Not Giving Into Fate

By a-girl-who-wishes

I was the daughter of Duke Solon, I thought I was the last child. My elder brother is following in my father'... More

1. Necklace of Rope and Needles
2. Morning Plans
4- Missing Mage
5- An Unlikely Friend
6- A Lady in the Park
7- Family acting like a family
8- Meeting with the Masters
9- Book Club Initiation
10- The Trash Man Makes a Visit
11- The Memory Orb
12- Long Meetings
13- Dinner and Trial Plans
14. Day of the trial, part 1
15- Day of the Trial, part 2
16- Execution
17- Family Dinners
18- The Morning After
19- The Hunting Tournament
20-Hunting Tournament 2
21- The Grand Sorcerer
22- Rides with the Grand Sorcerer
23- A Surprising Sibling Brunch
24- The Substitute
25- The Opening of Doors
26- Tour of the Tower
27- The break- in
28- Night at the Opera
29- The First Day of Classes
30- Breaking His Curse
31- The Pope and his teas
32- The Bulnan Chief
33- My Coming of Age
34- The Bastard's Reveal

3- Awkward Talks

1.3K 42 2
By a-girl-who-wishes

I sit in my seat, patiently waiting for my brother who is already late. I drink my coffee, tea not liked by either one of us. I read my book, a book that holds information about dreams. I don't know if he will come, but I can always read here until he shows... if  he shows. Anna is on wait a few steps away, waiting for my command.

I hear footsteps on the cobblestone, heavy footsteps that aren't the same of my maids. I pretend not to hear him, pretending as if my book is very interesting. I feel his presence beside me and I close the book.

"Brother, it's nice to see you. Please sit." I gesture to the open seat across from me, still not looking at him. "Anna, please serve us quickly and leave."

I finally make eye contact with Elric as he sits across from me. He stares at me, sword resting on the left side of his chair, ready to be used at a moments notice. I look at him.

It's been a while since we've civilly sat in front of each other. I can see just how much he changed by the time of my death. He didn't have the nasty scar on his face that made him unable to see out of his left eye yet. Instead, I was looking at two green eyes, the same shade of mine. His hair is the same color as mine, a stark white that hangs over his eyes.

I look into his eyes, remembering that he tried to save me. Two siblings only related by blood but not bonded through love. He didn't have to try and stop my death, fighting the guard and running across the coliseum. There was no need, yet there had to have been a familial bond in him. I have to strengthen that bond so that I can live.

"Sister," He says once the food has been laid out and my maid has scurried away. "Why have you called for me?"

"Please eat," I say as I pick up my fork to eat my salad. I don't eat desserts in the morning, the sweetness too much for the early sun.

"Sister." He says. I look up at him. He won't eat the food and he will leave if I don't say why I called him here.

"I promise it isn't poisoned." I take a bite out of my food to show him. "I called you because there's something that I can help you with, but for a price."

"I don't need your help." He spits out. I'm not offended. He really doesn't, but it wouldn't hurt him.

"That may be true in the past, but you need my help in settling the debate with Duke Stiling." I say. "At least drink some coffee, I know you prefer that over tea."

He begrudgingly serves himself coffee, I watch as he disgustingly takes it black. "What do you know of Duke Stiling?"

"Brother, my favorite sibling-"

"I'm your only sibling." He cuts me off and sips his coffee. I force a smile. Yes, for now we only have each other.

"There are three armies. Captain Solon of the Temple Knights, the man who will inherit the great duchy- you-" I say as I mix my sugar in my coffee. "You have the great Temple Knights. Grand Duke Driscol controls the Northern Knights where the great wall lies. Duke Stiling has the Imperial Army."

"Sister, I know how it works, I'm the Captain."

"Right," I clear my throat. "Back to the matter at hand, I know of your recent feud with Duke Stiling and I know that he is involved with dangerous individuals." I say and look at him.

He looks up at me, doubt flashing across his face. I know from the past, he has known that Duke Stiling is involved in shady business, but he never had proof of it until a month before my death. It made him very angry the months leading up to it.

"What do you know?" He asks, leaning forward. I smirk and take a sip of my coffee.

"Do you really think I'll give out sensitive information to just anyone, even to my own brother?" I ask and look at him through my eyelashes.

"What do you want?" He asks. "Clearly you want something from me, but it all depends on what you give me."

"Brother, I believe that Duke Stiling is providing weapons to the soldiers of Elfena, our biggest enemy that aren't monsters." I say. I watch his expression, or lack of. He only narrows his eyes, probably not believing me.

"How do you know that?" He asks me and I shrug.

"Well, you know that I do research on ancient texts. Most of the books come from Elfena, I have special privilege to work with the scholars there. Do you remember the last time I went there?" I ask him.

"It was recent, but that's all I know."

"Yes, it happened recently. When I was there, walking the halls of the imperial palace of our enemy, I noticed something very suspicious about their armor. It looked familiar, well... the metal looked familiar. As you know, they are a nautical country, they don't really have resources to make good armor. But for some reason, their weapons and armor glittered like ours, glitter like the Imperial army." I say. "I think that the Duke is sending them weapons."

