The Last Lotus

By ThickThighsJimin

Being sent back through his past lifetimes to save the person he loves, wasn't something Kyan Wang ever fatho... More

Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine

Chapter One

49 3 1
By ThickThighsJimin

Chapter One

The streets are quiet that night, not many people can be seen passing by the small shops and businesses that make up the main part of the town. It isn't that unusual for a Monday, late into the evening. Most of the shops have already closed for the day, ready to open again bright and early the next morning. The only two places on the block that are still lit up and open for business are the biggest rivals in town.

Nobody can understand why since their businesses are quite drastically the opposite of each other. One being a quaint and cozy little cafe, and the other being a more modernized bar. One is more light and open, bright-colored walls and ceiling, while the other has few windows and has few lights inside. While one plays loud, almost obnoxious music, the other plays more light and mellow sounds. Where one serves alcohol, the other serves coffee.

It really is a bit peculiar how two businesses that normally wouldn't be very opposing, could have built up such a rivalry with each other. The only things that they seem to have in common is the fact that they are located on the same street, and are both food service establishments.

However, if anyone was to take a gander into what truly makes up the so-called rivalry between both the cafe and the bar on the northside of town, they will only become more perplexed than they already are by the arrangement.

Inside the dark exterior of Wither, the main culprit for such a rivalry stands behind the dark mahogany-colored bar with that always too bright and optimistic smile spread across his face. Even though the night is slow, he keeps up a good attitude. Joking with the regular customers like usual and automatically serving them their favorite alcoholic beverages without having to be reminded of their preferred poison.

"How are the kids doing, Randy?" Kyan asks the middle aged man with a bald spot the size of a cantaloupe on the top of his head. The man takes a seat on the bar stool in front of him, Kyan already pouring out the whiskey on the rocks that he knows is the man's prefered drink.

Randy takes the glass of golden-hued alcohol that's offered to him with a grateful smile, taking a small sip before answering the young man's question. "They are testing my patience as of lately," the man says with a deep sigh, most-likely thinking back to something his children must have done recently that has pushed his already strained nerves.

Kyan smiles sympathetically at the older man and gives him a small pat on the shoulder. Being a bartender you get to hear a lot about people's personal problems. While under the influence of alcohol a lot of people liked to vent about things they normally wouldn't tell anyone in normal, everyday conversation. That's how Kyan was able to learn that Randy's wife had passed away a few months before and he is now trying to raise his three teenage daughters on his own, as well as keep up with his ever-busy work schedule from being the assistant to one of the biggest CEO's in the city.

"I'm sure they are just being teenagers," Kyan tells the man reassuringly, allowing the smile to spread across his face as he fondly thinks back to himself as a teenager. He was probably what you'd call the worst kind of teenager. Rebellious, sarcastic, and always picking fun at anyone he could. Looking back he regrets how much of a prick he was back then.

"Kyan knows all about being a rebellious teenager," a slightly amused, female voice says. Suddenly behind the man at the bar.

Kyan lets out an offended sound as he turns to playfully pout at the girl that now stood behind him. Gin stands a foot shorter than Kyan, an inch just under five feet tall.

She is of Japanese descent with long, dark brown hair that she always has braided into two braids down both sides of her head. She has a pair of honey-tinged brown eyes that accentuated the rest of her features. Her face is heart-shaped and extremely delicate, her skin unblemished and pale.

Kyan has to chase away her countless pursuers more than he can count. The two of them grew up together and have always been partners in crime. Gin has always been a fiery spirit, which matches pretty well with Kyan's own mischievous personality. They have gotten into quite a bit of trouble together back in their school years.

"I think I remember that you had a bit of experience of being a rebellious teenager yourself," Kyan fires back at the girl with a point of his finger and a raised eyebrow, waiting for her to attempt to deny it.

Gin lets out a puff of air at the words. She places her hands on her sides in a dramatic pose, as she sends him a playful glare. "That's only because you were an awful influence. I don't even remember why I went along with any of your antics back then," she fires back at him.

Kyan shakes his head and lets out a loud chuckle as he smiles brightly at her. "That's because you loved me too much to tell me no," he tells her teasingly, leaning against the bar as he gives her his best puppy dog eyes.

Gin lets out a small sigh of defeat as she lets the stony look dissipate from her face, replacing it with a fond smile for her best friend. "You're right I never could tell you no whenever you give me that look," she says in defeat, reaching out to poke at one of the man's cheeks with her pointer finger.

