Bawat Daan (Puhon Series #1)

By pawsbypages

PUHON SERIES #1. Celestine Lim never wanted to be in a long-term relationship during her college years, not u... More

Bawat Daan
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Epilogue
Love, Bri
Special Chapter

Chapter Thirty-Six

52 7 0
By pawsbypages

#BD36 — Her First Heartbreak

Tito Elli, Celestine's father, was diagnosed with Coronary Artery Disease a month before our moving-up ceremony. They tried to hide it from us but I overheard my parents talking about it. My father, being a surgeon and the owner of St. Andrew's Hospital, offered Celestine's family help with anything that they might need inside the hospital and Tito Elli personally asked my father to keep this a secret from us. My mother didn't want to take any part in their deal since she cares for Celestine, too, but she still did.

I went straight home right after my basketball training with hopes of having an honest conversation with my mother regarding the things that I heard from them. Once I entered our house, I immediately saw her sipping on her tea while dad was reading something on his laptop. I kissed my mother's cheek before grabbing a glass of water in the kitchen.

I seriously need to drink first before talking to her. The things that I've heard bothered me the whole day! I couldn't even focus properly.

I walked back to our living area. "Ma," I softly called my mom with the urge to ask for any updates about Tito Elli's condition.

"Yes, Anak?"

"Is Tito Elli okay now?" I asked and scratched the back of my head.

"Drake," she said with a worried tone. "You heard everything?"

I looked down at my fingers. "Yeah, Ma, I'm sorry."

"Sinabi mo na ba sa kanya?"

"I didn't—hindi ko po sinabi," I replied. "But, how is he? Is he doing well? Perhaps healing from it?"

"There is no cure for CAD pero sinimulan na namin ang treatment niya," dad suddenly answered my question. I thought he couldn't hear us because he was busy reading something from his laptop!

"We have to tell Celestine about this," I said. "If her dad needs to live with it for the rest of his life then we really need to tell her daughter about it. You can't hide it from her forever, dad."

"It is not our story to tell, Anak," dad replied before closing his laptop.

He got a point right there. It was Tita Katherine and Tito Elli's decision after all. I shouldn't meddle with the grown-up's problems but I'm certain that this news could break Celestine's heart into pieces.

I bit my lower lip. "Okay," I answered.

After changing my clothes, I ask dad to drop me off at the nearest mall in our city. I told him about Celestine's asshole boyfriend who bailed on her on their date. What kind of stupid human would do that to her? The owner of the heart that he broke is Celestine Lim, for goodness' sake!

She's a Lim!

[Andito ka na?]

"Yeah, I'll be there in five," I answered while walking as fast as I could.

The movie will start in a few minutes, gosh, why did she even say yes to Lucas? I already told her that he's a total prick. She didn't listen to me and now she's here, in front of a cinema, waiting by herself because some dumb ass man bailed on her.

If they can't treat her right then return her to me.

I'll be the one to treat her the way she deserves to be treated.

"Hey," she laughed when she saw me walking near her but I know that it was a fake one.

"You okay?" She slightly nodded her head but I won't buy that.

I asked her to enter the cinema first. I hate how she tries to force a smile on me. I've known her my whole life, what's the point of lying to my face? I could see everything through her eyes. I'm pretty sure she knows that already. That's exactly why I'm planning to surprise her with our favorite mashed potato from KFC.

While I was waiting in line for my order, I heard a familiar voice laugh behind my back. "So, you're here?"

Of all people, why should it be Kelsey?

"Kelsey," I acknowledge her presence.

She's alone. Maybe she went here for her beauty appointment again—she loves Fridays because it is her pamper day. I used to accompany her in her nail appointments, eyelashes, and even her hair appointments which made me realize that I hate waiting.

I value my time so much.

"You're with her, right?" I furrowed my brows. "I heard from Zoey."

I nodded my head. "Congratulations in advance."

Our moving-up ceremony is a few days from now. We broke up but I value friendships a lot which is why I tried to save whatever was left of us. Kelsey has always been good to me but I can't force myself to be with her while my heart is with Celestine.

I won't do that to Kelsey or to anyone.

"Thank you, Drake," she responded. "Congratulations."

The movie was already starting when I entered the cinema. My eyes quickly found Celestine munching on the popcorn she bought earlier. I gave her the mashed potato I bought from KFC and she hugged me out of excitement.

Gosh, my heart is beating so fast.

"You're the best!" She started clapping her hands.

"Shh!" The woman behind us muttered.

