reparations | genshin impact

By liyueharbor

[ modern au ; florist!reader x arataki itto ] Running a business in Hanamizaka was one thing-but doing so in... More

a man walks into a bar- no, smashes his bike into your shop: what do you do?
what resumΓ©? i'm hiring myself as your number one helper!
revealing someone else's tragic backstory is NOT cool, okay?
i have a very marketable skill called "jumping to conclusions"
do i get a gold star for doing a great job or no?
question: if someone likes you, are you required to like them back?
making plans when you already have plans is a different kind of stupid
it only takes four hours to make or break someone's day
how about we just hug it out like a bunch of bros?
falling in love is the worst experience ever; i give it a 0 out of 10
sign of maturity: going to the grocery store without minding your budget
the fake dating trope only works in theory, NEVER in practice
psa: you can only call it a first kiss if all parties consent to it!

knocking on heaven's (read: my employer's) door

2.9K 136 144
By liyueharbor

"Your pressure is way too strong!"

"Whaaat? They're plants. I'm sure they can take a beating."

"Arataki, you're going to destroy the leaves!"

"I won't, calm down~"

You're more than aware of how your early morning banter is attracting the attention of the passers-by on Sakura Street. Those gazes flashed in yours and Arataki's way are quick to avert when they realize who it is they're staring at. You don't really blame them. After all, if it were you, you wouldn't want anything to do with a gang leader murdering exotic plants with a garden house out in the open.

"Give me that," you hiss, snatching the spray nozzle from his hands before adjusting the water pressure. Once you press the handle, a calm sprinkle of water douses the plants displayed outside your shop—a far-cry from the setting Arataki had it on earlier.

"That's how you water them." Huffing, you press the object back into his (not very) capable hands. "Didn't you tell me 'taking care of plants is the same as taking care of pets' the other day? Would you blast your pets with water like that, too?"

He squeezes the handle a few times, trickling water all over the sidewalk before giving you a straightforward answer. "Why not? It's fun."

Oh, dear archons.

It's been a few days since the problem child that came in the form of one Arataki Itto was assigned to your care. Honestly, it feels more of a punishment than a means to make up for last week's crashing incident, but Shinobu was so intent on having her boss help around that you just couldn't kick Arataki out. No matter how much his airheaded tendencies got in the way of getting actual work done, no matter how much he grates on your nerves in general, you steeled yourself through it all because the property they offered was the reason you can live independently today.

"Now this is an interesting mix."

You jump a little at the sound of Kazuha's voice. He's already switching off the engine to his motorcycle when you notice it parked by the curb. Those red-amber eyes are alight with curiosity as Kazuha's gaze darts between the two of you.

"Wait a sec..." Arataki crosses his arms, narrowing his eyes at your poor delivery boy. "Aren't you the scrub that Shinobu always hires to deliver back all the loot we scored? You're the same guy, aren't ya?"

"The loot you what?" you repeat.

Kazuha manages a soft laugh before procuring his cell phone from his pocket. "Even if the Arataki Gang has more official business with regards to Hanamizaka's territory nowadays, Arataki-san over here can still maintain a bit of a...mischievous streak, if you may."

"...I'm not sure what you mean by that, but—"

"Oh, I just helped some of the kids under my wing win those beetle fights I told you about," Arataki nonchalantly supplies before resuming to water your plants. "Everyone knows that the loser has to surrender all the snacks and trading cards he has to those who come out on top."

Your jaw drops at his admission. Did... Did he just admit to stealing other kids' snacks and toys for the sake of his own?

"And it happens often enough that Shinobu-san has become one of my regulars as well," Kazuha sighs before showing you the electronic receipt to your most recent transaction. "This one's addressed to...Ritou Harbor. Quite far."

"Right?" you groan before gesturing for Kazuha to follow you inside the shop. "They just ordered a box of aralia seeds, but I still have a free delivery promo going on. Which means I gotta fork over the sky high delivery rates from here to Ritou. Ugh, don't they have a local flower shop there?"

