Far Longer Than Forever

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Odette was brought out of one curse only to endure another. Once again, she and her true love were separated... More

Playlist and Aesthetic
Season One
00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
Season Two
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
Season Three
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
Season Four
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16

09

276 8 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

Henry was at a convenience store near the comic books. He was flipping through a comic, a girl about his age approached him and asked, "Whatcha reading?"

"The Hulk versus Wolverine," Henry replied.

"I'm Ava," the girl said. "I think I've seen you around school. You're in Miss Blanchard's class, right?"

Henry nodded and another boy close to his age walked up to Ava.

"Almost ready, Ava?" the boy asked.

"This is my brother, Nicholas," Ava told Henry.

Nicholas smiled. "Hi. Come on -- let's go."

"You want to come hang out?"

"Sure!" Henry exclaimed.

He went to leave the store, but was stopped by Mr. Clark, the owner.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?" Mr. Clark demanded, looking at Henry. "Open up your bag."

"What?" Henry wondered.

"Don't think I didn't see you rob me. Open your bag."

Henry frowned and said, "I didn't take anything."

Mr. Clark took his bag and looked through it, pulling out fistfuls of candy. "And a liar, too."

Henry turned to Ava. "That's why you were talking to me. So your brother could put that stuff in there."

"Henry... I'm shocked. And you two -- just who do you think you are?"

ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

A man was hacking at a tree with an axe until he managed to topple it. Gretel and Hansel appeared from behind another tree.

"Ah! A fine specimen," the father said. "The wood it provides will keep our family's hearth warm this winter."

"Can't I have an axe?" Gretel asked.

"Huh?"

"You did say you wanted me here so I could help."

"That I did. So, here's your task – take the cart, go fill it with kindling. The drier the better."

"Okay."

"And have your brother accompany you."

"Okay." Gretel picked up the end of the cart and went to leave.

"Wait!" He removed the compass from around his neck and placed it over Gretel's head. "Take this."

"Your compass?"

"So you don't get lost. A family always needs to be able to find one another."

"Yeah."

"Okay. Go. Be safe."

Hansel and Gretel took the cart and went deeper into the woods.

---

Hansel and Gretel were still collecting kindling for their father. Hansel had a slingshot and was shooting rocks into the forest.

"It's getting late," Gretel said. "We should go." She took his slingshot.

"Hey!" Hansel cried, "Give it back. Come on, Gretel! Give it back."

"No, Hansel. We need to get back to Father."

"Fine."

"Follow me." Gretel led them to the area where their father was cutting down trees. However, there was no one there. "This is where we left him."

"So why isn't he here?"

"Father!"

"Father!" They heard a noise in the distance and started running in that direction.

"Father! Father! Father!"

They ended up coming to a road that cut through the woods. When they turned to head down it, they encountered several of the Evil Queen's guards on horseback, as well as the Evil Queen's carriage. Two of the guards dragged Hansel and Gretel to the carriage. The Evil Queen stepped out.)

"What are you doing in my forest?" the Evil Queen asked.

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT DAY

Regina came to the convenience store and Mr. Clark said, "Well, I'm sorry, Madam Mayor, but your son was shoplifting."

Regina looked at Henry. "Were you?"

Henry shook his head.

"Look for yourself," Mr. Clark told her, showing her inside Henry's backpacks.

Regina pursed her lips. "My son doesn't eat candy. And he knows better than to steal. It was obviously those two. We're going."

Regina and Henry headed to the door and Emma and Derek walked in just before they could leave.

"Henry. What happened?" Emma asked.

Regina looked at her. "Miss Swan, must I remind you that genetics mean nothing. You're not his mother and it's all taken care of."

"I'm here because I'm the Sheriff and I've brought my deputy."

"Oh, that's right. Go on -- do your jobs. Take care of those miscreants."

"Did you call their parents?" Emma asked.

Mr. Clark met her eyes. "Uh, the number they gave me was disconnected."

Emma turned to the kids. "Did you guys give Mr. Clark a fake number?" Ava and Nicholas shook their heads. "Then why's it disconnected?"

"'Cause our parents couldn't pay the bill," Ava replied.

Emma's face softened. "And you guys are just trying to help, huh?"

"Please -- please don't arrest us. It will just make things worse for our parents."

Derek shook his head. "We're not going to arrest you two, but shoplifting isn't a way of life, and I hope you've both learned a valuable lesson."

