Cursed to the Bone

By daniwoof

Eighteen-year-old witch, Vera Tate, attends a magic university where she meets vampire prince Lucien Lacroix... More

1. Twig Life
2. A Warm Welcome
3. Charlatans
4. Spells Fired
5. The Needle of Your Eye
6. Out for a Swim
7. The bad thing about flowers...
8. That Which Remains
9. The Center of a Storm
10. An Unfortunate Assignment
11. Becoming Friends
12. Under the Fang
13. Curious Eyes
14. Spirited Away
15. Staying Alive
16. The Epitome of Discretion
17. A Study in Control
18. Fair Game
19. Mirror, Mirror, on the wall...
20. The Cost
21. A Startling Realization
22. He's a Keeper
23. Anchors Away
24. Detention
25. Winter Blues
26. Besties
27. Reckless Abandon
28. Run away, little girl!
29. What it means to suffer...
30. Something Wicked
31. Mind over Matter
32. Mums the Word
33. The Fiery Skipper
34. Cats and Bags
35. Journalistic Instinct
36. Smitten
37. Rigged
38. Trial and Error
39. An Enemy Appears
40. When it rains...
41. Dancing with Devils
42. The Value of Friendship
43. The Pioneer Program
44. The Eyes Have It
45. The Real Threat
46. Guilty Conscience
47. No Meddling Zone
48. In Good Company
49. Special Delivery
50. Dream River
51. Unbidden Memories
52. Like a Butterfly
53. Double Trouble
54. To Bend the Knee
56. Misery?
57. Being Strong
58. Quicksand
59. Killer Instinct
60. Dangerous Curiosity
61. Sharing a Secret
62. The Only Choice
Book Two Status:
Changes Update: 12/11/21

55. The Trial of Trust

80 16 33
By daniwoof

Mayhem was the best word to describe the state of my dorm. It was a mess. Nix and Rhett were getting ready in the seating area while Naomi, Blake, and I were in our room—dresses tossed about and shoes everywhere. I had no idea why Blake owned so many dresses, but I figured she had somebody new to impress because she was practically glowing with excitement as she drew her eyeliner on. Naomi wore a new purple dress, which I thought would look lovely under the wisteria tree.

The idea of going to the dance filled me with nausea and made my heart tighten, but Naomi and Rhett were downright insistent I at least stop in. Riddled with indecision, I stood before the mirror in the emerald dress, the satin feeling cool on my skin. The gown lacked the puffiness I expected it to have, and a matching choker, courtesy of Naomi, hid my scar perfectly. Since it was long enough, I wore shorts and sneakers underneath. I absolutely refused to go without them. The only thing I was uncertain of was the mark on my chest-bone.

A fist beat on the door and we had all but five seconds before Nix threw it open. "Please say you're ready now."

Naomi threw a shoe at the door, forcing him to shut it. "You can't just barge in, what if we weren't dressed!"

"But you are dressed!"

"That's not the point," Blake joined in, dropping her hands to her hips as she rose. "What would you have done if one of us had been indecent?"

"But it's been hours," Nix whined, shoving the door open again. He flashed a grin. "You look like goddesses. The room, however . . ." He whistled.

Naomi grabbed another stray shoe and tossed it at the door. "Get out!"

"Okay, okay!" Nix slammed the door shut, his steps fading down the hall with a mumbled complaint.

Exhaling a deep breath, Blake faced me while tossing a bag of makeup on the floor. "Want me to do your hair?"

I pulled my hair into a ponytail. "This is fine. I won't stay long."

"Suit yourself."

"We should get out there before Nix comes back," Naomi said, giggling as she yanked her heels on. "He will come back."

"This is going to be so much fun," Blake opened the door and skipped into the hall, her heels thumping on the carpet. It was nice seeing her in such high spirits. "A night to remember!"

Lifting Lucien's book from my bed I tucked it under my arm. It would be a great opportunity to get some reading done so long as the others didn't try and make me stay. Not that I would consider it. School dances were notoriously awkward for people like me. Besides, Lucien was waiting.

On my way out, I shut the door and joined them in the seating area.

"All right, you doofuses." Blake looked all of us over from the door. "Have fun and be safe. I have to go find my friends. Save a dance for me."

We said our farewells and went separate ways. Naomi and Nix walked ahead of Rhett and me, too absorbed in their own world to notice how fast they were walking. Meanwhile, my two council officers trailed behind us, offering a false sense of privacy.

