The Tumultuous World of A Dem...

By Vimbai218

Life isn't exactly ordinary for Julane Jones, especially since she's half-human and half-demon. When she deci... More

Synopsis
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five

Chapter Fourteen

98 33 55
By Vimbai218

A few hours into our travel, we decided to rest at a motel to gain some energy for the next day. To my surprise, Devlin began opening up to Everett – the warlock just had the comforting and trustworthy effect on people. They had become so close in such a short amount of time that Devil Boy had admitted to him that he was a runaway.

"So, you need to get home, and you're thinking the Great Ball is the only way out?" Everett held a serious look that I had never seen before as he sat on the chair in front of us.

"Yes." "Yeah." Devlin and I spoke simultaneously with lumps in our throats.

My nerves were starting to get the better of me. I was sure a massive lecture was about to come our way. So, I tensed for the worst.

"That sounds like so much fun!" sang Everett, shocking the two of us troublemakers on the couch across him.

Devlin's shoulders relaxed. "Phew! You think so?"

"Of course, now I wish I could ditch that dump of a convention," he groaned before explaining, "It's full of basic witches talking crap about one another and them showing off their latest creations, to be honest."

It reminded me of all the prissy rich kids at my university. So, I screwed my face in disgust and asked him, "So, why are you even going then?"

"I'm going to earn my witches' credits so that I can still be certified."

"Oh," said Devlin and I as we digested his words. I still would have ditched if I were in his shoes, but who would trust my judgment with all the choices I had made the past week.

With a cross of legs, Everett sat upright in his seat and questioned, "About the potion you needed earlier, is that to mask your scent so other devils won't sniff you out?"

I nodded. "Yeah, that's right. I need to blend in as much as possible without being a threat."

"I see..." he trailed off, thinking about something.

After much time, Devlin broke his train of thought with a sharp, "Is something bothering you?"

Everett shook his head. "I just feel you'll need more than that since you'll be surrounded by the highest level of devils."

I cocked a brow. "Like what?" Though silent, Devlin was invested in the conversation too.

Everett pulled himself off his seat and made his way to his small briefcase. He lifted it to his ear, shook it, then smiled with content as if he found what he was looking for. Sauntering his way to the coffee table between us, he dropped the bag open on it. Out from it popped a massive eight feet rack with an array of different weaponry. From daggers and machetes to pistols and full-on assault rifles, he had everything in the bag.

My jaw dropped. "Everett! Where did you get all of this?"

He just shrugged. "I'm a collector of daggers and other forms of ammunition, and passing Ashlin City, I came prepared." The man had enough ammo to be a standalone army.

Devlin stood up and calmly held onto one of the pistols. He studied it with caution before announcing, "This is anti-devil AK-13. They are only sold and found in the devil armies... how did you get this?"

"You make a lot of friends doing my work, Your Greatness," said Everett, before gesturing to me to pick my weapon. "Anything pique your interest, Miss Ju?"

I tilted my head to the side and found myself staring at this one black dagger with an intricately designed golden sheath. The more I looked at it, the more I felt it calling out to me. Without a hint of reluctance, I pointed at it. "That one."

"Another good choice," said Everett, tossing me the knife. "Rumors say it was actually made by first-ever demi-demon and that she even used her bones in the process. It's a one of a kind."

"Does it work on devils?" I asked with a slightly desperate tone. Just having witnessed Devlin fight had me fearful for my life, especially since I had to go into a grand ballroom full of others just like him.

Everett stared at me questioningly. "I'm not sure. I've never used any of these yet."

Anxiety began to crawl its way up my throat when something in the back of my mind told me to calm down and that I would be fine.

"I'll take it," I stated with confidence. I needed to trust my gut this time around.

Devlin looked at me with curious eyes, but before I could ask him what it was, Everett had moved on to the potions.

"About the potions," he added, "I think I'll make two. One for you, Miss Ju, and the other for the great prince. And with that said, don't worry about your outfits either, I've got that covered for you."

"Really? Everett, you rock!" I cried, engulfing him in a big hug. "You just saved me from robbing a boutique."

The night grew colder, and we weren't getting any younger. So, Everett gave me the bed while Devil Boy took the couch. However, I noticed the warlock wasn't going to sleep, so I asked, "Aren't you going to rest for the big witches' convention tomorrow?"

He smiled at me. "Don't worry about me, Miss Ju. I have some potions to cook up, and if they need what I'm thinking, I might need a few hours or so. Regardless, don't worry about it. Now rest, child."

With that, I smiled back at him and laid my head on my pillow. And for the first time since my arrival in the Underworld, I was finally able to get some decent sleep.

XXX

The next day came by faster than expected, and having slept like brick, waking up was a real bitch. Nevertheless, we were back on the road by sunrise. We hadn't traveled more than an hour when we finally reached our destination. great Capital of Desidia, Caput.

An ocean of skyscrapers and buildings spread across the horizon as the warm tint of the sun-glazed their glassy textures. People of all shapes, sizes, and cultures flooded the pedestrian areas — either casually enjoying the city or making their way to their next meeting. Amid the loud bands jamming out their music, performers danced in some of the parks we had passed by, wowing crowds and exciting some school children. From a nearby food market, the air smelt rich of various delicacies that would make one drool. Everything was loud and alive in the capital of Desidia.

