Cursed to the Bone

By daniwoof

Eighteen-year-old witch, Vera Tate, attends a magic university where she meets vampire prince Lucien Lacroix... More

1. Twig Life
3. Charlatans
4. Spells Fired
5. The Needle of Your Eye
6. Out for a Swim
7. The bad thing about flowers...
8. That Which Remains
9. The Center of a Storm
10. An Unfortunate Assignment
11. Becoming Friends
12. Under the Fang
13. Curious Eyes
14. Spirited Away
15. Staying Alive
16. The Epitome of Discretion
17. A Study in Control
18. Fair Game
19. Mirror, Mirror, on the wall...
20. The Cost
21. A Startling Realization
22. He's a Keeper
23. Anchors Away
24. Detention
25. Winter Blues
26. Besties
27. Reckless Abandon
28. Run away, little girl!
29. What it means to suffer...
30. Something Wicked
31. Mind over Matter
32. Mums the Word
33. The Fiery Skipper
34. Cats and Bags
35. Journalistic Instinct
36. Smitten
37. Rigged
38. Trial and Error
39. An Enemy Appears
40. When it rains...
41. Dancing with Devils
42. The Value of Friendship
43. The Pioneer Program
44. The Eyes Have It
45. The Real Threat
46. Guilty Conscience
47. No Meddling Zone
48. In Good Company
49. Special Delivery
50. Dream River
51. Unbidden Memories
52. Like a Butterfly
53. Double Trouble
54. To Bend the Knee
55. The Trial of Trust
56. Misery?
57. Being Strong
58. Quicksand
59. Killer Instinct
60. Dangerous Curiosity
61. Sharing a Secret
62. The Only Choice
Book Two Status:
Changes Update: 12/11/21

2. A Warm Welcome

206 31 117
By daniwoof

When I woke, my hand shot to the front of my neck, testing the gnarled scar that stretched from one side to the other. It was, unfortunately, still there. My heartbeat slowed as I blinked in the warm light pressing through the folds of the curtain. It had been a dream . . . just another mangled hallucination conjured from the day I was cursed.

I dropped my stare to the pink, knitted blanket that had somehow made its way atop me. In one swift movement, I rolled out of bed and took it with me.

Naomi was nowhere to be seen.

Folding the blanket, and assuming it was hers, I placed it on the end of her bed before going about my business.

Our school robes consisted of a button-up long-coat. That was it. The fabric was light, soft to touch, and spun with unnatural fibers of navy and gold. We were free to wear whatever tops and bottoms suited us, and in that way, I admired the neutrality of the uniform. I wore a turtle-neck with tights and sneakers. Black, of course. I had close to nothing in the way of athletic prowess, but I liked the comfort of athletic clothing.

Only Blake remained in the living area when I emerged. She tossed an apple my way, which I barely caught.

"You missed breakfast. Orientation is happening soon, and I don't think you'll want to miss that. It's pretty laid back here, but you don't wanna push your luck."

"Sorry," I said, examining the green apple. It was perfectly smooth and a rather vivid shade that suggested it wasn't grown in The Mundane. Even the smell was so potent my mouth watered. "I was dreaming."

"I know. Might have to get you a dream catcher."

"You know?"

Picking up on my incredulous look, Blake stood and dusted her hands on her pale-yellow skirt, which was almost the same shade as her hair. "Naomi mentioned it. Said you were probably in the deep planes and that I shouldn't wake you."

"Ah." I followed Blake outside at her gesture, and made a mental note to look into the deep planes another time. Uncertain of what to do with the apple, I squeezed it into my pocket. Our coats had the most wonderful, deep pockets. It was a nice change from all the clothes I had with pockets only big enough to hold thimbles or quarters.

"Tell me something about you, Vera."

"Like what?"

"I don't know." Blake shrugged, leading me from the empty hall and through the courtyard. As we emerged from the dorm building, we came upon a stone stair that stood miles over the valley. The stair itself was framed by seamless walls of rock. From the top, I could see enough of the lake to tell it was massive, even as it vanished between the hills and buildings below. "What's your favorite area to study?"

"Distortion, probably."

"Hm. I had you figured for Clerical."

It would make sense that I embraced the healing elements of the Clerical branch of magic, but I couldn't help giving her a hard time. "Because of my curse?" I asked, never tearing my eyes from the steps.

"There's a lot in there that could help you, is all I meant. It's not all healing, you know. It's undeath, too."

I wanted to tell her it wasn't any of her business. Instead, I said, "I'll dabble in all the branches."

"Oh? Hoping to be like our very own Lacroix?"

I pictured the man I met at the entrance of the school and his impassive, crimson stare. "We'll see."

The quad ahead took the shape of a rhombus between four connected buildings riddled with miniature domes, cusped arches and windows, and baroque sculpting that must have taken a decade to finish. A domed tower with a glass top rose at the far end and loomed over the giant tree at the quad's center. The width of the tree was such that the branches overhead created a large shade to the stones around its base.

"It's a banyan tree," Blake said. "Pretty, isn't it?"

I nodded. It was pretty, and unlike anything I'd ever seen.

"The headmistress is from India. I think it reminds her of home."

There was something poetic about using a tree to honor your roots.

"Come on, it's this way." Blake directed me through an open doorway into the left building where the obnoxious chattering of other students assailed my ears. I looked in all directions, taking in the vaulted, stone ceilings until she stopped at the open doors of an auditorium.

"You can sit anywhere you like." Blake jerked her thumb toward the hallway. "It's a freshman gig, so I'm gonna head out."

"Thanks for the help."

Blake winked, her amber eyes glinting. "No problem."

I turned my attention to finding a good seat. There were fewer people in the front rows. Chances were, social butterflies wouldn't bother me down there. Perfect. I took a seat at the end of a row.

