Bawat Daan (Puhon Series #1)

By pawsbypages

PUHON SERIES #1. Celestine Lim never wanted to be in a long-term relationship during her college years, not u... More

Bawat Daan
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Epilogue
Love, Bri
Special Chapter

Chapter Forty

83 6 0
By pawsbypages

#BD40 — The Proposal

It has been almost two years since our parents decided to go back to our old life. Here, in America. It was not part of my plan to live here again with them—without Celestine. But, I don't want to leave my sister alone. Audrey needs me. My family needs me. As much as I want to stay and be there for the woman I love, I still can't do that because the family will always come first. And if she's in the same situation as me, she will choose her family, too.

We treasure our families so much.

Celestine and I never stopped communicating with each other. I always call her whenever we both have free time—we usually have this online study date. I also try my best to book a flight and come home when an opportunity comes up to visit her. The two years apart went better than we actually expected it to be.

God knows how bad I miss hugging her, kissing her forehead, holding her hand, picking her up from school, watching the sunrise and sunset with her, having our study dates, and our spontaneous coffee dates. I miss her so much and I always feel the urge of dropping everything here just to go back and be with her.

But, I can't.

"Hijo," my grandfather said while I was looking for a seat. He sent a message to the whole family regarding this urgent dinner. I was busy studying with Celestine when I got a call from mama about it. I told her that I couldn't come since I need to study a lot for the exam but she just forced a small smile.

By then, I knew she didn't want to come either. I didn't want to come but I did anyway.

For mama and my family.

"Lolo," I responded before I took the seat beside my sister, Audrey. "Am I late? I'm sorry. I was busy studying for an exam when I got the call," I explained—making him feel guilty.

This dinner is too suffocating. I can't even look at my grandfather! Memories of him hurting Tita Katherine, Tito Elli, and Celestine flashes back whenever I look at his eyes. I sometimes wish that my mother was born in another family. I don't care if that family is not as rich as Javier's. I seriously just want to remove this old man from my life. He caused too much pain already.

"Nakakaabala ba ako?" My grandfather laughed. I smiled weakly before giving mama and Audrey a kiss on their cheeks. "Anyway, I have some important announcement to make."

Mama scoffed. "Just get straight to the point, Dad—stop beating around the bush," she fiercely said before sipping on her wine.

My grandfather nodded with an amused smile on his face. "You are my daughter," he said. He took a sip on his wine, too, before pushing a brown envelope in front of my parents. "As you all know, the company experienced a great recession because of the lawsuit my grandson filed against me," he said before glaring at me.

I smirked. "Just doing the right thing to do—by the papers and by the law," I said. "Just like what you always told me to do." I took a sip of my wine as well. "Follow the rules."

Tita Katherine doesn't want to file a case against my grandfather. She was too scared to fight back. She keeps on telling us that she already lost her husband and she cannot afford to lose her only daughter in the process of fighting for justice. She cannot risk it but I told her that I would help. With or without my parents, I will help them. Gladly, Tita Katherine agreed—we're certain that Tito Elli would want us to fight for it, too.

My grandfather stifled a laugh. "Open the envelope and see for yourself the mess that you made."

Mama was just about to open the envelope when papa stopped her. The look on their faces screamed trouble and anger. It seems like they already have a hunch on what is inside the envelope.

"No," papa interfered. "I will not let you do the same thing to our children."

"You don't have a say on this, Andrew," my grandfather exclaimed.

"Don't disrespect my husband," my mother asserted. "You will not do this to my son, Dad."

"What's inside?" Audrey asked. Mama handed her the envelope. I waited for Audrey to get the paper inside the envelope—we were sitting beside each other which is why I could take a glimpse of it. "Arrange marriage with the heiress of the Herrera Company?"

I grabbed the piece of paper in her hand and read it for myself. "The fuck?!"

"Words," papa whispered.

"Seriously?" I looked at my grandfather who looked like he wasn't even bothered by it. "You would go this far just to save your stained reputation?" I asked with a hint of anger in my voice.

"It was your fault, Hijo," he said. "Clean up after your own mess. Be responsible and take accountability for it." He, then, took another sip of his wine. "Marry Kelsey for the sake of this family."

I shook my head and said, "No, I will never marry anyone if it is not Celestine; we all know that."

