Once Upon A Royal Christmas (...

By cosmicjennies

Just before Christmas, an aspiring journalist, Roseanne Park, is sent to the foreign nation of Westfall to co... More

Once Upon A Royal Christmas
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Love Galore
The Truth About Monsters

Chapter 11

1.1K 91 64
By cosmicjennies

Chapter 11

The wind howled around her, slinging sludges of snow off tree branches above and mixing with the already falling flakes, further distorting Rosie's already weak vision in the darkening night. However, that didn't mean she couldn't see the wolves circling and closing in around her or hear their snarls and snaps. Her throat cracked from shouting and her hands stung from clapping. She was losing her edge. Even the adrenaline jolt from the nip at her boot and following kick wasn't enough to give her hope. There wasn't anything she could do. Rosie was going to die alone.

But then, through the trees, a bright light shone upon her. Squinting against it and raising her hand to shield her face, she heard the wolves' growling momentarily cease. Could this be? An angel here to save her?

A shot fired in the air. Rosie's hands immediately clapped over her ears as she ducked down; the wolves around her now whimpering. With the bright light, she could now see just how many there were - easily half a dozen. The large dark gray one in front of her now faced away from her with his tail now tucked behind his tail as he faced the source of this bright light. Rosie could barely make the saving angel's outline. Someone on a horse? A palace guard sent out to find her perhaps.

Another shot rang out. The wolves scattered as the figure road up on a horse, still holding the gun high in the air. As they approached, the light dropped lower from Rosie's line of sight and she could now see a woman extending an arm to her, but the light had left spots dotting Rosie's vision. Did the palace have women guards? How progressive.

"Get on!" the woman on the horse shouted.

Rosie didn't need to be told twice. Gripping the arm tightly, Rosie leapt onto the back of the horse, slotting in neatly behind the woman who she immediately latched on to. Not a moment after Rosie was on, the horse let out a long whine, rearing as it turned sharply under it's rider's commanding reins and shout. Fearing falling back into the wolves' clutches again, Rosie wrapped her arms tightly around the waist of the woman and curled her body around hers. Despite the layers of clothing, the body was soft but strong, and Rosie immediately felt safe. Even her hair and clothing smelled nice. Like lavender.

A somewhat inappropriate thought after the recent events, Rosie shook her head, but continued to hold fast as the horse galloped deeper into the woods. The forest blurred in the darkness as Rosie laid her cheek against the back of the mystery woman, letting the sense of calm wash over her even as the snow began to fall harder. Everything was okay. She was safe with this woman.

 Her hero.

Rosie hadn't quite realized her eyes had fallen closed until the rhythm of the horse below her slowed and the woman whom her face was pressed against leaned back. With a quick look around, Rosie realized they weren't back at the palace but instead a cabin in the woods. While the one story cabin wasn't necessarily small, it was still smaller than the barn adjoining it. A strong gust of wind blew the fast falling snow at Rosie's face and she ducked her head, resisting the urge to bury her face into the woman's back again.

"We'll stay here until the storm passes," the woman shouted over the now howling wind. "Go inside. It should be unlocked!"

Rosie nodded and dismounted the horse, pulling her scarf up to protect her face against the piercing cold wind. The other woman led the horse to the stable as Rosie pushed open the cabin door and then shut it quickly behind her. With a shiver, Rosie stomped the snow off her boots at the entrance and rubbed her arms, surprised to find the inside of the cabin not much warmer than outside. At least there wasn't any wind here, but she couldn't see anything. Her hands slid along the wall, searching for a switch, but found none. Frowning, Rosie patted her pocket once again for her forgotten phone, of course not finding it. A heavy stone of dread formed in her stomach. Perhaps the woman hadn't been her heroine after all.

Rosie jumped as the door opened again and a light filled the room as the woman came in, shutting out the now much louder wind behind her. By the cast of lights from her flashlight, the place looked as if it were a hunting cabin of sorts with furs on the wall and antlers mounted above a stone fireplace.

"Sorry, I should have known you didn't have a flashlight," the woman said as she stomped the snow off her boots. "There's a generator outback, but it only keeps the stables warm for the horses. But don't worry, I'll have a fire started in no time."

That voice... it was all too familiar. Squinting in the darkness, Rosie just barely made out those cheekbones and hazel eyes her dreams knew all too well.

