The Wanderer

By Grace_sama

After the stressful class poll exam, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka decided to rest in his dorm. But to his surprise, he... More

Chapter 1: First encounter
Chapter 2:- Drawbacks
Chapter 3:- A Gamble
Chapter 4:- Declaration of War
Chapter 5:- Moloch's impatience
Chapter 6:- Battle of 8/3

Prologue

1.1K 48 12
By Grace_sama

"Each nanosecond of history branches off into an infinite amount of parallel universes."

I laid back on the bed and closed my eyes. As I prepared to fall asleep, today's events started flashing before me.

"Bye-Bye, Kiyotaka-kun"

Ugh.......

It left a bad taste in my mouth. However what I did was necessary to be done. Me being assertive today was unusual. Though not many pointed out the fact due to the intensity of the situation.

Starting today, the way I am perceived by others is going to change. I wonder.

Without realising, I had gotten somewhat attached to this place and the people here. My actions may have made people call me heartless, but I still cared for her in my own way.

With that, I slowly started falling asleep.

Lying monsters are a real nuisance:

"What do you mean? I am just a regular high school boy."

They are much more cunning than others.

"I am just above average"

They pose as humans even though they have no understanding of the human heart

"Don't say that. I feel my heart is going to crack"

They study even though they have no interest in academics

"What else is a high school student supposed to do?"

They seek friendship even though they do not know how to love.

"I'm Ayanokouji Kiyotaka. Would you like to be my friend?"

"Huh?"

I unintentionally let out a confused noise as I looked around at my surroundings.

In front of me was a familiar surrounding. One that I hoped I wouldn't see any time soon. Yet, here I am.

How? Why? When? Several questions popped up in my brain and yet none could be answered. Calm down. All I have to do is stay calm. More like, that's all I can do right now.

Is this real? Or is this just fantasy? My gaze fluttered here and there as I tried to assess my current situation.

So from what I have observed, I am not exactly in the white room. The bed feels different. As well as the surrounding. Unless of course they changed it while I was out. There's also an empty chair.

There was no logical explanation as to how I could be here. That brings me back to the possibility of this being an illusion.

"Feel free to think as much as you can, I will wait."

In an instant, I rolled across the bed and ducked behind it. Opposite to the direction where the sound was from. I had no idea about who the voice came from, but I sensed danger.

"Fear not, I would not hurt you, do not worry. I just wanted to have a talk with you."

No matter how much I tried, I couldn't find a logical conclusion for what was unfolding before me. Thus......it was safe to conclude logic will not save me here.

I looked up and located the source of sound, however I only saw an empty chair.

"You can not perceive me? Well that is to be expected..... Anyway, you must be having a lot of questions. Do not worry, I will answer all the questions as truthfully as I can."

I didn't sense any malicious intent behind the voice. And so, I got up and started interrogating.

"Who are you? And why are you not visible to me?"

"I am something that exists only when someone is there to observe me. I know that applies to everything however there is more to it. Before I explain more about myself, I have a question too."

"Sure, go ahead"

"Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, what do you think about God?"

God huh, it has asked a very controversial question.

"I simply dont believe in its existence. That's all there is to it."

"Interesting views, child. Did you know that I am the closest being to God in your world? Now before you say something else, just understand that humans perceive me of whatever image of God they have. Since you do not believe in my existence, you can not see me either."

Judging by the flow of the conversation, it didn't come out as a surprise. However I still couldn't help but notice some signs of shock inside me.

Whatever religion a person follows, they will perceive the being in front of me as the God they believe in. This is a very vast topic but that's not the main concern here anymore.

"A visible reaction from you of all people. Anyway, my second question is, what do you think about Fate?"

I ignored the fact that a few moments ago, it was decided that I could ask anything I ever wanted.

Anything Huh. Considering his status, it wouldn't be hard for him to answer unexplainable aspects of this universe. However, I am not really interested in that.

"I don't believe in Fate. Everything that happens is a result of minor and major actions taken by said person."

Arthur Schopenhauer said, and I quote, "What people commonly call fate is mostly their own stupidity."

Would I deny the complete existence of Fate? I am not certain myself.

This question reminded me of the bizarre situation I had once found myself in along with ibuki. The fortune teller had accurately guessed our course of action. Despite being told about it, we still tested it.

