Hawthorne

Galing kay melvauthor

Camila has lived and worked all her life in Hawthorne Manorhouse. It's all she's ever known along with the ki... Higit pa

HAWTHORNE - Introduction
Prologue - Break-Down
1 - Last Goodbye
2 - Duties
3 - Heir
4 - Moving in
5 - Late nights
6 - Family dinner
7 - Eat
8 - Letter
9 - Succumb
10 - Deal
11- Realization
12 - First time
13 - Brotherly
14 - On your knees
15 - Bend over
17 - We're better off
18 - Calm to my storm
19 - Friends and Allies
20 - Feels too right
21 - Picnic
22 - Not bogeyman
23 -Invitation
24 -Official Duties
25 - College Reunion
26 - Crazy
27 - Cherishing
28- Hawthorne's Tribute Lunch
29 - Unexpected Guests
30 - London
31 - Early Christmas Gift
32 - New Year's Ball
33 - I'll find a way
34 - The truth
35 - I love you
36 - No way out
37 - Beginning of the end
38 - Shattered
39 - Lawyer up
40 - Recognition
41 - Free but at what cost?
42 - Chance
43 - Coronation
44 - Loyalty
45 - One last dance
46 - No
47 - Everything but that
48 - No charity case
49 - By the end of the Night
Epilogue

16 - Royal Baby

3.1K 103 20
Galing kay melvauthor

"Good morning, Your Grace," I greet the Duke's mom as soon as I open the door for her.

She's - as always - in her perfect posh outfits with one of those ridiculously expensive little hats that nobility thinks is fashionable but they're hideous and pointless.

"Where is my son?" he asks, pushing past me into the Manor.

"The Duke has been warned of your presence, Your Grace." I start and she glares at me for not telling her where he is right away. "He asked for you to wait in the Visit room while he finished getting ready to come down."

"Is he in the office?" She dismisses my words. "I'll meet him there."

Once again, her shoulder bumps mine with a little more force than was needed to push past me and head to the staircase. She's trying to prove a point - that she is the one above me - but it's pointless because I know my place and I am just following orders.

"Your Grace, the Duke was very clear about-"

"I don't care what you say my son said," she glares at me. "You will not order me around."

With that, she turns her back to me and starts climbing up the stairs.

"I was expecting you in the visiting room." Vincent's voice sounds when she reaches the third step, halting her movements.

The Duke is standing at the top of the staircase, dressed in a classic button-up and dark grey slacks. At first look, he seems relaxed, with his hands inside the front pockets. But as my eyes wander around his figure, I can see the authoritative stance in him: legs slightly apart and a serious expression with a quirked eyebrow.

I can't help but press my thighs together at the sight of him. Memories of the things we've done together, of what he's done to me flood my mind. My heart pumps faster, heating my body.

Especially my cheeks.

"And I was going to meet you in your office," she defies him, cutting - just slightly - my dirty thoughts.

"Well, I was clear about my intention of spending time with you in the Visiting Room and since it's my house..." he trails off, coming down the stairs and extending his arm out to her. "Let's go, dear mom."

She huffs but still intertwines her arms around his when he reaches her at the bottom of the stairs and lets him guide her to the room where she was supposed to be waiting for him from the start.

"Camilla," the Duke calls, turning his head back to me.

He pauses slightly, eyeing me up and down with a knowing smirk on his face and making me gulp in response. It affects me, and he knows it, of course.

"Bring us the tea and biscuits please," he asks politely with a tiny hint of that husky and seductive tone he used on me last night.

His mom doesn't even turn around to spare me a second and that's reason enough for Vincent to wink at me before disappearing with her into the room, leaving me all hot and bothered in the main hall.

The moment I step into the visiting room with a tray filled with biscuits, scones, cream cheese, jam and a few dried fruits to accompany their Earl Grey tea, their conversation stops.

"Thank you, Camilla," Vincent says, keeping his heated gaze on mine.

I look away, as I place the tray and start to assemble the couple plates with the biscuits and scones and the tiny bows with the jams. Without even waiting for me to finish, The Duke takes his cup but not without earning a scoff from his mom.

"Would you please let her do her job? Isn't that what she's here for?"

Fortunately, he ignores her, taking her cup and placing it in front of her. I rush to grab the teapot before he does and serve them both. Once everything's set I grab the tray back and bow to both of them.

"I'll be close by if you need me." And then I scurry off the room.

As soon as the door shuts, the Duchess' voice sounds again.

"Why don't we celebrate back at home?" His mom asks in a whiny tone.

"Because I am the Duke and I live here. I'd prefer if we'd celebrate here."

"Fine," she concedes. "But on one condition."

"What now, mom?"

"I am in charge of organizing it."

Dear Lord. She'll make my life a living hell, that's for sure.

It's not enough that it'll be my first Christmas all alone, I'll have to be working under her orders.

"Oh, I'll invite Elleanor, she'll be delighted to see you again."

Eleanour?

"No mom. We broke up years ago and for a good reason. Let's just leave it at that."

"No can do my sweet boy." She tuts. "I also came here for another reason... Word has come to me that the King's wife is three months pregnant."

"That's amazing," he bloats.

I can hear the happiness in his voice from here. But why? That means he won't be king... Why would he be happy?

"No, it isn't. It means you'll probably just stay as Duke," she whines before starting on a full-on ramble. "And that's more of a reason for us to establish our influence in the Court. Our party has to be perfect and the biggest so far. Also, seeing you with Eleanour again will give everyone the idea that you're settling down and probably get married soon and secure your legacy as well - with offsprings!"

My hand flies out to my mouth, to try and contain any involuntary sound that might come out.

Her words race through my brain, registering the information.

