Fairy Tales From Around the W...

By rockstarninja89

For centuries, fairy tales have been treasured and passed down from generation to generation. Some are funny... More

Inojin and the Beanstalk
Beauty and The Beast
Hinata and the Seven Hedgehogs
The Three Little Ham Hams
The Queen's New Clothes
The Diamond Nutcracker
Little Red Cream
The Little Glass Slipper
The Maiden in the Tower
Naruto and Naruko
The Princess and the Pearl
The Little Mermaid
Rumpelstiltskin
Sleeping Beauty
The Frog Prince
The Princess and the Pauper
Eiji and the Magic Lamp
The Elves and the Shoe Maker
The Booted Cat
The 12 Dancing Princesses
The Swan Princess
Diamonds and Toads
The Snow King
Inuyasha's Christmas Carol

Rob o' the Hedge of Mercia

23 0 0
By rockstarninja89

Once upon a time, in a grand forest called Deerwood, there was a hedgehog that everybody called Rob. Everyone who knew of this hedgehog knew that his target was injustice. Legend has it that Rob was once a wealthy hedgehog, but he turned to an outlaw in order to help the poor and depressed people of the land of Mercia. Rob lived in the Deerwood Forest with a band of freedom fighters who were all dedicated to helping the poor survive the cruelty of the rich. The kingdom was in very bad shape. The wise and benevolent King and Queen had been captured overseas and held for ransom. While they were away, the 'fat cats' had taken over. So it was up to Rob to help when no one else would.

One day, an extravagant and expensive-looking carriage was riding through the Deerwood Forest when Rob spotted them. He jumped in front of the carriage, refusing to budge.

"Halt! Stand and deliver!" he shouted.

"Here now, peasant," a black cat said as he stuck his head out the window. "How dare you stop me? I am Lord Pete."

"And I am a simple forester," said Rob, approaching the carriage doors, "who demands that you pay a fair toll for passing on my highway."

Pete exited the carriage and said with a sneer, "We have no time for such foolishness. Kill him. And do press on. It's nearly nightfall..."

The moment he said that, Rob took out his bow and shot an arrow at the cat's robes inside of the carriage door. Pete stared in disbelief at the hedgehog standing before him.

"Perhaps I didn't make myself clear," the hedgehog scoffed with a smirk. "I am Rob o' the Hedge. Now let's try this again. Why don't you tell me how much money you're carrying and we'll agree to a fair toll. Be honest with me and I'll be fair with you."

"We are just a few poor pilgrims, making our way towards the next town," stammered the cat. "All of the money we have we carry in this little purse."

He tossed a small leather brown bag at Rob's feet and picked it up, inspecting it curiously. He raised an eyebrow at Pete.

"Really..." he said. "Well, if you are a poor pilgrim, I'll double your money. But if you're lying, you lose everything. Oh, Amy!"

A pink hedgehog with a bob hair cut and red dress and green eyes suddenly appeared next to one of the guards.

"Search the carriage, will you?" Rob said.

"Right away," replied Amy.

"I'm afraid I can't allow that!" Pete said nervously.

"Did you hear that, guys?" Rob asked. "He says he can't allow it. What say you?"

It was then that a few more people who were hiding in the forest raised their bows and aimed their arrows at Pete, ready to shoot if he didn't cooperate. Pete froze and turned back to the leader.

"Uh, um... G-G-G-G-Go ahead, search the carriage," he sputtered, trying to remain calm. "You'll find nothing in there. I can assure you."

So Amy went inside and searched the carriage, only to find a large gilded treasure chest. She took it out and showed it to her cousin.

"Nothing, eh My Lord?" Rob asked.

"I found this under the seat," Amy said as she stood beside the black cat.

"I warned you not to lie to me," Rob said, glaring daggers at Pete.

"I...I've never seen that before!" Pete quickly said. "It must've been left there by the people who had the carriage before us. I just rented it this morning, truly. Don't hurt me!"

Rob looked at his Mercian Freedom Fighters and said, "Well then...we'll just take it and make sure it gets back to its rightful owner. And now, I think you'd best be off."

He pointed his finger away and the carriage started to drive away, with Pete still clinging to it.

"You cannot escape the law forever, Robert O' Hedge!" the cat warned. "I'll tell the High Sheriff of Mercia about this and then he will get you!"

When the carriage was out of sight, Rob looked at Amy. "Since when did they start decorating carriages with pompous, spoiled people like that?"

"Must be a new fashion," Amy joked before opening the chest. It was filled with gold, silver, and all kinds of jewels.