"Princess?" Rosie gasped.

"Of course," Princess Jennie said as she shined the light into the fireplace and inspected the old ashes with a poker. "Who else do you think would know how to find this cabin?"

"But..." Rosie gaped as she realized with horror that had hugged and smelled the soon-to-be ruler of Westfall like her life depended on it just minutes ago. "Oh god."

"What?" Princess Jennie swung the flashlight over to Rosie causing Rosie to squint at the brightness as Princess Jennie rushed over. "Are you okay? Were you injured?"

"What? No," Rosie answered swiftly as she ducked her head down. The last thing she needed to be was a gay mess in front the literal ruler of a country. "It's just... how did you find me?"

"I heard someone clapping and shouting in the woods as I rode back to the palace, so I thought I'd investigate," Princess Jennie explained as she looked over Rosie for any wounds. "Good thing I did too. I don't think I've ever seen wolves act like that. Some of the staff thought they had seen some wolves driving to and from the palace, but I didn't think any of them would hunt so close. I wonder if the sudden snow storm had anything to do with it."

"Yeah, that was weird," Rosie said, pulling her jacket tighter as the wind howled against the door.

"These storms are pretty common this time of year, especially in these woods, but it shouldn't last too long," Princess Jennie swung the light towards a leather couch in the middle of the room. "Please, sit down. I'll get the fire started."

"I can help you with that," Rosie said, nodding towards the fireplace.

"Thanks, but I've been lighting fires since I was child. This will only take a minute. Oh and there are matches on the side table if you want to light any candles to give this place more light."

"Candles, right," Rosie mumbled.

She spotted the matchbook lying next to the candles on the side table next to the couch. Her hands were almost numb with cold as she struck the match against the side, but it didn't spark. After another try it broke in her hand. She tried again but with the same result and she let out a groan as the princess laughed.

"I swear, I'm not usually that bad at this," Rosie promised as she took out another match.

"Had me fooled," Princess Jennie said, stacking kindling in the fireplace.

"Ha!" Rosie cried out in victory as the match finally lit, but of course, the flame burnt out before it ever successfully lit the candle. "Are you sure these aren't faulty matches?"

"Perhaps," the Princess murmured. "Or perhaps the fault lies with the user."

"Very funny," Rosie said with a roll of her eyes. Thankfully, the next match lit when struck and successfully passed the flame to the candle. "Who's faulty now?"

"Very impressive, Ms. Son," Princess Jennie said. "I don't know where we'd be without you to light the candles for us."

Rosie snorted. "I see where Ella gets her sass from."

The princess flashed a smile. "It's a family trait. Could you throw me those matches? I think the fire is ready to light."

And of course, the soon-to-be queen lit the match on her first try, smirking as she did which only made Rosie roll her eyes with a laugh. Soon, a fire was roaring and Rosie's lit candle looked like nothing compared to the light and heat coming off of the fireplace. Princess Jennie switched off her flashlight and grabbed a red flannel blanket off of the trunk by the window.

"Mind if I slide next to you? And share a blanket?" she asked as she held up the blanket. "Sorry, this cabin was mostly just for my father's use so it doesn't exactly have a lot in it."

"Yeah," Rosie cleared her throat as she scooted to the side of the couch and made room. "Yeah, you can sit next to me, your majesty."

"Oh god, no," the princess said as she sat down next to Rosie, spreading the blanket over them. "Jennie is just fine."

"Sorry," Rosie breathed, doing her best not to think about how warm the royal felt next to her or how she still smelled wonderfully of lavender despite the roaring fire.

"And you prefer Rosie, right?" Jennie asked with a tilt of her head. "Even though your real name is Chaeyoung."

"Yeah," Rosie said, deliberately looking anywhere but Jennie. "It's my English name and it's a fun nickname."

"I see," Jennie nodded before falling silent.

While snow fell quietly around them, the wind howled against the windows and shook trees outside as the fire now crackled within the cabin. Unsure of what to say to the royal leader, Rosie let her eyes wander and linger on the different mounted heads and pelts of wildlife along the walls and mantle.

"So were you hunting?" Rosie asked.

"Pardon?" Jennie asked, her delicate eyebrows lifting in surprised.