"Lo, stop this," Audrey said. "Don't do this to Kuya."

My grandfather smirked and turned his gaze on Audrey. "Then are you willing to marry Kelsey's younger brother?" He asked.

I saw how papa's jaw clenched and how mama's eyes were filled with anger and despise. Both of our parents stood up and grabbed their belongings before tearing the piece of paper in front of us. Audrey and I stood up as well but the four of us remained silent.

Not until the old man said something that made me feel all the kinds of anger in this world.

"Break up with the Lim woman or I'll take matters into my own hands," he threatened me.

I shook my head. "I cannot believe this," I said. "Don't you ever come near them again." Papa was hugging me to calm me down. "Unless you want me to lose the tiniest amount of respect that I left for you."

My family went home after we stormed out of the restaurant. Mama wanted us to eat somewhere since we weren't able to eat dinner because of what her father did but Audrey and I refused. We lost our appetite to eat. So, our parents decided to just bring us home for everyone to rest.

A few weeks have passed, and I still haven't talked to Celestine. I refused to do so. I can't risk her safety. She has been through a lot already because of my grandfather. That's why I decided to keep my distance from her in the meantime while I was trying to figure the shit out of this hellhole. I knew that this would hurt her but I can't think of a better way than this.

All that I can think of right now is her safety.

"Kuya, talk to Celest naman," Audrey said when she saw me walking down the stairs. "She's worried, you know?"

I smiled weakly and said, "I know."

"Oh? Then why are you avoiding her pa? She's kawawa na," she said. "I didn't force myself to move on from her for you to hurt her like this."

"I need to do this," I said. "I don't want lolo to lay a hand on her again."

Audrey sighed. "Okay. Make it fast though," she said. I know that she understands where I'm coming from. She's Audrey after all. We're not twins but we definitely act like one.

***

Kelsey Herrera is calling...

I stared at my phone, waiting for the ringing to stop. Kelsey has been trying to reach me for days. I didn't bother replying to her messages or at least answering her calls. I don't want to do anything related to her family ever again.

I will never marry someone that I'm clearly not in love with for the sake of saving someone else's reputation.

"Answer that," Audrey said while pointing at my phone using her lips.

I shook my head. "I'm busy studying."

"While your mind is preoccupied with the woman you ghost for months now," she said.

"I didn't have a choice."

She laughed sarcastically and said, "You always have a choice."

"Yes, and it was marrying Kelsey or risking Celestine's life."

"Nah, you can get rid of the bitch and be happy with Celest all at once," she insisted.

I raised a brow. "And then what? Let him arrange your marriage with someone you don't know?"

"I can file a divorce anytime." She shrugged. "Fourth will surely understand."

I shook my head. "We're not having this talk, Quinn," I said.

"Fine," she said before she stood up and fixed all of her things. "Suit yourself."

My phone rang again after Audrey marched her way out of the coffee shop and this time, I decided to pick it up. I just honestly hope that she'll get back to her senses and drop the fixed marriage idea because it ain't happening.

There's no way I'd let that happen.

"What?" I said, coldly.

[We need to talk.]

"That's exactly what we're doing right now."

[Stop with your pilosopo lines, okay? You're making me mad.]

"Then be mad," I menaced.

[Oh, really? So, you don't want my help?]

"I don't have time to play with you," I responded.

[Let's pretend.]

"Uh-huh? Then what? Make it real after a year?" I scoffed. "You can't fool me."

[I'm in love with someone else and I'm just doing this for my grandparents.]

"Good for you and I don't care," I answered.

I know I'm being rude to her but it's the only way that I could think of to make her stay away from me. I'm so done with everything. I just want to focus on my studies so I could go back to the Philippines and make Celestine mine again without worrying about my grandfather's wrath.

[Let's just pretend... at least for now.]

Papa told me about her grandfather's condition. He only has a year left according to his doctor and his only wish is for Kelsey to be engaged and marry a good man from a wealthy family.

I never disliked the privilege that I have not until now.

"I'll call our family lawyer to create a contract of agreement," I stated.

[Okay.]

"I'll set up a dinner between you and my family for the contract signing," I stated. "Don't bring anyone from your family if you want your plan to work."