"Amy, you have to send one-third of this money to help pay the King and Queen's ransom," Rob said.

"Right. The sooner the ransom is paid, the sooner the King and Queen can return to set things right," Amy added.

"All of you, take a little of this to give to the poor of your villages. I'll take the rest to give to the poor of Mercia. We'll meet at the camp later tonight."

Later that same day, Rob snuck into the village of Mercia to give away the money he had just taken. But he had to be careful, so he went into town dressed as a simple peddler. Rob o' the Hedge had to be a master of disguise because the evil High Sherrif of Mercia was always on the lookout for him. He had to make sure the money he took from the rich went to the poor. When he arrived, the High Sherrif was already out and about and taking from the poorer people of the village. It was a heartbreaking sight. Men and women were begging, children were crying and the High Sherrif just laughed at their misfortune as if it was all just a big game to him.

"Pots! Who will buy my pots? Lovely pots for sale!" Rob cried out in a disguised voice. An elderly woman approached the pot vendor. "Here you are, Madam. Why don't you try this one?"

He offered her one of the bowls. She looked and was surprised to see coins of gold and silver inside. She looked at the hedgehog in shock.

"How did...?" the woman started.

"Shh, it's okay. I'm Rob o' the Hedge. Now go tell those who need it most to sample my pots," Rob whispered.

"You got it, ya whippersnapper," the woman said before going off to tell some more people about the pot vendor.

Soon enough, Rob's stand was surrounded by people of all kinds. They could hardly believe what they were seeing. Inside almost every pot and bowl were a bit of money and even a few gems. This caused quite a bit of commotion, which quickly caught High Sheriff Sasuke Uchiha's attention. He and his guards approached.

"A very good day for you, isn't peddler?" Sasuke questioned.

"Not bad, my Lord. Not bad at all," Rob said, remaining calm.

"Pardon me, but I don't believe I've seen you here before."

"Oh, I arrived only today."

"Is that so? Since you prosper, I'm sure you won't mind paying my special tax." Sasuke picked up a pouch of coins and tossed it to one of his guards.

"Oh really?! I've had a very odd day already," Rob scoffed. "I went through the Deerwood Forest on my way over here and I stumbled upon that no good rascal, Rob o' the Hedge, and do you know what he did? He stole one of my pots!"

Sasuke's eyes suddenly widened at the mention of Rob o' the Hedge. He looked back at the hedgehog standing before him.

"Rob o' the Hedge?! You've been to his camp!?" The High Sheriff exclaimed.

"Yes indeed, sir. I'll never forget it!" Rob replied.

"Could you find your way back there? If I capture Rob o' the Hedge, I'll reward you."

"I'll take you and your guards there at once."

"Oh no, no, no. I'll go alone to scout the location so my troops can return and sniff out the villain himself. Now come, show me."

Rob smiled. "As you wish, My Lord."

So he led the High Sheriff Sasuke out of the village and towards the forest. The two men walked and walked through the Deerwood Forest and Sasuke was growing more and more impatient.

"How much longer, peddler?" he asked as he stopped to sit down.

"Not too far now, My Lord," Rob lied.

"You've been saying that for the past hour."

"But it'll all be worth it, I can assure you."

"It'd better be worth it. Oh, think of it. When I finally capture Rob o' the Hedge, I will be High Sheriff for life." He stood up and smirked at the peddler who turned around to face him. "Unfortunately, I cannot afford to share the glory. No witness."

"Hey now!" Rob cried in false surprise. "That's no way to treat someone who just help you. Isn't it that right, Amy?"

"Indeed it ain't," Amy chuckled as she and the rest of the Mercian Freedom Fighters came out of the forest. "Downright rude."

The Mercian Freedom Fighters all surrounded the peddler and looked at the High Sheriff, who had a look of pure shock on his face. They all had sly smiles.

"The Mercian Freedom Fighters? And...and you're..." he stuttered.

"Rob o' the Hedge, at your service, sir," Rob o' the Hedge spat as he removed his disguise.

"No, no, no! Don't kill me! I beg of you, please spare my life!" Sasuke cried as he kneeled before Rob, tears started falling from his face.

Rob rolled his eyes. "Ugh, I can't stand to see a grown man cry. There, there. Now why don't you hand over that purse and belt of yours?" Without hesitation, Sasuke removed his belt and tossed it to Rob. "Good, good. And how about all those nice clothes? We could use some nice clothes."