Kazuha shakes his head. "If you ask me, I think it's good that your shop's gaining traction around Narukami Island. More business ventures make for more profit."

"I guess you're right," you sigh, hefting a sealed box of seeds into Kazuha's arms. "I can't believe it's only been a month since I opened up shop."

"I'm sure the store will continue to flourish from here on out," he comments with a smile, tapping on some prompts on the delivery app. "And with the extra help you have now, it'll be an easier feat as well."

Your eyes instinctively drift over to the window, where you can spot Arataki rounding up the hose outside in loose coils that he has no trouble carrying on one arm. Though you're loath to admit it, you sigh at your delivery boy's observation—trying to force down the smile that threatens to erupt on your face.

"He's only here for the meantime, though..."

Once you've sent Kazuha off, you spot Arataki picking a caterpillar from the leaves of your freshly repotted dracaenas. You could've sworn you heard him telling it off for wandering where it shouldn't before turning to you.

"Oi, didn't you say these guys are gonna eat up your plants?" he wonders aloud, watching as the tiny caterpillar coils around his finger. "Where should I put him then?"

Well, at least he's actually retaining all the stuff you told him on his first day. You sigh, folding your arms across your chest. "Just kill it with salt in the back."

Arataki gasps, like you just uttered something offensive. "Are you that heartless, master? These guys can turn into beautiful butterflies if they live long enough! Why're you gonna have 'em killed?"

"Because they put holes in my leaves?" you deadpan.

"Unacceptable!" he shouts before marching into the shop.

When you follow Arataki inside, you find him rummaging through one of the cabinets where you kept some empty jars for sale. Your apprentice grabs one from inside, and places it on top of your work table. He does all this with his index finger still outstretched, and while you observe his maneuvering from the side, you can't help the peal of amusement that bubbles in your chest. You knew that this guy has a total soft spot for all insect-life, but to actually see his compassion in action is a whole different story.

Is he even a gang leader at all?

"There you go. Nice and comfy," Arataki says once he uncaps the jar, letting the caterpillar down on the base of the glass container. "Now let's get you some food..."

That makes you perk up. "Wh— You're not going to pluck leaves off my plants, are you?"

The culpable look on his face tells you everything you need to know.

"Ugh. Fine, give me a sec."

And that's how you end up handing Arataki a bunch of dried leaves you intended to dispose of earlier. You were used to crushing them to mix in with some fertilizer, but your stock for that is already overflowing as is, so you didn't really have a need to keep the leaves. But watching Arataki feed them to a little caterpillar—red eyes glimmering with awe—puts you strangely at ease.

Sometime later, Shinobu pushes past the front door of the shop—looking all sorts of haggard, like she usually does nowadays.

"Sorry I couldn't drop by earlier," she sighs. "How's the boss holding up?"

"Shinobu!" Arataki beams from the seat he pulled closer to the window earlier, gesturing towards the jar sitting on the windowpane. "We got a new friend!"

The deputy stares at Arataki, then the caterpillar, then you.

"Don't worry," you reassure her. "He didn't set anything on fire trying to get it into the jar."

"You say that like I set stuff on fire by default," Arataki quips.

Ignoring her boss' sidetracking, Shinobu grabs your hands in hers, squeezing almost tenderly. You're a bit surprised by the gesture, gaze flickering towards Arataki to see if he's catching any of this. But apparently, your trainee is too busy ogling his new friend.

"Thank you," Shinobu sighs, closing her eyes as she rests her forehead against your intertwined hands. "You don't know how much this means to the gang."

Blinking, you say, "Shinobu? Are you okay...?"

The deputy steps back, peeling her hands away with a deep breath. "Yes, yes. I'm just...a little tired. I'm really sorry for making you sort-of take care of him in my stead."

"So you're completely aware that you just gave me a babysitting job?"

