His Smirk ||

By JadedRein

PART I ---> http://www.wattpad.com/story/75943-it-began-with-a-smirk Kale and Rein. Finally a couple. Finally... More

1 - The Boyfriend
2 - Unaccounted for Responses
3 - It's All Whose Fault?
4 - Bitter Liquid, Bitter Words
5 - Decisions of the Drunk
6 - Wake Up Call
7 - Under Control or Going Under?
8- Taking the Steps
9- Makeshift Family Fun
10- To Put Together a Puzzle You First Need Pieces
12: Why?
13: Spoiled Brats
14: Too Much Talking
15: Miracle Drug
16: Connections
17- Letterman Jackets
18- Just What I Needed
19: Fast Spreading Words
20: Pushing Back
21: A Sky full of Rein
22- Weeding Out Lies
23: Taking Advantage
24: Game Changer
25: Doing it Wrong
26: What Friends Are For

11- A Slew of Plans

77.9K 838 230
By JadedRein

                                --Special thanks to karmah5 for her amazing editing skills--

For votes I will not threaten, for comments I do not beg. But if you don't leave your opinions, I may just break your leg. 

~-~-~-~

Leaning up against my locker with my eyes closed I sighed. I made it through another day. Though I had chickened out of talking to Kale yet again things had gone relatively well. Now all I needed to do was find a ride home.

“Are you all right?”

I opened my eyes and looked to Jakeson as he approached, a concerned look on his rugged face. “I’m fine, just thinking,” I responded, pushing off of the locker as he stooped to open it. It seemed like everyone I knew had my locker combination. Not that it really mattered. All I had in my locker was a few books and rolls of film. Nothing that would interest my friends in the slightest.

I’d been so busy playing with the hem of my school skirt I hadn’t realized that he’d paused with the locker, looking at me. “Thinking about what?” he asked as I turned my eyes towards him, looking away in surprise as I realized he’d been staring at me.

“I have to stay after for photography,” I answered instead. I didn’t feel the need to tell him who I’d been thinking about.

He already knew who. So he accepted the change of conversation for now, pausing as he made a little note to talk about it later no doubt. “I can swing back here and pick you up when you finish?”

“Well-“

“Hey bug-a-boo,” Brendon’s voice cooed from beside me and I glanced over as he joined us, a smile on his face.

Immediately I looked away, trying not to blush. I hadn’t yet talked to him about what happened between us. I hadn’t talked about anything that had happened at that party come to think of it. Not to Skylar about the whole grinding with him thing. Not to Brendon about having sex with him. Not to Spencer about sticking up for me. And most definitely not to Kale. Though I had tried. In a way. I’d called. That was good enough right? He should have to make a move too. It wasn’t a one sided relationship after all. He’s part of it too. Or was.

“Is that a yes?”

“Is what a yes?” Brendon asked, perching his elbow on my shoulder as he held his head up.

I locked my eyes on Jakeson’s, staying silent. “Me coming to pick her up when she’s done with photography,” he answered.

“Well I am staying late for a test. I’d have no problem bringing you home,” Brendon offered, causing me to look up at his smiling face. “Unless you really wanted Jakeson to. Say if you had to talk about something?”

Catching on to the hint I paused for a second. Did I want to talk to Brendon about it? What was there to say? Hi, I got dumped in front of tons of people by the guy I loved, got drunk for the first time ever and then proceeded to sleep with you. Yeah, I didn’t picture that being a very comfortable conversation.

Jakeson must have noticed my pause for he closed my locker, the sound interrupting the silence that had hung in the air. “I really don’t mind driving her. It’s not that far out of my way. I’ll just-“

“No,” I interrupted him, surprising even myself, “Brendon is staying anyways. He can take me.”

His perfectly blue eyes searched mine a second before giving a soft smile. “All right, I’ll see you at home then.” I nodded with a little attempt at a smile as Brendon backed off of me. Jakeson stepped up, spreading his arms for a hug. I accepted it, letting his arms come to rest around me. He only held it for a few seconds before pulling away. “If you don’t get home before seven then I’ll already be gone at Lindsay’s house.”

“Lindsay?” I asked, having never heard the name before.

“His new girlfriend,” Brendon informed me with a sly smile, “they’re a thing as of second period.”

