✧The Earthe of the Elves✧

By StoriesbyAvery

"Upstairs!" I hear a yell and pounding footsteps. I crawl out of the window until I'm hanging from my hands... More

Note + aesthetics
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
54
55
56
57
58
59
60- Epilogue
3 & 4 - Knox
17 - Knox
28- Knox
30 - Knox
59 - Knox
Extra chapter:)

53

100 7 1
By StoriesbyAvery

Mia's POV

--------------------

The familiar scent of fabric and a cozy fire fills my nose as I enter Keya's clothes shop. Seeing the desk Keya stands at, her kind face with gentle wrinkles, the lines of dresses waiting to be tried on, all brings back a rush of deja-vu. I can almost see in my mind that night, when I first came here. I picked out a dress, dried off, and met my first Bailewood elf besides Knox. It's a refreshing feeling to be in here, similar to that of revisiting your first school years after leaving it.

"Mia," Keya greets me, surprise and joy clear in her voice. Her smile is as bright as when I first met her, and she grabs my hands in a welcoming gesture. "It's lovely to see you again."

"You too," I say genuinely. This is a great distraction from the whole Knox situation. I smile at the women before glancing around the shop. I only see dresses here.

"Looking for armor?" Keya asks, as perceptive as any elf would be. I nod.

"Yes. I don't suppose you have any...?"

Keya waves her hands in a dismissive gesture and laughs. "Of course I have armor! Come." With that, she leads me to the changing rooms, in an alcove in the corner of the store, by a blazing fire. The memories of that first day sink into me like the warmth from the flames.

I remember being awed at the fact that there was a fire inside a tree. I can picture Knox settling down onto the couch while Keya handed me a pile of dresses. I had picked the green one.

As I sit in the dressing room now, with a few sets of armor Keya gave me a moment before, I recall the feeling of the fabric of the dress I chose, the way it seemed to seamlessly fit me. I remember the way Knox looked at me when I first came out- like he had never seen me before. His words had hesitated. At the time I didn't think twice about it.

Stop, I tell myself. I need to focus.

With that, I spend the next half an hour trying on armor, having Keya adjust it, then trying on another set. Most sets are white, with gold engravings. Keya says the color changes depending on the forest- since it's winter, all the soldiers will wear white to blend better into the snowy landscape.

Most sets include a chest plate with shoulder coverings and leg coverings. They're surprisingly comfortable, as I discover as I walk around the shop. A few other elves are in the store too, most also buying armor. I guess they're all preparing for war too.

It touches my mind briefly that I have armor in my closet back home- I pause my thoughts at the word home, but decide not to linger on it in fear of what that might entail- but I'd rather buy something from Keya, of probably the best quality.

Or I just really wanted something to keep my mind off the circumstances.

"Wow," I breathe as I look at myself in the mirror. I'm wearing a set that's white, of course, with gold stitching that attaches the armor to chainmail to that goes all the way down my arms. Gold swirls and patterns run neatly across the chest plate and down the legs. I'm not surprised that it fits me perfectly. The chest plate bumps out at the right places, but is snug enough to feel protective. It's surprisingly lightweight, and I move my limbs around a bit to test out how flexible it is. I look like a soldier. Or a warrior.

"It's beautiful on you," Keya says kindly, her eyes meeting mine. She must know I'm not just buying this for show. I wonder if she's surprised, a halfblood who hasn't even had half a year's worth of training going into battle. I guess I could say I'm a little surprised at myself too.

I turn to her and smile right back. "I'll take it."

-

It's not hard to find Halion. I go to the training arena, and when he's not there I try the pool. When I walk into the steamy room, I see him doing backstrokes across the length of the pool, head back and eyes closed.

"Hey," I say, my shoes echoing through the room as I walk over to where he is.

"Hi Mia, how are you?" He says, opening his eyes smiling in that friendly smile he always has with me.

"I'm good... As good as I can be, I guess." I fake a small laugh before rolling my pants up, taking my shoes off, and sitting on the edge of the pool while Hal treads water effortlessly.

"Yeah, I know what you mean."

For a minute I just sit on the edge of the pool, my ankles submerged in the warm water, thinking. Eventually Hal sucks in a deep breath and sinks under the calm surface.

"So, anything you wanted to talk about, or did you just come here to swim?"

For a second I think I'm... Hearing his voice in my head? It's all muffled. Then I see bubbles rise to the surface of the water, and when I look down Hal is still underwater, but is looking up at me and smiling.

I laugh in surprise, genuinely delighted that I could hear him under water. And that he can speak underwater.

"Neat trick," I say loudly, knowing full well he can hear me just fine. I bite the inside of my cheek and nod. "Actually yeah, I did want to talk to you about something."

With my tone more serious, Hal comes back up, wiping the water out of his eyes and swimming over. He rests his forearms on the rim of the pool next to me and pedals his legs below him.

"What's up?"

"Well, uh..." I swallow, trying not to sound awkward. "Knox and I kinda got into a fight. Kinda."

Hal's eyebrows raise. "Really? That's unexpected. About what?"