Ava nodded. "We have."

ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

Hansel, Gretel and the Evil Queen were still on the road in the forest.

"Please forgive us," Gretel said. "We didn't mean to bother you, we just... We just lost our father."

"Two helpless children. Lost and alone. A family torn asunder. Such a sad and moving story. Guards – seize them!" the Evil Queen ordered.

Gretel took out Hansel's slingshot. "Hansel, run!"

Hansel ran into the forest. Gretel flung a rock at the approaching guard, which disorientated him enough for her to get away. Gretel followed Hansel into the forest. The guard started to chase after them, but the Evil Queen stopped him. Hansel and Gretel were running up a hill, when the Evil Queen dissipated and appeared in front of them.

"Running from me is foolish." Hansel and Gretel attempted to get away, but the Evil Queen summoned a group of vines to catch them. The vines wrapped around them, leaving them immobilized on the ground. "Foolish, but also brave. And that bravery may just have saved you and your family's lives." The Evil Queen vanquished the vines.

"You... You're letting us go?" Gretel asked.

"Oh, I'm doing so much more than that. I'm going to find your father."

"You are?" Hansel questioned.

"Why?" Gretel wondered.

"Because you two are going to do something for me," the Evil Queen said.

"And then, you'll take us home?"

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT DAY

Emma drove them to their house and asked, "This it?"

Ava nodded and Emma and Derek took off their seatbelts and went to get out of the car, but Ava stopped them. "Please, no. If our parents see you, they'll be so embarrassed."

"Did Henry tell you about my superpower?"

"We just met him."

"I have the ability to tell when anyone is lying. Tell me the truth -- money problems aside, is everything okay at home?"

"Yeah, we're great. Can we go?"

"All right."

Ava and Nicholas got out of the car with a bag of stuff and went up the stairs of the house. They stopped at the front door, turned around, and waved at Emma before she drove off.

"They're gone," Ava said. "We're good."

Instead of going inside the house, they went back down the stairs and around back where they jumped the fence. They ended up behind an abandoned house and entered through the basement. Inside, Ava unpacked the things they'd taken from the store and Nicholas sat on the bed. They heard a noise coming from upstairs. As they went to investigate the sound, they found Emma and Derek.

"Why'd you guys lie to us?" Emma asked. "Where are your parents?"

"We don't have any," Ava admitted.

Derek let out a sigh and glanced at Emma.

---

Emma and Derek made their way to Mary Margaret's apartment with the siblings and got them food. They spoke with Mary Margaret on the side. Emma was holding a file about the kids.

"Do you know them?" Emma questioned. "Do they go to your school?"

"I've seen them, but... I had no idea," Mary Margaret replied. "None of us did."

Derek opened the file. "Ava and Nicholas Zimmer. They said their mother was a woman named Dory Zimmer. She died a few years ago. No one seems to know her or remember her."

"And the father?"

"There isn't one," Emma said. "At least not one that they know."

"What does, uh... What does Social Security say?" Mary Margaret asked as Emma gave her a look while Derek shrugged awkwardly. "You two didn't report them."

"Derek and I report them, we can't help them. They go into the system."

"The system that's supposed to help."

"Yeah, the system I knew and was in for 16 years. Do you know what happens? They get thrown into homes where they are a meal ticket -- nothing more. These families get paid for these kids and as soon as they're too much work, they get tossed out and it all starts over again."

"But they're not all like that."

"All the ones I was in."

"What? We're just going to adopt them?"

"I want to look for their father. They don't know him. He may not know they exist."

"And if you think he knows, he'll want them?"

"I don't know. But what I do know, is it's hard enough finding foster families to take one kid that isn't theirs, let alone two. It's their best shot, or-"

Ava, who was eavesdropping, was in tears. "We're going to be separated?"

Emma shook her head. "No. That's not going to happen."

"Please -- please don't let it."

---

Emma and Derek made their way to Mr. Kryszkowski's office and entered. "Excuse me. Mr. ...Kryszkowski?"

"Yeah, it's Krzyszkowski. Everyone calls me Mr. K," he replied.

"Mr. K. I am Sheriff Swan and this is my deputy Derek Howard. We're hoping to look at the birth certificates of Ava and Nicholas Zimmer."

"All right, just, uh, fill out this form -- in triplicate." He pulled out three identical forms.

"Okay." Emma began filling out the forms.