As quickly as he gave up his belt, he started to take off all of his clothes as fast as he could. The Mercian Freedom Fighters all watched in amazement as the baffled High Sheriff undressed.

"Amy, do we have anything for the good High Sheriff to wear home?" Rob asked.

"With those eyes and that complexion, it might be a toughie," Amy answered. "But I think I have just the thing."

"Oh, this'll be good," Rob smiled.

In the village of Mercia, the High Sheriff was forced to walk around dressed in a woman's gown with lots of pink, ribbon, lace, ruffles, and frills. It was humiliating and everybody in the village was laughing at him as he walked through the streets. As of now, Sasuke had vowed revenge on Rob o' the Hedge.

Many days went by and the High Sheriff dared Rob o' the Hedge to show his face. And he also knew that he couldn't resist a proper challenge, as long as he succeeded in the end of course. So he held a large archery competition, knowing Rob wouldn't be able to resist showing up to win it. He again wore a disguise, this time as a humble farmer. The other archers who competed were very good, but Rob was better than anyone else and was in the lead. Rob o' the Hedge's beloved, the beautiful Maid Mari-An the echidna, was able to see through all of his clever disguises.

With a smile, she approached her lover. "Your aim is true, good farmer."

"Oh? Well, I'm no Rob o' the Hedge." Rob said in a different voice. He bowed before her. "But thank you very much, fair lady."

"You'd be better off if you were no Rob o' the Hedge."

"Oh, but of course."

When no one was looking, Mari-An brought her voice to a whisper. "Oh Rob, my sweet. Can't you see that this is a trap?"

"Relax, my darling," Rob whispered back. "Half of the many archers here are very 'merry' men, if you get my meaning. Besides, who could turn down a challenge like this?" he winked.

And at that moment, the two lovers shared a small kiss.

"Attention please!" High Sherrif Sasuke Uchiha announced. "The time has come for the final round of our little competition. There are only two contestants left. Our very own Sai Yamanaka of the Royal Guard..." he proudly smiled and applauded, but no one else clapped as enthusiastically as he did. "And the mysterious farmer from Knothole Village." He rolled his eyes.

The crowd applauded and cheered like crazy at the mention of Rob's alias.

"This is the final target," said the High Sheriff as he gestured towards behind him. "May the best one's arrow fly true."

After a moment of silence, the guard aimed his arrow and hit a bull's eye. Everybody cheered.

Rob turned his head to the High Sheriff and said, "I beg your pardon, but this Sai is a wonderful archer, sir. What do you say we call it a draw? I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone."

"Oh, there will be no draws. There must be a winner..." Sasuke taunted. "Unless, of course, your arrow lands exactly as close as Sai's."

"If you say so, My Lord," Rob said, taking out another arrow.

He aimed his arrow, shot it, and...it split Sai's arrow in half! Everyone applauded and cheered at Rob's magnificent shot.

"I guess it's a tie! Let's hear it for Sai Yamanaka!" Rob announced as his Mercian Freedom Fighters surrounded Sai and congratulated him.

"Step forward, good farmer," Sasuke said as Rob walked towards him. He unsheathed his sword, glaring darkly at Rob. "You may receive your reward."

"Rob, look out!!" Mari-An yelled in terror.

"That's no way to reward the winners!" Rob cried as he ran out of the way just in time.

"We're outnumbered!" he cried to his Mercian Freedom Fighters. "Back to the forest!"

As Maid Mari-An was about to follow her beloved and the others into the Deerwood Forest, the High Sheriff and another group of guards restrained her.

"I'm afraid you'll have to stay with me, milady," Sasuke said smugly.

"No!! Rob!!" she cried.

"Mari-An!! I'm coming!!" Rob exclaimed, stopping to look back at his lover.

But Amy quickly stopped him. "Not now, Rob!"

She took Rob by the hand and led him back to the forest with the others. Rob felt so guilty for leaving Mari-An behind. He lay by the fire.

"Don't worry, Rob. We'll figure something out. I know we will," Amy said, trying to comfort her cousin.

"If only I'd taken her with us, I should've," Rob said. "If only I knew she was alright. If I had some kind of sign."

An arrow was immediately shot out of nowhere and it nearly hit Rob in the head. Amy saw that there was a message from the High Sheriff tied to it.

"What does it say?" Rob asked.

"It's ridiculous," Amy said as she put the note down. Her eyebrows were furrowed. "He wants you to give yourself up in exchange for Maid Mari-An's freedom."

"I'll do it!" Rob said, standing up and running onto the forest path.