"That's a bold accusation. How can you be so sure?" He asks me.

"I'm not completely sure to be honest, I don't have the resources to look into the matter... but you do." I remind him. "All I know is that for some reason, that army has surprisingly become the most quiet, not engaged in battle anymore, but somehow living in a peaceful state with the Elfenas. Could be because they have an agreement. They give them weapons so they don't fight. Then again, that isn't the only thing that does't make sense. The Stilings have somehow gotten richer, even though they are spending a lot of money mining for materials, mining for materials that seem too much for just one army. Where is the money coming from? Where are the extra materials going to?"

"Why tell me your suspicions? Why now? Why do you even care to tell me?" He asks me.

"I have been told of a prophetic dream the other day. It is not yet clear of what will occur, but I know one thing. I will need help from you. So, whenever the time comes, you will help me." I say calmly. He narrows his eyes, for the first time I can see the thoughts in his head.

"Prophetic dream?" He asks me.

I hide my smirk by sipping my coffee. I've got his attention. Elric is incredibly superstitious and for that, he is devoted to the church.

When we were younger, we were sent to our aunt's for a few weeks. On the journey there, we faced an indescribable sensation that killed all our guards and surrounding plant life except for us. We don't remember what happened, we were knocked unconscious and woke up in different clothes in a field miles away. We both reacted to the experience very differently.

Elric believed it was a sign of the gods, he killed the unbelievers. Since our family is rooted with the Church and have control over the Temple Knights, it makes sense for him to be very religious. However, I never believed in something I couldn't see. I instead looked into science and started working with the Magic Tower.

We are completely different and our interests further divide us. Mages scorn the priests for not understanding the true nature of the world and using magic wrong. Priests scorn mages for not believing the great gods. Elric is a devout believer. I believe in science and tangible facts.

This is another division between us, but I can use it to my advantage. I've often tricked him with superstitions and 'magic'. I can trick him now, trick him into helping me.

"Yes." I set my cup down. "A fox has come into the wolf's den, convincing the Alpha to take it in. The Alpha is blind to the fox's wicked ways and allows it to join its pack consisted of the Alpha and its two pups. One night, the fox killed the smaller wolves and then the Alpha." I tell him a fake prophetic dream, but he doesn't need to know that.

"Wolves and foxes?" He asks me. He's questioning it all because our family are considered the wolves of the Empire, dedicated warriors. The symbolism is apparent.

"It's a metaphor which is a literary-." I tell him, looking at him over my cup as I bring it to my lips.

"I know what a metaphor is." He scowls and shifts in his seat before sipping his coffee. "But, what could bring our downfall? We're the Solons."

I understand what he means. Besides the royal family, there are three untouchable families of this empire. We are equal to the other two duchies and they can't hurt us. People fear us for the right reason. It'll be suicide to go after us.

"It was a prophetic dream, a warning that I was given." I say as I lower my teacup.

"By who?"

"Grand Sorcerer Milo Lavigne." I lie easily again. He frown and looks at the table.

"Of the Magic Tower?" He asks. While he doesn't like mages, he is still knowledgeable about the important figures and who to keep an eye on. My good friend Milo is the highest ranking mage.

"The most powerful of all mages in the land, yes." I nod. He resumes a poker face, sipping his coffee and I eat a tart. We stay in silence for a long time.

"It will happen and I will need your help in killing this fox." I break the silence. "I help you by giving you information on a treacherous man, you help me when the time comes."

Elric scoffs. "How do I know you can deal with it? You're a woman, you don't face threats all that often. I've been on the battlefield, I can save this family."

I frown, not liking how this conversation has turned into a competition. He somehow always turns it into that, still trying to win favor with father. Besides the gaining favor, he belittles me for being a woman. While we aren't expected to do great things, I've made a name for myself and I deserve to be recognized for it. But, now is not the time to fight. I take a deep breath.

"The dream mentioned a den, a home- our home. You don't handle domestic affairs, I do. I don't want to compete, we're too old for petty rivalry. I want us to work together. If the threat turns out to be under your expertise, I will help. But if it is domestic, please help me." I reach forward and take his hand, hoping he can see I'm being truthful.

He looks down at my hand covering his, probably contemplating my words. "Brother, I am sincere. We live a good life, let's maintain it."

"I'll only help you should your information be correct." He stands up, quickly shaking off my hand. I don't call him out that it is rude to take a tart before leaving.

"Brother," I call out to him and he pauses. "I would like to eat with you more often. This Friday, let's have dinner."

"I'm busy." He lies. I know he never goes out to parties and doesn't attend social events. He's a hermit like me, but somehow likable.

"Send me an invitation when you are free. I will make time for you. I enjoyed our talk." I flash him a small smile, but it's a big step for me.

He looks at me and doesn't say if he will invite me to eat. He grabs a handful of berries and leaves. He doesn't say goodbye and I don't call for him. We aren't close enough for pleasantries like that... yet.

