dash my darling. I will see you in a little while."

Alex kissed Eliza's cheek and exited just as the Greystone women came back in.

After the final prep, the women slipped around a side door so that they could look as though they were entering the castle with the rest of the guests. Eliza walked arm in arm with Rose, who had been permitted to attend.

Most of the guests were smiling because it was a royal ball. Eliza knew her smile was for a different reason, it was a smile of excitement and joy. The family quickly shuffled near the stairs so that Eliza would be ready for the announcement.

She couldn't bring herself to look for Alice or one of the other girls. Eliza knew that Alice didn't really want to marry Alex but she had her family breathing down her neck.

When the band started, she stood to attention.

Eliza couldn't hide her smile as Alex walked down the stairs with his parents. Her future husband.

"Attention please," the King's booming voice rocked the ballroom, "Tonight is a very important night, for our family is expanding. I am most delighted to announce that my son Prince Alexander is betrothed to Lady Elizabeth Greystone."

A series of delighted gasps and applause as Eliza ascended the stairs, taking Alex's hand. She could see Bea jumping up and down in joy, clearly clapping the hardest. Her dear best friend was always happiest for her.

The engaged couple exchanged smiles.

"I know that this is highly unusual but it has been decided," the King continued, "That Lady Greystone will be an excellent addition to the family and will make the Prince a very happy man. Let us raise a glass to the happy couple."

Just as the King raised his glass, a commotion started.

"This is ridiculous!"

The pack of angry nobles was led by Pater Gerald Browning, father of the Countess. Paters were the heads of families chosen by the crown to rule over certain regions of the land and were therefore some of the most powerful people in the land. His family followed him; just behind was the Earl Tobias and the Keller clan.

Alice looked extremely uncomfortable.

"We thought that you would come to your senses before the announcement," Browning spat, "You cannot take this away from us! Our daughters were selected, chosen for their family name. We said between us that there would be no hard feelings so long as one of our girls was picked. That agreement cannot be broken. You cannot pick someone else."

"Remember who you are speaking to," the King snapped back, "The agreement was not legally blinding. My son has made his decision and I agree with it. I am sorry that the agreement did not work out but this is done."

Alice's mother had burst into tears. Everyone tactfully chose to ignore it.

"My daughter is a Countess!"

"I am aware of titles," the King acidly replied.

"We are the old families," the Earl Tobias jumped in, "Our birthright means we have certain advantages. The agreement was made so that these families remained in power. You do not want to anger us Your Majesty, for we are powerful."

"Are you threatening my husband?" the Queen asked, her gaze icy, "Remember that your power comes at his pleasure and that it may fall at his whim."

The Earl cowered back.

"My Lord, if I may speak."

The King nodded, motioning for Cecilia to step forward.

"I have been training for this all of my life, as have Lady Lavinia and Lady Alice. Whilst I do not wish to cause trouble, I do find it unfair that we are being punished for this decision. Perhaps our families should talk this over."

"Whilst I admire your willingness to be diplomatic, Your Grace, it will not work. My son has made his decision. He will marry the woman he loves and who risked her own life to save his."

Cecilia's pretty face turned into an ugly frown.

"Father, do something," she hissed in his ear.

"My Lord..." Browning stepped forward.

"ENOUGH!" the King bellowed, "The engagement is official. I do not want any more of your flagrant rudeness. You have ruined this day for the Lady Elizabeth! A nice ball ruined by the tantrums of people whose manners should be better. You are not children, you are the finest families in the land. This conversation is finished."

"This is your fault," the Earl spun around, glaring at a very surprised Alice, "You didn't fight hard enough for his attention. You let your little friend sink her talons into him. All I asked of you was to ensure that you married the prince or get a good fiancé as compensation. All this after I kindly took you and your mother in when your father died. You would be living off of charity if it weren't for my kindness."

Alice trembled. Her mother, who was now crying silently, ignored her brother-in-law.

"I...I...I," Alice stuttered.

"Speak up!"

"Quiet!"

The Earl's eyes popped out of his head as Eliza's voice quietened the rest.

"You do not speak to her like that."

"Lady Greystone, this is not your business."

"Quite frankly it is. Despite your best efforts, I am to marry the Prince. Alice will be awarded a position under me not because of your apparent efforts, but because she is my friend and a good person. You may be an Earl but you do treat people in that manner. She should not feel indebted to you just for doing the right thing. You will never speak to your niece like that again, is that understand?"

The Earl glared at her.

"I suggest you answer before you are punished for your rudeness," Alex put a firm arm around Eliza.

"Yes, my lady," the Earl bowed his head.

"Good," Alex faked a smile, "Now, you're not going to ruin the rest of the night for Eliza and me. If you'll excuse us, we are going to enjoy our first dance as an engaged couple."

Alex and Eliza joined hands, sailing past the shocked Brownings and Kellers. The whole room spread apart so they could take centre stage.

"My ladder-climbing archer?" Alex bowed deeply.

"My likes-to-scare-me prince," Eliza returned with a curtsy.

The music swelled and the couple began to dance.

"I am sorry that those jealous vipers ruined the engagement ball."

"It will be a fond memory that we shall laugh at in the future."

"You are of a more forgiving nature than I am."

"I suppose that is why you're marrying me."

"Beyond your laughable attempts at archery."

"We shall have the rest of our lives to remedy that."

"That we shall."

It's the last chapter next time *sad trombone music*

Next Time: There's a wedding.

Thanks again for reading and I hope you're there for the final chapter x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

251 28 45
A love story set in 18th century England, where the Montague family is extremely wealthy and influential. Lady Charlotte Montague, the youngest daugh...
4K 230 16
Nathaniel Goldstone is the only child belonging to a royal family in medieval England. The only problem is, he won't get so much as a pound of his fa...
67 0 39
After Christina decides to marry Elias, Elizabeth wants to go all out to win back her heart. With Duke Liam she has come up with a plan, but will thi...
565K 33.5K 43
A younger sister cannot wed before an older sister. It's a law of their society, a rule vehemently obeyed by prominent families in the nobility, and...