The smile on Kyan's face only seems to brighten at the attention from the girl. "Then would my best friend allow her favorite person to take a break from his very strenuous task of manning the bar?" He teases jokingly with a small wink pointed her way.

Gin only shakes her head as she drops her hand from the man's face. She should have known that he would use this as an excuse to try and get out of work. However, they are insanely slow, so there really isn't any harm in allowing the man to take a small break as she watches the bar.

Letting out a small sigh, she gives him a look of defeat. "Fine, but no more than thirty minutes," Gin tells him with a pointed look spread across her face.

The biggest of smiles spreads out across Kyan's face. "Thank you, Gin!" He chirps at the girl as he unties the apron wrapped around his waist.

Gin only shakes her head at the excitable man as she watches him slip into his leather jacket. "Don't bug Silas too much," she calls after the man as he makes a move to leave the bar.

Kyan only waves at his best friend in answer to the words, and she throws a knowing smile his way as she watches him slip out the door.

Kyan pauses by the light post in front of Wither as he retrieves the pack of cigarettes that is hidden inside of his jacket pocket. Taking one of the sticks out of the carton he places it between his lips, quickly lighting it up. As he takes in a lungful of the smoke, he takes a glance at the little restaurant across the street.

It isn't as glorious at night as it is during the day, but Kyan thought it still has it's charm during the night. It's floor to ceiling windows spread across the front of the building make the bright lights from inside be cast out across the sidewalk and street. The inside can be seen even from where Kyan stands beside the light post across the street.

He can see everything fairly clearly inside of the other building, despite his distance from it. He is even able to appreciate that familiar polite, but yet stony look spread across the face of the man that stands behind the checkout counter. If Kyan doesn't know any better, he would think that the man is scowling.

Silas Jeong, the one man that he can never tell what he is thinking, or even feeling for that matter, but the one he wants to know about the most.

He admires the way the man pushes his round and thin-rimmed glasses back up onto his face as he turns the page of the book he is reading. It is most-likely a super slow night for the cafe as well and the man always seems to pass the time in this way. Kyan often finds himself where he is now, smoking a cigarette as he watches the other man reading from his spot at the light post. He always found it endearing whenever the man seems so invested in a book that he doesn't pay attention to the world around him.

Letting a mischievous smile spread out across his face, Kyan disposes of the rest of his cigarette before he makes his way across the deserted street. As he makes it to the entrance of the cafe he admires the elegant cursive sign with the name Bloom lighting up in a neon shade of green. Kyan always admires how well the name seems to fit the cafe.

Inside the small building, it almost looks like the cafe itself is blooming, plants are spread amongst every corner of the building. It is almost as if you are walking into a jungle and not a cafe, but that is the charm in it.

The reading man doesn't even look up when the bell on the door rings at Kyan's entrance to the cafe, too invested in whatever scene is unfolding inside of the pages he is reading. The smile only spreads further across Kyan's face, this is what he was hoping would unfold, after all.

Skipping his way across the mostly empty cafe, he only stops when he's right in front of the reading man. "Silas!" Kyan chirps in the most obnoxious and whiney voice that he owns.

Silas jumps a bit at the sudden noise, but quickly composes himself, an actual scowl making its way across his face now at being interrupted during his leisure reading. The man doesn't even acknowledge Kyan's presence in front of him, knowing that the man is only there to tease him. Instead, he goes right back to his book, that stony expression spread across his face.

Kyan lets out a fake sound of offense. "Hey, Silas don't ignore me," he calls to the man, a pout making its way across his face at not even getting a greeting out of the man.

"Silas!" He whines again.

"Oh, great Chef Jeong please give me a moment of your time and acknowledgment," Kyan says, even going as far as to kowtow to the other man.

Silas only sighs as he turns the page of his book, trying to tune out the teasing man in front of him. Kyan only pouts deeper at being ignored. He only wants the other man to acknowledge that he is there. Is that too much to ask? Suddenly an idea pops into his head as a smirk spreads back across his face.

"Maybe I came to order something, Silas. Would you treat any of your other customers this way?" He asks the man, trying to goad him into talking to him.

This gets Silas' attention. Looking up from his book with that scowl returning to his face he only stares at the man in front of him. "You wouldn't be, you believe my food is too bland and tasteless," Silas says simply, before turning his gaze back towards his book, that neutral expression returning to his face.

A small flash of regret flashes through Kyan's eyes. He quickly recovers, not wanting the man to see his remorse for his past actions.

"Did I really say that?" He asks instead, trying to feign innocence that he really didn't remember his past mistakes.

"Yes," Silas says simply in that cold tone.