"The sneakers are a particularly elegant choice."

Laughing, I smacked his arm. "Don't make fun of me. I was hoping no one would notice."

"Oh, Vee. Your horrible fashion sense is what makes you, you. Take smaller steps as we get closer."

"Your suit looks nice," I said, taking in his outfit while adjusting the book. It was heavy enough to feel awkward to carry. "With any luck you'll find a nice witch to dance with. Something tells me Nix and Naomi will be distracted."

"Ha!" Rhett smirked and adjusted his dark-green tie. "As it happens, luck has nothing to do with it. Dancing is my greatest strength."

"Is that right?"

"Absolutely."

We came upon the stairs at a moment where several other students were just leaving. I had no idea where Naomi and Nix were, but I figured they were mixed into the crowd somewhere. Keeping to the rail and going slow, it was just the two of us before long.

"Rhett." I glanced his way. "I think I'm just gonna head up to Lacroix. I don't want to be in a crowd tonight."

"You all right?"

"A little anxious."

"No worries." He flashed a conspiratorial smile, his pretty eyes glittering with mischief. "I'll tell them you came, saw, and headed out."

"You're the best."

"I know. Do me a favor, at least," Rhett said as we reached the bottom of the stairs. He turned to me and shoved his hands in his pants pockets. "Ask Lacroix to dance."

Dance with Lacroix? That sounded intimate. My face warmed just thinking of it. "Why?"

"You should make the most of it, you know? It is what it is."

I smiled. "Have fun, Rhett."

"You know I will. Night, Vee."

Deviating from the grand entrance, I opened the door to the left building. Even inside, I could hear the waltz-y music from the quad. The council officers were mingling, and some greeted me as I passed, but otherwise the walk was uneventful. It felt too short. I would have stood outside, awkwardly debating my entry, but my babysitters were close by and I didn't want to look foolish. Tightening the book to my chest, I entered the room and shut the door.

The council officers might have to follow, but they didn't have to be in the room. Especially not when I was with Lucien Lacroix.

"You wore it," Lucien said, peering at me from behind his desk. A small smile graced his lips. "Stunning."

"You don't have to say things like that." My stomach flopped and I inched closer. The invitation to dance was on the tip of my tongue but it was hard to say anything when I felt so exposed. "I was going to check the dance out with my friends. Just a few minutes. But I chickened out. Should have worn my sweatshirt."

"I do not make praise lightly."

Goddess. Didn't he have a filter? Steeling my expression, I set the book down on a desk. "I'm not very good at it, but would you, um, like to dance?"

Lucien's lips quirked into a small smile. "I would be delighted."

The chair scratched on the tile as he scoot back and rose. Somehow, I was relieved and terrified all at once. I hadn't thought so far ahead and now I had no idea what I should do. Lucien crossed the space between us and offered a hand, which I took. Either I was cold or he was burning, because the touch of his hand to my shoulder blade felt hot. Finally, I rested a hand on his shoulder.

"Have you danced before?"

"Am I doing it wrong already?"

Laughter rumbled deep from his chest. "No. You are doing fine."

"I danced once. Fifth grade. It was terrible," I admit, peering down at his feet. "If I step on your toes, we can stop."

"Once you get a feel for it, it is as easy as walking. We can keep it simple."

Simple was good. I could do simple. "Sure."

Moving with the muffled music, we started slow so I could get the hang of it. Maybe it was his understanding smile or the softness in his stare that wasn't usually there, but it didn't feel half as awkward as I expected it to. The way he danced was captivating. I almost felt bad that I was his dance partner. We only moved in two directions, back and forth, turning every time. There wasn't enough room to do more, anyway. Just as the song ended, he spun me into an unexpected twirl and caught my hand as I faced him again.

My fingers tightened around his, and I realized then how close we were. It was baffling how he did this; how he managed to squeeze through every wall of resistance I had to romance. Goddess, I was a terrible cliché plucked from the cheesiest of romance novels. I took a step back, placing some distance between us.

"You dance well, for a beginner. In the future, I can teach you more."

Liar. I wanted to laugh but the timing seemed inappropriate. "And you danced . . ." I didn't know how to say it was anything other than princely, and that wasn't something I was prepared to say. Blushing, I untangled myself from him. "Thanks for dancing with me."

