Sands of Time (Complete)

By gr8day

I am moving my fanfics over from QuoteV so you might have read this already =P For those of you who haven't p... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: The Day That Became...
Chapter 2:....A Miracle
Chapter 3: This is our WHAT?!
Chapter 5: Her Past Comes To Surface
Chapter 6: A Safer Egypt
Chapter 7: Now What?
Chapter 8: Just An Ordinary Girl
Chapter 9: Something He Wanted for Years
Chapter 10: Pharaoh?
Chapter 11: The Egyptian Gods
Chapter 12: The Past Is The Future
Chapter 13: Impossible Power
Chapter 14: Bakura's Second Victory
Chapter 15: The Beginning Of The End
Chapter 16: I'm Sorry
Chapter 17: The Wakening of Zork the Dark One
Chapter 18: The Power of Friendship and Love
Chapter 19: Only A Few Hours Left
Chapter 20: I Refuse to Say Good-Bye

Chapter 4: A Newly Broken Heart Is Hard To Mend

706 40 8
By gr8day

The dinner became awkward for everyone. Aadila caused a fuss making her father embarrassed and Aknamkonon really saw the reasoning behind it. They finished to their fill and Aadila was the first to ask permission to leave. 

"Father, Your Majesty, Your Highness. Excuse me." The weak 13 year old said with pure confidence, almost fuelling her disappointment in her father for the acceptance of the idea. 

"Aadila, wait. I need to have a word with you." Her father said sternly, quickly standing from his seat to tower over his daughter. She must had realized her father us beyond anger with her vocal disapproval. 

"Tarik, first let me have some words with you. Then you may speak to your daughter." The Pharaoh said. "Children you may all leave. Atem, I am putting you in charge of Aadila until I am finished speaking with her father." 

"Of course, father." Atem said happily, moving around the table to catch up with Aadila as she left the great hall. 

Tarik's sons and youngest daughter left slowly, looking back at their father before finally moving out of the adults sight. Quickly, Tarik began speaking. "Aknamkonon, my Pharaoh, please forgive my daughters rudeness. She is young and doesn't understand the situation and your kindness." He moved to his knees. "If you are angry with her, please take it out on me. I see I have not fully taught her how to respect someones kindness."

Aknamkonon could only laugh. "Why would I do such a thing? It seems that you did not see what I did while your daughter protested so avidly." He quickly moved his friend back to his feet. "Don't ever think that way again. I want to remain as we were before I became Pharaoh, and I don't want to have to remind you."

"Yes, of course. But what do you mean? I missed something? Are you saying that you understand why my daughter protested?" Tarik replied in confusion. "It is very out of character for her. What did you see when she protested?"

"A broken heart." That was all he said, nothing more, nothing less, wondering if his intelligent friend would catch on.

"That's it. A broken heart caused that?" Obviously he didn't.

"Do you remember when I lost my wife? At first, I could perform my duties without difficulties, almost too well. But do you remember what happened after a couple weeks?"

"I do. You changed completely due to the fact that your son was the spitting image of your late wife. It haunted you, constantly being reminded of her when your son was by your side. You became angry, ill-hearted and surrounded with grief. You didn't want people's pity for a loss that you blamed yourself for even though it was beyond your control." The Pharaoh had slowly moved into the next room, containing a senet board. Each took their own seat and set up the game, just like old times. 

"I never told anyone this, but I thought that I was being punished by the Gods for not fulfilling my duty as a husband. I was haunted by night terrors every night when I closed my eyes, and haunted by her image in my own flesh and blood. But then, I had a dream one night, different from the ones before. It didn't scare me, but it comforted me. It was of my wife and myself on the River Nile. It was identical to the very last time we had gone together. She looked at me and said, "Take it as a final gift I am able to give you. It's not a punishment, but a present for all you had done for me. You went beyond your duties and we were able to have a symbol of our love. Even though he may look so much like me, it shows you that I am not truly gone. A part of me lives within our son, so embrace him and I will feel it as well in the afterlife. Fulfill your duties as they should be done and remove the anger and sadness from your heart." When I awoke, I felt somewhat lighter and saw everything in a new light."