When she signed the contract, I made it clear that this show-off relationship will only last for a year and she needs to stay away from Celestine and my family. She agreed. We pretended. We tried our best to make my grandfather and her family believe that we were a happily engaged couple.

Little do they know that we are both in love with someone else.

The dinner that I planned for the contract signing ended earlier than I thought. I walked towards my sister but she suddenly ran her way out of the restaurant. I don't even have a clue on why she was acting like that! She suddenly glared at all of us after Kelsey asked for a picture with me.

It was part of the plan.

Publicity.

On the day after the dinner, I asked Audrey to study with me at our favorite coffee shop but she treated me like I was some kind of a ghost.

"Hey," I said, trying to catch her attention. "Can we talk?"

Audrey shook her head. "No."

"You can't avoid me, Quinn."

"I can."

"Please, let's talk. I'm your brother."

"I already said no; which part of that can't you understand?"

"Audrey—"

"Celestine fucking called!" She was fuming mad. "She cried for hours, Drake! For hours! Because of that stupid stunt, you're doing with Kelsey."

My lips parted. "W-what?"

"Yes! She cried for hours when she saw your picture with Kelsey last night," she explained. "I trusted you because you promised me that you will never hurt her..."

"She can't be a part of this mess again," I whispered.

"So, what's your plan?" She narrowed her eyes.  "You won't even tell her that it was just for publicity? That you're not really engaged to Kelsey?"

"We both know Celestine." I pierced my eyes into hers. "She will not allow this to happen," I said.

"Exactly! Because unlike you, she's brave enough to fight for you—without pretending and hiding."

"I'm doing this for her."

"Really?"

"I will not allow her to be in a fight with our grandfather, Audrey." I sat down to calm myself. "She's a fighter. She wouldn't drop this—she'll risk her life fighting for this!"

She scoffed and said, "You'll lose her in the process of protecting her, Kuya."

I ran my hands through my hair. "I'm sorry—" I was immediately cut off.

"You didn't even bother telling me about your plan. I thought kambal tayo, huh?" Tears started falling from her eyes. I took a step forward and tried to wipe her tears away but she slapped my hand. I deserve this. I was a jerk for hiding my agreement with Kelsey to her.

I'm an asshole for making Celestine cry.

***

"Kailan ka bibisita sa bahay?" Mama asked while she was busy fixing the grocery she bought for my condo. "Your sister misses you."

I moved out a few days after I got into a fight with my sister and it has been three months of me living alone. Living under the same roof with the man that broke your best friend's heart is hard—I don't want Audrey to feel the urge to choose between the two of us, so I had to leave. I also chose to move out to protect myself from my grandfather's craziness. I couldn't take more of his constant nagging.

I'm studying medicine. I value my time. I value my energy and I value my peace. He's messing it all up so I had to stay away from him.

I had enough.

"If lolo stops visiting there then I'd probably come and visit you," I responded with my eyes still focused on the book in front of me.

I heard her sigh and said, "He's still your grandfather, Drake."

"Yeah?"

"You can't avoid him forever."

"Then make him stop nagging me about that freaking wedding, Ma," I declared. "I already lost the woman I love because of him. I will not let him destroy the dream I made with Celestine, too."

Mama walked towards me and hugged me from the back. "Your papa and I are doing our best to stop the wedding," she replied.

"Thank you."

Kelsey Herrera is calling...

Mama took a glance at my phone when it rang. She smiled weakly and said, "Your fiancé is calling."

"Fake-fiancé," I corrected her before I reached for my phone. "Sorry, I need to take this call."

Mama nodded. "Come visit us, okay? We're your family."

"Okay," I simply said, not even sure if I can visit them anytime soon.

Kelsey called to inform me that there will be a party at their house and I'll be her escort for the night—another publicity stunt. I told her that I'll pick her up but I won't be the one driving the car. It makes me feel like I'm betraying Celestine if I let someone else occupy her seat while I'm driving.

Flashes of camera greeted us that night. Things are going well as planned. They made them believe that both of our families are okay. We looked like a couple—in front of other people. I tried my best to act sweet with her but most of the time, she was the one taking control.

I just can't do it willingly.

She's not her.

***

Audrey and I fixed our misunderstanding months after I moved out of our house. That was the longest fight we ever had for years. We get along well which is why we aren't used to being distant from each other. After the party at Herrera's, I got a call from Audrey asking me to pick her up from a party. I almost shouted thank you to her. I wanted to ditch that party so bad but I don't want another issue.