“She’s not my girlfriend,” Jakeson commented in a tight voice. “And we aren’t a thing. I’m just-“

All sounds were tuned out as my heart fluttered in my chest. On either side the two boys stood bickering with each other. Brendon lighthearted and Jakeson on the defense. But I wasn’t really taking in any of their sounds. Rather my eyes were on Kale as he strode down the hallway with a girl on his arm. I didn’t know her name. I’d come to realize in the two days that I’d been at school and broken up from Kale that I didn’t know most of the girl’s names at this school. But Kale did, and he always had one with him.

Either my mind was playing tricks on me or he was deliberately trying to torture me, for as he passed by my locker with her he seemed to slow down. Every steep seemed planned out and perfectly in tune with my thudding heartbeat. He, of course, hadn’t even noticed me. Not a glance in my direction. He was too busy with his current arm candy. Yet there I stood, glancing at him, then to my feet, again and again as though it would accomplish something. I knew it wouldn’t. Go talk to him.

For a second I really did consider it. I mean what type of relationship so close ends on a drop of a hat just like that? Not in front of all these people. I told myself, trying to convince myself that that was the real reason and that it wasn‘t just because I was a chicken.

Get a hold of yourself.

I shook my head, turning to gaze at Jakeson the second that Kale passed by, close enough to reach out and touch. Which of course, I didn’t do.

Jakeson misread my look as caring about what he said for he gave me a little crooked smile. “I’ll be home tonight, I promise.”

“What?” I asked, wondering what he was talking about. “Oh,” I caught myself, not wanting to be called out on for not listening, “dinner right. Okay.”

For a moment he seemed put out before running his hand over his slightly shaggy brown hair. “Well I’ll leave you too to your test and photography.”

“Have fun on your date!” Brendon called out loudly, causing Jakeson to reach out for him. Brendon quickly dodged it, hiding behind me with a playful smile.

“It’s not a-“

“Oh!” I suddenly, exclaimed, cutting Jakeson’s growl short. “I’m having Jared over for dinner tomorrow night. Is that okay? I thought all of you guys could join.”

All the talk of dinner and dates had suddenly reminded me of that plan I’d made on Monday with Jared. I was determined to get the guys to accept him. Just because Kale had denied any of the guys meeting him didn’t mean that I’d let that fly. Especially not now.

“Will you be cooking?”

“Of course,” I responded with a nod.

Jakeson smiled broadly. “Then of course. I’ll let the others know tonight.”

For a few minutes more we made plans. It wasn’t until the last few people filed from the emptying school halls we realized we were pushing it on time. The three of us went our separate ways, to do our separate things, thinking about the same thing. What was I going to do about Kale?

Surely I didn’t know the answer to that question. Yet I kept thinking about it as I worked on developing my film.

He’d broken me apart from Jared. He’d broken my heart. He’d tried to break my reputation. Well, whatever reputation I had. I wasn’t really sure. I didn’t talk to anyone outside of the guys.

I hadn’t been to keen on finding female friends. After what had happened with Opal I doubted I’d ever be able to have a girl as a close personal friend ever again.

But Brendon was trying to get me new friends. He was putting forth all of his effort to try and find good matches for me. And as I climbed into his car after I’d finished my photography I felt the need to thank him. He’s been trying so hard to keep me stable. I realized, returning his adorable smile as he pulled out of the parking lot.

“How did it go bug-a-boo?” he asked, adjusting his rearview mirror once more.

“Just fine. I finished my roll. Got a few good shots but need to redo one or two.”

He nodded, turning to smile at me. “That’s good,” he said lightly, his green eyes meeting mine. “I’m glad that you have such a hands on hobby.”

“Me too,” I agreed. It’d been his suggestion to go on jog with my camera yesterday. It’s turned out well. I’d gotten lost behind the lens. Every picture I’d taken had brought me further from reality and closer to happiness. I’d always loved my camera and my film.

A few minutes of soft silence passed before I realized he’d taken to watching me with a soft smile. I opened my mouth to ask him what was on his mind be he talked first. “Bug-a-boo, I think we should talk about some things.”