Kyan puts a thoughtful look onto his face, as he pretends to remember that day. "Hmm, you're right maybe I did say that, but Silas maybe you should try to liven it up with more flavors this time and surprise me with a dish that makes me marvel at your wonderful cooking skills," he says in such a sure tone.

Silas' scowl only seems to deepen at the words.

Kyan winces as he realizes how his words must have sounded. "Not that your normal cooking isn't great, I'm sure lots of people like it a lot, but changing it up a bit for other people's tastes doesn't hurt, does it?" He asks, trying to fix his mess up of words, but only seeming to dig himself into a bigger hole than when he had started.

Silas pauses for a second, before he glances up from his book. He sends the scariest of looks Kyan's way as his patience has finally come down to it's breaking point. "Piss off," he practically growls the words as he continues to glare at the male in front of him.

A startled look makes its way onto Kyan's face at the tone. No matter how much he tends to annoy Silas day after day, this is the very first time the man has told him to officially leave him alone and get lost. He's also never heard the man swear in the eleven years of knowing him, always such a stickler for manners and politeness. He really must have screwed up this time.

Kyan knows he should apologize to the other man for having pushed him too far, but instead he looks down at his nonexistent watch pretending to be looking at the time. "Oh, look at that I've got to head back now, I said I would only be gone for a little while. I'll see you later, Silas," he rushes out, turning to make his retreat from the cafe.

Kyan really isn't expecting any response to his departure, and none came as he makes his exit from Bloom. At the entrance he takes one last glance back towards the other man, only to find that he has gone back to his leisure reading. He still holds a small crease between his brows to show that he is still slightly annoyed.

Kyan lets out a small sigh of distress when he's hit with the tepid night air outside. "I always end up screwing things up," he curses to himself, hating the fact that he doesn't understand how to socialize with the one person he wishes he can the most.

"Every time you try to correct things between you two, you only manage to make them worse," he mutters to himself as he makes his way back across the empty street.

"Why do you even try anymore?" He asks into the night air, wishing that there is someone there that can give him such an answer.

He isn't sure if he can even fix things after this. He really has messed things up this time, after all.

***

It is around one in the morning and the bar has officially closed over an hour ago, but sitting on one of the black leather couches inside of their lounge area is Kyan and Gin. A drink in the former's hand as he tries to drink away his emotions over the events that happened earlier that night.

"How do I always manage to do these things?" Kyan whines out taking another large gulp from his glass filled with his fruit-flavored alcoholic beverage.

Gin let out a small sigh as she places a hand on top of her best friend's shoulder giving him a reassuring squeeze and apologetic smile. "Don't blame yourself entirely, Ky," Gin says, being the supportive friend that she is. "He is also at fault. You both aren't good at expressing yourselves to each other."

Kyan chuckles at the words, taking another sip of his drink before replying to Gin's words. "I think he expresses himself clearly towards me, he clearly shows that he hates me," the man slurs out his words, an angry look suddenly spreading across his face. His eyebrows seem to furrow at the idea of Silas actually hating him.

Just the thought of the man disliking him that much has Kyan's heart panging inside of his chest. "That boring, stoney-faced nerd, why do I even like him?" He growls out, downing the rest of his drink in an act of trying to bury the sorrow that is trying to eat away at him.

Kyan pushes himself up from the couch that the two of them are sitting on, dislodging his best friend's hand from his shoulder in the process. An uneasy feeling makes its way through Gin as she watches him stumble as he makes an attempt to head back towards the bar, only making it a few steps before almost collapsing.

She quickly rights him as she takes the glass out of his hand. "I think you've had enough. Drowning your problems in alcohol is not the answer," she tells him strictly, setting the glass safely down onto a table near them.

Kyan only glares at her, clearly not happy with being cut off, but it is for his own good. Nothing good can come from him drowning his problems in alcohol rather than getting up the courage to actually buck up and deal with them.

"Then how do you recommend I deal with my problems?" Kyan suddenly snaps at her, making a move to walk away from her, only to stumble again.

Gin sighs as she wraps one of Kyan's arms around her shoulders and moves to lead him towards the entrance of the bar, preparing to walk him home and put him to bed. The man only lives a few blocks down the street so thankfully it won't be that far of a walk, but it will most-likely be a difficult one with her stubborn best friend in tow.

"The two of you have never changed. It's the same as it was back in our school days. If you'd only just talk things through, instead of being at odds with each other, you wouldn't be where you are now," Gin tells the male as she practically drags him down the desolate street.

