The Esztar Code | A Mafia Rom...

By Mysteriously_Wicked

• BOOK 1 OF THE ESZTAR SERIES • Reaching upstairs, he hurled me inside his room and closed the door harshly... More

MEET THE CAST
C H A P T E R 01
C H A P T E R 02
C H A P T E R 03
C H A P T E R 04
C H A P T E R 05
C H A P T E R 06
C H A P T E R 07
C H A P T E R 08
C H A P T E R 09
C H A P T E R 10
C H A P T E R 11
C H A P T E R 12
C HA P T E R 13
C H A P T E R 14
C H A P T E R 15
C H A P T E R 16
C H A P T E R 17
C H A P T E R 18
C H A P T E R 19
C H A P T E R 20
C H A P T E R 21
C H A P T E R 22
C H A P T E R 23
C H A P T E R 24
C H A P T E R 25
C H A P T E R 26
C H A P T E R 27
C H A P T E R 28
C H A P T E R 29
CH A P T E R 30
C H A P T E R 31
C H A P T E R 32
C H A P T E R 33
C H A P T E R 34
C H A P T E R 35
C H A P T E R 36
C H A P T E R 37
C H A P T E R 38
C H A P T E R 39
C H A P T E R 40
C H A P T E R 41
C H A P T E R 42
C H A P T E R 43
C H A P T E R 45
C H A P T E R 46
C H A P T E R 47
C H A P T E R 48
C H A P T E R 49
C H A P T E R 50
C H A P T E R 51
C H A P T E R 52
C H A P T E R 53
C H A P T E R 54
C H A P T E R 55
C H A P T E R 56
C H A P T E R 57
C H A P T E R 58
C H A P T E R 59
C H A P T E R 60
C H A P T E R 61
C H A P T E R 62
C H A P T E R 63
C H A P T E R 64
C H A P T E R 65
C H A P T E R 66
C H A P T E R 67
C H A P T E R 68
C H A P T E R 69
C H A P T E R 70
C H A P T E R 71
C H A P T E R 72
C H A P T E R 73
C H A P T E R 74

C H A P T E R 44

3.9K 97 9
By Mysteriously_Wicked

44 | Dear Brother

"What's the first thing you'll say to Ava when you find her?" Vittoria asked with hope gleaming in her eyes.

"I'd say..." I trailed off. I'd never thought of it before. That's because I'd grown so hopeless with so many failed attempts.

"I'd say your uneven hair looks funny, Ava."

The offended little girl then passed me those familiar annoyed looks and I chuckled at the sight.

The flashback played in my head. It brought with itself an unnamed feeling. My sister was right next to me.

Fate must be laughing at us back then.

I should have known, right? I always felt this urge to protect her. This was the reason. Hell, I smiled when I was with her. It's because her smile was like mom's. Now when I look at her, I realized she bears so many resemblances - jet black hair like dad, petite frame and intelligent brown eyes like mom.

"She was hidden in plain sight." Toby mumbled, not leaving her bandaged hand even for a second.

To say they were shocked was an understatement. None of them spoke for about an hour after I explained them the truth. It was all so tangled. Trying to solve the puzzle only stemmed new questions.

But honestly, what why and how, none of it was of importance. All that mattered was that I had found her.

Now I was more worried about breaking it to her. I looked over at her battered form asleep on the bed. Her frail body hit the ground the moment I proclaimed the truth. A mammoth fear surrounded me.

What if she doesn't accept me as her brother? What if she hates me because of Rafael? Dread twisted in my gut at the mere thought of it.

"Hey, it's gonna be alright." Liam placed a hand over my shoulder.

"Why always my family?" My voice broke. Is it my fault? Am I doing something wrong? They both casted me pitiful looks.

"I'm sorry Oliver. We both are. We couldn't save her from Rafael." Liam apologized.

"It wasn't your fault. You tried." I assured.

"Well trying isn't good enough, Oliver." Toby snapped.

"I'm going to kill him. You know that right? I fucking mean it." I'm here just because she needs me right now.

They exchanged concerned looks. I don't blame them. They're his cousins. He was my best friend but that was in the past now. Sister or no sister, I don't approve being associated with someone so low. I knew he had a bit of darkness in him but I didn't know it was so destructive.

