Sands of Time (Complete)

By gr8day

I am moving my fanfics over from QuoteV so you might have read this already =P For those of you who haven't p... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: The Day That Became...
Chapter 2:....A Miracle
Chapter 3: This is our WHAT?!
Chapter 4: A Newly Broken Heart Is Hard To Mend
Chapter 5: Her Past Comes To Surface
Chapter 6: A Safer Egypt
Chapter 7: Now What?
Chapter 9: Something He Wanted for Years
Chapter 10: Pharaoh?
Chapter 11: The Egyptian Gods
Chapter 12: The Past Is The Future
Chapter 13: Impossible Power
Chapter 14: Bakura's Second Victory
Chapter 15: The Beginning Of The End
Chapter 16: I'm Sorry
Chapter 17: The Wakening of Zork the Dark One
Chapter 18: The Power of Friendship and Love
Chapter 19: Only A Few Hours Left
Chapter 20: I Refuse to Say Good-Bye

Chapter 8: Just An Ordinary Girl

465 29 9
By gr8day

Five Years Later
It was the day before Atem's coronation and he was very nervous. His father had died less than a month ago and he already was having a responsibility forced onto him that he didn't believe he could do alone. He needed guidance and the people he could trust were no longer in this life. If only Aadila had been alive to help him through this, then he could possibly have found some courage within him to hide his nerves. Today would be the last day he would be known as Prince.

Many things have changed over the last five years. All guardians of his father's reign had been replaced, except for Aknadin, but it only seemed fit since it was one of the wishes before he moved onto the afterlife. Shimon would be an advisor to Atem, and Atem had told Shimon he would be informing him what he should hear about the city, not what he wanted to hear. Atem was hoping he could trust Shimon to do this because he, unfortunately, didn't trust the new guardians as much as him, except for one. Mahad had become a full fledged magician three years ago and was one person Atem knew would do what was necessary for the sake of Egypt. He would risk his own life for the people and Atem was not sure the others would go so far. That didn't mean he didn't think they were perfect for the positions, but he thought they had hidden agendas until he could see otherwise. 

Aadila's family still lived within the palace and Atem enjoyed their company. Tarik had insisted that they leave after the death of his friend but Atem refused to let them leave. They seemed to be the only people that seemed like a family to him and Aadila's siblings always seemed to find ways to make him smile. He couldn't get rid of that feeling when he needed it the most. Unfortunately, Tarik was becoming weaker and weaker as days went by from an unknown illness. He was refusing help from the magicians, most likely because of the fate his dear daughter endured on her own. 

The noble girl that had lived in the palace was removed days after the death of Atem's father. The engagement fell apart after his father fell ill and it appeared that the family had lied about their lineage. Instead of exiling them, Atem thought it only seemed right to let them leave the palace to continue their lives as they would have if they never came to the palace. They couldn't take anything with them that they had received nor visit the palace unless it was a public event. Shimon had praised Atem for his maturity on the first issue he had to deal with, even though it would not be official since the coronation had not yet occurred. 

Mana was still a magician in training, but she had come a long way since she first joined. Her spells were more accurate and she could control them for some amount of time. It was only that it seemed every other spell she tried to perform, something went wrong. Either she couldn't reverse it, couldn't hold it for more than a few seconds or something completely different occurred. It was causing Mahad sleepless nights, but otherwise he seemed to enjoy her determination. 

With everyone busy with preparations for the coronation tomorrow, Atem decided that it was a perfect opportunity to sneak out and see the city one last time. It had been months since he snuck out due to his late father's health, but he thought it only right since he would never be able to do so after he is named the new Pharaoh. Quickly, he snuck into the shadows, veiling himself with the hood of his cloak and moved through the palace toward the stables. When the coast was clear, he swiftly saddled his horse to ride to the gates. 

"I should have guessed you would do something like this. You never seemed to enjoy my company when you went into the city your Majesty."