When I picked her up, she suddenly started blabbing about Celestine's whereabouts. I wanted to stop her but a part of me wanted to know either. So I remained silent the whole drive.

"She's friends na with Travis!" Audrey said and I smiled weakly.

"Kazu and Fourth also helped her pala with the new song she's composing then they submitted it to Travis's company—she signed a contract under Travis's company nga, e!" Audrey sounded proud and amused. "They're close with each other na."

I nodded. "Hmm?"

"See?! You're interested to know!" She implied. "Anyway, she's still single—back to her old self."

"No commitments, no strings attached?" I asked.

"Yup," Audrey answered. "But, don't worry; she's doing well in school."

***

"Pa," I called him to catch his attention. It has been years already. The engagement is already off but I couldn't find the right time to come back to Celestine's life—especially when I heard that there was something going on between her and Koby. She's doing well. Her love life is probably well, too. I asked Tita Katherine via FaceTime if it is the right time to go back but she only shrugged. "Can you transfer me to our hospital in the Philippines?"

Papa smirked. "Finally planning to win Celest back?"

I gave him a disappointed look. "Pa, we both know that she's happy now... with Koby," I said. "Let's move on, shall we?"

"E, bakit mo gustong umuwi ng Pinas?" Papa asked. "Wala naman do'n ang pamilya mo."

I remained silent. I know that she's happy now with Koby but that was all just a chismis from my sister and our friends. The only thing that they told me was that Celestine and Koby grew closer to each other as years passed by. There was no confirmation about them being together—for real.

I still have a little bit of hope in me.

"Audrey asked me to pick her up from the airport," I defensively said.

"Kazuo can do that," papa said.

"Pa, she's engaged with Fourth already," I said. "Maybe she wants to see her big brother after getting engaged in Siargao."

Papa stifled a laugh. "Okay."

I'm a resident doctor in St. Andrew's Hospital here in America. It was named after my father. I'm aware that one day, I'll be the one to take over the hospital. That's why I'm doing my best to become a successful surgeon like him.

Kazuo picked me up from the airport. I still have a week before I pick Audrey up from the airport so I called the whole group to help me plan. I even asked my father for help!

"Bakit kami nandito?" Yuriko asked.

"Wow." Ophyra dropped her jaw. "You finally showed yourself after 10 years of hiding!"

"I wasn't hiding," I answered.

"Sabi mo, e," she said.

I asked my friends to meet me in a restaurant near the hospital. Only Yuriko, Kazuo, Ophyra, and Chase came. Astrid left for Spain years ago for her law school while Audrey's still in Siargao with his fiancé and Koby. And Celestine? I purposely didn't invite her because this meet-up is all about her.

I sighed. "I need your help," I said.

"We know," Ophyra blurted with a smirk on her face. "What took you so long to do this, huh?"

"Akala niyan may iba na si Celest," Kazuo said.

"What?!" Ophyra's eyes widened. She was also about to be choked by the food she was eating, thankfully, Chase handed her a glass of water. A few seconds passed before Ophyra came back to her senses. "Ah! Si Koby..."

"Yeah," I uttered under my breath.

"Tagal mo, e," Yuriko said. "Naunahan ka na."

I smiled painfully and asked, "Are they together? Do they have a label or something?"

I looked at Kazuo and he shrugged. "Basta close sila."

I turned my gaze to Yuriko and she said, "True." she also nodded.

I, then, transferred my look to Chase who was busy patting Ophyra's back but he also shrugged. "Hindi ko alam."

Lastly, I looked at Ophyra with hopeful eyes. "You don't know either?" I asked.

She shook her head. "I know for sure," she laughed.

"Okay?" I creased my forehead. "And?"

"Koby's her new best friend," Ophyra responded. "They are more like friends but less than lovers."

I felt a sudden pain in my chest.

We were once like that, too.

But, it was my fault.

I drew a deep breath. "I could still try, right?"

Everyone shrugged which made me sigh again. I decided to order some drinks for us. They were all busy but they made time to see me so the bill is on me tonight. I was busy thinking of a plan while they were busy talking about stuff that I'm not interested in.