The Pharaoh was already in the advantage of the game when he had finished speaking, telling his friend something he had never told anyone before. Tarik had never been good at this game, they really only played with each other when they had matters that needed some distractions. The Pharaoh continued, "In her eyes, I saw the same pain and anger I felt those many years ago. Don't be too hard on her. She just doesn't know how else to process the dark events that have happened around her. It will take some time, but she will become happy again. It could be days, weeks, may the Gods forbid months, but she will find joy in things again. She just has to see that those people are happy in the afterlife and do not wish for her to be spending her days constantly missing them." 

"I see. I can also see that this is a big change for her as well. She is so used to assisting her mother with things around the house that it may be hard for her to adjust to palace life. Thank you for the advice Aknamkonon. I have different words I wish to tell her now." The father smiled down at the misfortune of his luck at this game. 

"You should be proud of your daughter to be able to display such behaviour. It's rare in children." A joyful laugh came out due to the luck of receiving a high number, causing Aknamkonon to win the game.

"Well, it appears my good luck can never transfer to this game. At least I seem to always have it on the battle field." Tarik stood, giving his friend a pat on the shoulder. "Thank you again. Do you mind if I go speak with my daughter now, or do you have something else you wish to say?"

"No, no. I shan't keep you. Go to your child. She needs you." Tarik moved towards the door, and left the room, leaving the Pharaoh in thought. "Her intelligence just might be something that I can't have leave these walls."

*****************************************************************************
"I thought you would like to see the palace gardens. I heard what happened to you a week ago. I'm very sorry about what happened." Atem said, his face becoming sad and almost distant. He was also surprised about the way Aadila acted at dinner. She has quite a good rapport among everyone in the palace that has met her, saying she is always kind, very respectful and intelligent beyond her years. 

"I don't need your pity. It's not like you could have done anything to stop it from happening." She replied coldly, not even caring about the fact that the Prince was right beside her. 

"I always feel better when I talk about what is bothering me to my friends. I know we just met today, but maybe it will help." He thought showing her kindness in her time of need would help her see that there are people who want to help her. 

"You would never understand the pain I feel! What makes you think a pampered Prince like yourself would understand what it is like to lose a home?! Have you ever felt what it's like to have everything taken away from you in the matter of seconds!? I bet you have never felt what fear is really like! You live here with your high walls, elaborate gardens and plentiful food never thinking of how life would be different if you just walked past the front gate!" She was crying as she said this. She must have started as they left the hall. Atem had never seen such emotion come from a single person all at once. He didn't know what to say but he knew he couldn't just stay silent.

"You're right." The tears still streamed down the girls face, but her eyes showed more shock. "I may not know what it is like past these walls, but I do know what it is like to lose something special to me, even though I never really had it to begin with. You see," he sat her down on the edge of the fountain and joined her before continuing, "I lost my mother when I was very young. The only thing that creates images of her in my mind are the paintings on the walls and the memories that my father formed for me by telling me stories. Even though I never really had her in my life, every day I feel as if there is a small part of me that is not complete. This small part is due to the want of what I wish to know of my mother, something that I can't have first hand. I've never had to shed tears due to loss, never had to yell in disagreement because people here only agree with me, even if my thinking may be wrong. But I wish to see you smile like you did in the hall before your disapproval with your father. I don't know if you know this, but I saw you the day you came into the palace. You looked as though you welcomed death, and I wish to never see that look on your face again." Atem placed her small arm into his hands, running his fingers over the bandages covering the serious burn on her forearm. "I want to see you happy again, and I want you to know that you have people, the rest of your family, here. They won't leave you until the Gods believe you are ready. So, if you think of it that way, the Gods cause allowed this because the believe your destined path should be moved foreword."