Mr. Krzyszkowski looked through a filing cabinet. "I'm so sorry. Those documents have been recently removed."

"By who?" Emma and Derek asked.

---

Emma and Derek made their way to Regina's office.

Regina looked up at them. "Don't worry, Miss Swan, Deputy Howard. You can relax. I've contacted Social Services. Turns out these kids are on their own. They need help."

"Which is exactly what Derek and I are trying to do," Emma shot back. "We're trying to find their father."

"Well, he doesn't exist." She handed Emma a file.

"He has to." Emma opened the file to see that the Father section of the birth certificate had 'Unknown' written on it.

"Well, of course, biologically, he exists. But there's no record of him. Which means we have no choice -- these children need a home, so they will be put into the foster system."

"Storybrooke has a foster system?"

Derek shook his head. "Unfortunately, no."

"No, but I've contacted the state," Regina replied. "Maine's got group homes, unfortunately, they are filled. But they put us in touch with two homes in Boston -- a boy's home and a girl's."

"They're separating them?" Emma asked.

"I don't like it, either. But we've got no choice. You need to have them in Boston tonight."

"Me?"

"Well, you wanted to be Sheriff. This is what sheriffs do. Yes, you're taking them."

"No. I promised them they wouldn't be separated."

"Well then, perhaps you should stop making promises you can't keep. These children need a home. I'm just trying to find the best one."

ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

The Evil Queen, Hansel and Gretel were walking through the woods. Gretel was fiddling with her compass.

"What is that?" the Evil Queen asked.

"My father's compass," Gretel replied. "He gave it to me so I could find him, but now it's broken. When are you going to tell us where we're going?"

"This is close enough."

"Close enough to what?"

"The home of the Blind Witch."

"That doesn't sound good," Hansel said.

"She has something of mine. And I need you to get it back."

"What is it?" Gretel wondered.

"Something I need to defeat a very wicked and powerful enemy. It's kept in a black leather satchel inside her house."

"Well, why don't you get it yourself? How come you need us?"

"Because the house is protected by magic. I can't enter. But, luckily, the spell doesn't work on children. You'll have to wait here until nightfall. And then, once the witch is asleep, you can sneak in."

"And if we do this, you promise you'll find our father?"

"Oh, indeed, I will. But there's one more thing – the witch's house is... unique. And because of this, you have to take special precaution once you're inside."

"Like what?"

"No matter what you do, no matter how you're tempted – don't eat anything." The Evil Queen pulled back a branch, revealing the Blind Witch's gingerbread house.

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT

Henry was looking through his book and noticed something.

He glanced up at Odette and said, "We need to get to Emma."

The two of them made their way to the station and found Emma and Derek sorting through files and papers. They sat on either side of her on her desk.

"Any luck?" Henry asked.

"No," Emma replied.

Henry put the book on the desk and flipped through it. "I know who they are. They're brother and sister, lost, no parents -- Hansel and Gretel."

"Anything in there about their dad?"

"Just that he abandoned them."

"Great. Sounds like a familiar story. Whoever this guy is, he could be in Laos by now."

"No, he's here."

"Just how do you know that?" Derek questioned as he walked up.

"'Cause no one leaves Storybrooke. No one comes here, no one goes. It's just the way it is."

"I came here," Emma reminded her son.

"Because you're special. You're the first stranger here -- ever."

"Right -- I forgot. Well, if he's around here anywhere, I'm going to find him."

"Can you tell me about him?"

"I don't know anything yet."

"Not their father -- mine. I told you about your parents and now, you're actually living with your mother."

"Mary Margaret isn't... She's... Never mind."

"Please?"

Emma sighed. "I was pretty young. I'd just gotten out of the foster system and the only job I could get was at this 24-hour diner just off the interstate. And, um... Your dad was training to be a fireman. He always got the worst shifts, so he'd come in and order coffee and pie and sit at the counter and always complain that we didn't sell pumpkin pie. But he always came back the next night anyway."

"Did you get married?"

"Oh, no. Nothing like that. We just... We hung out a few times outside of work and... Life happened. His got better and mine got worse and... I got into some trouble."

"And you went to jail," Henry and Odette finished.

"Yeah. Before I went, I... I found out I was pregnant with you. And I tried to contact him, and I found out that he died saving a family from a burning apartment building. So, you think I'm a savior, Henry -- he was. Your father was a real hero."

Henry looked at Emma and asked, "Do you have anything of his? Something you can remember him by. Something I could see."