Shinobu flashes you a conniving grin. "How about I give you forty percent off this month's rent as further compensation?"

"...Oh, don't mind me! I babysit gang bosses all year round!"

"Shinobu," Arataki drawls from the window, marching over to where the two of you stood. "I won't be home tonight, by the way. You can tell the boys to go ahead without me."

"Wait, aren't we headed to HQ together?" Shinobu wonders, voice turning serious by the second. "Boss, don't tell me you're going back there again. You already heard what Haru has to say about it. And what happened to you the last time you tried to cross them!"

Haru... That's the man who was in charge of fixing your shop. Could he be one of Arataki and Shinobu's trusted associates? He did seem like the responsible-yet-slightly-rebellious type to you. But even if you're more intrigued about what Shinobu is talking about in the latter part of her spiel, you knew better than to pry.

Arataki laughs, ruffling Shinobu's hair with a large hand. "Don't worry about it! Arataki 'The Sound Negotiator' Itto has it all under control. If they look for me, just tell the boys I'm trying to score an out-of-print trading card like usual."

"You know that only works on the younger ones, right?" Shinobu sighs, but despite her initial reluctance, there's a hint of resignation in her words; like she knows she can't stop Arataki once he's set his mind on something. "Fine. Call me when you get back to your flat or else I'm going to assume you're dead in a ditch."

"That's harsh." He pouts before turning to you. "You won't treat me as badly as Shinobu does, will you, master?"

You flash him a pointed look. "If you try to overwater my plants again, I'll gladly plan your funeral myself."

"You're all cruel, you know that?!"

...

"Hey! It's been a...while?"

The cheery tone that Thoma usually chirps up inside your shop falls short with a pause. He spots a not-so stranger behind the counter, reclining comfortably on a swiveling seat that's a bit too small for someone of his stature.

When Arataki notices Thoma's intent stare, he blinks up from a strange jar he's observing on the wooden surface. "Hm? There anything you want? I'm kinda busy here."

Several questions shoot through Thoma's head all at once: one: What the hell is this gang leader, the same guy who roughed him up a few years back, doing here; two: Why is he wearing a floral-patterned apron and; three:

"Where is the owner?" He tries to sound as civil as he can, the memories from his last altercation with Arataki—regardless of how much time has passed since—still fresh in his mind. Thoma knows that his gang isn't as bad as the rumors paint them out to be, but it costs nothing to be a bit more cautious.

Especially if a big hulking man like Arataki Itto suddenly appeared in your shop.

"Oh? You mean my master?" the gang boss perks up. "They're doin' a personal delivery to the hospital. I said I wanted to tag along, but they said I might just give the customer a heart attack! Like, what, will they pass out because of how awesome I look in this apron?"

A soft meow startles Thoma out of his initial disbelief. There, he spots Mikan pop her head out from underneath the counter, hopping onto Arataki's lap as she scratches her claws against the aforementioned apron. This terrifies the blond to a certain extent because even if Mikan is the cuddliest cat he's ever known, surely she wouldn't extend her affections so easily to—

"Arataki, you haven't been scaring my customers away, have you?"

Thoma jolts, once again, at the sound of your voice timed with the chime of the front door's bells. You're in the middle of unclipping your bike helmet when you spot him gaping at you by the freshly stocked shelves.

"Thoma? What's up?" You smile, jabbing a thumb behind your shoulder. "Sorry. I had this guy watch over the shop while I was gone. Are you buying anything?"

"Nah, I was just in the area. Thought you'd wanna have lunch or something," he coughs awkwardly into a fist, green gaze darting between you and the oblivious Arataki playing with Mikan behind the counter. "Was he just passing by or...?"

You shake your head. "He's part-timing. Sort of."

"Hanamizaka Flower Studio at your service!" Arataki chimes from his seat.

"Shut up," you grumble, and at the same time, you finally notice the way Thoma's face has been slowly but surely contorting with confusion. "It's— It's a long story. I'll fill you in when I can, yeah?"