I call for Anna, telling her to change the date of the dress sizing, not feeling like leaving today. She nods and takes out a letter.

I take it and frown when I see it's sealed with the royal mark. Ivan. I open it and read the contents. He has invited me to the riding tournament as his partner. I inspect it some more, seeing it's not even his handwriting. I scoff at the slight jab. He can't even write to me personally.

"Good news, your grace?" Anna asks, snapping me out of my daze.

"He has invited me to the riding tournament, but he didn't write it. Wouldn't a fiancé personally write it? Does he think so little of me?" I ask her, looking at her with a sad frown to invoke pity.

She touches her lips with a wide mouth of shock. "I'm sure he was busy, but it's all about the intent matters."

"Anna, have you read 'The Wayward King'?" I ask her. She turns red, blushing from the erotic novel I mentioned.

"My lady! I- I uh-"

"By your reaction, I would say you have. Please take a seat," I gesture to Elric's now empty seat. She sits down slowly.

"Y-yes I have read it." She clears her throat but face still red. I nod my head and tell her to eat. She is hesitant, but takes a blueberry.

"Do you remember that part where she gave the King an ultimatum? He had to choose between his country or his heart. Choose between a duty or the lady he loves." I say a plot point that many ladies woo over.

"It was so romantic when he chose her!" She gushes as she takes another berry.

"Then, I will do the same. I am engaged but there is no love. If I distance myself, surely he will miss me and come to me himself, right?" I ask her.

Anna gushes about how romantic my ultimatum is and how he will soon learn that he loves me back. She encourages me to stick with the plan no matter what, to avoid all meetings with him in the near future. She says that I should only accept him when he comes to me personally.

I smile and watch her. She has no clue that it is all bullshit. He won't care for me, he never did. When Catherina came around, he still avoided me whenever he could and spent all his time on her. Now, I want that distance, but it can't be too obvious. This is a perfect excuse to not meet with him.

This story, while erotic and disapproved by society, has had a chokehold on all the ladies- noble and commoner like. If I were to meet with future ladies and they question the separation, I can make him the villain.

They'll see me as the heroine they treasured in the novel. He's already a Prince, it'll be easy to imagine his as King. I'm a high ranking noble like the heroine. They'll be on my side and they'll see him as the villain for choosing the country.

I take out the following paper on the envelope, a place to write my reply. I ask for a pen and she runs and quickly returns. I thank her and write my reply.

"I cannot wait for the sun in the night, rain in the desert or the starts to meet at one point in the sky. You do good for the world, but be selfish. I must wish you farewell, for I can no longer wait." I read aloud a quote from the book.

"He will surely show you his love, my lady! I bet on it." She gives me a sure smile and I nod my head.

Any lady would recognize the quote and understand my ultimatum. No man would realize my intention. They'll think of it as mindless poetry and take it as a no. That's what I need.

I put the letter back in the envelope, not wanting to go to my study and use my own envelope and wax seal. Besides, I'm supposed to be proving a point. I stand and hand her the envelope, telling her to send it when she can. She curtsies and leaves me be.

I take the time to take a walk. It's been a while since I've walked my own garden grounds. When Catherina came, she spent all her time outside and played victim to the servants. I just avoided her, a cowardly act I now reflect on.

I sigh, walking towards the fountain we have. It's in the far end of the garden, but it's quiet and isolated. I pass by the random flowers, picking a few that catch my eye. When I finally make it to the fountain, I have a bouquet in my hand.

I look around, wondering if anyone would see me. When I make sure there are no servants, I hike up my skirt, tying it up so that water doesn't touch my skirt. I take off my shoes, setting them to the side.

I look at the maidens in the fountain. They all sit clumped together with buckets where the water spews out. When I was younger, I liked to put flowers in their hair. I liked the decoration as a child and thought they would too. I softly put flowers in their stone hair. However, after many decades, there are chips where the flowers can stick to.

Once done, I get out of the fountain and sit on the bench in front of it. I let my feet air dry and let the sun hit my legs. I've never acted this boldly in years, learning to hide my inner child. But, why live a life for others? I died by doing what I thinking how others would want me be.

Who cares if my legs are out and my feet are on the floor as I admire the flowers in the stone maidens? I close my eyes, the sun softly hitting me but I don't care about my skin. I take a deep breath of the summer air, forgetting how much I missed the outdoors.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 51 16
Formerly, "I Took In A Weakened Goddess, And Now I've Been Reincarnated In A New World" --- At that moment, I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger...
75.7K 2.1K 32
Merrie Claire de Rosalind was hated by everyone ever since she was born: the servants, her parents, her brother, and the kingdom. One fateful night...
295 3 1
I live in a world where I am nameless. I live in a world where I do not matter except or unless I am owned by someone. I do not have rights, freedoms...
104K 1.4K 7
Awakening to find myself in a world teeming with magic, dragons, and fantastical wonders was like stepping into the pages of a novel - quite literall...