Getting him married, and having an heir. That's what his mother wants to secure for him: a legacy that won't be deleted with the King's family.

It makes sense if it were about the family itself and not about power.

But it doesn't mean that it doesn't pierce right through my heart.

The last couple of days has made me forget the reality of Vicent's and mine situation.

It's only lust and desire. A fleeting situation.Not for the long haul - at all.

So why does it bother me that much just thinking about that? No matter how true it is and how seeped it is into my brain, it always bothers me. It always deflates me.

It's a fact - an important one that will define everything in the end -, that tends to disappear from my mind whenever he's around me.

"Mom, please. If I am not to be King, let me do things my way. You and dad prepared me for this ever since I learned how to walk, do have a little bit of faith in me."

"Yes, alright alright, my dear."

"Camilla?" Mariah's voice catches my attention. "What are you doing?" She quirks an eyebrow at my body plastered against the wall, right next to the Visiting Room's door.

"I was resting for a couple of minutes," I lie. "I slept last night, I am facing the aftermath of a restless night." That is slightly more truthful.

"Want me to take over you for a couple of hours, while you nap?" she asks, concerned.

This girl is too good and too innocent.

"No, the Duchess is here," I admit. "Maybe after she leaves. Thank you so much."

"Oh yeah, that woman terrifies me," she whispers as we head to the kitchen.

I chuckle but don't answer her. One thing that Mrs Elizabeth taught me from the start is that people can be cruel and you never really know them completely. And working for people like her means that I should watch my mouth at all times and share my opinion with my boss only when he requires it.

So, one thing is certain. I can dislike the Duke's mom as much as I want but I won't be sharing that with anyone, especially other workers from the Manor.

The kitchen is buzzing with the staff that is preparing supper for tonight, according to the menu that the Duke agreed for this week. I supervise everything and check in with the Duke and his mom twice more to see if they need anything but they dismiss me both times.

I notice Vincent's lingering gaze on me but try to ignore it every time, afraid that the Duchess notices anything. Luckily she's pretty much out of the loop because she focuses on me every single time. Like it's her mission to share her distaste for being in my presence.

After two torturous hours, she finally leaves and the Duke retreats to his office and I use the remaining of my free time before dinner time to take Primrose for a walk through the orchard. Since there are still people all around, instead of staying close to the kitchen and hindering the work.

So, I venture a little bit into the rest of the gardens of the property and let Primrose run around and sniff everything in her sight for the second time today.

"Hi," a male voice sounds from my side and I turn.

Karl, our stableman, is standing with his working clothes, dirty after a day of labour. His skin is glistening from the sweat and he's sporting a small smile on his face. With his shirt's sleeves hunched up to his elbows, he's showing off his veiny and muscled arms. With short blonde hair and blue eyes, he's really easy on the eye.

Just a couple of years older, he's in a situation similar to mine. Even though he didn't live on the property as I did, he came to help out his dad a lot with the horses growing up. So, when old Quinton had to retire due to his dementia, Mrs Elizabeth gave him the job to be able to help out his mom with the bills.

Having grown up around these very same horses, made the transition smooth for the animals. They love him and he does an amazing job, Quinton was the best and it's noticeable how he passed down his knowledge to him.

"Hi, Karl." I greet him before turning my attention back to Primrose who seems to be barking at something in a bush. "What's going on girl?" I ask as I crouch next to her.

Behind me I hear a shape intake of breath and turn around, to see a blushing Karl. When he sees me looking directly at him, he starts rubbing the back of his neck and stutters, "I-it's probably a bird or a rabbit."

"Oh, I see."

"So, how's working with the new boss?"

Primrose goes back to running around again and I stand up again and shrug one shoulder, "It's almost the same as before. Why do you ask?"

"Ahm, I was just curious. He seems.. harsh?" he winces when he says the last word.

"I mean, he can be very assertive and authoritative if things don't go his way but in reality, he is pretty chilled about everything. As you must have realized he hasn't changed much around here."

"Right. And how are you?" he asks.

"Me?" I ask, feeling my cheeks heating a little bit. "I am fine, thank you. And you?"

"Ummm, yes, I-, umm... Would you... I-" He stumbles upon his words and blushes fervently.

I gulp, not knowing what to do. Karl has always maintained his distance and I thought it was because he was the broody and lonely type but right now he just seems... shy.

"Yes?"

"Nevermind," he sighs and turns around, leaving me dumbfounded in the middle of the garden.

After a couple of moments of being frozen in place and thinking about what could I possibly have done wrong, Primrose shows up by my feet, wagging her tail and whining.

I guess she's done with being outside, so I scoop her up onto my arms and decide to head back. but before I can continue something catches my attention.

To my left side, on the noble floor of the Manor, Vincent's frame takes shape in one of the windows. It's close enough that I can notice the grim expression on his face from here.

On the inside, my body bubbles in as much excitement as it trembles in anxiety. If he was upset by an innocent talk with his brother, I can only imagine what he'll think of me being around another worker—one that is around my age.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

900K 49.2K 49
18+ To Manhattan's millionaire, David Argent, bounding himself for eternity and sharing the solemn vows of I do with Dawn Montgomery, the woman he lo...
123K 5.2K 18
She is the Princess, and he's her guard. A lust that's forbidden. - Princess Celeste Lawerence is a snotty, rebellious, and vain temptress. At least...
1.1M 38.7K 71
Completed Book. **MORE THAN ONE ENDING!!** MAJOR MATURE WARNING! This story contains mature themes and strong language throughout. "He is my addict...
1.2M 41.3K 52
Ranked #1 in adventureedition Ranked #27 in justwriteit *** His hands moved up my thighs seductively. "You're mine......" his voice was nothing but...