Thoma nods slowly. "I'm guessing that lunch is a no, then?"

"I gotta update the inventory. You know how meticulous I am when it comes to that stuff, right?" you sigh, flashing him an apologetic smile. "Tell Ayaka I said hi! Oh, wait, isn't it her day-off today? You should take her to lunch instead, idiot."

There's a momentary pause in the conversation—an almost awkward tension that hangs in the air. He can even feel Arataki's gaze snap in his direction the moment the silence hits. But it's gone just as swiftly as it came when Thoma snaps his fingers with a bright smile.

"You think she'll agree to it?" He pouts. "I helped Ayaka go through some of her students' papers last night and I didn't want to bother her on her day-off. That's why I thought I'd bother you instead."

You roll your eyes. "Yes. As far as I know, she hasn't said no to you, like, ever. Now go on, lover boy. If you want to bring her some flowers, I'll even toss in a discount."

"Will you ever toss me a discount, master?" Arataki asks.

"No."

"Aw, c'mon! Where are the employee benefits?"

"Ah, it's alright," Thoma interjects with a soft laugh, shoving his hands into the pocket of his hoodie. "If I give her any more flowers, she might give me an earful."

You sigh, tucking your helmet beneath your elbow. "You do have a point. Receiving flowers won't be as special if you get them all the time."

"Oh? I beg to differ," Arataki hollers, lifting Mikan by her waist as he spins around on the swiveling chair. "I think it's pretty neat to give gifts to someone you like, no matter how often. If they like 'em, that shouldn't be an issue, right? I say you go big or go home."

"...Yeah, I was just about to go home," Thoma laughs uneasily before nodding your way. "Glad to see you have some extra help now. I'll let Ayaka know you've been holding up fine."

"Drop by whenever you feel like it," you tell him with a smile.

The moment the door closes behind Thoma, however, you feel an intense gaze from Arataki that's silently telling you he has something he wants to say. Irritably, you glance over your shoulder with a questioning look. He's stopped spinning around on your chair, thankfully, and is stroking Mikan's fur from where your cat lounges lazily on his lap. But despite the relatively calm disposition he's in, it seems that Arataki still has it in him to drop a few bombs today.

"That guy totally has a thing for you."

You nearly choke on your own breath. "W-What?"

Arataki shrugs, bringing out a comb from his pocket as he unceremoniously grooms himself in front of you. "I know ain't the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to a lot of things. I admit that. But I've never been wrong about these gut feelings of mine."

"And what exactly is your gut telling you now?"

He hums for a moment, propping the tip of his comb on his chin in contemplation. "It says that guy has the hots for you and he's just, like, totally chicken to admit it."

"Oh contraire," you challenged with a laugh, setting down your helmet by the counter. "I've known Thoma since I was a college freshman. He's in love with the woman I told him to grab dinner with! Has been for six years now. Where'd you even get the idea that he likes me, of all people?"

"Like I said, gut feeling!" he repeats, rubbing languid circles across his abdomen. Now that you think about it, the apron you gave is making good work of concealing his normally exposed abs. Wait, why are you even thinking about Arataki's abs right now? "It's not like I'm gonna force you to believe me, though. But I just want ya to know that gut feelings? Never wrong. Especially if it's my gut doing all the talking."

Can this guy be any more narcissistic?

For the rest of the afternoon, though, even if you're both preoccupied with the day's orders, you can't get Arataki's weird presumptions out of your head. What did he mean Thoma has the hots for you? That guy? The same one that's been head-over-heels for Ayaka for as long as you could remember? Well...you did find it a bit suspicious how he managed to keep his so-called feelings to himself for almost six years. You thought that Thoma was just that stubborn and afraid of rejection but...

"Yo, I'm timing out. That alright with you, master?"

