Amber Eyes

By cellyoursoull

When Harley Kingsley is accepted into Redville, one of the most well known and competitive schools in the wor... More

PRELIMINARIES
PROLOGUE
PART ONE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
PART TWO
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY ONE
TWENTY TWO
TWENTY THREE
TWENTY FIVE
TWENTY SIX
TWENTY SEVEN
TWENTY EIGHT
PART THREE
TWENTY NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY ONE
THIRTY TWO
THIRTY THREE
THIRTY FOUR
THIRTY FIVE
THIRTY SIX
THIRTY SEVEN
THIRTY EIGHT
THIRTY NINE
FORTY
FORTY ONE
FORTY TWO
FORTY THREE
FORTY FOUR
FORTY FIVE
FORTY SIX
FORTY SEVEN
FORTY EIGHT
FORTY NINE
PART FOUR
FIFTY
FIFTY ONE
FIFTY TWO
FIFTY THREE
FIFTY FOUR
FIFTY FIVE
FIFTY SIX
FIFTY SEVEN
ANNOUNCEMENT
ANNOUNCEMENT - ae rewrite!

TWENTY FOUR

2.9K 106 24
By cellyoursoull

❝Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.❞

— Oscar Wilde

Athena is an empty building that opens at six and closes at seven.

I've never really understood why a building like this stands here but Kal had told us all that it's for some certain special activities we'd have to do later in the year. I've been inside it twice during the first week when I was exploring the campus and there's nothing special in there if I don't count the couple I found making out in one of the rooms.

That being said, it's probably one of the best spots to bunk a class.

Nate is already there when I reach there. He's leaning against the wall, wearing a loose black shirt and grey sweatpants. His brown hair is a mess and his face holds a neutral expression. He's looking down with his hands in his pockets, probably waiting for me.

"You're late," he says. His voice is surprisingly cold and amused at the same time. He looks up, his dark eyes resting at my face. Though they don't exactly resemble each other, once you get to know that they're brothers, you can point out that their hair and jawlines are similar. "Harley, right? You know who I am?"

"Nathan Andrews. Student council member. Third year dance student. The best friend of Asher Hale. Am I right?" I say without thinking. He probably knows a lot about me as well, just not enough.

He smiles, letting his dimples show. "I see you've done your research," he mutters. He then notices my outfit and bag. "Were you still at practice? It's like almost ten. That's hella late."

"We got into a bit of trouble, that's it," I assure him and he smirks, finally standing straight and walking towards me. He stops just two small steps away from me and I'm genuinely not in the mood to put up with this. Meeting him right after his brother telling me things about him is difficult, even for me.

"What kind of trouble?"

I raise my eyebrows. "I don't see how any of it your business, Nate."

"Right." He laughs and turns around. "Sit," he tells me and gestures towards the bench near us. He proceeds to walk towards it and sits down, then looks at me. With a small inaudible sigh, I walk to him and sit next to him.

"What is this about?"

He clicks his tongue, facing me and leaning on his elbow that rests at the top of the seat. "So, you're an impatient one, aren't you? Got to love them, honestly."

"I'm not impatient," I snap, "I had a really long day and I'm tired. Do you mind getting to the point already?"

He nods, understanding. I have no idea whether he's being genuine or not. "Of course. Straight to the point then..." he trails off. "I heard you're taking on Asher Hale. Is that right?"

"It's public knowledge at this point," I mutter under my breath. "More or less, yes."

"And you're doing it all alone?"

"I don't need your help."

He leans in towards me, his smile making me sick. "Are you sure?"

I roll my eyes. "Yes, I'm sure. I don't need your help, if that's what you're implying. Not when you're willing to betray your best friend. Do you know how messed up that is?"

"I don't disagree. I know it's messed up but I want to climb up the ranks and come under the top five before the year ends. It's taken me two years to reach the tenth rank and if you help me, I might even make it to the third."