"I'm not asking you to forgive him but-" Liam stopped mid sentence, his eyes peering behind me.

"Vittoria!" He said softly, rushing over to her as she slowly fluttered her eyes open. She glanced at us, confused, like she couldn't recognize any of us. Or maybe she was searching for a certain someone.

Her eyes trailed down to Toby's hand holding that of her. Jerking away from his grip, she shot up from the bed.

"Stay away from me. All of you." She warned, her voice sore.

My heart sank.

"Where is he?" She pitched her eyes around the room.

No one spoke.

"Where is he?" She demanded.

"Don't worry he's still down there. You're safe." Liam assured.

"He can rot to death for all I care. Where is Mason?"

My heart broke into a million pieces. What's happening to her?

"Call Mason. Call him here and ask him to take me home." She commanded stubbornly.

"Please calm down, Vittoria." She flinched as I held her steady to keep her from falling when she tried to jump off the bed.

"Don't you dare touch me. I hate all of you." She screamed.

"You're angry, I get it. But please don't say that." Toby said poignantly. "You hate us, that's fine. We've let you down. But not him. He's hurting as much as you."

She threw us a disgusted look and dashed straight downstairs while I followed close behind, afraid she'll trip down the stairs.

"Vittoria stop!"

"Where is he?" She asked again, this time to Jake who was guarding the main door. "Jake please call Mason. They won't listen to me. At least you help me."

"I'm sorry, kid." He casted his eyes down in guilt.

"No. Stop saying that. I need my brother right now. I don't want anything else. Please Jake."

"Your brother's right here." He said.

"Shut up. Just shut up. He's not my brother. Mason is my brother. You're lying, all of you. You've all teamed up to make me go insane."

Her knees hit the ground and she cried and cried and cried, staring at the closed doors hoping her brother magically comes back to life. I just stood there staring at her. I couldn't even so much as touch her. She was completely broken. I was afraid the broken pieces of her soul would shatter at my slightest touch.

Liam came running downstairs, scooping her into his arms. She cried harder in his embrace while he caressed her head, patiently waiting for her to let it all out.

"This is too much." She whispered.

"I know. I know it's too much." He whispered back. "But I promise it'll be alright. You've got us. Give us one last chance, please."

"Who am I?" She stared so deep into his ocean eyes as if searching for her identity.

He smiled, guiding her to the couch. "You are sunshine who lights up everything in its way. Like that." He pointed out at the breaking dawn.

God! He's in love with this girl. I wish she could love him back.

I'm well aware more than half of the pain was because of her broken heart. Physical pain can't break her. She's a strong girl. I've known that way before. It's all because of this stupid heart with stupid feelings.

"Are you mocking me, Liam?" She stated plainly. That's how it's been ever since she woke up. I doubt if any feelings are still alive in her.

"No." He replied immediately. "I'm saying the truth."

"Truth?" She let let a hollow chuckle. "What's that? All I've known is lies. You're still not telling me the truth. Maybe you never will."

"I'll tell you everything, I promise." I hesitantly held her hands. She didn't protest. But it was just because she didn't care anymore. Her stance clearly said she still hasn't forgiven us.

"It's a lot to take in and your condition is really delicate right now. You need to eat something. You can barely stay conscious." I tried not to look at her her pale skin and frail body.

"No. First tell me whatever it is."

"Stop being stubborn, Vittoria."

She crossed her arms and sat back, giving a clear indication that she just won't let it go.

Definitely mom!

I sighed, walked up to her room and returned back with those photo albums and the letter. I opened my mouth to speak but couldn't find a voice. I was terrified. I having a feeling that this is only going to get worse. From what I've known, she's never been good with accepting such dramatic revelations.

"Come on, it's okay." Toby gave me an encouraging nod.

"Vittoria when you were..when...fuck!" This is more difficult than I thought it would be. I took a deep breath to compose myself and tried once again.

"Dad died in a shootout when mom was four months pregnant. Situations were getting worse day by day since the past few years. The reason why she'd sent me away from her. The enemies were constantly threatening to hurt their families. With dad being gone, she felt alone and afraid." I used the exact words of Mrs White.

"Go ahead." She said bluntly.

"She didn't want you to suffer from all those things which I did. She wanted to give you a normal life, free from all the danger so she-"

"So she gave me away to someone else and that someone else was Mason's family." She completed, her stony face still on.