Arataki promptly rouses you out of your musing a few minutes before closing time, already hanging the apron on the hook you stuck on one of the shelves. His chest is on full display again, and you sigh—feeling your face heat up under the expectation behind his crimson-eyed gaze. Dammit! It's not your first time seeing a man's chest, more so Arataki's chest, is it? What's gotten you so flustered today?

"When will you ever stop calling me that?" you ask instead, more to divert his attention than anything else.

"When you stop being my master, of course," Arataki replies like it's the most obvious thing in the world before heading over to the counter—checking out the caterpillar that's sound asleep on a pile of leaves. "Do you know when he's going to do, uh... the thing?"

You make a face. "What thing?"

"You know, when they coop up in a little body bag and hang themselves upside down like a mummy on Halloween?"

"...Are you talking about metamorphosis?"

"That one! Whatever that is."

You stifle a laugh behind your hand, making Arataki pout at you somewhat petulantly. "Sorry, sorry," you snort. "Well, it usually takes butterfly larvae to form a chrysalis about two and a half weeks after hatching. It might take a while for your friend to do that, though. It'll need lots of nutrition and exposure to adequate sunlight."

Arataki nods a bit absentmindedly. "Yeah, you lost me at Christmas list."

"Chrysalis."

"Anyways, you sure you're alright with looking after the guy?" he asks, leaning down to poke the side of the glass. "You did say caterpillars are pretty low maintenance."

"If I let you take it to your office, it might not last a day," you sigh.

"Damn, you're right. Hm... How about we name him?"

You scowl at him almost too quickly. "You're naming your pet caterpillar?"

"...Itto the Fourth! That's his name."

"What happened to Itto the Second and Itto the Third?"

Arataki hollers at that. "You don't want to know. They were the toughest onikabutos I've hunted in my life, thus the namesake, but alas, all great warriors fall in battle someday. But this little guy's gonna get special treatment, since he has two parents taking care of him!"

"I don't remember agreeing to any of that..."

"Oh, um by the way..." He suddenly takes on a meeker tone, scratching the back of his head as he rises back to his full height. This damn guy isn't even giving you leeway to contest his outlandish decisions! And is it just you or is he way too quick to transition from idiot apprentice to serious gang leader these days?

"I might not come in tomorrow. And the day after that. Maybe the day after that, too. Could you watch over Itto the Fourth for me?"

You contemplate his words for a moment, a bite of foreboding suddenly settling in the pit of your stomach. But then again, Arataki has made it this far in his life without fatally injuring himself or dying, right?

"Uh, sure. Just text me when you're going back."

His mouth hangs slightly agape, and you can see the pointed edges of his canines. "...Really? You're just letting me off that easily?"

"I'm not a tyrant of an employer, you know?" you sigh, crossing your arms. "But..."

"But?"

You hesitate for a moment, remembering the conversation he and Shinobu had in front of you sometime ago. From what you could glean from their words, it seems that the Arataki gang's boss is dealing with something big on the sidelines. Big enough to make even Shinobu worry about his well-being. You don't really know much about the gang aside from the fact that they keep things in order around Hanamizaka (and take snacks and toys from kids, if Arataki can't help it), so you can't really guess what's going on. But you can't really bear the idea of Shinobu being put under more duress than she already is.

And you've seen, firsthand, how careless Arataki can be about his own safety. How he nearly bled out on the floor of this very same room. Even if he crashed his bike into your shop that time, your first instinct was to make sure he was alright. It's no different now, when he's seemingly toeing around something dangerous yet unspeakable.

"Take care out there, yeah?" you say. "Don't give us any more reasons to look out for you, you big, lumbering moron."

You expect him to balk at the insult in his typical, Arataki Itto fashion, but what you get instead is a reaction you'd never expect to see on his face. His broad shoulders seem to relax at your words, and the ghost of a smile settles across his lips—making a familiar feeling stir in your chest all over again.

"Kinda feels nice knowing lots'a people are looking out for me," Arataki admits, the high of his cheeks tinged red. "But you all don't have to worry on my behalf, honest! I'm a pretty tough guy, you know? These fists pack one hell of a punch!"