My heart jumped, my eyes darting away from his. “I-“ I started, but my eyes were drawn back to his soft face. He was giving me the classic Brendon ‘don’t you dare’ look that he always gave the guys when trying to mediate their fights. “I-“ I faltered, wanting to avoid the topic. But his green eyes were smoldering and I caved, as he knew I would. “I guess so.”

“Relax,” he hummed, reaching out to ruffle my hair, “it’s nothing to feel uncomfortable about.”

Nothing uncomfortable?!  “I slept with you,” I said flatly, unable to hold the words in. I wasn’t even sure what made me say them. It was almost like I had to make sure that I hadn’t imagined it. Brendon had been so normal to me the past two days that I was starting to think maybe I was just a crazy.

“And that’s okay.”

“You were my second.”

He gave a little nod, “I know.”

“You know?” I asked, my mind redirecting the conversation on its own. “How do you know?” I pushed further. “Who did you ask?”

Brendon chuckled and shook his head slowly. “It’s nothing to be scared about. We can talk about it without any pressure.”

His green eyes met mine and my heart picked up again. I wasn’t sure what exactly there was to say. “But-“

“I like you Rein,” he said, his voice becoming less playful and more to the point, shutting me up. “I’ve liked you for quite some time.”

My eyes darted away from his out to the window again. Not now. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what to think. I inhaled slowly trying to think of something to say. Anything. “I didn’t know,” is what came out.

“I know,” he said, his voice softening again. “I showed it in my own ways, but not in the way I wanted to. I couldn’t.” He let out a little sigh.

“But-“ I paused a second, surprised that he wasn’t interrupting me this time, “but you hooked me up with Jakeson?”

“I did,” he nodded with a small Brendon smile. “I thought he’d be good for you. You’d changed him in ways I hadn’t thought possible. The way he acts around you is different than around everyone else. But it was too different. And in becoming a better emotional match with you he lost his physical connection with you. He treated you too delicate and it sent you searching for more.”

I looked away embarrassed and shameful. By that he means I cheated on him with Kale.

“Hey,” he cooed, reaching out for me. His hand landed gently on my chin and turned my head. My eyes met his and he gave a small smile. “It’s all right bug-a-boo. You went to what made you happy. You have every right to be happy. Don’t let these boys make you believe any differently.”

He withdrew his hand, my face cooling a little where it’d been against my chin. “But Kale wasn’t the right match for you. He was hands on enough but too unstable,” his green eyes met mine again. “It wasn’t your fault. You just weren’t a good match for each other.”

A little flush crept to my cheeks as he said this. His usually playful voice was so light, so soft. It was if he knew how torn up I was inside and was expertly mending it as the seconds passed.

“You have to face him soon. Maybe not  yet, but you will have to talk to him. You can’t put it off forever.”

“I know,” I breathed, giving a little nod.

“And Jakeson,” he continued, his eyes narrowing onto mine, holding them on place, “you can’t live with him much longer.”

His words washed over me and I bit my lip, surprised at the forceful tone he’d started to take on. “But why? He said-“

“What he says doesn’t matter,” Brendon said, his green eyes holding mine captive. “You living in a house with him for too long is not a good idea. He still loves you. He always will. And sooner or later he’s going to make a play. He lost you last time and this time he’s going to try and use every trick in the book to keep you once he gets you again. I’m not going to let that happen.”

I opened my mouth to make a rebuttal but he shot me such a stern gaze that I closed my mouth instantly. “I mean it bug-a-boo. You can’t stay there.”

“But it’s Jakeson!” I exclaimed, my voice cracking a little. I can’t go back home. I can’t love with Kale. Even if I talk to him, I can’t live with him as my stepbrother. “He’s safe.”

“He’s the guy you cheated on and then broke up with for Kale. You broke his heart. Now Kale broke yours. Instead of playing the bad guy Jakeson is going to try and piece your heart back together. Now that he’s felt heartbreak he knows just what you need in order to fix it. He’ll use your trust to his advantage bug-a-boo.”

“This is Jakeson we’re talking about!” I countered, my blue eyes locked in his. “He’s not like that!”

“We both know what he was before you came,” he said, his voice stern. “He was a player. In fact, he still is. You were the only girl he ever felt anything for. He’s not going to just let that go. He’s a good guy, but he’s not going to lose you again if he thinks there’s any hope of a chance.” He moved the car into park, watching my every move carefully.