"I... I don't. Henry, I'm sorry. I got to go. I may know how to find this guy."

Odette glanced at Emma, getting the strangest feeling that she was lying. She caught Derek's eye and he gave a small nod almost to say he thought the same.

---

Ava and Nicholas were eating cookies at Mary Margaret's.

Emma came downstairs with a box. "I want to show you guys something." She pulled a baby blanket from the box.

"What's that?" Nicholas asked.

"It's my baby blanket. It's something I've held onto my whole life. That's the only thing that I have from... From my parents. I've spent a lot of time with a lot of kids in your situation, and all of them -- all of us -- we held onto stuff. I want to find your father, but I need your help. Is there anything of his you've held onto?"

"I might have something," Ava replied. "But if I give it to you, you'll make sure we stay together, right?"

"Right."

Ava pulled a compass on a chain from her pocket and handed it to Emma.

"A compass?" Emma questioned.

Ava nodded. "Our mom kept it. She said it was our dad's."

"Thank you."

"Did you find them?"

"Who?"

"Your parents."

"Not yet. But I'm going to find yours."

ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

Hansel and Gretel were outside the gingerbread house. Hansel went to eat icing off the side of the house, but Gretel stopped him. Gretel opened one of the windows, and the two entered. Inside, there was a table full of sweets. The two whispered to each other.

"How can you be sure she's sleeping?" Hansel asked.

"I can't," Gretel replied. "And remember what the Queen said – not even a lick." They saw the Blind Witch asleep by the fireplace, along with the leather satchel hanging on the wall.

"You're right. Look."

"And there's the satchel."

"What do you think's inside it?"

"Does it matter? All that matters, is getting it to the Queen so she can find Father." Gretel went to grab the bag. Hansel, who stayed behind by the table of sweets, picked up a cupcake. Gretel removed the bag from its hook, but when she turned around, she saw Hansel take a bite of the cupcake. The Blind Witch awoke. There was a pile of bones at her feet. Hansel and Gretel ran for the exit, but the Blind Witch magically locked the door. They tried the window, but they were locked as well.

"I smell dinner," the Blind Witch said.

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT

Emma made her way to Mr. Gold's pawn shop and entered.

Mr. Gold was at the counter polishing a lamp. "Emma. How lovely to see you. I'm flattered you'd take time off your busy schedule for me. What could I do for you, Sheriff?"

"I'm looking for information on this old compass," Emma told him. "Any idea where it could have come from?"

Mr. Gold studied the watch. "Well, well. Look at the detail. You know, this is crystal. This jeweled setting... In despite the rather unfortunate shape it's in, this is actually a very unusual piece. The person who owned this obviously had great taste."

"And where would someone like to buy it?"

"Right here, of course."

"You know him?"

"Indeed. A piece like this is difficult to forget."

"Do you happen to remember who bought it?"

"Well, I'm good with names, Miss Swan, but maybe not that good. However, as luck would have it, I do keep quite extensive records." He walked towards a small filing cabinet on the counter and looked through it. "And... Yes, here we are."

He pulled out an index card and kept the name to himself.

"What's your price?" Emma asked.

"Forgiveness," Mr. Gold replied.

"How about tolerance?"

"Well, that's a start. The compass was purchased by a Mr. Michael Tillman."

"Anything else?"

"Just a name. But I generally find that's all that one needs."

Emma went to leave the shop and Mr. Gold called out, "Good luck with your investigation."

Emma left and Mr. Gold glanced at the index card, which was blank.

---

Emma made her way to the garage, joined by Derek, and found Michael. He was a mechanic.

She handed him the files and he read them, looking at their pictures before saying, "Not possible."

"Actually, it is," Derek and Emma answered.

"Well, I'm sorry, but Dory -- she wasn't my, um... It was just once."

"Sometimes, that's all it takes," Emma stated.

"I met her when I was camping and we, um... No, it's not possible. I don't have twins."

"Yes, you do. You have twins that have been homeless ever since their mother passed away. You have twins who have been living in an abandoned house because they don't want to be separated from each other. You have twins who are about to be shipped off to Boston, unless you step up and take responsibility for them."

"Look -- I can barely manage this garage. I can't manage two kids. And why are you so sure they're mine?"

"Besides the timing..." Emma pulled out the compass. "Have you seen this?"

Michael looked at it. "I lost this."