"Yeah, yeah. You can stop flattering yourself now," you scoff. "Go on. Won't you be late to this prior commitment of yours?"

"I'm going, I'm going!" he laughs. "Bye, master! Bye, Mikan!"

You jolt when you feel your tabby rubbing her soft body against your leg, mewling as if to return Arataki's farewell. As your apprentice makes his way out of the shop, you pick Mikan off the floor and into your arms. But for some reason, you stay rooted in place until Arataki's figure eventually disappears into the evening crowd.

...

Things have quieted a bit since Arataki's impromptu leave.

You don't really spend a lot of time thinking about it, but when the thought occurs, you're reminded of the fact that it feels a little lonely without his usual racket. Even the customers who've just started getting used to his domineering presence are curious of his whereabouts.

"It's not everyday you see little Arataki wearing an adorable apron," Amane comments with a smile when she places another order for her late husband's bouquet. "But in the end, he's still a gang leader, huh? I hope he isn't stirring up trouble wherever he is."

"'Arataki' and 'trouble' are more synonymous than you think, Amane-san," you laugh, manually writing up a receipt for her. The damn register is busted today. "But I'm sure he'll be fine. He just needs a few days off."

She nods along. "I'll be needing a few days off too, after you've trained me down to the bone! Who would've known a cute florist like you can tame someone like him?"

"Uh..." Shinobu's face flits to the forefront of your mind. "Let's just say I've had some inspiration."

After working on Amane's usual arrangement, you accommodated a couple more orders you've gotten from a couple of reservation calls. Business today is slower than usual, so you didn't necessarily have to work your ass off arranging all sorts of bouquets. But once you've temporarily closed the store for a quick lunch break, you find yourself basking in the ear-splitting silence of the empty flower shop.

It's only been two days, but the lonesome you've grown comfortable with before meeting Arataki suddenly feels all sorts of foreign. He's only started working here for no more than two weeks. Why do you suddenly feel so...alienated in your own store?

Shinobu still comes by when she's free, albeit not having you decorate the usual vase she used to bring along a few weeks ago. She didn't need to buy any flowers, since her boss spends a chunk of his time working here anyways. Even if you told him he only needs to work at least four hours a day, the stubborn gang leader always insists on doing full shifts. You were a little concerned how his presence here might affect the Arataki Gang, but it seems that he's already taking care of that right now.

You take a moment to observe the jar that's been hanging around the counter for the past two days. Yesterday, you took the liberty to place a small, slightly sturdy twig you found at the park in case Itto the Fourth felt like knitting his own 'little body bag', as your apprentice so-delicately called it.

When you came down to check on him earlier this morning, you were surprised to see a silk white chrysalis hanging from one of the higher points of the branch. It's been a while since you've seen a metamorphosing butterfly up close, so you're nothing short of amazed.

It kind of sucks that Arataki isn't here to see it, though.

"Mrow."

Mikan glances up at you curiously from her perch on one of the high shelves, seemingly attuned to the unusual mood you're in. You sigh, pressing your knees to your chest as you lean further into the swiveling seat. Gods, if you breathe deep enough, you can still catch a whiff of that atrocious body spray that Arataki practically bathes in everyday sticking to the upholstery.

"Mrow..."

"What?" you ask exasperatedly, glancing at Mikan as her tail swishes behind her. "It's not like I'm worried about him or anything."

She doesn't make another sound after that, but you can almost hear her say: Yeah, right. Stupid cats, and their stupid, superior emotional perception...

All these intrusive thoughts, however, are interrupted by the sound of your phone buzzing. You fish it from the pocket in front of your apron, only to come face-to-face with a message from Thoma.

Thoma [12:45]: Heyy, Ayaka's asking if you wanna have dinner with us later

Thoma [12:46]: Me, her, and Ayatoヾ( ˃ᴗ˂ )◞ • *✰

Me [12:47]: Huhhh Ayato is back ?