"Hunting," Rosie repeated. "I mean you had a gun and everything."

Jennie breathed out a laugh. "I can assure you not many experts would advise hunting with a pistol. I only had it on me because it's the only way to convince the palace guard to let me go on my afternoon ride alone."

"That's cool," Rosie said. "I mean, that they trust you with a gun to protect yourself and all."

"Until any of them can score higher than me on the marksmanship exam, that's our understanding. Who knows how long they will honor that understanding though with the upcoming coronation," Jennie said with a shrug.

"Marksmanship exam. Cool, cool, cool." Rosie nodded. "I guess you hunt a lot then."

"No," Jennie turned to look at Rosie questioningly. "I served in the military. I'm technically still on active duty if a war were to break out."

"Ohhhhh," Rosie's eyes went wide with realization. "Because you're royal and all royals serve in the military. Like in England."

"Yeah, like in England." Jennie let out a snort and shook her head. "Wow, Ella was right. You really are a bit slow when it comes to our customs and etiquette."

Rosie ducked her head with a blush as she fought the urge to hide underneath the blanket. "I'm sorry. This is all just so new to me. I really don't mean to offend. "

"No, no, you haven't," Jennie swiftly assured her with a touch to Rosie's arm that made Rosie resist a shiver. "It's quite refreshing really. It's nice having someone different and genuine around. Ella definitely seems to enjoy your company."

"Not nearly as much as she enjoys having you around," Rosie said with a smile as she looked into those coffee eyes.

The compliment seemed to have the opposite intended effect though as Jennie's smile and hand soon dropped and her gaze returned to the fire.

"For now anyways," Jennie sighed. "It's only a matter of time before I hurt her again."

"Hey, don't talk like that," Rosie said, shifting on the couch so her body was now completely facing the princess. "She loves you. And you love her. That's all that really matters."

"It's not that simple," Jennie shook her head. "The crown demands certain responsibilities and duties that complicate my priorities. There isn't such a thing as a work life balance with it. I won't have much of a say in what I do with my free time if I even have any. It doesn't matter how much I love my niece; things won't ever be like they were before."

"That doesn't mean your relationship has to end," Rosie assured her. "Sure, it will change, but all that really matters is that you continue to try to make it work and be honest."

"You make it sound so simple," Jennie said with another sigh.

"Maybe it is," Rosie shrugged. "Ella's a pretty smart girl. She understands probably more than you know. And you're pretty smart too. I'm sure the two of you can figure something out."

Jennie finally turned her head away from the fire towards Rosie with a small smile that made Rosie's heart flip.

"You know, it's been awhile since I've had anyone believe in me."

"Really?" Rosie frowned, finding it hard to believe that anyone wouldn't believe in the woman before her. "I thought the Westfallian people were happy you were taking the throne."

"They're happy my brother's in jail and his mother is out of the country," Jennie said falling back against the couch with a groan. "The tabloids and press have been attacking me for weeks, calling me everything from ungrateful daughter, heroine, and bitch. I doubt they'll ever be happy with me as their new Queen."

"I'm sure they'll warm up to you," Rosie said quickly. "You're smart, nice, personable..."

"Except when I'm stealing your cab."

"Well... that was an isolated incident."

"You're too kind really, Rosie," Jennie said with a small laugh. "But you weren't at my last press conference. Those reporters were like vultures."

"Oh, I know, trust me," Rosie mumbled.

Those kinds of reporters were looking for something that would sell rather than tell the truth like any lazy reporter does. She was all too familiar with having to copy edit stories with wild accusations but no valid sources to them and having to rewrite them to save Choi Networks from committing slander and other subsequent lawsuits.

"I just miss how it was before all of this," Jennie said. "Back when no one cared about the youngest child of the great king, and I was free to do just about whatever I wanted. Things were just so much simpler then."

"Yeah," Rosie sighed, understanding her wish all too well. "Life is so often cruel that way."

"Unfortunately so."

"But hey," Rosie brushed her knee against Jennie's, "I think you're doing great so far. And I have complete faith you'll be a wonderful Queen."

Jennie gave her a small smile. "Thank you, Rosie. That's very kind of you."

"It's the least I can say after you saved my life," Rosie smirked. "So did you ride horses in the military like in a cavalry? Because you really did look like a pro tonight."