"Yes." I murmured looking down.

"Did Mason know the truth? That...That I'm not his sister."

"I'm not sure but I think he did. He was eight when you were born. He must remember it."

Her reply was a dead stare. That's it. I was right. She had lost all her emotions.

"And I should believe you because?"

It kinda hurt that I have to prove it to her that she's my sister. But that was understandable. I displayed the pictures before her and a tiny spark flashed in her eyes. A hint of a smile played along her lips as she pointed a bony finger at one of the two persons in the picture.

"Mom?" Her eyes teared up as she saw Mrs Andress.

"No, sweetheart." I moved her finger to the person standing next to her. "She's your mom."

She snapped her head up, passing me a confused look. "But.. She's Chelsea."

"Yes." I caressed her hands. "Your mother. Our mother. You know you're so much like her." I smiled.

She pulled her hands away and looked away disapprovingly. I immediately felt Liam's hand on my shoulder. That gave me the strength to continue.

"The Andress family were originally the Keepers. Mason's grandfather was our grandfather's Keeper. The family backed off from Esztar after he passed away and had gone secret. Mom had been good friends with Mr Andress. She trusted them and the fact that they kept themselves hidden would help to keep you away from any trouble."

"So Mason wasn't a spy in the Invisible Army?" She asked.

"No."

"He wasn't my brother either. He was my Keeper. So he was doing his duty, I see." She spat.

"Don't say that Vittoria!" Toby gasped. "He wouldn't have died for you if it was just duty. Come on, Vittoria."

This Mason was still a mystery. All the vicious entanglement between Mason, Caleb, Av- Vittoria, my family – none of it made sense. Caleb apparently was mistaken about Vittoria being Ava. It sounds only batshit crazy which makes me question who Caleb really was? How did he know this because I'm damn sure Mason wouldn't have told him such a big secret and that too if it was a question of Vittoria's safety.

Something very dark was going on in Esztar.

I could sense the catastrophe approaching our way in full speed. It terrified me. Finding Vittoria was only half of the goal. The other one was equally important and I had no idea how I was going to do this.

"Now if the dark humor of my life is done, I'll take your advise and go get some sleep." She lifted herself up with stumbling steps.

"I'm not leaving you alone. You'll hurt yourself again. I don't trust you." I said firmly.

"Well, at least we have something in common, Mr Rivera."

"Why, Vittoria? Why?" I snapped.

"It would be great if you could elaborate a little." She shot back.

"Why do you hate me? What was my fault?" I bit back my tears. Men don't cry, right?

"That's how things work in Esztar." She simply shrugged. "People get their throat slashed just because they're associated with someone."

"I'm sorry about Caleb." I said genuinely.

"Yeah whatever." She began heading away but I stopped her.

"I said I'm not leaving you alone."

"Don't worry, Oliver. I used to cut myself because I couldn't cry anymore. I pretended being the strong girl who smiled her worries away and after a point I craved to let my tears out but I couldn't. Things have changed now. I feel no pain. Hurting myself would be futile."

"Please let me help you, Vittoria. You don't have to do this alone."

"No one can help me now. In fact, I advise you to stay away from me. I'm saying it for your own good. Everyone associated with me ends up getting destroyed."

"Well them I'm ready for it. It's what family does. Be there for each other in their worst times."

"Hmm you're right, Oliver. But we aren't family. My only family is now dead." She said coldly.

With that, she stormed upstairs to her room while I just watched helplessly, my fingers fiddling with mom's letter.

I couldn't give it to her.

How will the truth change things for them? Comment your thoughts!

Don't forget to vote, comment, share!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.1K 1.6K 39
"You can't avoid me forever Lara" I chuckled "I'm ignoring you, you idiot" "Is it?" he slowly came towards me and pressed my body with his. Now I'm c...
781K 18.3K 51
"SSSSHHHHH... What did I say, you are here to listen, so let me complete. Your family's torture is not what I want. I want you, and now listen what I...
1.1M 8.5K 9
WARNING‼️This book contains abstruse topics such as Dark Love, Abuse, Violence etc if you are not comfortable with the above please feel free to swip...
411K 10.6K 35
♣She touched me, and left a reason to exist.♣ "I can see it right through you, you desire me." He started eyes turning dark as night before his finge...