Thoma [12:50]: Yeah! His business trip took ages but he's back

Thoma [12:51]: He already reserved a table at Komore Teahouse & everything (╥﹏╥)

Thoma [12:51]: Wanna come with?

Had your conversation happened a week ago, you would've accepted in a heartbeat. Thoma and Ayaka have been your constants during college, but Ayato played a huge part in making all your road trips and out-of-town excursions possible. He may be diligent with his work, but he isn't above spoiling his little sister and her friends every now and again.

But when you remember what Arataki said about Thoma and that baseless gut feeling of his...

You shake your head. You're the one who's known Thoma for half a decade, not him. As if you're going to let the assumptions of a pesky gang leader change the way you see one of your best friends! Besides,

Me [12:55]: Sure, what time are we meeting up?

...

You're not usually one to doll up for a dinner date with your friends. Jeans and an old university pullover usually did the trick. But you tell yourself that it's because Ayato's going to be in attendance as well that you're pitching in some effort into tonight's fit. Definitely not because you have a weird compulsion to look good in front of Thoma after Arataki's weird tip.

And...besides!! You've been wanting to use the blouse and skirt you thrifted a few weeks ago, but just haven't had the time nor the occasion to use it. It'd be such a waste to let them gather cobwebs in your closet when you're given a sound opportunity, right?

Mikan looks oddly supportive of your 'dolling-up' escapade, too. As you concentrate on making sure the wings of your eyeliner are even on both sides, she sits quietly on top of your vanity. You like to think that she might've been cheering you on in the silence.

"How's it look?" you ask, grinning at yourself in the mirror. Oh, the lipstick shade you picked is absolutely stunning, too. "Man, I should really do this more often, huh?"

"Meow~"

After a few final touches to both your hair and makeup, you're pretty much good to go. But when you check the time on your phone, you realize that you don't have to show up at the teahouse for at least one more hour. Sighing, you plop yourself back on top of your mattress to send a quick text to Thoma.

Well, that was the plan until you hear the distant sound of hurried knocking beyond your bedroom.

This makes you frown a little. You closed up shop earlier than usual because of the plans you made with Thoma and the Kamisato siblings. And you usually never get calls and orders beyond working hours anyways.

Mikan is already one step ahead of you as she hops down the spiral staircase leading to the shop. You carefully maneuver each step, not wanting to ruin your nice outfit by accidentally falling off the stairs. But when you make it to the ground floor, you're struck by an odd sense of déjà vu. Like this particular scenario already played out the very same way before.

When you undo all the locks to the shop's front entrance, you realize why that's the case.

"Hey," Arataki greets casually, hands shoved into his pockets as he grins. Oddly enough, he isn't wearing his usual, traditional get-up. Instead, the gang boss is donned with a dark black coat that's buttoned up all the way. "You're lookin' pretty good, master. Got a date with destiny or something?"

You blink, nonplussed by his sudden presence after two days of radio silence. He hasn't even sent you a single text, and he just suddenly shows up at your doorstep like this?

"You can say that." A pause. "What are you doing here, Arataki?"

He steps into the shop with muddy boots. You have half the mind to tell him off for tracking dirt when you just finished mopping the floor. But the words promptly die on your tongue when Arataki leans down to rest his head on your shoulder.

"...Arataki?"

The gang boss breathes out a shaky laugh, his breath fanning across the bare skin of neck. You can feel patches of gooseflesh prickle across your shoulders from the sensation—rendering you completely stock still.

"Say, we've been working pretty tight these past two weeks, huh?"

You feel your own breath hitch as each steady vibration of his voice reverberates onto your skin. "What are you—"

"But you haven't even called me by my first name at all," Arataki sighs before slumping further into your grasp. As big as a guy he is, he can easily topple the both of you over if you aren't careful, so you reflexively let your hands coil around his massive torso, forcing him to stand upright. What the hell is wrong with him? Is he drunk or—

Suddenly, you feel a warm, damp patch against your fingers. That same sense of foreboding that struck you the moment Arataki asked for a quick leave strikes you down once again—amplified about a hundred times over.