"Let me guess -- 12 years and nine months ago? I know it's a lot -- believe me, I know. A month ago, a kid showed up on my doorstep -- I gave him up for adoption -- asking for help with... something. And I ended up moving here for him."

"I heard about that -- it's the Mayor's son. But staying in town is... It's a lot different than taking him in."

"I don't have my kid because I don't have a choice. You do. These kids did not ask to be brought into this world. You brought them into this world -- you and their mother. And they need you. And if you choose not to take them, you are going to have to answer for that every day of your life. And sooner or later, when they find you -- because believe me, they will find you -- you're going to have to answer to them."

"I'm really sorry. I am. I don't know anything about being a dad. If it's a good home you're looking for, it's not with me."

Derek sighed and glanced at Emma. "How will we tell those kids?"

"We'll figure out a way," Emma replied.

---

Henry, Odette, Ava and Nicholas were baking at Mary Margaret's. The phone rang and Mary Margaret answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's me," Emma said. "I need you to come outside right away."

"Is everything okay?"

"Don't say anything in front of the kids, but no, it's not."

Mary Margaret joined Emma outside as Derek entered the apartment.

"He doesn't want the kids," Emma told her friend.

"And you don't want to tell them," Mary Margaret said.

"I can't. Because all I'll be telling them is that the false hope I gave them is exactly that."

"The truth can be painful, Emma, but it can also be cathartic."

"I agree with the painful part."

"Well, hey, look -- you told Henry the truth that his father's dead and he's handling it great."

"I didn't tell him the truth."

"What?"

"Henry's father was no hero and trust me -- he does not need to know the real story. Maybe we can hide the kids. Just until we can find a family for them. Someone to take care of them."

"Yes, hiding the 12-year-olds is a good plan."

"You have a better idea?"

"Emma, maybe there isn't an idea. Maybe you just have to-"

Regina approached the two women on the sidewalk. "Sheriff. Shouldn't you be on the interstate?"

"What are you doing here?" Emma asked.

"Seeing to it that you do your job."

"You know, you don't have to check up on me. I know what I have to do."

"Really? Because those kids are supposed to be in Boston tonight."

ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

The Blind Witch locked Hansel and Gretel in a cage. She stuck her arms through the bars and felt around for them. "Where are you?" The Blind Witch grabbed Hansel's arm. "Oh, yes. Nice and tender. A succulent roast, you'll make." The Blind Witch walked away from the cage and walked over to the oven. She opened the oven's door and stuck her hand inside to test the temperature. In the cage, Hansel and Gretel whispered to each other.

"Gretel, she's going to cook me!" Hansel said. "We've got to do something – quick!"

"Stay calm," Gretel told him. "When she opens the cage to get you, don't try to fight. And while she's carrying you to the oven, grab the key that's in her pocket and toss it to me through the bars."

"She's coming. She's coming – I can't do it! I'm going to die!"

The Blind Witch approached the cage. "Gravy or butter? Which shall it be?" The Blind Witch stuck her hand through the bar and felt Gretel's face. Gretel kicked Hansel and he yelled out in pain, causing the Blind Witch to think Gretel was Hansel. The Blind Witch unlocked the cage door and pulled Gretel out. "Come with me, little boy." Gretel stole the key to the cage from the Blind Witch's pocket and throws it to Hansel. Hansel unlocked the cage and freed himself. He ran up a short set of stairs and grabbed a pole for a weapon. He ended up tripping on the stairs, which alerted the Blind Witch. "Gravy or butter? Gravy or butter? How shall I baste you?" Hansel raised the pole, but the Blind Witch magically whisked it away. She approached Hansel. "Butter it is. Time to cook." The Blind Witch grabbed Hansel and dragged him towards the oven. However, Gretel managed to undo the rope on her wrists and pushed the Blind Witch onto the cooking tray. Hansel and Gretel slid the Blind Witch into the oven and shut the door.

"Quick, Gretel!" Hansel yelled. "Lock her in!" He grabbed the leather satchel from its hook and the two ran towards the exit.

"Let me out!" the Blind Witch cried. Hansel and Gretel escaped the gingerbread house. The Blind Witch continued to yell at them. "Let me out! You come back right now! Let me out! Let me out!"

The Evil Queen saw the Blind Witch in the oven through her magic mirror. She casted a fireball through the mirror, burning the Blind Witch. "I would've gone gravy."