At the door, there stood Mahad bowing to his master, then slowly walked towards him. "Mahad, I won't be long. I just want to see the city one more time without people noticing me and acting on their best behaviour. I'll be careful like I always am. If anyone asks for me, just say I want some time alone and I'll see them when I am finished with important affairs." Atem mounted his horse, looking down at the guardian that was more like his best friend. "I promise this is the last time I will do something this foolish."

"I'm not going to stop you if you want to continue doing it. It has turned into a monthly event for you over the past few years and it seems you have learned more then what the teachers have taught you. Enjoy yourself your Majesty." With a smile Mahad simply left. Atem seemed confused because normally when Mahad caught him trying to seek out he insisted that he go with him, as a safety precaution. I wonder what's going on? Prompting his horse toward the gate, Atem made his way into the city to see the people, enjoy the sounds and breath air that wasn't filled with politics. 

It appeared nothing had changed since Atem had last came into the city. There were the few beggars but it seemed that the larger number of guards present had caused people to think twice before doing something illegal. Well, all but one. Suddenly there was yelling and a crowd forming in front of a fruit stand. Atem moved closer to the commotion, being welcomed by a sight of four guards encircling a boy that could not possibly be over the age of 14. The incredibly thin boy was hiding something under the tattered clothing, which was probably something he had stolen from the owner. One of the guards yelled at the boy, telling him to return the item to the owner and they would let him go free, but it seemed that another didn't have the patience or the kindness to wait for the boy's actions. Quickly the annoyed guard kicked the fragile child, crippling him with the simple action. The boy refused to give the food back, saying he was starving and didn't have parents to defend for him. The same guard that kicked him picked him up by the collar, saying something, Atem assumed was a threat, then threw him to the guard. Just before the guard could move any closer to the boy someone yelled, "Stop this!"

The voice came from a hooded woman, whose cloak was a beautiful red fabric. She moved closer to injured boy, supporting his head so she could talk to him. Atem moved closer to listen to what she was saying but still kept the hood of his cloak up so people wouldn't recognize him. Her voice was soft, almost motherly, and she asked him why he was doing this.

"My parents where killed by an illness. I have no one to feed me, I'm all alone. I couldn't think of another way to survive."

"Maybe I can help." Through the shadow of the hood, Atem saw a soft smile appear on the girl's face. "My Master was hoping to find a few new servants. You'll have a home, food and people will take care of you to make sure you are always happy. What do you say?"

"That's very nice and all, but this little street rat must see the King for his crimes!" The impatient guard interrupted. 

"Sabra, come here and bring to boy to our Master. I'll join you shortly." Suddenly, a boy around the age of 17 came over and supported his junior and began to walk away. The girl turned back to the guards. "You are supposed to be the King's guard, not bullies! You expect people to trust you to protect then when all you are doing is creating fear! You should have just offered to pay for the fruit he stole this one time and let it be! Not beat him to near death! Do you think the King would approve of your behaviour?"

"How do you know? A peasant like you has most likely never met the King. You think you are so intelligent but you can't even support yourself. You rely on someone else to provide you food." The guard gave a bone shivering laugh.

However, Atem agreed with the girl. He noticed the girl did not become fazed and she just moved closer to the guard. She barely came to his chest but she stood her ground.

"You are supposed to be the extension of the King's hand. If you act like this all the time, it's no wonder that some people think the King is an evil person."

"How dare you disrespect the great Pharaoh!?" The guard pointed a spear at the mystery girl, but she didn't flinch.

"I am simply stating an observation. I would never dare disrespect the son of the late Pharaoh Aknamkonon. If his son is anything like him, he will be a great King to this country." The girl turned to Atem's direction, smiled and turned back to the guard. Atem was confused, did she know that he was there? "I will pay for the goods the boy stole and we will never speak of this again. Do we have a deal?"