"Hey, master. Can you do a few things for me?"

Your heart is beating erratically in your chest, and you're hyper aware of the brisk manner in which he draws each breath. "What?"

Arataki laughs, one arm snaking around your waist as his free hand cards through your hair. "The first is, don't take me to the hospital. Second, don't contact Shinobu or any of my boys."

"But you're hurt—"

"And the third is..." He trails off for a moment, and you feel the pressure of his weight ease a little when he rises to look at your face. Arataki's blood red eyes are glazed over in that same, injured delirium they were the first time you met him—staring at you like you're the most precious thing in the world.

(Distantly, you wonder if he can ever look at you like that when he isn't all fucked up like this.)

"I want you to start callin' me by my first name. I'm your...apprentice after all."

You let out a frustrated groan as you grab both of his shoulders, forcing him to meet your gaze. "Arataki, I don't know what the hell you've been doing out there, but I need to take you to the—"

"Say it."

"Stop being so difficult! Why are you bleeding? Did someone stab you or—"

"Say it," he repeats, grabbing your chin as he rests his forehead against yours. This close, you can make out the intricate red lines that run down his face, like blood red teardrops leaving a crimson trail in their wake. Even the curve of his mouth is open to your perusal, making you gulp as you shove down the urge to ogle him in spite of his condition.

You know you shouldn't prolong the time he isn't receiving any first aid. You also know that you should've broken free from his grasp and dialed Shinobu's number stat.

And yet...

"Itto," you murmur, feeling your own tongue tingle at the syllables of his name. "Please let me treat you. You're hurt."

Arataki keeps his silence for about three, stuttering heartbeats before he collapses back into your arms. You yelp, forcing all of your body weight against his to keep yourself from falling to the floor. He sighs so deeply, like he's the one being terribly inconvenienced, that it makes you want to punch him in the face.

But when he cages you within the warmth of those strong arms, you can find it in you to complain.

"...S'good enough for me."

...

Me [20:14]: Hey, Thoma? I'm sorry something came up. I can't make it tonight.

Me [20:15]: I'll make it up to all of you soon, I promise!!

Me [20:15]: Btw, you STILL owe me for the last bouquet you gave Ayaka. Don't think I forgot.

Me [20:20]: Uh, anyways I gotta go. Tell the siblings I missed them lots, okay? Have fun!

...

(I swear i don't get a kick out of injuring itto all the time in this story)

Patch 2.3 drops tomorrow and after more than a year of playing genshin, i can't believe i'm still a slave to this stupid gacha game, writing fics about stupid fictional himbos,,, 

anyways!! good luck to all albedo and eula wanters! and to my fellow itto nation, stay strong </3 we've got three more weeks til the king himself knocks on OUR doorsteps kekw <3 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

283K 5.4K 60
Bonten Oneshots, headcannons and stories. Hope you enjoy it β™‘! All the credits for the images and characters goes to the rightful owners.
87 0 8
Yes, I'm doing another AU for Shelby and Itto, this time a Romeo and Juliet story of the two. Enjoy! TW: Death, blood, and mentions of suicide I prom...
153 7 6
"Allow me to guess, your intuition led you straight to this spot?" You queried with a bitter edge, fully aware of the answer. "Well... you could put...
200K 9.3K 38
❝ OH BOOKSTORE GIRL, I WONDER WHAT YOUR NAME IS. ❞ ( 𝗖𝗬𝗑𝗒 𝗫 π—™π—˜π— !π—₯π—˜π—”π——π—˜π—₯ ) ━ MODERN AU αΆ» 𝗓 𐰁 β΅ŒπŸŽπŸŽπŸ’. ❝ also did you know someone dies...