---

A guard escorted Hansel and Gretel to the Evil Queen at her castle.

"My dear children," the Evil Queen greeted. "Were you successful in your task?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," Gretel replied. "Though, we were almost made into dinner."

"Oh. How barbaric." The Evil Queen summoned the guard away. "Now, if I could have my satchel." Gretel handed her the bag. "I've waited a very long time for this. Let's hope you didn't let me down."The Evil Queen opened the bag and pulls out an apple. "You did it."

"Yeah, we did."

"You've got a strong heart, girl. You remind me of myself at your age."

"We did all that for an apple?" Hansel asked.

"Oh, trust me, dear boy. This is not just an apple. It's a weapon. A weapon for a very particular and devious enemy. One who's still under the illusion that she's safe." The Evil Queen walked over to the vanity, where she put the apple in a box.

"Whatever your plan is, we did what you asked," Gretel said. "Now you have to keep your promise and find our father."

"Of course. To reunite your family, so you can live happily ever after. You were left alone in the woods. You deserve better than a father who would abandon you."

"But he's all we have."

"Perhaps, he doesn't have to be."

"What do you mean?"

"You and your brother have impressed me. You aren't the first boy or girl that I've sent into that... sticky sweet house. But, you are the first to emerge. And as a reward, I've decided to invite the two of you to live with me. Here."

"You mean that we get to live in a castle?" Hansel questioned.

"Yes. You would have your own rooms, of course. Personal carriages – valets, too. All of your dreams could come true."

"No," Gretel argued. "We want our father back. He would never abandon us. And even if he did, we would never want to live with someone as terrible as you."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. We're going to find him, with or without your help. And when we do, we're going to prove you wrong."

"We'll see about that." The Evil Queen casted a spell, which created a purple tornado around Hansel and Gretel.

"Gretel? What's happening?" Hansel wondered.

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT

Emma gathered the kids and the three stood next to Emma's squad car while Regina, Henry, Derek and Odette watched from a distance. Emma opened the door and gestured for the kids to get in.

"Come on," Emma said. "It's going to be... Here." She gave Ava back her compass. "I'm sorry, but we got to go."

Ava and Nicholas got in the car.

"Let's go, Henry," Regina told her son.

Regina put her hand on Henry's shoulder, but he shrugged her off and ran to Emma's window.

"No, you can't take them!" Henry cried. "They can't leave Storybrooke, Emma! They can't. Something bad will happen."

Emma looked at her son. "Something bad has already happened."

She drove off with the kids.

As they drove along the road leaving Storybrooke, the car slowed and the engine began malfunctioning.

Emma pulled off on the side of the road and muttered, "You've got to be kidding me."

"What happened?" Ava asked. "What's wrong?"

"Engine's stalled." She pulled out her phone.

"Who are you calling?"

"Help."

ENCHANTED FOREST - PAST

The Evil Queen watched Snow White through her magic mirror. She appeared to be in the forest with several dwarves. "Now she's cavorting with dwarves? When did that happen?"

A guard enters the room and called, "Your Majesty. The prisoner you requested is here."

"Bring him in." Two other guards dragged in Hansel and Gretel's father. He was shackled.

"I demand to be released," the father said. "My children are in that forest that you took me from – alone. They could be in great danger."

"Yes, I know all about your children. That compass you gave sweet, little Gretel... Well, I'm afraid it didn't help her find you now, though, did it?"

"What have you done with them? You tell me where they are!"

"Gone. I told them you abandoned them, leaving nothing but a compass to find their way. But I didn't bring you here to answer your questions. You're here to answer mine. I offered your children everything – whatever their hearts desired – and they still chose uncertainty because of their blind faith in you. Tell me why. Hm? Why did your children refuse me?"

"Because we're a family. And family always finds one another."

"Release him."

"You're letting me go?"

"You can all be together, as a family, as soon as you all find one another."

---

Hansel and Gretel were laying next to each other, unconscious, in the woods.

Gretel woke up first and shook Hansel awake. "Hansel, wake up! Hansel!" The two stood and looked around. "She let us go."

"I'm scared," Hansel said.

"Don't be. Everything will be fine." Gretel took Hansel's hand and the two started walking. They were in the middle of nowhere in a huge forest.

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT

Emma stepped out of the car to wait for help. Ava and Nicholas remained in the back seat.

"Nicholas, look!" Ava cried.