I explain our conversation to him, and he goes through the same shock Knox did when he hears about Rothilion still being alive. But, of course, less upset than Knox.

"Wow, I can't believe he's alive," Hal repeats once I've finished the story. While Knox looked shocked, Hal looks more awed.

"Yeah," I start, tucking my blonde hair behind my ears idly. "I know you've known Knox for longer than I have... Any ideas of how to approach this? He's never really been mad at me before."

Hal nods sincerely, blowing out a long breath.

"Well, he's probably not mad at you alone."

I shake my head a little in confusion. "Who else would he be mad at? Not his dad..?"

"No no," Hal replies, "he's probably mad at himself. After his dad left, Knox's mom let him go with some soldiers. They went looking everywhere for him. But after a few years, he kinda gave up hope. Everyone did. Now that he knows that Rothilion is alive, he probably feels guilty that he stopped looking."

"Well that's stupid, he shouldn't feel bad," I say incredulously.

Hal smirks. "I think you should tell him that."

I roll my eyes, but smile and nod. "Thanks Hal."

"Anytime," he calls as I stand to go. "Oh, and maybe give him a good 'ole kiss, that'll make him feel better!"

My laugh echos through the room, and we yell nonsense at each other back and forth until I can't hear him anymore.

-

Knox's door looms in front of me. I bring my hand up to knock, but seem to freeze, nervousness spreading through my mind.

Why am I so nervous? I know I've never been in a situation like this, but damn it- calm down.

I knock.

Wait a few seconds.

Knock again.

Wait a few minutes.

Sighing, I decide he must not be in his room. Gears turn in my head as I think of where he could be. A lightbulb goes off, and I rush to the alcove that I met him in one night, the place with the huge window you can see the sky in. When I reach it, though, he's not there. I let out a groan of frustration. I shove my hands in my pockets and grab my transport stone. Time to go to every place I can think of!

Wait, a thought emerges. First try to get a higher vantage point. Maybe I'll be able to see him outside.

I know exactly where to go.

The wind is blowing hard, pulling at my dress and whipping my hair around as I climb the endless stairs, heading to the top of the tree I was just in- the same spot I went to when I first found out my dad died.

This time, as opposed to all those months ago, I'm barely breathing hard when I reach the top, but my injured leg is pulsing with a dull ache.

And sitting on the bench, facing away from me, is Knox. I almost run back down the stairs. I didn't expect him to be here.

But, I steel myself and slowly start to walk over.

"Suilad, Mia," he says, greeting me in elvish. He didn't even turn his head when he said it. He must know the sound of my footsteps.

"Hi." I walk over, and when he doesn't make any move to get up or turn away, I sit next to him on the bench. Close, but not close enough to be touching.

For at least five minutes we sit in silence, looking through the branches to the streets below. I can tell Knox is okay with the silence for now. I watch an elvish bird, blue and yellow, settle in front of us on a branch, chirp a few times, and fly away. I wish I didn't have to say anything. I'm not good at these kinds of talks.

Eventually, though, I speak up. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you right away," I say, my words feeling jumbled and awkward. Quickly, I close my eyes and let out a nervous breath. It should not be this hard to talk to people.

"I should've told you sooner. And- I really am sorry that I couldn't... That I didn't get him out too. I wanted to." My last sentence comes out in a whisper. It's so true, those words can't sound awkward. I glance over at him, his perfect side profile, his hair blowing in the breeze that's started to calm down. His jaw is tight. I look away.

A moment later, I feel his fingers lace through mine, holding my hand tight. I look over at him, and he's looking at me now. All of the anger that were in his eyes earlier is gone.

"I know. I'm sorry I got so mad. It's just in the moment, learning that he's alive... I promise I wasn't really mad at you. I apologize for taking it out on you." I almost smile at the formal elfness of his words. He sounds as sincere as me, and I can't help but let out a little breath of relief, the nerves in my chest uncoiling.

"I was upset," Knox continues.

"Understandably."

He gives me a small smile. "I know you tried, and I'm grateful. I'm glad you found him in the first place! I mean, god, we had all given up." After those last few words he closes his mouth into a thin line, looking forward again. I give his hand a gentle squeeze.

"You shouldn't feel bad about giving up, Knox. He was gone for ten years, I think it was probably logical to assume what you did about his whereabouts. And now that we know where he is, we can get him out... If I'm going to stop feeling guilty about all this, you have to, too."

Knox blows a breath through his nose and smiles a little. Then he removes his hand from mine and drapes it over my shoulders. The wind finally stops as I rest my head on his shoulder.

"So... Forgiven?" I say, looking back up at him.

"Is that how it goes in the human world?" He asks, teasing. I squint my eyes in mock annoyance.

"Yes. Forgiven?"

Knox's smile is adorable as he uses his thumb to tilt my chin up. He gives me a quick kiss before settling back into a comfortable position.

"Forgiven."

