Cursed to the Bone

By daniwoof

Eighteen-year-old witch, Vera Tate, attends a magic university where she meets vampire prince Lucien Lacroix... More

1. Twig Life
2. A Warm Welcome
3. Charlatans
4. Spells Fired
5. The Needle of Your Eye
6. Out for a Swim
7. The bad thing about flowers...
8. That Which Remains
9. The Center of a Storm
10. An Unfortunate Assignment
11. Becoming Friends
12. Under the Fang
13. Curious Eyes
14. Spirited Away
15. Staying Alive
16. The Epitome of Discretion
17. A Study in Control
18. Fair Game
19. Mirror, Mirror, on the wall...
20. The Cost
21. A Startling Realization
22. He's a Keeper
23. Anchors Away
24. Detention
25. Winter Blues
26. Besties
27. Reckless Abandon
28. Run away, little girl!
29. What it means to suffer...
30. Something Wicked
31. Mind over Matter
32. Mums the Word
33. The Fiery Skipper
34. Cats and Bags
35. Journalistic Instinct
36. Smitten
37. Rigged
38. Trial and Error
39. An Enemy Appears
40. When it rains...
41. Dancing with Devils
43. The Pioneer Program
44. The Eyes Have It
45. The Real Threat
46. Guilty Conscience
47. No Meddling Zone
48. In Good Company
49. Special Delivery
50. Dream River
51. Unbidden Memories
52. Like a Butterfly
53. Double Trouble
54. To Bend the Knee
55. The Trial of Trust
56. Misery?
57. Being Strong
58. Quicksand
59. Killer Instinct
60. Dangerous Curiosity
61. Sharing a Secret
62. The Only Choice
Book Two Status:
Changes Update: 12/11/21

42. The Value of Friendship

80 18 33
By daniwoof

When Lucien returned to the tiny office, he came with two steaming mugs. Tea, I was sure, by the earthy smell. I wrapped my hands around the offered cup, enjoying the warmth that spread into my fingers.

Lucien sat in the other chair, crossed his legs, and rested the mug on his thigh. "Mr. Collins informed me you were missing. He was rather distressed."

My eyes grew wet at the mention of Rhett. I tightened my hands and forced the tears at bay. I had no intention of crying, specifically not in front of him. Sniffling, I feigned disinterest. "I guess he told you what happened?"

"He did. I understand why you feel hurt."

My gaze snapped to him as my breath caught. He stared at the other wall, providing me all the privacy I might need if I were to shed a tear or two. I rubbed at my eyes. "You don't think I'm being childish?"

Lucien pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and offered it without looking. "Feeling hurt is not limited to children."

My mind may not have been made up about Lucien Lacroix, but it was moments like that where I wanted to throw caution to the wind and trust the man. The fact that he could understand me so easily was simultaneously terrifying and calming. Taking the handkerchief, I pressed it to my eyes, the tears falling much too easily, then.

Minutes passed in quiet until I was able to stop the tears and my runny nose. Feeling awkward, I raised the cup to my lips and took a sip. It was stronger than the last time I tried it, but not terrible.

"Do you intend for your friendship to die?"

"I haven't decided." I lowered the cup, sniffling still, and watched the ripples in the liquid settle before flicking my stare his way. He remained unmoving, his gaze still fixed on the wall. "What do you think?"

Lucien's response came fast, like he'd been thinking it already, "Losing a friend will hurt more than forgiveness might."

My heart tightened and I hastily dabbed at more tears that tried to escape. "What if he leaves after I help him?"

"That is the trial of trust," Lucien said, his voice distant. "You can be betrayed at any moment, but that does not make friendship any less valuable."

I drank more tea, swallowing before I could taste it. I didn't have to trust him to know his logic was sound.

"When you have finished your tea, I will bring you to your dorm."

Even after my conversation with Lucien, I needed time to myself. I kept my distance and went back to my routine delivering mail on Saturday and giving my full focus to my studies. By then, most students had made their peace with my situation. The seniors, too, were so busy with upcoming events they didn't have time to worry about anything else. That made my day relatively peaceful.

My only unrest came from Nix Nevin—Rhett's number one advocate. He followed me as I went on my rounds, lingered when I ate in the cafeteria, loomed as I studied in the library, and finally, when I couldn't take it any longer, I locked myself in the dorm where he couldn't reach me.

Naomi was beside herself. Blake didn't care. And Rhett? I hadn't seen him since he told me about his curse.

Keeping to myself, I spent my Sunday indoors. I was curled up in bed with a book, A Witch's Word: The Power of a Deal, when the door to our room creaked open. Naomi poked her head in with a wave and a smile.

"Hey, Vee."

"Hey."

"Wanna go on a walk with me?" she asked, gesturing behind her. "I told Nix to go back to Rhett."