I can see where he's going with this. "So, you're saying that you're willing to betray your friend for the sake of your rankings? I get how dragging Asher down would benefit you but if you could do that on your own?" There's a slight pause where he doesn't say anything to me. The silence begins to bore me, so I begin to speak again. "Or are you too afraid of him? Are you that scared that you want to use someone as a puppet while you work behind the scenes? Makes sense, considering everyone has assumed and accepted the rivalry between me and Asher but you don't really need to use me. There are multiple people who can help you."

"I know, I know," he says, sighing, "but not everyone wants to go up against that guy. He's a beast. But you, Kingsley, what are you? You're not a normal student. Acing an exam with five hundred questions? That's another level of genius. I heard you left the exam room early as well for some reason. You want to take on Asher and I want to climb up the rankings. Working together will only speed up the process and we'll both get what we want. It's as simple as that."

I laugh lightly, playing with my fingers. "So you're going to use me just because I'm academically smart?"

"I never said I was going to use you. I'm asking you to work with me."

"But that's what you implied. I'll let it slip for now. Answer the next question, Nate." My voice is surprisingly calm when I speak to him.

"I'm not putting this offer forward because you're academically smart," he says quietly, "I'm doing it because you're crazy."

I'm confused by his statement and narrow my eyes. "I'm crazy? What do you mean?"

He chuckles, his expression relaxing. "In a good way, of course. I don't know you yet, nor do I know anything about you. But the way you've captured everyone's attention is just like that... That's amazing. Do you know how people are intimidated to approach you? And how many guys actually have a crush on you but are scared of rejection?"

"And how is that supposed to matter to me?"

He shakes his head. "Come on, Kingsley, run your brain a little. You're getting popular. Don't let it get to your head."

I don't reply to that. He sighs in resignation, leaning back and folding his arms.

"It's fine if you don't want to work with me. Really, just say no. But you're not allowed to tell anyone about this meeting."

Hearing that, my lips curl up in a smile. "The reason you called me here and told me all this even though it's the first time you've met me, you're very confident aren't you?"

His smile only widens. "I don't get what you're implying."

"Quit being so formal," I snap at him. "One of the reasons why you've told me you're taking on Asher is that you knew I wouldn't refuse your offer. I don't know why you thought of it like that, but I know you assumed that I'm not going to refuse."

"Am I right?"

I bite my lip. I knew this was one of the reasons why he wanted to meet me but I had plans too. Considering that he's willing to take my help to reach to the top, he'd do anything to make this deal work. I decide not to answer him right away. "Tell me one thing, Nate."

"Hm?"

"You're involved in the rumour about Cammy McNolan, aren't you?"

His face doesn't doesn't drop but something in his eyes tells me that he didn't expect this at all. I internally laugh at this but only let a small smile rest on my face. "I don't know what you're talking about."

I sigh. "Of course you won't admit it. You're involved in Cammy's rumour. I know you are, and so is Asher. I don't know why you're working behind Asher's back or anything but I know one thing for sure - you both are involved in her rumour. It wasn't random to spread a rumour about that girl. It was planned, wasn't it? A calculated move against someone. Both of you planned it. I wonder who it was for..." My sentence ends on a playful note but Nate's expression doesn't change. "I have an idea of what you and Asher are like. You'd both do anything to get what you want and that's exactly why the two of you get along. Exactly why you both call each other your best friends."

He stares at me like he's processing what I've just said. Then he laughs. It isn't a laugh and it isn't one of those scary one. It's a genuine one. I'm happy I still kept a few speculations to myself. These reveals are just enough to keep him on his toes for now.

"Am I right?"

He stops laughing. "No comment about that, Kingsley. What exactly are you trying to do by telling me speculations like these?"

"I do have an idea of what your role is around here, Nate. That's why I'm going to ask you one thing. Why did you purposely spread a rumour about a girl you have nothing to do with?"

"I don't know what you're on about and if whatever you're saying is true, what good it is to think about it now? Rumours die down eventually. A new one will emerge in no time. No need to stress yourself because of a girl as unimportant as McNolan."