She also remarked about my terrible upbringing. Could all that be possibly passed off as a coincidence? I-

"Are you sure? If I am real, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that everything that happens in your world is pre-planned by myself."

I only stayed silent.

"What if, every small action you speak of is already written in Fate and will work out no matter what? You can always speculate by saying that the event wouldn't have happened if the actions were different. But my point is, the event was fated to happen and thus the actions too happened the way they were supposed to."

What he was saying wasn't wrong. In fact, it would be arrogant of me to say that I am smarter than a god like being.

However,

"We are in a stalemate as of now. Everything I say in favour of actions can be passed of as, "It happened the way it did because it was supposed to". And whatever you say can be countered by simply the butterfly effect."

If he could indeed control fate, there was no reason for evil to ever triumph over good. Of course there are several reasons given in various holy scriptures regarding God's policy of not intervening anymore.

I wasn't that knowledgeable on the subject either.

I heard a faint laugh.

"Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, mind if I show myself in a human-like figure? I want to have you interact with me."

"Oh, yes sure." Seeing no reason to refuse, I immediately agreed. Though "human-like figure" made me skeptical.

I saw a faint light glowing and as soon as it disappeared, a man-like figure standing in front of me.

(Character:- Hitogami from Mushoku tensei. It's not Hitogami in this story, but this is the closest representation of his I could find)

"That's.....certainly a Human-like figure" was all I could say in reply.

"Anyway, as we were talking about Fate, how would you describe your current situation?" He questioned, ignoring my remarks.

"An odd situation I must say."

Never would I have imagined this kind of scenario happening.

"I'm just a white bird flying free"

He said, and turned away from me. He started walking forward.

"Someone said those words on the first day in ANHS. But my question is if you, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, are really free?"

After taking a certain distance from me, he turned towards me. For the first time since my arrival here, there was some tension in the air. We both looked at each other. Despite him not having eyes, I could sense he was looking at me with anticipation.

"I don't know. What do you think?"

"What if I told you, you are just a fragment of someone's imagination. And the someone who made you is just a mere mortal."

Human beings, animals, birds, trees, earth, everything was God's creation. Is what many people believe. But according to him, I was created by another human being.

"Are your actions and thoughts independent? Or are you doing so just because someone somewhere wants you to act or think that way?"

I just remained quite.

"You yourself are nothing but a mere tool. You are not even-"

"Then, accordingly, isn't the person who made me technically God? At the same time, how can you be so sure that your actions are independent? Could it be that you are acting this way because someone wants you to? Aren't we on the same level then?"

He finally broke eye contact with me. Again, turning around and moving forward. Slowly. Step by step.

"Haha, I am just kidding. Talking with you is amusing. Really. The way you counter everything on the spot. Amazing. You really are special."

"Now, if I may, I would like to ask the purpose of me being here." I had no intention of discussing the topic further either.

"It's complicated and long. I am hoping you would understand it in short."

He paused

"What I told you wasn't exactly wrong either. There are some human beings from your world, human beings with a vast imagination."

I stayed silent, compelling him to continue.

"Ah before I continue, you believe in parallel universes right?"

I nodded

There was no point of wondering about their existence. Judging by the flow of the conversation, He was going to confirm its existence one way or another. Neither am I against the existence of parallel universes.

"Such great imaginations may lead to the creation of parallel universes, where the events are actually real. Can you believe that? The existence of parallel universes simply due to someone's imagination?"

I could neither confirm nor deny. It was something that might never have been theorised before.

A person imagines various scenarios, now do they all come true? There's scenarios which are very short with no proper beginning or ending. They barely even last a few seconds. How could a parallel universe be formed like that?

"Let's say the person forms a proper story out of their imagination. Making sure as to explain the various reasons behind the events. The world building feels real. The story is then told to millions of people. So now, it's an imagination of countless people. Is that imagination not strong enough?"

Somehow, it felt like it was related to the Mandela effect however it wasn't. It was a theory which at least I was hearing about for the first time.

People's imagination being so strong that it creates an alternate reality? How strange.

Would that also mean I am an entity formed due to the imagination of countless people? Now that I was in an universe of my own, my actions were independent.