I didn’t know what to say. He was right. Jakeson had been a player. In fact at this very moment he was most likely with a girl getting laid this very second. “I guess so,” I muttered, feeling hopeless. I’d forgotten that the Jakeson I knew was only a part of the whole.

“I’m not saying now, but you have to move out soon.”

“I-“

My words were cut short by his lips crashing into mine. I didn’t even have time to react before one of his hands had found it’s way to the small of my back, pushing my body gently toward his as his other hand tangled it’s fingers in my hair. His lips were hot and quick as they coaxed mine open in seconds. His tongue expertly explored my mouth and my breathing grew heavy as my body began to immediately react to his touch.

Before I could lose myself and kiss back he drew his lips back slightly, sucking on my lower lip before scattering my face with little kisses. His lips touched every inch of my face quickly, adding in a little nibble of the teeth here and there along my jawline. Finally they came to rest on my earlobe.

His hot breath tickled my ear and all my nerves stood on high alert. “Unlike my two friends,” he breathed, nibbling on the lobe for a second, “I have both the passion and the compassion needed for you.” His lips wrapped around my earlobe and he sucked on it, his tongue playing with the small stud I had in my ears.

My breath caught in my throat as his hand massaged in little circles on the small of my back, calming my entire body yet keeping me breathless at the same time. “Now,” he breathed and kissed slowly down my jaw. “You’ll work on talking to Kale, won’t you?” Brendon asked as his lips stopped kissing and hovered just a breath away from mine.

His green eyes held mine utterly captive and I gave a small meek nod, unable to speak. “Good,” he smiled and planted a soft kiss on my lips, his mouth pushing my lips open the smallest bit so his lip would trace the roof of my mouth quickly. Once more before I could respond he pulled away, his lips just a breath from mine. “And you’ll move out of Jakeson’s, right?”

I paused, utterly helpless, and nodded again.

“Thank you bug-a-boo,” he breath, brushing his cheek up against mine as he moved his mouth back to my ear. “It’ll be worth it,” he breathed so softly that it sent tingles down my spine.

Just when I thought I was about to die from shock he pulled away, drawing his hands off of me and giving me my space back. “Now that we’ve got that out of the way,” he said lightly, his soft smile returning as he crooked his head and gazed over at me, “movie night is at my house this Friday. Don’t forget you’re on snack duty.”

His words woke me from my stunned silence and I gave a nod. “Right,” I breathed softly, having to clear my throat in order to get any words to come out.

Brendon leaned forward again, unbuckling my seatbelt for me. “I’ll see you tomorrow at school bug-a-boo. Remember what we talked about and make sure to get some rest.”

I nodded, my hand quickly pulling open the door. I moved to get out and as I did his hand clasped gently around my wrist. “I’m not going to rush things. We’ll take this at your pace. But know this, I won’t give up.”

With that said he released my wrist and I climbed from the car quickly, my heart threatening to jump from my chest. What on earth had just occurred?

      ~-+-~-+-~

     Meanwhile-

 Miles sat on the highest tier of the bleachers, his shoulders slouched and a scowl on his face. If only he hadn't let his anger get the best of him he wouldn't have been stuck watching the team rather than out on the field playing with them. The cast on his arm caused the skin underneath it to itch and he hastily forced a pencil into the small space and did his best to get rid of it. He's learned his lesson with Rein, just not the right one. If he was ever in a situation like that again he'd handle it diferently. He'd make sure that things went his way.

      ~-+-~-+-~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

369K 10.7K 61
Summer Jones doesn't have a perfect life - a crazy half family, dropping grades and absolutely no idea on what she's doing in life. This tomboy has n...
1.7K 97 44
"So what did you think of the assignment?" He persisted in getting an answer but Bailey had another conversation already in mind. "I noticed you loo...
60.9K 1.4K 35
"I can't be just friends with you," he whispered bringing his hand against my cheek cupping it slightly. "McCormick," I sighed. I leaned in a little...
12.8K 288 33
Rylee and Theo are finally together. With a new season on the way, there is nothing that can stand in their route to happiness. Or is there? A friend...