"Rob, no! He'll kill you!"

"I have a better chance of escape than poor Mari-An. I've made up my mind. I'm going to Mercia whether you or the others like it or not! Don't try to follow me!"

And as soon as Rob departed for the village, the Mercian Freedom Fighters followed after him to Mercia.

In Mercia that very afternoon, High Sheriff Sasuke Uchiha was waiting for Rob o' the Hedge to show up. Maid Mari-An was tied up and standing next to the High Sheriff.

"It looks like we may have to hang you after all, milady," Sasuke chuckled.

"Go ahead then, you coward. I'd expect no less from you," Mari-An spat.

"High Sheriff Sasuke!" Rob o' the Hedge said as he approached the gallows. "I accept your offer. My life for the freedom of the lady."

"Finally, a responsible act from you, Rob o' the Hedge," Sasuke smugly said.

"Rob, you shouldn't have come!!" Mari-An exclaimed.

"I couldn't just leave you here, my love." They smiled at one another. He turned back to the High Sheriff. "Alright, let her go."

Sasuke paused. "No."

"What?" Rob's eyes widened.

"I said no. I'd rather keep her and hang you. I can do that, you know."

"Not if we can help it!" Amy shouted.

Sasuke, Rob, and Mari-An turned their heads to see the Mercian Freedom Fighters led by Amy Rose. They arrived just in the nick of time to save their beloved leader. And then, a battle broke out between the townspeople and the Royal Guards. People of all kinds threw punches and kicks and even some food at one another. It was chaos. The High Sheriff tried to hide himself from the fray, but it was all in vain. Mari-An was freed and helped the Mercian Freedom Fighters as Rob battled the High Sheriff himself.

"Come now, Sasuke. Don't you want to join the fun?" he taunted as their sword clashed.

Then out of nowhere, as the battle raged on, King William and Queen Celestia had strode into the village with a few guards. Everyone stopped what they were doing and quickly kneel before them.

"We seek the outlaw, Rob o' the Hedge!" The King announced as Rob stepped forward. "Are you he?"

"I am, Your Majesty," Rob said as he bowed before the regal royals.

The High Sheriff Sasuke also stepped forward. "Your Majesty, I had just captured the villain and was about to hang him for his crimes." He proudly smiled.

The Queen then said, "Really? In doing so, my husband and I would've hung you ourselves."

As the monarchs strode to the teal hedgehog before them, the King said, "Good Rob, your timely payments have freed me and my wife from our captivity overseas. We owe you much for that."

"It's what any loyal subject would do, Your Majesty," Rob said.

"But many did not. We thank you for that, but you're still an outlaw."

"Much has happened since you left, Your Majesty. And the laws were no longer protecting the people, so I did. I do not regret what I have done."

"Nor should you, good Rob. Perhaps you would enjoy aiding the poor inside the law? As well as being a suitable husband for our beloved daughter, Maid Mari-An?"

Mari-An stepped forward and planted a kiss on Rob's cheek.

"Your Majesties, think of me as a member of your family," Rob said with a smile. He turned to the crowds of the people behind him. "Did you hear that, everyone? We are no longer outlaws! The King and Queen have returned."

Rob o' the Hedge and Maid Mari-An were married that very night. The High Sheriff Sasuke Uchiha was immediately banished for his crimes. The Mercian Freedom Fighters became new members of the Royal Guards. Mercia was back to the way it was before. And they all lived happily ever after.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.7K 208 17
Boruto is the son of the Seventh Hokage, the previous war hero, Naruto Uzumaki, and the Byakugan Princess, Hinata Hyuga. He is also the student of th...
38.2K 986 22
꒰ 💐꒱ ⌗ . . 𝓌𝓍𝓈 . . | 𝓙 -𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐖𝐎 𝐎𝐅 𝐔𝐒 ♫ ꕤ ┊ 𝗪𝗫𝗦 𝘅 𝗙𝗘𝗠𝗔𝗟𝗘! 𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗗𝗘𝗥 ▬▬▬▬ ⌗ : JUNE 2022 / ...
115K 3.4K 166
Started: 3/15/15 Ended: 7/26/15 ✔ Questions ✔ Dares ✔ Laughter ✔ HiroGo-Zone ✔ Personal ✔ Everything וו A S K T H E H E R E O S •×•×• REQUESTS ☆...
431K 21.6K 93
Everything happens for a reason - at least, that's what you'd like to believe. While playing Greed Island with your friends Killua and Gon, a spell c...