-

That night, I lay in bed flat on my back, staring at the canopy above me as crickets chirp outside in the pitch black. I let my thoughts wander. They first go the the war, which is rapidly approaching. I let my mind run through fighting stances and scenarios, I even picture myself fighting El in the training room. Then my thoughts stray to my friends, El and Hal and Flint. I can hear their laughs that one day when we all went to the pool room, or when I first met them weeks ago at lunch. I need them to live through this war. And Knox.

I'm not tired tonight, and the thought of him doesn't help.

Without warning, some moments between us- the Winter Solstice ball, training, the pool, the hotel on Earth- all come flooding back, the emotions and feelings coming with them.

I blink the thoughts back, suddenly overwhelmed. My heart is pounding with the whirlwind of thoughts I'd let myself run with. Well, I'm definitely not falling asleep now.

I pinch my lips together in the darkness and squeeze my eyes shut. Then I let out a sharp breath and sit up, my eyes already adjusted to the dark better than any human. I step into my slippers and pull a silk robe on before heading out into the dimly lit hallway.

I make sure to keep my feet as quiet as possible as I head upstairs, my arms wrapped around myself as the warmth of my bed seeps out of my t-shirt and shorts. I don't know where I'm going, but part of me does.

Another flight of stairs, another hallway.

I can feel the sensations of the memories building up inside me. What is happening?

I try not to walk so fast, I don't know why I am. I take another flight to another hallway. I take a right and find myself by Knox's door. The minute I reach it, the door opens wide and Knox steps out, in a loose pair of pants and one of those loose, white satin tops with billowing sleeves. His hair is loose and shining in the candle light.

He looks surprised to see me.

"Oh, hi," he says, sounding a bit out of breath.

"Hi."

"Couldn't sleep either?" He asks, holding the door open for me after a moment.

"Nope," I say, walking into his room. I swallow down the feeling building up in my throat.

Knox closes the door and walks over, lighting a dim candle on the wall that sends a comforting glow across the room. I look at him, and he looks back at me. I swear he can feel the tension too. I don't know why it's there, buts it feels tangible enough to reach out and touch.

I can see flecks of gold in Knox's amber eyes.

Then suddenly I'm closer to him, his breath fanning my face. I look into his eyes again. He gives me a look, and I take the message. I hastily pull his lips to mine.

His hands don't hesitate, one cupping my cheek while the other grips my waist, pulling me even closer. I can't seem to stop myself as all the emotions inside me burst like fireworks. I've missed this.

Knox's lips are warm, as is the rest of him. Then suddenly he's sitting on his bed, setting me on his lap as his fingers comb my hair away from my face. I quickly take my robe off, too hot already.

I run my hands across his shoulders, into his soft hair. Knox's lips move from my lips to my cheek, leaving a trail of sensation. He brings one hand to my hair and gently pulls my head back as he kisses my exposed neck. My thoughts go fuzzy. Everything feels warm. My heart feels like it's working overtime.

I don't quite know what's come over us.

I swear I can barely think straight when he brings his lips back up to mine, his hands on my back as I somehow end up lying down on his bed, the silk sheets soft against my skin. I run my hands under his shirt, feeling his smooth, hot skin against my hands. He helps me by pulling the shirt off in one easy tug. In that moment our eyes catch, and his are filled with the same emotion that I'm feeling. Knox grins in the dim light and kisses me again, hard but still somehow gentle. I swear I almost pass out. A shiver works through me as I feel his fingers start to trace my leg, from my calf all the way up to my thigh, resting there for a moment before moving over my shorts and dipping just barely under my shirt. His fingers are on the bare skin of my waist, and my skin feels like it's burning, in the best way possible.

This is impulsive, it's something I didn't even think about. I ended up here. Knox was probably leaving to see me when he came out of his door. What makes a person want another person like this, I have no idea.

But I'm completely powerless against it.

So I let the tide drag me under, helpless.

-

The only noise is the crickets chirping in the pitch black. I lie in the dark, under the blankets, next to Knox. His arm is around me, and my head rests on his bare chest. I'm tired now, even though the fuzzy, lightheaded feeling from earlier is still there.

"Gerich veleth nín, Mia," Knox says softly, running a hand through my hair and resting his cheek against the top of my head. I smile in the dark. I love when he speaks in Elvish- It sounds so elegant and beautiful.

"I love you," I whisper into the darkness before drifting to sleep.

—————————————————————————

SORRY this is as much spice as you're getting;)

(the elvish phrase at the end means 'you have my love,' aka I love you)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

593 56 18
Book One is finally complete, please look forward to Book Two, The Chronicles of Arnora: The Zemorian Invasion! Thousands of years ago there was a gr...
49.5K 2.7K 29
Once upon a time, there lived a poor little girl in the dirty streets of the human world. With her parents gone and her having to survive alone, she...
Static By Hattie

Teen Fiction

7.5K 317 17
{COMPLETED} "now that you've had your fun electrocuting me, would you care to hop in the backseat?" ...
10.3K 939 100
"Three weeks. That's how long I got to have drama-free. I'm not sure what is happening to me or to Oakwood. Nothing's the same since I rolled into to...