Before the guard could refuse, another came in and agreed. The girl bowed, payed the vendor then moved through the crowd without a single word. Atem got onto his horse again and quickly went to the direction that she had gone. He felt it was his duty to thank the girl for what she did for one of his citizens and for believing that he would be a great king. He stopped at an uneventful intersection, there were very few people, at most 4, and there was no sight of the girl. He turned his horse around to head back to the palace and had to quickly stop his horse.

"May I inquire as to why you are following me?" It was her! Atem got off his horse and moved closer to her.

"I wanted to ask you something about what I just witnessed. Do you have a few moments so we can talk?"

"Of course, Your Majesty." 

"Y-y-y-ou know who I am?!" This shocked him. The quick glance that she had back in the crowd was an impossible amount of time to figure out it was him. She simply nodded at his question. "May I ask how?"

The girl let out a soft giggle. "Even though it is difficult to tell here, back at the crowd the sun shined off the gold that is hiding underneath your cloak. The saddle of your horse has an symbol that all of the soldiers horses bare as well. So that either made you an important figure in the army or someone higher up. I took note of the clothing you wore and it is much to expensive for an army man, so I assumed you were someone close to the Pharaoh. That was until I noticed that particular piece of jewellery around your neck. There is a rumour going around that the Pharaoh and six of his guardians wield magical items that bare the eye of an unknown God. I have seen the guardians before walking around the city, but never you, so I only assumed that you were the Pharaoh. It would have been embarrassing if I had gotten that wrong."

"Your intelligence is far superior than the average servant. How did you ever learn this skill?"

"Before I started to live with my aunt, my parents left scrolls around the house when I was younger. I brought them with me after they died of the plague, Your Majesty. I apologize if I have said something you did not want to hear." The girl bowed slightly.

"Don't be silly. I prefer people be honest with me, but I am sorry about your parents."

"I appreciate your kindness but it was a long time ago. Now, I don't mean to be rude your Majesty, but I must get back to my master. It was a pleasure to talk." The girl bowed again and began to walk away.

"Wait!" Atem grabbed the arm of the girl and stopped her. "I insist that I see the face and know the name of the girl how believes in my abilities." Before the girl moved to take the hood from her face, Atem felt something cold on his hand. Looking down at her arm, he saw a thick gold bracelet that looked to be moulded to the girl's flesh, a perfect fit. When he looked at it closer, he saw a partial engraving but when he went to look at it further the girl pulled her arm away. Looking up at her, Atem saw her hesitantly pull away the hood. It shocked him because her dark skin and coral eyes looked so much like Aadila, but he knew it was not her because the girl had the plain black hair like every other Egyptian in the city. 

"My name is Amunet, Your Majesty."

"The hidden girl? It seems your name fits how the public sees you. Why do you walk around with the cloak on, hiding such a beautiful face?"

The girl quickly hooded herself again when she heard voiced coming from one of the roads. "People stare at me, giving me unwanted attention because of the strange colour of my eyes. I do it to protect my master's name."

"Your master must really take a liking to you, seeing how he has given such fine, custom jewellery. That bracelet, can I have a closer look at it?" The only reason Atem asked her was because the partial carving he saw looked too much like the eye on all of the other Millennium Items.

"Amunet! What are you doing here!? The master is waiting your return!" A voice yelled. It was an older woman, possibly her aunt.

"Coming! I apologize for my rudeness but I must leave. Take care, your Majesty." The girl bowed and ran to the older woman. As they walked away, Atem heard the woman question Amunet about who she was with and she simply answered, "Some stranger. It's not important." 

Atem quickly rode back to the palace as he realized he had been out for quite some time and began thinking that Mahad would not be able to hold off council members much longer. As soon as he closed the door to his room, it seemed almost immediately that someone knocked on it. Atem answered it to find Mahad standing at the door and welcomed him in. Sighing, Atem sat on his bed and Mahad just could not hold in his laughter. "What's so funny Mahad?"

"Only that you seem as if you were noticed on your time alone. Tell me, who recognized you?"