The movie was good. Celestine and I have the same taste in everything which is why I liked the movie she chose for us—or for Lucas. I was about to ask her if she wanted to eat dinner with me when her phone suddenly rang. It was a call from her mother, Tita Katherine.

"Mommy? I'm with Kuya po."

I excused myself to give her some space. After her call, I asked if Tita was looking for her already but she just shrugged.

"Sa inyo na raw tayo dumiretso."

"Okay."

When we arrived in front of our house's gate, I saw how confused Celestine was while staring at her mother's car inside our garage. I was also confused but then I saw Tito Elli talking to my dad when we went inside the house.

I knew it.

Is this some sort of dinner meeting?

"Pa." I held dad's hand to make mano like what Celestine did. "Tito."

I heard Tita Katherine's voice from the dining area. "The food is ready!"

While we were eating, I tried to read everyone's mind by observing their movements. I have a feeling that this dinner is about Tito Elli's condition and if I am right then good for them.

Keeping this a secret from Celestine won't do them any good.

The dinner ended without them bringing the topic about Tito Elli. I was disappointed but I shouldn't stick my nose where it does not belong. People always say that mother's know best. Maybe it's true and maybe not but at the end of the day, they just want to protect us.

***

"Congratulations, Mga Anak!" My mother congratulated us while our father was smiling beside us, holding a flower for Audrey and Celestine.

"Congratulations, Drake!" Tito Elli said with a huge smile on his face. "Congratulations, Audrey!"

"Thank you, Tito!" Celestine responded when my father gave her the bouquet of flowers.

We ate at our favorite restaurant for lunch. They called the restaurant beforehand to reserve a huge circle table for us—to celebrate as a family, as our parents say. Celestine was sitting in between Tita Katherine and Tito Elli while I was sitting beside my father and Audrey sitting in between our parents.

"Bakit kasi hindi ka nalang sa amin mag trabaho?" My mom asked Tita Katherine.

Tita Katherine chuckled. "Para namang hindi mo kilala ang tatay mo, Tammy."

I could feel the awkwardness between our parents which is why I tried to divert the topic. It must be something about their past relationships. Unfortunately, my grandfather loves manipulating the people around him.

"It's on me," Tito Elli insisted on paying for our bill.

Dad shook her head while looking for his credit card inside his wallet. "I was the one who called for a reservation, I should be the one to pay."

Audrey and Celestine were looking at each other while laughing at our father's current situation. These two can talk with their eyes—perks of being sisters, I guess? Not by blood though.

"Ako na," Tita Katherine interfered and handed her credit card to the waitress. "Hindi na naman kayo matatapos sa pagtatalo d'yan."

I saw how my mom glanced at my dad with pain in her eyes. I sometimes hate my dad for hurting my mom like that. If he's still in love with Tita Katherine then why the hell did he marry my mom? It's so messed up, really.

***

There's nothing new in senior high except for the fact that the subject became harder than before which I totally expected. Sad to say but the three of us aren't in the same section. I asked my mom to do something about it but she said that I should learn to live my life with or without the two malditas; that there's nothing wrong with giving the closest person in your life—of course, except for my sister, a space.

She even told me that Celestine might get sawa if I'm always near her!

The workload in senior high is crazy. What more in college? In medical school? Good thing I don't find studying boring. When our subject professor dismissed us, I fixed my stuff and stood outside Celestine's room. As usual, Mr. Scott dismissed them late, probably the reason why Celestine's brows are furrowed. Kelsey and Zoey are both in the same section as Celestine while Asher's in my section. I even got fuming mad when I heard that Lucas, the cheater asshole, is in the same section as my sister.

"Saan tayo kakain?" Celestine asked while fixing her seatbelt.

I got my driver's license last month. Dad got me a car so that he won't need to pick us up from school anymore. According to our parents, we should learn how to do things on our own because they can't be by our side at all times. Be independent. Be responsible. But I can't deny the fact that dad's being too unfair with Audrey. She's months older than me so technically, she can get her license and her own car too but dad doesn't want her to drive. Although mom promised Audrey a car next year, for our graduation.

"Where do you wanna eat?"

"Ako unang nagtanong then you'll pass it on me again?"

"I heard from Zoey that you passed out earlier. Sleep deprived and dehydrated." I shook my head in disappointment.

"That freaking research paper kasi! Mr. Scott kept on giving it back to us! He kept on saying that we should revise this part then this then that like what the actual fuck?" She ranted like someone stole her lollipop.