Aadila sat their in silence, confused, angered and happy that the Prince of Egypt was trying to help her, even though he couldn't understand what she was going through. He could have had her thrown out for how she spoke to him, but he sat there, like a friend, giving her advice on how to move on. It was like he didn't fully understand who he was about to become. She didn't reply to his words, she simply sat and let the information settle in. She understood what he meant, but it was easier sad than done. Aadila turned and looked at her reflection, only seeing the one person she wished was here. People in Aadila's village always said that she had more of her mother in her, and she saw it too. The blurred reflection produced the spitting image of her mother, causing tears to start flowing again. 

"Aadila! I'm sorry if my words hurt you, that was not my intentions. I had only wished to give you advice on how to move on and continue to be happy." Atem genuinely thought he had caused the tears, but he was very far from the truth. 

"No, no, don't be silly. Your words are not the cause of the tears." Aadila began wiping them away. 

"If you don't mind, may I ask what is?"

"It's her reflection." Aadila's father had found them. He smiled at the two young children and continued, "All she can see is the reflection of the late mother Your Highness. People always said that she looked like she mother to the point they could be reflections of one another. Now that her mother is gone, I can see it as well." He let out a low chuckle and turned to Atem, "Do you mind if you leave us? I wish to speak to my daughter."

"No, of course not. However, could you promise me something?"

"What is it, Your Highness?"

Atem walked closer and spoke quietly. "Your daughter is very upset and I don't think she meant the words she said at dinner. Maybe you should be gentle on her?" Atem blushed a little.

Tarik smiled, "As you wish."

Aten turned around, facing the crying girl and said, "See you again, Aadila." The girl looked at him and quickly looked away and the boy simply smiled as he walked away. Speaking to himself, he said, "This is the first time someone, especially a girl, has spoken to me in that way. Very interesting." 
*************************************************************************
Tarik joined his daughter at the fountain, starring and the water and the creatures moving around in the enclosed space. He looked to his daughter, seeing that she was waiting for him to yell at her for her earlier behaviour and, if her first meeting with the Prince was anything like his, for her very recent behaviour. 

"Aadila, look at me." His voice was soft, welcoming his daughter to look into his eyes. "You must not think that you are going through this alone. I know that for a child your age, you can comprehend things better than most adults but, I want you to promise me one thing."

"What is it?" 

"I want you to believe the our family and everyone else in the palace are one."

"What do you mean?"

He pondered for a second, then taught of the perfect way to explain his meaning. Just like he did when she was younger. (Listen to the song at the top of this chapter while reading the rest of the chapter.  Kinda of ignore little Kiara's singing, even though it's super adorable! )

"How do I explain it? Here, come with me." He got off the fountain edge and started walking toward the court yard.

They walked by many people who adored the way the father was teaching his daughter a lesson. Showing her the ways people of different skills interacted with one another in the palace to make things happen caused her to somewhat understand what he was saying, but not fully. Until, he led her to the front gates. He showed how people were welcomed by the Pharaoh and how he never turned someone down by how he or she acted toward him. He treated them as their equal. He understood that to show people that they could trust the judgements he made on their behalf. He had the wisdom to lead, as her father had said. 

"Thank you father, I think I understand now. But I fear I can't just forget what happened so quickly."

"I know. You just have to believe things will get better and everything will fall into place." 

With that, they moved back into the palace and began the new chapter of their lives. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.4K 487 44
A rebellious uprising. An arranged marriage. A rising threat against Egypt. How will the youngest son of Pharaoh Aknamkanon cope with them all? #1 in...
6.1K 127 25
Yugi Muto and the gang have returned from their adventures in South America. Upon their arrival, the gang is introduced to Seto Kaiba's girlfriend, K...
19.7K 472 17
*All images are paid commissions created by the artist Less_End. Please do not copy or use in your own work* Atem shares the craziest wish with Mana...
6.5K 191 18
This story has recently been put in the Yugiohwattyawards for 2017! If you haven't followed them yet I would recommend it! There's always some really...