Kyan only chuckles again at the words. "Of course nothing has changed since high school. He hated me so much during high school, and he still holds that hate for me today, maybe even more than he did back in high school," he tells the girl dramatically, a sad pout spread across his face as he thinks about the other man.

Gin only rolls her eyes at her absolutely oblivious best friend, and the even more oblivious man who owns the cafe across the street. "I have told you about the phrase Koi No Yokan, haven't I?" She suddenly asks her drunk friend as she drags him up the steps of his apartment.

Not really believing she can have a meaningful talk with him while he is in this kind of state, but feeling like it is something he needs to hear right now.

Kyan lets out a dramatic sigh as if the phrase is that annoying to him. "Only about a hundred times," he groans out as she fishes her own personal key to his apartment out of her purse.

Gin rolls her eyes at the tone in his voice, as she struggles to unlock the door and keep the man upright, at the same time. She lets out a small huff of relief when she's able to safely push the door open, quickly dragging Kyan inside and locking the door behind the two of them.

She doesn't say anything else until the two of them have finally arrived at his bedroom and she's able to set him safely onto his bed. "No matter how annoying you think I am bringing it up all the time. That is you and Silas, you both don't seem to realize it, but you're destined to be together. I can just feel it," she tells him, knowing in her heart that this is true and she believes every word of it.

Kyan only chuckles at the words. "Yeah, right," he says, finding the words to be oddly amusing in his current state. He doesn't believe in things like true love, or things like destiny. He believes that your fate is up to yourself and yourself alone to decide upon your own paths in life. Whether that be your love life, or career path it is all up for you to decide and make come true.

Not some form of otherworldly being, or thinking to decide to come and make true for you.

"We're totally meant to be. Soul mates practically," he mutters bitterly, annoyed by just the thought of having no other options, but to be drawn towards one single person in life. It sounds incredibly unpredictable and illogical and he just can't believe in something like that.

Gin only watches sadly as the man lets out another bitter-sounding chuckle as he continues on with his words. "He can't even stand to look at me and all I manage to do is tease and ridicule him every time I see him. Totally a match made in Heaven."

Gin sighs at the dramatics in the man's words, knowing that there is really no way of getting through to Kyan about these things on a normal day, let alone when he's drunk. She just shakes her head as she ignores the man's bitter words and self pity in favor of taking care of his current state so it isn't as bad for him in the morning. Even if he would kind of deserve all the pain of what is coming to him with his future hangover, she is too good of a friend to allow him to struggle too much. Plus, if he ends up getting too bad then she will have to run the bar all by herself and she really isn't looking forward to that idea.

Searching through the man's drawers she finds a pair of black sweatpants and a clean plain blue t-shirt, quickly chucking them in the direction of the man on the bed. "Get changed, I'm going to go and get you some medicine to take in the morning," she calls towards the disgruntled looking male.

Kyan lets out a small huff in response, but doesn't argue as he watches his best friend disappear from his bedroom and head in the direction of where the bathroom is located. Staring down at the clothes in his hands he is tempted to ignore Gin's words, but instead he does as she says and quickly changes into the comfier clothes.

By the time that Gin returns to the bedroom with a glass of water and the bottle of pain medicine, her best friend is already fast asleep. The man is sprawled out across the top of the covers in almost a starfish looking position. Letting an amused smile make its way onto her face, Gin helps the sleeping man into a more comfortable position underneath the black comforter.

"You really are stubborn," she says to her sleeping best friend as she tucks him into bed, a fond smile on her face.

She knows that the man is going to have one heck of a hangover in the morning and really hopes that it doesn't wear him down too much. "Stay in bed tomorrow and don't force yourself," she whispers to him, even though she knows he can't hear her.

With one last look at the snoring man in bed, she makes her way out of the apartment. Ready to get some of her own beauty rest, knowing she has one long day ahead of her tomorrow. Regardless if Kyan's hangover is bad or not.

🌸🌸🌸

Question: So is it good? Did I portray the characters well? What do you think of them?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.1K 403 29
It was the most fucked up idea. Offering up his self dignity to give pleasure to his one enemy, Kai, just because he was afraid he'd have his ass ki...
385 87 37
With fate bringing them back together, their dark past also following, Liandro and Alexander are faced with the feelings they've always had and hard...
263K 23K 48
Xiao Zhan, who looks like an ordinary guy with his handsome face and well defined body, has extraordinary skills, which no living human on this earth...
142 13 15
Love was something Kỳ had believed in. But meeting the boy of his dreams and leaving his hometown labelled an obsessive abuser put everything into pe...