I had hardly a moment to myself before a voice called out, "Tate!"

Theory, meet trashcan.

It was Rhett on the approach, wearing the same coat with slacks and a button-up shirt. Another boy ambled behind him with a cleanly-shaven head and round eyes that inspected me with curiosity. He was taller than Rhett, but scrawny, which was made obvious by the skinny fit of his denim jeans.

"Those seats taken?"

I pulled my legs in. "All yours."

Rhett scooted by and sat beside me.

Instead of doing the same as Rhett, the bald boy hopped over the back of the seat and plopped into the chair beside him. "Tate, this is Neven. Neven, Tate."

"Nix." The bald boy thrust a hand past Rhett's torso. "Does the lady have a first name?"

Shaking his hand, I ignored the weird waggle of his eyebrows. "Vera."

"A lovely name. It suits you."

I glared. "Fuck off."

Rhett slapped his hand away. "I didn't introduce you so you could embarrass me."

"Ouch!" Nix rubbed his knuckles, looking between us with raised brows and wide eyes. "I was trying to be nice."

"Well, it was weird."

My attention turned to the stage. Thick curtains of black velvet swung open with a whir. They were dark like the shadows that encroached upon my dream. Shifting in my seat, I rubbed my throat through the collar of my top. When I noticed Rhett's stare, I pulled my ponytail around my shoulder as if that had been my purpose.

"How are your roommates?" Rhett asked, tapping his fingers on the armrests.

I shook my head. "Not sure yet."

"I feel quite the same."

"You're so mean." Nix crossed his arms and frowned at Rhett. "And so is our senior, actually."

"Oh?" I arched a brow at Rhett, who nodded with a scrunch to his face.

"It's true. He thinks us the dirt beneath his feet. He's the second heir to the Vayle family. I didn't even know he existed, truth be told."

"Well, it's hard to exist in the shadow of his older sister," Nix said in a conspiratorial whisper.

Rhett nodded. "True."

It never ceased to amaze me how in-the-know some witches were. I hadn't heard of most families, and didn't care to. The only reason I even knew of Lucien Lacroix was because he was known within enchanting circles. That, and he was a vampire, which was synonymous with royalty. Or something. I knew little about vampires, only what I could read in a single book on magic-wielding races I found in the library of our previous school.

Some things were very hush-hush.

A chime rang through the hallways and behind us the remaining freshman piled in. The headmistress strode across the stage, stopped in the center, and cast a spell on herself before the doors slammed shut.

"Welcome, my dears, to Sage University. I am Headmistress Haywood."

A round of applause swept through the auditorium, as well as some cheers from the especially rowdy of us. I stuck to clapping. When Haywood appeared ready to speak again, the clapping dwindled to a shuffling silence.

"The majority of your theory work is finished. Now you will put theory into practice as you learn the deeper nuances of magic. We will still be here to guide your hand, but you are children no longer. We expect caution, of course, and that you remember the dangers of each action you take."

She scanned the crowd. "Failure to adhere to our rules will be marks against you, and may even lead to expulsion. If you have not read it already, you can find the rulebook in your dorms and at the library. No excuses."

Nix leaned toward us. "Looks like I better read the book. My parents will kill me if I'm expelled."

"No need." Rhett flagged his hand. "It's all common sense."

"As many of you are aware," Haywood said, "we observe a self-disciplined education. Your schedule is yours to decide. All classes run from eight in the morning to noon, giving you enough time for one a day. Your success is determined by your efforts, which will be reflected in your exams.

"Speaking of, there will be no written tests. Your exams are practical challenges that make use of what you've learned here. Outside of that, I have nothing more I need to say. Are there any questions?"

A couple hands shot into the air and Haywood pointed to a student. "Yes?"

"Are we supposed to pick an area of focus?"

"Oh! Be cautious of this. It is not mandatory for you to pick any one area of study so early in your education. You are free to study all or only a select few. I always recommend students attend all five in their first year, but the choice is yours."

Haywood gestured to the other raised hand. "Go ahead."

"Are we allowed to take days off?"

"Of course. We've provided you the opportunity to schedule your classes for this reason. You could never attend a class and that is fine, but bear in mind that failed exams will be weighed against efforts in class. If you're intent on self-study, you'll need to show results."

"How very hands-off," Rhett said, stealing a glance at me. "What do you think?"

"I don't mind it."

Once no hands remained in the air, the doors in the back of the room slammed open.

Haywood waved. "Your first classes begin shortly. Check the room schedules on the boards outside and select a class for the day."

"What will you study first, Tate? I think I'll join you."

I gave Rhett my full attention, unnerved by his desire to stick to my side. He mentioned we didn't have to be enemies, but I didn't think he'd go as far as to act like we were friends. "I don't need your company, Collins."

"We have to stick together, you know? We're practically neighbors."

Even if I did tell him to get lost, I had a feeling he wouldn't take the hint. "Distortion."

Standing, Rhett gestured me to go. "Splendid. Lead us out, then."

"Can I come, too?" Nix followed after us as we joined the eager crowd.

"No," Rhett said, amusement laced in his voice.

"You don't mean that, do you?"

"Of course not."

As we passed through the doorway and into the hall, I promised myself that whatever Rhett was up to, I absolutely would not fall for it.

Thanks for reading! Please vote if you enjoyed and let me know what you thought.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

692 52 12
Maija Wessels, a high school junior, is confident, clever, and insightful. She hangs out at the beach with her besties, loves S'mores, and has a majo...
639 118 31
Who ever said, Painting's were boring, that they had no real meaning to them, that evil didn't exist, that magic wasn't real, that the world was jus...
487 31 43
A girl who sees ghosts. A magic out of control. A group hellbent on destroying what they're afraid of. Maddie Johnson is sent to a mental institutio...