Unmasked

By RejectWriter

Unmasked (A Cinderella Story): Mary Anabel is treated like a slave to her mother and sisters. Then one day... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6:
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
When They Found Each Other Again
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 41- THE END

Chapter 40

641 15 0
By RejectWriter

-unedited-

Chapter 40

i couldn't get much sleep last night after the news involving me was told to me.

we're married now.

we... are married.

married.

I feel a kiss on the back of my head.

"Good morning." I feel him mutter against my hair. "I don't recall you ever being awake before me."

Oh, was I awake before him this time? Of course I am, I barely slept.

"Good morning," I repeat back to him mindlessly. I seem to still be in shock since I can only think of the news being said to me last night.

"You'll need to come with me today to sign some documents." I notice that he's avoiding my gaze but still speaks normally. Is he in just as much shock as I am?

I used it for personal gain. Is what he said so, no, he knew before I did.

"Did us getting married undo the banishment?" I finally ask him, looking at him directly.

He finally meets my eyes, "Yes."

I sit up from the bed and look down to my hands. My mind wanders but doesn't stop at anything. I don't know what to think. Marriage has never crossed my mind before but if it had, what would I have wanted it to be? Is this truly okay?

"Mary," his hands cover mind and he kneels before me.

I look back up again to meet his eyes.

"We'll have a proper wedding." Hearing him say that makes my heart skips a beat, it also brings a wave of heat up to my face.

"O-oh, I wasn't too worried about that." I look away hoping he wouldn't notice.

"It can be anything your heart desires, I'll make sure of it." He brings one of my hands to his lips.

I see the expression on his face again from last night. Now I can tell what it is.

"I really don't mind, you know," I squeeze his hand, "I know you meant well and i'm not upset about anything so please don't be upset either."

He meets my eyes again and gives me a soft smile.

"Of course, my dear." His kisses my hand again and stands up, leading me up with him. "Now, let's get ready together."

~

I'm a princess now. I belong in these clothing. I'm not out of place.

It's no use. Being in the dress he picked out for me as we prepare to go meet his parents again only has me in shambles.

Being a royal now doesn't even feel true. Maybe because it did happen so suddenly and I haven't had time to truly let it set in.

"Are you okay, Mary?" He grabs on to my hand.

"O-oh, yes." I look down. How are we even...

"Actually, may I ask a question?"

He smiles, "you don't need to ask permission anymore, you never did."

"Oh, right, uh," All the words begin to pile up in my throat, "how..."

I force a cough to rearrange myself.

"How, exactly did we get married?"

He stays silent for a moment before answering.

"I admitted to sharing a bed with you to my parents and since it ruin our family reputation, they married us."

"But those rumors I've heard before- not about you, but about others, how..." how did those come to be then?

"Rumors are different from direct admission, Mary, and I did it because I can't be without you." He gives me a glance.

"I know you did." I reassure him with a smile. "I trust you."
~

We walk down the long hallway the rest of the way towards the room where the king and queen's thrones reside in silence. I can't help but attempt to swallow down my nerves.

The last time I was in that room I was banished by the Queen. Now, I go back married to her son. She'll definitely have more reason to resent me and who knows what she'll order to happen to me.

No, she can't hurt me anymore... can she?

I shake my head at myself. Don't think those thoughts.

My hand is squeezed and I look up to realize we're right outside the doors.

"Mary," my prince touches my face with his hand and directs me to look up at him, "I only ask of you one thing."

"Yes?"

"I know it may be hard but you absolutely must do this," he takes a deep breath, "you must look my parents in the eyes."

I try to ignore the ice running down my veins. My head nods but very weakly.

He leans down slightly to kiss my forehead.

"You must look past them and not show them any fear, do you understand?" I can't bring myself to nod to that instruction.

"They're only people with a fake title, even with the power they hold, it's very little and they know about it which is why-"

"But they're your family." I finally let out.

"Only in name, Mary, they haven't been a real family to me before and they won't be ever. If it helps, remember the time you stood against me to protect that young girl and recreate that moment in your head."

"That..." I couldn't find the words to continue. I barely remember that moment nor do I even remember what came over me. What I do remember however, is that it wasn't easy in the slightest.

"I can't do that again." I tell him.

"Try to imagine saving hundreds of young girls then because once I'm in power, I'll save them from ever having to steal food again," He touches my head, "I had made a promise to that other rude prince, remember? I can only fulfill it with you by my side."

I swallow again.

"Okay."

He leans down again and kisses me. His kiss seems to give me courage.

"If you find it too difficult, look anywhere but down."

The doors open and I force my eyes to look forward. I see how large and beautifully decorated each throne is, I see how nicely the marble catches the sunlight shinning in through the large windows, how strange where they always there?

Anywhere but down. I linger on the small steps that lead to each throne as we close the distance towards the queen and king both me and the prince tightly hand in hand.

"My son, congratulations on your latest union." The king is first to speak and I look at him. He wears a wide smile on his face. I can't tell if he's being genuine.

"I suppose you think you outsmarted me, woman." The queen speaks to me directly. I look over to her and meet her cold eyes directly, I quickly shift my gaze up to her crown since the gems catch my eyes.

"I only did what was natural." The soft words leave my mouth without a thought.

I quickly add on. "Out of love."

How odd. This isn't the same as that time I challenged the prince- no, far from it. It's almost as if it's a lot easier with him by my side with me instead of against me.

"Mother, I suppose you would like to show your support for your new daughter-in-law, as well as your future queen?" The question coming from the prince didn't really feel like a question but more as a suggestion.

The queen is silent for a moment and we meet eyes again. This time, I force my eyes to stay on hers. Were her eyes always green? They are nowhere near like her son's eyes.

"Of course, forgive my rudeness, as long as my son is happy then what would I have to protest?" She stands up and slowly makes her way down to me. "I shall be the first to extend my hand in celebration."

She follows through and extends her hand. I'm left no choice but to let go of my prince's hand to accept hers. As soon as I grab on to her hand I do a small curtsy and she returns one as well. We lock eyes again but this time I give her a small smile, hoping she can tell what my true nature is through that alone.

She only nods and looks over to her husband to had also stepped down and given a bow to his son.

"I trust that you two will lead us and this kingdom to even more greatness." He tells us. A word of approval.

"Of course, father."

"Yes," the queen adds on, "I have complete faith in the both of you, together.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.9K 1.2K 35
" 'I lost my Cinderella, I think it's time to go find her.' he said and smiled as he placed his hands on my mask." ---- Y/n is a tall smart ass girl...
206 1 52
A princess hates the prince of the next door kingdom, she puts up with him as their parents are friends. Playing games and having fun, they hate each...
2.6M 77.3K 38
What If the Yule ball was a masquerade ? What if no one knew who anyone was until the unmasking at midnight? What would happen when, 7th year, Draco...
Smeared By Sam

Historical Fiction

68.3K 4.4K 28
A pair of fraternal twins are taken into a prestigious noble family to maintain good face in the snobbish aristocracy. When the brother suddenly fall...