The Fox's Return

By bboydgryffindor

"J.A.R.V.I.S.you better turn that back on before I unplug you-" Tony Stark threatened his A.I. after shutting... More

Extended Summary
Playlist
Prologue
Post Iron Man 3
Sleeping Beauty Wakes Up
Pepper Potts
Smack A Super Soldier
Letters From the Past
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Saving Lives, Knives, and Relationship Pies
The Smithsonian
Distracting the Distraction
Sam, Son of Wil
Sitwell Becomes The Rogers Siblings' Rag Doll
They Call Him The Winter Soldier
The Not So Dead Director
S.H.I.E.L.D. Goes Down
Avengers: Age of Ultron
The Time Between
Who Is The Blonde Woman?
The New Dog Sitter
Maternal Marlene Outranks Avenger Marlene
Suit of Armor Around the World
The Dramatic Robot Calls Its Dramatic Makers Dramatic
Rogers vs Rogers
Am I Still Worthy?
Captain America: Civil War
Girl Talks
The Begining of the Divorce

Where There Is Bravery, There Is Fear

1K 43 38
By bboydgryffindor

Despite the awful circumstance, Marlene was fully prepared to gloat. Ultron had whipped everything they had on . . . well everything really. Therefore, all of their electronic files were gone. Specifically, the ones relating to Strucker. Marlene, who is "Fossil Number One", likes to read things on paper. She does this simply because it helps her interrupt things faster and better. It's called a kinesthetic learner. This means she made hard copies of almost everything they had on Strucker.

Luckily, through Marlene's "Fossil Diaries", as Tony called them, they were able to learn of a known associate of Strucker; Ulysses Klaue. He was branded a thief in Wakandan dialect . . .something Marlene prided herself on learning.

When she first came out of the ice, she was in awe of everything. She could learn the dialect of Wakanda through the internet . . . granting some flaws, of course. She was fascinated by the small country and its precious element.

In all honesty, it reminded her of Howard. He was the one that gave Steve his vibranium shield. He was the one that was originally fascinated by it. He was so interested in the element that he wanted to replicate it using an alloy . . . which was unsuccessful. Marlene was interested in the element, but she also loved to learn about different cultures. Therefore, when emerging from her ice cube, she wanted to learn about them.

And in due time, she would. In fact, Marlene would go to Wakanda . . . she'd be there a lot more than one would expect. She'd form close friendships with the princess, and then king of Wakanda.

And in a few years' time, she'd fight at Wakanda. And in a few years' time, she wouldn't see life for some time.

***

Marlene had made her way into her position. She was meant to sneak into the location Ultron was believed to be making a deal with Ulysses Klaue. Her job wasn't to surprise Ultron, but the twins.

Her plan was simple. She hoped with the newly developed powers of the Maximoff twins. She knew Wanda could control the mind and telekinesis. She hoped that if she kept her thoughts "quiet enough" Wanda wouldn't be able to detect her . . . that is if her powers worked that way. As for Pietro, she noticed that when he was running and came to a stop, he'd slow down . . . which was something normal people did. She was also going off of a hunch that he didn't have the best reaction times.

Her evidence and information were all assumptions and she hated it.

Her plan was pretty solid in the end, but the twins still got what they wanted.

As Pietro's blur rushed about, Marlene tracked his movements and his timing . . . sorta. It's hard when he moves at the speed of sound.

When he got to Marlene's mental trap location, she slid a trash can lid as fast as she could, aiming for his ankles. She felt deep satisfaction when he faceplanted into a pile of nets. It wasn't because she beat him, even if that was part of it. It was mainly because her plan worked.

"Stay down, kid," Marlene said standing over him confidently. "Didn't my brother tell you that?"

"I don't make it a habit of listening to the enemy," Pietro grumbled. "And I don't like being told what to do."

"Then don't make me the enemy," she said simply, offering her hand. "I don't wanna be your enemy. You're a good kid."

Wanda began to move quietly towards Marlene, planning to scramble her mind. It was an odd thing. Wanda used to look up to the woman before her, and, to be honest, a part of her still does. A part of her is still amazed that her hero stands before her, but then she remembers whose side she is on. Stark's.

As for Pietro, he had the biggest crush on her. He still does. It becomes something of a joke between a band of superheroes in time to come.

"A good kid doesn't try to kill your family," Pietro countered, not daring to look at his sister as he made his way closer to Marlene. He knew that the smallest indication would tip her off.

"We all wanna kill Tony sometimes," Marlene justified. "And for the record, there is such thing as manipulation using people to your advantage, especially when the people being used have talents. There is such thing as a way out."

Pietro was at a loss for words as he simply looked up at her. His mouth was opening and closing hopelessly, looking for words.

"And for the record, Wanda," Marlene smirked as Wanda stood directly behind her. "My offer extends to you."

Just as Wanda was about to use her powers to cause unwelcomed visions, Marlene spun around and caught her hand.

"No wiggly woes," Marlene smirked, shoving her backward. She didn't push too hard, not wanting to actually cause any harm to either sibling. This is exactly why when Pietro grabbed her arms to stop her from fighting, she didn't fight too much.

The last thing Marlene saw was a red mist of sorts.

***

Marlene groggily sat up while glancing around in confusion. She knew where she was. It was nearly impossible to forget. It was impossible to forget the dark wooden bed frame. It was impossible to forget the matching nightstand with two separate picture within frames. It was impossible to forget about the dent in the wall due to Marlene throwing the door open.

It was impossible to forget her small flat in Brooklyn back in the 40s.

But she didn't know how she got there.