Was this situation also a result of imagination? Or was this actually an event that took place independently?

"I understand what you mean. There are countless universes formed out of imagination of the masses, however what's that got to do with me?"

"Universes formed by actual actions and universes formed by thoughts alone are quite different."

I had created and read several theories on the existence of parallel universes. However, if the man in front of me is who he claims to be, then I must accept whatever is said.

"Imagination is not always perfect. There are loopholes and such. These serve as a gate for evil to enter."

Evil?

"People's imagination often lead to the creation of things that serve perfect hosts for evil parasites. Who feed on the negativity of that alternative universes."

As if the conversation wasn't already strange enough, there was now the introduction of evil.

"Parasites as in not actual parasites. I am just giving an example. However, in the world formed due to imagination, you can see several people doing demonic things. Inhumane people, tons of them."

Evil people have always existed. However the balance is mostly one sided as there are more "good" people. Even the "bad people" have some redeeming qualities with them. For example, ryuuen's actions are bad. But if I had to call someone truly evil, it would be that man. The difference between their actions is vast.

"If the evil can easily influence the world, why can't you?"

"Of course I can. In fact that's the reason why most of the stories have a happy ending. I don't always intervene, but now I have found a good solution."

He turned back and looked at me for the second time today.

I don't like where this is going.......

"I want you to serve as a medium, and help mankind win. I won't intervene anymore."

"Do you think I am capable of winning against beings that are way above humans?"

"I don't know. Honestly"

"There's also the chance of me being killed, isn't there?"

"Do you doubt your abilities?"

"No, but if you were to throw me in a world of giants, my abilities wouldn't be of much help."

There was a limit to what I could do.

He let out a small chuckle. It felt genuine this time

"Don't worry, I will not send you in something so dangerous. Probably. You should focus on your first destination first."

"Who said I am going to accept?"

"Who said you have a choice?"

"....."

"Haha. I can read your mind you know? You were going to accept it anyway."

It's true. Even if I did think of declining, I would be forced to accept it. There are several other reasons too.

"What would happen to my world though?"

"Oh don't worry, you are kind of going to the past so the time here won't be affected. You also will be guaranteed a place to stay and live. However......you should try to finish your objective as fast as possible. I am sure you are not stupid enough to try to live peacefully there, defying me."

"I get it. But where exactly am I going?"

"You happen to be in the past. Your goal is to help the man who is fighting alone to save a person who used to be precious to him. The man now exists in the body of his younger self, and also possesses the ability to venture through time. This journey of yours will be filled with dangers. But fear not, hold yourself together and accomplish your goal of helping the man and avoiding as many casualties on your end as possible"

I had several questions, but decided the best course of action would be to stay quiet.

"Well then, it's almost time for you to leave. Ayanokouji Kiyotaka. Your time here was short however I enjoyed this conversation."

With that, he stretched out his hand.

Just before our hands connected, I decided to ask something else that had been on my mind.

"Saving "good" from "evil" is a pretty straightforward and morally good reason. However, why was a person like me chosen? For I am not a good person to begin with"

Without waiting for his answer, I stretched out my hand and it connected.

The lights started flickering, I felt my body becoming light.

"Take this opportunity as your chance to redeem yourself. For your abilities are too good to be wasted."

That was his reply before my vision started to blur. I felt my body fading in the neverending flow of time.

(Third person POV)

The boy soon disappeared. And so, everything calmed down and a heavy silence fell upon.

"The process is completed "

The fellow being who appeared to only possess a body with no other features uttered those words.

"Good luck, honoured one. Their fate now rests upon your shoulders."

And so began the adventures of the wanderer

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.1K 310 7
I think it's pretty self-explanatory, but regardless of that, I will say a few things. Disclaimer: This will be slightly different from what you migh...
32.2K 974 38
after the island exam in his first year of his new highschool life , our mc kiyotaka wakes up in an abandoned school He came to realize after that...
16.9K 708 13
The White Room has been revealed to the world. The facility is no more. Two years after graduating from ANHS, Ayanokoji turns to the one option of es...
832K 22.1K 77
Status. Expectations. Peacefulness. All of these three were things Ayanokouji Kiyotaka was trying to keep constant. He aimed to temper them and keep...