The Great Ball was happening in the evening, so we had the whole day to venture through the city. Like an excited toddler, I bounced up and down then beamed at half-asleep Devlin. "Caput is amazing! What should we do first Devlin?"

"Sleep," he yawned. "It's not that impressive, Iram's capital is twice as large as this place and has many more festivities going on."

My excitement dampened faster than the speed of a bullet. "Fucken Buzzkill."

Everett laughed from the driver's seat. "You two have such a lovely relationship. I can see you being friends for a long time."

"Yeah, whatever," Devlin moaned, glaring at the world outside our windows. He was so moody today. If he didn't have a third leg, I would have assumed it was that time of the month or something.

"Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? You're acting like a dick today," I stated with a click of my tongue. He was starting to bug me a little.

With a heavy sigh, Devlin shook his head and apologized, "Sorry, I just have bad memories of this place is all."

I had forgotten his kingdom, and Desidia had bad blood for some reason. "No, I'm sorry for not understanding."

Some time had passed. Devlin fell back asleep as we maneuvered the busy streets. Although the city was incredible to look at its traffic was horrendous. We had been in a traffic jam for almost two and a half hours.

"Uh, the great assassination of 1995," whispered Everett, catching my attention.

My brows furrowed, and my eyes narrowed. "What did you say?"

"His greatness had an older sister who was assassinated by her ex-lover in Caput," he explained, with a tone of sadness. "It was very much heartbreaking news for most kingdoms as she was loved by all for her kindness and charity. She was very much like Princess Diana in the Human world."

My heart hurt. I didn't have any siblings but I couldn't imagine losing any of my family members; that would eat me for the rest of eternity. My eyes wandered off to a dozing Devil Boy as I said, "Devlin must have been devastated."

"You want to know something else," Everett whispered, looking at me through his rearview mirror. I signaled him to say it. So, he did. "Her name was Jules too."

My eyes widened. "Are you serious?"

He nodded. "This time, yes. Unfortunately, I am."

A short quietude fell over the three of us for the rest of the ride. I just didn't have anything to say after hearing that. All I could hear was my heart breaking for Devlin.

XXX

Traffic finally died down. Everett dropped us off by a restaurant with some money, our weapons, and the two potions he spent the night cooking up. He instructed that we only drink the potions when we were ready to go to the ball.

"Any time before that, and I'm afraid they might wear off early," he concluded.

It made sense. Potions were like medicine; they could only last so long. That was what Everett had told me the night before.

We thanked the warlock for all he had done. He bid us farewell and said that if we needed anything, we should reach him by his cell — which he had given the both of us earlier on the trip. Waving him off, he disappeared into the traffic.

Half-awake, Devlin looked around with caution before saying, "We've got some time to spare, and I don't think we can go to the party on an empty stomach."

As if on cue, a loud grumble erupted from my belly that made my cheeks flush. He laughed, then took my hand and guided me to the nearest food place. We found one just across the street.

It was a small, comfy cabin-like restaurant with a big 'Fish and Chips' sign. We walked inside and got a seat by the corner. Laughing and eating our troubles away, there was a short time of silence where I wanted to ask Devlin of what had happened to his sister, but something told me to hold it off. So, I just went with my gut.

As we were waiting for dessert, two men walked in and sat on the other corner furthest from us. From time to time, they would look over at us then back to their plates. The whole ordeal was odd and made me very uncomfortable.

"What is it?" Devlin asked, sensing my discomfort.

Maybe I was going crazy. "Nothing," I responded. "I'm just not so hungry anymore."

He stared at me for a good minute before calling the waitress over to put our desserts in a doggy bag. She brought the packaging. Devlin took it from her and we both got up and began our way to the door. However, just as we are getting to the exit, one of the men from earlier suddenly stepped in front of us and blocked our path to the door. Massive build, the man had a bad eye and massive scar across his bald head.

Devlin pulled me behind him as he barked, "What the fuck do you want?"

He didn't respond just kept staring us down with his one good eye. Before long we found the other man behind us. Slightly smaller build, this man had gold teeth and tattoos all over his body like a second skin.

He eyed me specifically with a slight grin then growled, "She's the one. I'm telling you, Melov. She looks just like that poster on the web. Twenty-five million on her head."

"Is that so, Jarf?" Melov then looked at Devlin and said, "Sorry there, mate, but I'm going to have to take your girl from you there."

"I dare you to try," Devlin growled, pulling me closer into his back. I was so close I could smell his recently washed skin and the spicy cologne he had gotten from Everett.

The atmosphere was so thick with testosterone and tension I almost choked. No one was moving and for a moment it felt like that way was going to last forever. However, it didn't because the moment the waitress returned to the dining area and let out a horrifying scream, all hell broke loose.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58 0 10
Rae Wilder has problems.... Supernatural creatures swarm earth, and humanity is on the brink of extinction. Stalked by a handsome fairy who claims sh...
2.7K 252 32
For a special mission, a group of three wizards and a witch arrived in the human realm. Each of them has their own special powers. They met a female...
VAMPIRESS By 🀥

General Fiction

6.7K 1K 32
- 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐄 - When the original vampires eventually liberate the queen of vampires, she desires blood, but not human blood. She seeks vengeanc...
528 28 14
A young woman's desire for a new beginning with a complicated past comes with dire consequence's in modern day New Orleans [Content Warning: This st...