When an idea came up, I immediately asked everyone to listen.

"What if I ask papa to give her a case that needs a lot of studying?" I narrowed my eyes. "Knowing her, she'll probably study inside a coffee shop for it—coffee is like her blood."

"Okay, tapos?" Yuriko asked.

"Then I'll meet her there? She'll think that it was just a coincidence? I don't know—I'm not really sure," I said with a sad tone.

"Tanga mo kasi," Kazuo hissed.

I gave him a death glare. "I only did what was needed to be done, asshole."

***

Years after I asked papa to transfer me to the Philippines, Celestine and I became civil with each other. We work in the same hospital so we need to act professional but me being the Drake Cole who's deeply in love with her, tried my best to win her back little by little.

I keep on trying my luck every single day just to make her look my way again. She kept on pushing me away but as months passed by of us working at the same hospital, she's slowly learning how to welcome me back.

We attended Koby's birthday party together—that man has a secret girlfriend after all. We also have our little fights inside the hospital which the doctors and nurses find cute. I never forgot to bring her favorite cold brew coffee with milk.

One day, while we were resting, we received a call from Fronz. He was asking us for help. All this time, he was busy planning for this surprise wedding that he wants to pull off for Mitch. Didn't expect them to be together for this long. 

"Pa," I called while knocking on his office room. He transferred here after a family event. The hospital in America doesn't need much attention compared to the hospital here so he decided to work here as well.

"If you're planning to ask me for help then it's a no," he directly said. I kept on asking him to put me on a business trip with Celestine, or a medical mission, but he always find a way to say no!

"I'm not here for that," I laughed. "I'm actually here to ask you for a different favor."

Papa raised a brow. "What is it this time?"

"Celestine and I are planning to help our friend with his wedding," I explained. "So, we definitely need a week or so for it."

Papa nodded. "Consider it done," he said before reading the files on his table again.

I smiled. "Thank you!"

***

I finally won her back.

I used the time that was given to us by papa and Fronz to win her back. She was hesitant at first but then I knew there was still a part of her heart that was longing for me. Helping Fronz with his surprise wedding was worth it!

I am finally with the woman I love, again.

But this time, with a label.

We study together. We visited our favorite spot in the Mall of Asia together where I asked her to be with me when we were still in college and where I asked her to be with me for the second time. We are also doing our jobs as a surgeon together—but in different operating rooms. We still can't operate on the same patient.

But happiness always comes with a price.

I was invited once again for dinner at my parent's house. I sometimes spend the night at our parent's house since our they tend to miss me and Audrey too much. But this time, I wasn't able to spend the whole night there. Lolo invited the Herreras for the night and Kelsey's family started pressuring me to give them a grandkid—over my dead body.

"I want a grandkid," Kelsey's grandmother insisted. "That was your grandfather's dying wish, Kelsey. It has already been a couple of years since he passed away," she added.

Kelsey shook her head. "I'm not yet ready for that, Mama."

"Drake will take good care of you," Kelsey's mother insisted.  "You'll be fine, Hija."

I cleared my throat. "With all due respect, Ma'am, but your daughter and I are no longer in a relationship," I said. "We called the wedding off years ago," I added.

My grandfather shook his head. "You're a disgrace for this family, Drake."

I came home that night and I saw Celestine sleeping peacefully on our bed. I woke her up and had a talk about what happened at the dinner. The next day, unfortunately, an incident happened when Celestine lost her first patient under her watch. She was devastated by it. She was traumatized. I stayed by her side; the thing that I couldn't do before.

I practically live in her condo already. Her mother's fine with it and my parents too. She locked herself up in her room for days because of what happened. I talked to papa about it and he agreed on putting Celestine on sick leave until she recovers from it.

Time indeed heals the pain.

Celestine came back to work with me. Everything was going smoothly. Nurse Miles kept on grinning and smiling like a kid who's watching a romantic movie whenever he sees us being a little flirty.

One night, while we were having dinner, Celestine suddenly told me about her eagerness to talk to Kelsey. I tried to stop her because there's no way I'll let Kelsey come near her again. But she's too persistent which made me nod in agreement with her. This woman makes me twist my decisions in an instant.

