The Devil's Order ||ON HOLD||

By Lil_vegas

"It's funny how life can go off the rails in two weeks." Chad Unger just wants the suffering to end. The Bul... More

Authors Note+ Disclaimer
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19

Chapter 9

6 2 2
By Lil_vegas

I slowly munched the spoonful of rice in my mouth thoughtfully.

Mom and Derek were busy chatting about something in vexed tones and my step sisters were playing with their food.

I was the only inactive person on the dinner table that night. My mind was flowing with a darkened traffic of thoughts.

Dad had called me. He sounded just like I remembered him.

"Dad," I said shaking when I heard his voice. "Is it really you?"

He took a while before answering," Yes Chad. . .it's me."

Tears welled up in my eyes and before I could say anything, he hung up.

I gaped at the phone screen in disbelief. A few seconds later, I received a message on my phone.

"The alleyway at Bernie's," It read. "10 o clock, Bring the Book."

I sighed in relief. I was going to meet my fricking Dad!!

Bernie's was the best. . .and only diner in our town. It was were kids hung out in the evenings to catch some fun. I only go there with mom or Jason.

"Can you pass me the potatoes?" Derek asked, snapping me out of my brief reminiscence.

"Sure."

I reached for the bowl of potatoes which sat directly at my front and passed it to Derek who sent me a warm smile.

Derek had always tried to be nice to me, which was something I didn't want.

Mom and I were fine before he came along.

I put the last spoon of rice into my mouth and pushed my plate back.

"What's for dessert?" I ask my mother.

"There's no dessert, bitch." Natalie snapped.

I blinked in surprise.

"Natalie!" Mom cautioned her.

"Where the hell are your manners girl?" Derek said. "At your age I could never say these things in front of my father. He had something called the Belt."

I didn't say anything. I stood up from my chair. "Good night mom,"

"Hey where do you think you're going?" Derek questions.

I stare back at him. "My room, where else should I go to?"

"Sit." He orders me. "I've called for a mandatory family meeting." He smiles feeling like the president of the United States.

"What is this, some kind of society?" I say. "Since when do we start having mandatory family meetings?"

"Since now," Mom said, her face straight and stern. "Sit Chad"

I sit down, only because Mom told me to.

Derek sighed and said, "Your Mother and I have decided that all of you except Patricia should get part time jobs."

Natalie groaned and banged the table and Patricia grinned like and evil elf.

"Why?" I said shocked to the marrow. "I don't need a part time job Mom. I mean what with the SAM club and. . ."

"It's not an option." Derek said.

"Even though I'm the Principal of the elementary school," Mom began. " Salary from the board aren't always coming in as usual. . .most teachers have already left the school and your father's job isn't fetching enough money."

I sighed and sunk into my chair. This was definitely not happening.

"We've already arranged everything for you," Derek said to me. "We're still not sure if Natalie can have a job at this age."

Natalie's face brightens up. The little bitch.

"From Saturday," Mom said. "You will begin work at Bernie's.

I scoffed. "Mom why didn't you tell me a this before?"

She sighed.

"I'm going to bed." Patricia yawned."Goodnight everyone". With that, she leapt off her chair and Natalie followed suit.

Derek stood up too, kissed mom and left.

Mom got up and took the dishes away. "Goodnight son," she said.

I glanced at the clock on the wall. It was a few minutes past 8.

"Hope Dad won't mind if I see him a no little bit early."

I dashed to my room.

Maybe getting a part time job at Bernie's was the best thing to do at this point.

Maybe I could fetch money for the family. I regretted my behaviour at the dinner table, I bet mom's pretty pissed at me.

And working at Bernie's would actually be pretty cool. If kids do hang out there, maybe Madison does too.

Yeah, I thought. But what kind of chick would want to go out with a guy who works at a diner?

I mean girls like boys which cash right?

I pulled open my drawer and pulled the book out.

It smelled like it had been on this earth since Jesus's crucifixion.

I opened the book and flipped through a few pages. The pages had yellowed with age and words were written in some weird language.

I closed the book and threw it into my backpack and lunged it over my shoulder.

If Dad was part of this "The Devil's Order" maybe I could become a sorcerer and make Frederick and his pals pay.

I locked my room door because I knew that mom was going to check on me sometime. But she doesn't bother herself once she learns that the door is locked.

I brushed past a poster of Mariah Carey and opened my window and stepped out into the cool night.

I sighed and bolted towards the street.

Bernie's Diner stood fine and elegant. It's Neon green lights shone brightly in the dark and made the building stand out.

I could see different sets of people inside the building enjoying themselves.

Kids. Couples. Families.

I sighed, maybe one day I could bring Madison here.

It was a sweet fantasy but with this book in my backpack anything was possible.

I decided to wait inside Bernie's till it was 10.

I pushed past the glass doors and looked for an empty booth.

They were all filled up except one at the very back of the diner. I sighed, if people saw me sitting there alone they would think I was a loner or something.

"Ordering something Chad?" Came a voice.

I turned around to admit Bernie Mendelssohn. He was the owner of the diner, obviously.

Bernie was a fat man in his early fifties and he has lived in this town all his life. His grandfatherather knew Stanley Anchor. The founder of our town. . .if you had forgotten.

"Umm. . . I'll have a burger." I say.

"That's all?" Bernie asks raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah," I say shoving my hands deep into my pocket.

Bernie disappears for a moment and returns with a small burger wrapped in white paper.

"Eighty five cents." He said.

I search my pockets hoping to have enough money.

I bring out a couple of cents and count them. Luckily, I have just enough.

I pay up and collect the burger from Bernie.

"Looking forward to see you here on Saturday kid," Bernie smiles.

I smile back, awkwardly and walk towards the empty booth.

I settled down on the chair and munch on the burger.

The front door burst open and in walked Madison with three of her hot-as-fuck friends.

I stopped munching and stopped to stare.

My heart probably stopped for a while. Madison and her friends were busy ordering at the counter.

I grinned to myself. Maybe after I meet Dad, I could ask him if there was a way he could conjure up some kind of love potion.

I waved the thought away. I remembered an episode of Rick and Morty, in which the love potion shit didn't actually work for Morty.

I remembered what Lil Vegas told me.
"Love someone for who they are, not what they're not."

Maybe I could just try to talk to her.

You know, like most people do!!!

But nothing mattered now, because I gaped in complete horror as Madison and her friends walked towards my booth.

"Hi Chad," She waved to me." Mind if we join you?"

Shit.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5K 626 16
A school trip goes wrong when a class gets lost in the woods and stumbles upon a strange "family" living deep within them. ___________________ 2023 I...
2.7K 144 16
Two friend groups, 10 people, 1 house bonding these strangers. Either they figure out how to escape together, or die trying. There is no other optio...
4.9K 277 29
This is book 2 in the No Turning Back trilogy. If you haven't read book 1, read that before reading this. -- Vizor's gone. Everyone spared from his w...
4.5K 870 33
||6X FEATURED|| For the Slates, Demon Slaying is the family business. And eighteen-year-old Perrin has fully embraced her chosen profession. But when...