I shrugged. "He has always been like that," I replied.

"Yeah, we shouldn't normalize that though?"

"He's doing that for us, too, you know? For us to learn."

"Okay? Thought you're my best friend! You should back me up and not scold me like Mr. Scott." I saw how she rolled her eyes on me.

This woman is damn good at messing with my head.

I glanced at her and stifled a laugh. "I always got your back, Tash."

"No, you don't," she backfired. "Mas kinakampihan mo pa nga si Mr. Scott kaysa sa 'kin!"

I tried to hide my smile with my hand but I just can't! She looks so cute whenever she acts like a kid who was deprived of her favorite candy.

Geez, she even crossed her arms!

"Anastasia, I'll defend you in public but I'll correct you in private," I said.

"Okay," she replied before walking past me.

"Okay?"

"Oo, okay. Sabi mo, e."

"Are you mad?"

Her brows furrowed. "What? No!"

"Really?" I grabbed her wrist to stop her from walking away.

She looked up a little to have a nicer view of my eyes. "Yes, really."

"Okay then," I said, believing her this time.

After eating, we went back to school to pick Audrey up. She stayed in school for her dance training. That's why we had to eat outside without her. Although we still asked her to come with us, she declined after staring at Celestine for so long.

Are they not on good terms?

"Quinn." I kissed the top of my sister's head. "How's your day?"

"It's okay, Kuya, nothing new," she answered.

"Hungry?"

"Super!" She frowned. "Coach wants us to bring home the bacon again for this season. It's super nakakapagod, you know?"

"I'm proud of you," I cheered her up.

She winked at me before entering the back of my car. "I know you do."

I was about to close the door of my car which I opened for Audrey when I saw our friends walking towards us. Lucas is with them as well. I clenched my jaw, trying to control my temper because I pretty sure am that both Celestine and Audrey's eyes are on us.

I walked away from my car to meet them half-way.

"Dude!" Asher, being the noisiest friend of mine, started spilling tea about how mad I was when I heard the news regarding Lucas's cheating ass.

"Drake," Zoey called my name.

"Yes?"

"Party? My house," she said.

"I'll ask the girls first," I replied.

I hope those two would say no to this. I don't really have the energy to put up a show knowing that Lucas is in the same room with me.

"C'mon, it's sayang naman," Kelsey butted in.

"Conyo na 'yan, p're! She's practicing it for college," Asher explained.

"Medina," Lucas said with fear written all over his face while walking towards us after answering a call.

"Asher," I called Asher's name, ignoring Lucas's presence.

"Oh? Have a problem or something?"

"Yes, with that prick." I glanced at Lucas who's talking to Zoey and Kelsey. "I won't go to the party if he'll be there."

"Bro, I know you're mad at him for hurting Celest; Trust me, I am, too," he said.

"Okay?" I gave him a confused look.

"Which means I need to control my temper, too. Hindi lang ikaw ang nahihirapan, let's just go for Zoey."

"Fine," I surrendered. "Let's ask the girls first. They're inside the car."

Zoey's still our friend. I'm sure Celestine would say that as well.

"Uy, Asher!" Celestine greeted Asher and did their handshake.

"Boss Celest!" Asher laughed. "Uy, Audrey!"

Audrey rolled her eyes. "If you'll tease me lang because I'm conyo, might as well leave."

"Geez, calm down. Why are you so sungit again?" Asher asked Audrey while clenching his hand near his chest.

"Gutom na 'yan," Celestine explained.

After changing our clothes at home, we dropped by Celestine's house to pick her up. Both of her parents are at work which is why she left without asking them for permission. Audrey scolded her about it already. Celestine's not like this before, not until Lucas broke her heart on the very first week of our senior year.

There's a lot of people inside, it was even hard to move because of the drunk people dancing. I stopped walking when someone accidentally hit Audrey's arm, I gave the stranger a death glare. I hate it when someone hurts my sister—consciously deciding on it or not.

"D-Drake Medina?" The drunk stranger recognized my face. "Fuck. Everybody move!"

Everyone started moving away, giving us enough space to walk towards our friend's table. Celestine suddenly teased me about being a gangster who rides a skateboard like the character in the Filipino love story movie we watched last summer.

"Cole," Celestine called my attention. "Tito Jake's calling." She showed me her phone and I saw my father's name in it.

Why would he call Celestine? I told them about this party before Audrey and I left home.

We found a quiet area near Zoey's house, and Celestine answered the call. I stood there beside her while she was talking to my dad.