Snapping my book shut, I looked out the window. The sun sparkled through icicles that melted in the window, giving me hopes for a warmer day. A walk would be nice. "Fine."

Grinning, Naomi bounded out of sight. I rolled out of bed, changed, and slid my sneakers on before joining Naomi in the seating area.

She hopped to her feet and yanked the door open. "I had a fun idea for you to blow off steam."

"Oh?"

"It's a surprise." She linked her arm with mine and dragged me from the dorms to the quad, and up to the second floor while telling me what she had been up to in the last couple days. We entered the practice room. It was empty, save for Christine Waters, who looked like she'd rather be anywhere else.

"Ah, finally." Christine gestured to the floor. "I'm here to supervise your friendly spar, seeing as you're both freshmen. I hope you're familiar with the rules."

A spar? Naomi wanted to spar? I dipped my chin. "I know the rules."

"It's not for me, Professor," Naomi said, pointing at the door as a massive grin grew. "It's for him."

Footsteps sounded behind us. It was Rhett and Nix. I cast a withering glare to Naomi who shrank back and ran to the door, dragging Nix with her. "Bye, you two. Have fun!" The door slammed shut, leaving the three of us in an awkward quiet.

Sparring with Rhett? What on earth was she thinking? Rhett looked at the door, maybe feeling the same way, but when he turned his stare to me, I knew better. There was something resolute, there. Whether or not he was in on the scheme, he intended to make the most of it.

"Well," Christine said, snapping her fingers. "Let's get started."

I moved to a starting position at the center with Rhett opposite me. Before Christine could tell us to begin, he pointed at me. "I want to play Mirror. If I win, you have to hear me out."

Mirror was a modest sport for children. A game to help them cultivate their magic without much need for supervision. It didn't require any offensive talent, either, which meant that Rhett was giving up a large advantage. We simply cast Reflection until one of us missed or our magic froze.

"And if I win?" I asked, perching a hand on my hip.

"If you win, I'll leave—"

I sent a Silence spell at him, initiating the game. He was quick to reflect it, and I was only faintly aware of Christine's grumbling on the sidelines about an early start. Ignoring that, I sent the spell back.

We went on in silence for a few spells, making the same swatting gesture over and over again. Due to the low effort required for Reflection, the game could get lengthy for more powerful witches. Our game wouldn't last that long, though. Not with our meager capability.

"I know you're angry, but I meant what I said"—Rhett reflected the spell—"You're my best friend, Vee!"

"I told you not to call me that." I sent the spell back, heart pounding. "And be quiet. You haven't won."

"We went to Norbert's together. That solidified our friendship!"

"No, it didn't," I said with a snarl.

"It did for me!"

I reflected as soon as he finished casting, and the spell slammed into him instantly. It was cheating, technically, but in that moment of silence there was nothing he could do to argue it. Rhett touched a hand to his throat, shoulders sagging. I took a moment to search for Christine but she was long gone. She probably left somewhere in the middle out of sheer boredom. Good. I didn't want to say anything with an audience anyway.

I met Rhett's worried stare. Was he as hurt as I was? Did he think I was going to end our friendship? I didn't have it in me. As pathetic as it made me feel, I couldn't be the one to put the nail in the coffin.

The words came quietly and without much thought, "I forgive you in the place of the witch who cursed you."

Rhett's eyes widened and he yanked his sleeve up.

"If you were only here for the curse, don't ever appear in front of me again." Afraid of an answer I didn't want, I made my way to the door.

Hurried steps echoed as Rhett raced me there, grabbing the handle before I could. When the spell wore off, he cleared his throat. "Come on, Vee. You and I are like this." He held up two entwined fingers with a smug grin. "I'm not going anywhere."

A wave of cool relief fell over me and I looked away, holding the tears at bay. Good. I was glad. Glad he was still there, refusing to go away. "I don't know why I put up with you three."

Laughing, Rhett yanked the door open and hooked an arm around my shoulder. Naomi and Nix stood just outside the door, grinning like the schemers they were. "Because you love us."

Strangely enough, even if they frustrated me beyond belief, I did love them. That's why it hurt to think of losing them. That was friendship, and it was mine.

Thanks for reading! Please vote if you enjoyed and let me know what you thought. 💕

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

781 14 54
Before I realize what he is doing, he slides the blade down my left arm, cutting through the beautiful blue fabric. I grind my teeth together to keep...
11K 973 36
Book #1 in the "Fated" Series. Nevada Warren thought she was just another girl when she moved in an apartment with her best friend Nova Dumont. But t...
127 15 13
"Lucien kissed me as if he was starving, as if he was desperate, as if he was a sinner, and my lips held the keys to his salvation. His hands snaked...
244K 12.1K 103
"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me onto my bed sounded like a threat, but felt...