So, while she was busy having a meeting with Kelsey, I called Kazuo and Fourthsky for help. I've been thinking about this for years now. I feel like this is the right time for me to do what my heart wants me to do. Enough of all the buts and what-ifs, because tonight will be the night that I'll make her my fiancé.

"Sa wakas!" Fourthsky said when he arrived at the seaside. "You'll finally get married!"

I laughed. "I'm still going to propose, dumb ass!"

"All this time I thought you'd be the first one to get married," he said before getting all the stuff that I asked him to bring here for the proposal.

"Naunahan ko pa," Kazuo blurted.

The three of us were busy preparing the venue while Celestine was still in a meeting. I reserved the coffee shop that we used to call our "place" for the whole night. I ordered her favorite cold brew coffee and placed it on the table she used when we met here again—not coincidentally—years ago. I asked the coffee shop staff to give her the bouquet of flowers with the post-it notes I prepared. This was exactly what I did when I asked her to be my girlfriend for the second time.

Outside the coffee shop, I asked Kazuo to bring our band's old instruments at the seaside—one of our favorite spots; where she kissed me before I left for America. The band is all set and The Unknown will play for tonight, including Damon. I also set up a human sized puhon word on the side of the band—probably our favorite word. There are rose petals on the floor as well as scented candles that she loves.

It doesn't matter if she'll say yes or no. I could try and try again until she says yes—but that will still hurt though. Besides from the coffee shop plan which is her first destination before she goes to our favorite spot at the seaside, I also reserved the whole Ferris wheel for our dinner date. I set up a table of 2 in the same cable car we rode when we were still in our first year of college. Of course, the steak with mashed potatoes will be our dinner for tonight; it's our favorite.

"Audrey can't come," Fourthsky said.

My forehead creased. "Why? She can't miss this," I complained.

Fourthsky sighed. "Masama pakiramdam, e," he said. "She'll make it up to you later at dinner."

I slowly nodded before I turned my gaze to Kazuo, who was busy fixing the instruments that we will use tonight, and said, "What about Yuri?"

"Papunta na," Kazuo answered.

"Astrid?" I asked. I booked her a flight to come home for our engagement celebration later. I'm not even sure if Celestine would say yes! But I did anyway. What's important is that Astrid's here with us.

"Travis will pick her up," Fourthsky answered.

"Is she gonna come here or what?" I asked, again.

"Sa dinner nalang ata 'yun pupunta; 'di na aabot," Kazuo responded.

A few hours passed when I received a call from Ophyra. According to her, Audrey asked Celestine to visit Yuriko's house because the dinner for the whole group would be held there. Before she goes to Yuriko's crib, Ophyra acted like her car broke down and Chase was busy so nobody would pick her up. She doesn't have a clue that it was actually part of our plan.

Ophyra Reyes sent a message

Ophyra Reyes
Active Now

We're on our way na

Wala pa rin siyang idea 🤣

                                                   We're done preparing

                                                      Thank you hahahah

Thirty minutes after Ophyra's message, I saw Celestine's car parked behind the coffee shop. She's here. It's finally happening after a lot of years of waiting. I saw Ophyra dragging Celestine inside the coffee shop. I knew she'd have an idea of what's happening because this is exactly what I did before—exclude the band and dinner at the Ferris wheel part. One of the baristas handed her the bouquet of flowers before she marched her way to the table she used when I accidentally poured my coffee into her clothes.

I smiled when I saw her walk out of the coffee shop. "Sa pagkumpas ng iyong kamay, aking landas, ginagabay... Nag-iisang tiyak sa isang libong duda... Silong sa iyak at pagluluksa," I sang even though my Tagalog accent sucks. "Kung puso ko ay imamapa... Ikaw ang dulo, gitna at simula... Nahanap din kita."

She stood in front of us, holding a bouquet of flowers with tears running down her cheeks. She wouldn't stop crying, as well as Ophyra, Yuriko, Mitch, and Gabbi who were watching us.

Tears started to fall from my eyes, too, but I still managed to sing, "Ohhh... Maligaw man, at mawala, at umikot man... Sa kawalan... Sa bawat kailan... Sino't saan... Ikaw lamang ang—Kasagutan." I smiled while staring at the woman I love with all my heart. "Bawat kanan, at kaliwa... Kung timog man o hilaga... Ang bawat... daan ko—ay patungo... ay pabalik... Sa 'yo."