The compass moved and seemed to be working again. A tow truck pulled over to assist them. The driver, who was Michael, got out of the truck. He saw Ava and Nicholas who were looking out the back window of the car.

"Those are them," Michael said.

"Those are them," Emma confirmed.

"And your car -- it's fine?"

"I just wanted you to see 'em. Just once. I didn't think I could do it, either. I gave up Henry because I wanted to give him his best shot. When I saw that he didn't have it, I couldn't leave. I was just as scared -- more, probably. But once I saw him, got to know him, I couldn't go back."

"You're taking them? To Boston."

"I don't have to."

"No, you don't."

Michael walked to the side of the car and the twins rolled down the window.

---

Emma made her way back to Mary Margaret's to see her folding clothes.

"Hey," Mary Margaret greeted. "What happened?"

"Their dad -- he showed up," Emma replied. "Changed his mind."

"Changed his mind? Just like that?"

"He might have had a little nudge."

"They found their father. That's great."

"I wonder what that would be like?"

"Maybe you'll find out. You can't give up."

"I don't know. I kind of think giving up might be the best plan. I think I need to let go."

"No, you don't."

"Really? If they wanted to know me, they wouldn't make it so hard to look."

"Maybe. But maybe there's other reasons. Maybe there is an explanation."

"If there is, it's something crazy. Something even crazier than Henry's theory."

"Yeah? What's Henry's theory?"

"Well, that my parents put me in a magical wardrobe and sent me to this world to save them."

"Aw. And who does he think they are?"

"Well, for one, you."

"Me?"

"Well, Snow White."

"Snow White has a kid?"

"Apparently that book you gave him? Not exactly the stories in the most traditional sense."

"I have a kid. You'd think I'd remember that."

"Yeah, you'd think."

Mary Margaret studied Emma. "You do kind of have my chin."

"I think I need to go get some air." Emma got up and Mary Margaret followed her. "I'm going to go think."

"If you're going to be back later, I can wait to eat with you?"

"No, don't do that."

"I'll leave you leftovers."

Emma headed for the door and Mary Margaret noticed Emma's baby blanket in a box. "What a pretty blanket."

"Thanks. Goodnight." She left.

Mary Margaret picked up the baby blanket and smelled it. She paused, then put it down.

---

Henry, who was holding a box, Derek and Odette walked up to Emma's car and saw her sitting inside.

"Uh, what's that?" Henry asked.

"Just an old file," Emma replied. "What's up?"

"Pumpkin pie. I... I thought you'd like some. It was pumpkin, right?"

"Right." She got out of the car to join them. "Henry, about your father..."

"Yeah?"

"I'm glad I told you."

"Me too."

Derek pursed his lips and mumbled, "Don't lie to him."

Odette subconsciously took his hand and he glanced down, offering a small smile which she returned.

Emma smiled. "Give me that." She took the box from Henry.

Henry looked up at Emma. "What you did -- with Ava and Nicholas -- you really are changing things."

An engine caught their attention. A man on a motorcycle turned the corner and parked across from them. There was a large wooden box on the back of his motorcycle. He took off his helmet and came up to them.

"Hi," the man greeted.

"Hey," Emma answered.

"Is this Storybrooke?"

"Yeah."

"Any place to get a room around here?"

"Uh, you're staying?" Henry asked.

"That's the plan. Just looking for a bed."

"Granny's Bed and Breakfast is just up the road -- another two blocks," Emma informed.

"Thank you." He turned around and walked back to his motorcycle.

Emma called out after him. "Hey, I didn't catch your name."

"Well, that's because I didn't give it," the man replied.

He drove off, leaving Odette, Derek, Henry and Emma alone.

Emma glanced at Henry. "I thought you said strangers don't come to Storybrooke?"

"They don't," Henry, Odette and Derek answered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.5K 1.7K 26
Being the daughter of the dark one was always going to be a struggle. But this? This is just pure madness. It's even harder when you don't remember y...
2.2K 177 26
***Fifth book in the Dream series*** ****Part 2 to Villain or Hero?**** Mr. Gold has been banished from Storybrooke by his precious wife, Belle. The...
34.5K 639 46
Hi my name is Claire. I have lived in this town in Maine for as long as I can remember but, recently everyone seems to think I'm crazy. They think th...
18.9K 469 47
Henrietta Wilma "Indiana" (Indy) Jones craves adventure and seeks it out as often as she can. But one adventure takes her far beyond her wildest ima...