"A girl."

"Really? That's surprising. What was she like?"

"Intelligent, beautiful."

"You better decide quickly if you want to see her again. You only have a few hours until the palace will be locked down for the coronation tomorrow."

"No." Atem laughed. "I think I have had enough about think of things like that."

Another knock came at the door and as Mahad opened the door, it revealed Isis behind it. She bowed and said, "My King, some of the guests you invited to the coronation have arrived. I thought you would like to welcome them personally." 

"Yes, I would." Rising from his seated position, Atem made his way to the throne room and saw something is wasn't expecting in a thousand years. There she was, standing behind the man Atem assumed to be her master, cloaked along with the older woman, the 17 year old and the boy she saved from the guards. He was badly bruised but he had been put into more presentable clothing. They all bowed when the King made his presence. The man was an influential trader and was the only one in the country that seemed to have morals, which was why he was invited personally by Atem to the coronation. "Welcome. I hope you will enjoy your stay at the palace." Atem said.

"I am sure I will your Majesty. I hope you don't mind but I brought my servants with me. I don't feel right leaving them at the house while I am here enjoying such luxury."

"Of course not. They are welcome to stay." Atem observed them and they all had excited faces, expect for Amunet. She maybe thought the hood hid her expression but she seemed worried. "If you don't mind me asking, but why does one of your servants hide their face?"

"Oh. Amunet receives unwanted stares. I told her it is unnecessary but she is very loyal. She does not want people to think badly of my trade because of her appearance."

"Why? What's wrong with her appearance?"

"Nothing. Everyone in the house believes it's a beautiful quality but she despises it."

Atem walked over to her, knowing very much that he was speaking of the enchanting coral eyes. The girl looked down and backed away a few steps when he stopped directly in front of her. Removing the hood and placing his hand on her chin to move her face to look at him, all he did was smile. "I see nothing wrong. Do not hide your face here."

Suddenly a voice doomed through the hall. "Aadila!" Looking behind Atem, Tarik made his way to the young girl, who would have been Aadila's age if she were still alive. "Aadila, it's you! Why did you leave?! My dear daughter, we thought you were dead!" He embraced the girl, not faltering to the objection of his children behind him.

"Tarik, my friend. It's not her. I see a resemblance too, but we know that she is no longer alive. And look at her hair. It is plain, not the shining gold your daughter had." Atem spoken solemnly to the old man.

Tarik took the girl at arms length and asked her, "Who are you?"

"My name is Amunet, sir."

"Where are your parents?"

"Dead, due to the palgue."

"Have you been here before?"

"Never have I had the honour."

"Do you recognize me? Or those children?" 

"I'm sorry sir but I have never net you or your children."

Tarik cried as the girl answered his lightning fast questions. It only proved that it was not his daughter.

Amunet took him into an embrace and said quietly, "I am sorry, but I am just an ordinary girl. I'm am not the daughter that you appeared to have loved and lost."

Atem was shocked at two things. One was that he saw the rest of the bracelet on her arm and saw the carving of the Millennium eye clear as day. The other thing that shocked him was Amunet herself. Even though she was shedding tears for the heart broken father, it seemed that her eyes were internally apologizing for something that she had done to the man.

"Are you sure you are just an ordinary girl?" Atem questioned.

"Yes"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.8K 253 7
A 15 years old girl named Yugi was sitting alone on her windowstill, rain is pouring heavily as she silently crying over her dead grandfather Solomo...
6.5K 191 18
This story has recently been put in the Yugiohwattyawards for 2017! If you haven't followed them yet I would recommend it! There's always some really...
10.4K 487 44
A rebellious uprising. An arranged marriage. A rising threat against Egypt. How will the youngest son of Pharaoh Aknamkanon cope with them all? #1 in...
472 15 15
Duelist Kingdom is won and everyone is safe once more. Joey is able to help his sister and save her sight. Upon helping Serenity, Joey meets her frie...