"P-po?" Celestine looked at me with fear in her eyes.

"What happened?" I mouthed.

"O-okay. We'll be there as soon as we can, Tito," Celestine said with a hint of nervousness, fear, and pain in his voice.

"Let's go," I quickly said without even waiting for an explanation from her.

Audrey got a call too, we saw her waiting for us beside my car. Celestine was silent the whole trip back to our house. Both of my parents are waiting for us outside, with cops and an attorney. I felt Celestin's hand tremble when I held it to calm her down.

"Breathe, Anastasia," I calmly advised. "I'm right here. Audrey, too."

It felt like the world was ending when I saw her burst into tears. She lost her balance, making me hold onto her waist for support. The wind brushing to my skin suddenly felt so cold while listening to my father's explanation while trying to calm my mother down.

"T-tita Katherine was kidnapped?" Audrey asked with a trembling voice.

"I'm sorry, Celestine, hindi ko alam," my mother cried while apologizing to Celestine.

Celestine wiped her tears. "Si daddy? Which hospital po, Tito?" She asked.

"St. Andrew's," dad replied. "I'll go with you."

Audrey wiped her tears, too. "Go with them, Kuya. I'll stay with mama."

Celestine cried again when he saw her father fighting for his life. I looked away, not wanting to see Tito Elli in that state. It made me feel so mad at my grandfather, my own blood, for causing harm to Tito Elli and his family.

"Daddy..." She cried. "Please, fight for us, okay? Fight for me, Daddy."

I took a step back, trying to prevent my tears from falling. My father tapped my back. "Son."

"Our family did that to Tito," I said without any emotion.

"It was just your grandfather, not us, Drake."

"It's still our blood that is at fault, Pa."

"Shh... I'm sorry, Son."

"W-why did lolo kidnapped Tita Kath? Is it because of your past relationship with her? For goodness' sake! That was decades ago already!" I couldn't hold on any longer, my tears started to fall.

My father drew a deep breath. "Nalaman ng lolo mo ang tungkol sa pagtulong namin ng mama mo sa mga Lim."

"What's the problem with that? They didn't even ask for it, Pa! They don't even need it! We were the ones who insisted on helping... but why are they being punished for it?"

"Your grandfather... only cared about the reputation of the Javiers," he ranted. "I'm so sorry. This is all my fault."

24 hours passed by but Celestine was still silent. She's just sitting here beside me, waiting for her father to wake up. I bought us food but she didn't even touch it. I gently leaned her head on my shoulder when I saw her resting it against the wall behind our back.

"You need to eat, Anastasia, please?"

"Busog pa ako."

"Kahit konti lang," I insisted—trying to make her laugh a little with my Filipino accent but she just gave me a small laugh.

"Okay, tapos umuwi ka na muna." She forced a smile. "Tita Tamara needs you."

I shook my head. "I'll stay here."

"Cole..."

"Tash, I'll stay here. Audrey's with mama, I'll go home later."

"Okay," she said before laughing a little. "I thought Lucas was my first heartbreak but all this time, it was him pala." She pointed at her father using her lips.

"I'm sorry..."

She smiled weakly. "My first heartbreak."

"Tito Elli's a fighter, hmm?"

She looked at me and I saw how her tears started to build up in her eyes. "I'm scared, Cole," she cried.

"It's okay to be scared."

"I can't lose my dad..."

"You won't, hmm? He's a fighter and we will fight, too."

She nodded slowly. "Thank you."

"We found your mom," I whispered while hugging her tight. "Mama hired a private investigator for it. Tita Kath's safe now, she's in our house."

Her eyes lit up. "Let's go home first. Balik mo 'ko rito mamaya."

"Okay," I agreed to her plan and gave her forehead a kiss.

<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.8K 1.2K 33
Eira Demetria De La Rosa always wanted to become the best of all. She believed that skills are the primary criteria to climb up the ladder. Having Ha...
2.5K 204 50
VESTIBULUM ARCU SERIES no. 3 Gwen Cortez, a beautiful, fierce and talented college student stopped believing in the power of love after her heartbrea...
6.2K 150 40
Luziel Janaria Clementine always hoped for the boy she loved, although she admired him from afar. Kumbaga, umaasa siya sa crush niya kahit hindi siya...
7.1K 330 33
JIRAANAN SERIES #2 In this Wealthy Family, Jacques is the first grandchild and carried most of the family and social pressure. His life changed when...