My mind goes blank for a second and I almost feel robotic when I say the next words. "So you're saying that there's absolutely nothing you can do, huh?"

"Nope," he sings. "I can't. Like I said, I'm not involved in anything like this."

"Too bad," I mutter under my breath. "Guess I'll have to let it be then."

He hums in agreement. "Right. Back to the point. Are you, or are you not going to cooperate with me?"

"You're desperate."

"Am I, now?"

I don't reply to him now.

He sighs, scooting a little closer. "How about this? I do everything without getting you involved. But there's something I need you to do otherwise, you'll do it for me. You're free to do whatever you want however you want and play with whoever you want but if I need your help desperately, then you don't say no to me at all."

I raise my eyebrows. "And how often would you need my help, exactly?"

"Not often," he just says. "If I happen to do it often, you're free to walk away from the negotiation. And if you need something anytime, which I don't think you would, I'll be there to help you too. Just don't make it too frequent."

I run a hand through my hair. "Bold you to assume I would need your help but okay, fine. If I find you doing anything and I have to take the blame for it, we're done at that moment. Use someone else as your cover."

He nods. "Fine by me." He gets up and stretches himself before putting his hands back into his pockets and yawning. "So, we have an agreement now. Give me your number."

"Hold on." I want to get one good thing out of this negotiation. "There's one condition I have."

He stops and turns to face me again. "Is this not enough for you?"

"Look, Nate, I probably won't need your help, yeah? I'm confident in my capabilities. If I'm doing this, I want something out of it."

He sighs in exasperation then says, "Go on."

With a deep breath, I say, "I want you to stop bothering your brother."

Now, his expression drops. He takes a step towards me and leans down so that we're on the same eye level. "What did you just say? I think I misheard you. Care to repeat that?"

I try my best to keep my composure. "I'm asking you to stop hitting or calling out your brother. In fact, just avoid contact with him. That would make him happier."

He bites his lip and looks down. "I don't see how my relationship with my brother is your business."

I click my tongue. "Do you want the deal or not? If you break this condition, I'll not help you anymore. Sam shouldn't know about it either. You won't hurt him anymore and if you do, then you'll pay for it."

He stares at me for a while. His expression is neutral and I know he isn't going to refuse. This deal and my help means a lot to him at a moment like this.

"So?"

"You sure are interesting." He chuckles and gets up again. He turns away from me. "Fine. I won't bother my brother. You happy now?"

"Thank you," I say sarcastically. I hate the way he's acting like he's doing me a favour when he's not. There were a lot of things I could've asked for instead of this. I myself don't know why I'm caring about Sam's wellbeing right now. Wasn't I just going to use him?

Things are different now.

Somehow, I'm still on track with my plan. Second semester. December. It will be here before I know it and there are still a lot of things left to do.

It's been almost two weeks here at Redville.

Starting tomorrow, there will be changes. Fights will break out, rivalries will heat up, and friendships will be formed. Whatever's happened up till now was nothing but the base work. Now that people know each other better, there will be problems.

Either groups will be made, or they'll break. There'll be no in between.

Things were going to get serious now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Save Me By S.H.

Teen Fiction

82.5K 2.8K 32
Erika Kingsley fits the stereotype: blonde hair, blue eyes, rich dad. In definition: the spoiled blonde brat. But she isn't. The real her wants to be...
5.4K 541 36
The one who has eyes on her. The one who is hiding from him. The one who needs her. The one who lusts her. The one who cares for him. The one who pro...
3.6K 173 49
WARNING: HIGHLY MATURE LANGUAGE! READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION! Diamond King is average, maybe even less than that. Arabia, Mississippi might be the m...
12.7K 426 40
• 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤 𝐢𝐭 • -ROMANCE X THRILLER X CRIME X FANTASY- When Jayce Brooks begins a game of wit and cunningness b...