"I am surprised you asked. Pleased, though."

"I'm sorry that you're stuck with me." Turning from him to spare myself the embarrassment, I raised the book from the desk. "I know I'm not . . . not the easiest to deal with. I'm trying."

"I believe I said you never had to apologize."

"I know, but—"

"Stop." His voice was closer. I tensed as his arms wrapped around my front, his hands folding back up to grip my shoulders with such tenderness that I shivered. Thank goodness I wasn't facing him. I didn't know how I would hug him back. Or if I could.

"In my mind, you are the one. The only one. As you are, as you choose to be, I accept you. Do not force yourself to change."

The one? I wasn't even surprised any more. He never seemed unhappy with the situation. It was just something he accepted from the day it happened. Was it a vampire thing for an unexpected marriage to invite casual acceptance? Perhaps an age thing. It could have been my youth blinding me from seeing how not-a-big-deal all of this was. I wasn't sure.

"All right."

"Would you care for some tea?"

I nodded.

"I will return." Lucien unwound his arms and was gone in a flash.

Relieved for a moment of privacy, I fanned my face and sank into the seat to start reading. It was good to have something else to think about, and before I knew it, I was completely absorbed. A good deal of time passed before the door opened.

Lucien strode in, a pair of drinks in hand and a pleasant smile on his face. "Sorry to keep you waiting. I grabbed the guards a drink as well."

Oh. That was thoughtful. I took the drink as it was offered. "Thanks."

"You'll be more comfortable in here." Lucien moved to his office door and pushed it open. "Come on."

Folding the book shut, and careful not to spill as I hugged the book to my side, I stood. The darkness of his office was swept away as the candles lit one by one. The door clicked shut behind us. Setting the book on a clear spot of his desk, I took a seat where I usually did.

Lucien took the other seat, crossed his legs, and held the cup in his lap. His crimson gaze fell upon me, intimidating somehow. Had something happened?

Nervous, I sipped at the tea and scrunched my face. It was really sweet, and earthy, too. "This is a different one?"

"Yes. It's from a blend of potent herbs from the forest."

"Potent herbs? Like what?"

Lucien cocked his head to the side with am ambivalent shrug. "What's it taste like?"

How should I know? I took a bigger drink, allowing the liquid to rest on my tongue before forcing myself to swallow. "Sweet."

His laughter rang through the room as clear as a bell. "Yes, I suppose you wouldn't know the difference."

My stomach twisted with unease. He wasn't acting like himself. Something definitely happened. I cleared my throat. It felt dry. "You seem to be in a good mood."

"It's hard not to be." Lucien strummed his fingers on his thigh. "It's a wonderful night and you've fallen willingly into my hands."

My brain felt a little numb, just then, and my throat constricted. Oh, Goddess. The tea was drugged. The cup shattered on the floor as I dropped it in favor of rubbing my head. "What's in this?"

"Come now. You didn't really think that I had no idea what was going on, did you? Killian all but gave you the answer."

"No." I grit my teeth as I sagged in the chair, my toes and fingers tingling. That couldn't be right. I trusted him. "That doesn't make sense."

"Believe what you want. I don't care," Lucien said, his voice turned cold. "I'll deliver you to Lauvet and once we reach an agreement, well, I believe she plans to offer you to her daughter."

My heart thundered in my ears as he approached, leaned down, and yanked me out of the chair. The cool metal of a pendant with a sapphire gem brushed against my skin. As much as I wanted to choke him with it, my strength was fleeting.

"Go to sleep, Vera." Lucien kissed the top of my head, his breath hot against my skin as he said, "Your nightmare is almost over."

Thanks for reading! Please vote if you enjoyed and let me know what you thought. 💕

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

127 15 13
"Lucien kissed me as if he was starving, as if he was desperate, as if he was a sinner, and my lips held the keys to his salvation. His hands snaked...
852K 35.1K 44
Nat Xavier was just trying to survive grad school. Literally. Her closest friends would almost certainly kill her if they knew her secret. Why? Becau...
247K 14.8K 22
Nina Belmonte knows her way around death. As the daughter of skin witches lost in a magical catastrophe when she was just a baby, she grew up used to...
92 5 10
A vampire prince with a vengeance and a normal teenage girl with no clue about the mess she is about to be pulled into. Join Scarlett on her journey...