Fourthsky will sing the second part for me so I started walking towards her. We both laughed and our friends kept on shouting "sana all!".

"Kailan mo inaral 'yan?" Celestine asked, still crying.

I scratched the side of my head. "I, uh, listened to it when I ghosted you," I answered with fear.

She glared at me but continued laughing after. "Weird pa rin ng tagalog accent mo but it's definitely better than before," she complimented me.

I kneeled one of my knees down while holding her available hand. She, then, started crying again. I reached for the right that I bought a month ago. I drew a deep breath before saying, "My Celestine Anastasia, our story may or may not be for the books, but I promise you that our story is something that is worth sharing. We started off as best friends, into lovers, then we went back to being strangers," we both laughed. "Until finally, after waiting for the right time—His time, we found our way back home. Remember when we visited a church in Tagaytay? Remember those times when you kept on reminding me to pray, to talk to Him, and to wait for His right timing? That's when I knew that you were the one."
"Stop messing around, Cole," she complained, still crying.

I smiled. "I'm not messing with you, baby," I said. "You know how much I value my time but you are the only one that I'm willing to wait for—the one that I'm willing to love with all my heart—the one I'm willing to experience life's Ferris wheel ride with. If you ask me about the things that I loved about you? I only have one answer for it, Tash," I declared.

Everyone laughed. "Whipped!"

We both laughed with them and she asked, "Okay, shoot."

"It's how you made Him the center of your life—the center of our relationship," I stated with tears starting to fall from my eyes. "This is probably not the best proposal vow out there but everything that I said came from my heart, Tash. I may not promise you a life full of bursts of sunshine as we both know that life is like a Ferris wheel, there will always be ups and downs but I do promise you that I'll stay by your side and hold your hand the whole ride. It's us against the world, baby."

She wouldn't stop crying so I had to make this quick. I never liked the idea of her crying, especially if it is because of me. I kissed the back of her hand and said, "With or without a proper label, I'm committed to what we have. My Anastasia, my best friend, my sunrise, my sunset, and my home..." I drew a deep breath and smiled. "Will you marry me?" I asked. "Uwi ka na, baby," I said using my awkward tagalog accent but I didn't mind.

"Shet! Nawa'y lahat!" Gabbi shouted.

Mitch laughed and gave Celestine a thumbs up. "Uwi ka na raw baby hindi na raw siya galit!" She shouted while her husband was smiling at us.

"Of course, it's a yes!" Celestine responded. I slowly slid the ring on her ring finger before giving her hand a kiss. I wrapped my hands around her waist and she wrapped her hands around my neck. I can hear her sobbing which is why I slowly patted her back. Fourthsky continued on singing while Celestine and I were slow dancing.

With His timing and with Him at the center of our love, and after everything that we've been through, we finally found our way back home to each other.

Our friends went straight to Yuriko's crib after my proposal while Celestine and I enjoyed our dinner at the MOA Eye. We just talked about our journey together and how we managed to run back to each other's arms while eating.

But my surprise didn't end there. I got a call from Audrey that Astrid's already at Yuriko's and everything was already set.

I then drove my fiance back to Yuriko's crib. I asked Celestine to go inside first since I still need to park my car. All of our friends are here, that's why the garage was full of cars. I bet she already saw Astrid inside the house.

When I entered the main door, my eyes immediately looked for my fiancé and I saw her by the couch, talking to Astrid.

Everyone had a good time.

It was like we were brought back to the past—when we used to hang out like this. Eat at Yuriko's crib, talk about random stuff in life, and plan our next trips. I missed this. I missed our friends. I missed the people that had my back when everything else was falling down. They looked after Celestine while I was away, making sure that my grandfather wouldn't hurt her.

This is family.

Our family.

<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.7K 1.1K 45
The Lost Souls on Tour: The Second Tour Wants; are something that can drive us to do everything in order to have what we desire. People frequently re...
1.8M 54.3K 34
Broke and unemployed Jade Chimera hits the jackpot when she finds out her dead uncle left his mansion to her. One problem: her uncle's stepson, Kenji...
988K 33.9K 76
[REVISED VERSION: MAY 2024] Coffees and pancakes. Teas and waffles. Two people crossed that created ditto but with dissonance.