Almost upon instinct, Marlene made sure she had her clothes on, which she did. Yet that's what confused her even more . . . it was her suit from present day. She mentally examine herself for any pain or wounds.

As she stood to make her way out of the door, she grabbed a knife she always kept between the mattress and the bed. She silently made her way out of the room and into the living room. As she got closer, a melodic, but the off-key, whistling sound grew louder.

Marlene crept along the wall, slowly getting closer to the source of the noise, the kitchen. She quickly moved out from behind the wall and prepared to throw her knife, but stopped.

"Morning, Blondie!" Howard Stark chirped, dressed in a light pink apron. "I know you always tell me to stay out of your kitchen but I made a sandwich!"

Marlene was merely too stunned to move.

"Wow! Loving the get-up," Howard joked, pushing the peanut butter and jelly sandwich towards her. "Who made it-"

Before Marlene could answer that she made it with the ignored suggestions of his son, another figure approached them.

"Thank heavens you're here, Miss Rogers!" Mr. Jarvis appeared. "Mr. Stark has been nothing but wild. I'm in desperate need of reigning him in."

"Rogers!" Thompson appeared almost out of thin air along with Sousa and the Howling Commandos. "Good job on your last mission! It was-"

"Marls!" Peggy cried happily. Marlene felt herself flinch in shock because she hasn't seen Peggy this lively since forever . . . she was practically on her death bed. "Steve is planning a vacation for us to the Caribbean!"

"Mar!" Nat appeared in a puff of smoke. "My wedding to Bruce is next week!"

Marlene's eyes widened in surprise. Don't get her wrong, she loves Nat and she loves Bruce, but together . . . they didn't exactly make sense to her. Neither did Steve and Peggy, especially after Peggy moved on.

What the hell was going on?

"Miss Rogers!" Peter Parker swung into the room on a web . . . wasn't mathematically possible speaking in the sense of geometry. "Mr. Stark is letting become and Avenger!"

Marlene spun around, looking for Tony to give him a piece of her mind, but she saw an older Howard Stark shouting at a younger Tony . . . telling him to be better . . .

"Hello, doll," James appeared, leaning against the door way. His hair was cut short again, but not quite styled like it was in the 40s. His metal arm was displayed with comfort. He was smiling and seemed happy. Admist the chaos, it was the one thing that brought him comfort.

She moved towards him, seeking that same comfort but stopped upon the change of scenery.

"What did you do to them?" an unknown voice shouted . . . more like cried and screached.

"I didn't do anything," Marlene defended. "They're fine-"

"Marls-" Steve's faint voice echoed as he stumbled forward with her knife plunged into his upper torso. He started to cough, but it was blood that came out.

"Marlene, help!"

"Rogers! Do something!"

"Blondie, help me!"

"Miss Rogers," Peter stammered, coming closer to her. "Please don't kill me."

"I wouldn't-" Marlene began, but Peter's body fell to the ground seconds later.

When she looked down, her hands were coated in blood. Her body began to shake as she looked at the bodies of everyone she ever cared about, even her mother, on the ground. Every single one of them was dead.

Except one.

"Marlene," James said coldly.

"James, what-what happened-?" she said, taking notice to the tears that rolled down her cheeks. They clung to her sharp jawline for several seconds before falling to the ground with about as much patience as the people on the ground.

"You killed them."

"No. I swear I didn't!" she shook her head violently. "I would never! I could never!"

"But you did."

"No, James, I swear I didn't!"

"Can't you see it, Marlene?" he asked savagely, stepping towards her. "Everything you love and touch dies! First, it was me! Then your own brother! Your best friends! Even that flower in your hands!"

Marlene looked down. There was in fact a flower in her hand. A wilting white rose.

"Next, you'll lead to the world's downfall!" he accused, pointing his metal finger at her. "You won't be able to stop the death of billions! You won't be able to stop it because you'll be the one to cause it!"

More tears fell from Marlene's eyes. She couldn't control them. The last time she cried this much was when she learned she was in the future and everyone she loved was dead. The last time she cried this much was when James died.

"But . . ." Marlene said weakly. "You're not dead . . ."

"Aren't I?" James questioned, causing Marlene to look up.

James didn't look like the James she saw a few seconds ago . . . this one looked like a walking corpse. And then, like the others, his body fell.

"No. No. No. No," Marlene shook her head, stepping back. "This isn't real!"

Marlene looked around her. The bodies were spread around in a messy but perfect circle.

James.

Steve.

Nat.

Tony.

Sam.

Howard.

Peggy.

Mister and Misses Jarvis.

Thor.

Bruce.

Clint.

Peter.

Thompson.

Sousa.

Dum Dum Dugan.

The Howling Commandos.

Sarah Rogers.

Even her dog . . .

They all laid there, their lives gone forever. Their blood covered Marlene like a second skin. A skin she couldn't get rid of.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.4K 1.4K 38
This story starts off during Avengers Age of Ultron and continues till the end of Civil War. Y/N Rogers is the daughter of Steve and Peggy. She was b...
35.7K 1.4K 36
Book 2 of the Fangirl Series! Natalie Carter. A girl from a different earth. The girlfriend of Steve Rogers and fellow Avenger. No powers, no tech sk...
18.8K 560 44
"If this kid lifts this hammer, I'm retiring" "Okay kid, we don't got all day you know!" "You happy now, Stark?" "Very Impressive niece, but the r...
13.9K 400 45
Anastasya is an assassin, an advanced super soldier created by HYDRA in WWII, alongside James Barnes. But her life gets a different turn than his; sh...