Jennie breathed out a laugh. "Westfall has actually retired the cavalry militarian position like most countries have in the past sixty years except in ceremony. What you saw tonight was simply the result of decades of equestrian training."

"Oh cool," Rosie nodded. "Well, it was still very impressive."

"If you want impressive you should fly with me next time I go," Jennie flashed a smile. "I was a pilot in the military."

Rosie's eyebrows shot up. "Really? Oh, I'd love to go. I love flying."

"I'll let you know next time I plan on it and we can schedule something together," Jennie smiled.

"I'd like that," Rosie said, smiling right back.

They both watched the fire dance before them, its crackling filling the silence between them. Rosie did her best not to think about just how close the Princess's hand was to hers or about how soft her palm would feel against hers if their fingers were to intertwine. Underneath the blanket, her knee brushed against Jennie's and she froze, holding her breath as she waited for the Princess to move, but she didn't. Instead, Rosie could have sworn Jennie leaned her knee more against her. Was this flirting? Or was this just Rosie simply overthinking nothing.

"It looks like the storm has finally died down," Jennie said, standing up and leaving Rosie's knee alone and cold. Yep, definitely just Rosie overthinking nothing.

"Are we going back to the palace?" Rosie asked.

"You're free to stay here if you'd like, but I would prefer eating dinner tonight and I don't think there is any food here besides decades old deer jerky," Jennie said, the coals hissing as she poured water over the fire.

"Well, when you put it that way," Rosie jumped up from the couch as her stomach growled. "I'm ready to go whenever you are."

True to her word, the storm had in fact seemingly died down just as fast as it had blown in. A nice extra foot or so of snow now covered the ground, but Rosie suspected much of that had blown off the now bare tree branches above them. Still, it wasn't anything Jennie's horse couldn't easily trot through. Careful not to cling to Jennie's waist nearly as tightly as she did before and to resist the urge to press her face against Jennie's back, Rosie sat stiffly on the back of Jennie's horse as the princess guided them back to the path that Rosie had lost before. Even in the dark woods, Jennie knew the woods too well to ever be lost in them and soon, they were back at the palace stables. A stable boy was waiting to take Jennie's horse after they both dismounted, and he watched Rosie intently as Jennie led the two of them back to the palace entrance, but Rosie chose to ignore it.

"Well, I best be getting to my office," Jennie said, as she glanced at her wristwatch as the walked into the foyer. "I'm sure Vic already has a mountain of work for me waiting on my desk."

"Yeah, and I have papers to grade," Rosie said, shoving her hands into her coat pocket. "Thank you again, by the way. It was pretty scary out there earlier. Thank you for coming to my rescue."

"It was my pleasure, Ms. Son," Jennie said with a smile that shouldn't have had quite the impact it did on Rosie's heart rate.

"And I had a nice time talking with you in the cabin," Rosie's gaze fell to her feet as she kicked the floor. "Maybe, we could do it again sometime?"

The princess barely blinked before her smile fell ever so slightly and immediately, Rosie's gut twisted into the tightest ball that robbed her of her breath. She had overstepped her bounds. Of course, Jennie, the soon-to-be freaking Queen of a freaking country, didn't have any interest in her, some dumb tutor who didn't know anything.

"As friends, I mean," Rosie swiftly added.

Rosie could have sworn that that made Jennie's smile drop further, but she couldn't be sure as in half a second, a different smile took over Jennie's face.

"I'd like that," Jennie said, finally.

"Cool," Rosie said, doing her best not to look nearly as excited she felt. God forbid she scare off the cute royal now. "Well, goodnight, Jennie."

"Good night, Rosie."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10K 401 4
When Roseanne surprises Jennie with a late-night visit while she's staying with family in the South, Jennie finds herself facing an uncomfortable con...
29.9K 1.2K 11
one was an aspiring law student who was never a believer of love after losing her parents at such an early age. one was a hopeless romantic free spir...
10.5K 460 14
Jennie Kim hates the winter holiday until her bestfriend 'forced' Jennie to come to her cabin in the mountains where she's promptly held hostage by a...
66.5K 2.4K 22
Rosé is a straight-laced, very focused student in her last year at university. Her friends talk her into a night out before the school year starts an...