Hawthorne

By melvauthor

Camila has lived and worked all her life in Hawthorne Manorhouse. It's all she's ever known along with the ki... More

HAWTHORNE - Introduction
Prologue - Break-Down
1 - Last Goodbye
2 - Duties
3 - Heir
4 - Moving in
5 - Late nights
6 - Family dinner
7 - Eat
8 - Letter
9 - Succumb
10 - Deal
11- Realization
12 - First time
14 - On your knees
15 - Bend over
16 - Royal Baby
17 - We're better off
18 - Calm to my storm
19 - Friends and Allies
20 - Feels too right
21 - Picnic
22 - Not bogeyman
23 -Invitation
24 -Official Duties
25 - College Reunion
26 - Crazy
27 - Cherishing
28- Hawthorne's Tribute Lunch
29 - Unexpected Guests
30 - London
31 - Early Christmas Gift
32 - New Year's Ball
33 - I'll find a way
34 - The truth
35 - I love you
36 - No way out
37 - Beginning of the end
38 - Shattered
39 - Lawyer up
40 - Recognition
41 - Free but at what cost?
42 - Chance
43 - Coronation
44 - Loyalty
45 - One last dance
46 - No
47 - Everything but that
48 - No charity case
49 - By the end of the Night
Epilogue

13 - Brotherly

3.3K 105 30
By melvauthor

Never in my life had I thought I would have to sneak out and do the walk of shame after having important someone. Yet, here I am, tiptoeing around this old and creaky manor, hoping no one has stayed behind.

This was the best sex I've ever had in my life and that man has horse stamina for sure. It was an extreme challenge to stay awake and after we stopped in round...

I lost count.

The thing is, it wasn't even two minutes later when the Duke started to snore softly and tried to snuggle into me. Pretty surprising for someone who was adamant that couldn't offer me more than just sex.

But dear God, that man wore me down.

So much so that the moment I get to the bedroom the only thing I can do is fall on the bed and fall asleep. The last thing I feel is Primrose's warmth pressing onto my belly as I lul into a deep sleep up until the irritating alarm clock brings me back to reality.

I am going over the menu for the next week with Mariah when the butler announces the arrival of the Duke's younger brother.

"Prepare some biscuits, two pieces of that dessert I did earlier and do the Assam Tea today," I ask her. "I'll come back to tell you where to serve them, alright?"

She nods and turns to the cupboard, starting the task I just gave her while I head to the main visit room, where Edgar Hawthorne is already in, standing.

"Your Grace," I greet.

"Camilla, how lovely to see you."

"You're very kind, Your Grace," I smile shyly. "Do you want me to call your brother? He should be up by now, I think."

"I can wait," he gives me a dashing smile and I can't help but blush. "Why don't you keep me some company while we wait for him?"

"Uh," I stutter. "I had Mariah prepare something to serve you both I need to find him and see where she should -"

"Sweetheart isn't this where visits are received? Let her serve it here." He sits down on the velvet royal blue couch in the room. "Now sit here next to me and let me know more about you."

"I don't-"

"Nonsense, my brother will probably take a long time. Now," he tugs at my hand, making me sit down next to him. "How has it been working for him? is he a real pain in the ass to you like he was to me?"

You wouldn't say this man is nobility and raised to hold a specific standard of etiquette with the way he's talking to me like we're "old buddies".

"It's been surprising," I start.

"How so?"

"He's given me a lot of autonomy and is fine with letting me run things as they were before, mostly."

"Is that so? Intriguing, since my brother has always wanted things done his way."

"And he does," I confirm.

"Hmm, now tell me about you."

"Me? There's nothing to-"

"Oh, I don't think so. So, tell me, Camilla, why is a beautiful woman like you staying as a housekeeper? Is there anything else you'd like to work as?"

"Ahm, I am a biologist - well, I haven't worked in the field yet. The Duchess fell ill when I was about to start an internship so, I decided to just care for her instead."

"Selfless, hm..." he mumbles.

"What?"

"Oh nothing, dear. You're fascinating, tell me more." His pearly white teeth show in a dazzling smile just as his ankle is placed on his knee.

"That won't be necessary," the Duke's voice sounds, stunning me to place.

Edgar turns towards his brother right away, who is approaching us while buttoning his button-up's handcuffs.

"Dear brother, you're finally here. Come join us, I was just getting to know Camilla. What a lovely lady you've got here." His words make me blush violently.

The charm runs in the family, it seems. Though Edgar is much more straightforward and cheekier than Vincent, they're both self-assured and know how to play their cards right.

Vincent eyes me for a moment before focusing on the space between Edgar and me. I have to admit, it's not much because he pushed me down next to him but I didn't think of it until Vincent's eyes jump to his brother's in a glare.

"Stop harassing my staff, little brother, I am sure Camilla has more important things to do than deal with you," he huffs.

My eyes trail his body up and down. With each step he takes, I can't help but look at his bulging muscles. Those big defined arms were wrapped around me last night while those stronger thighs were...

Stop Camilla, do NOT think about these things during work.

Easier said than done, my eyes are back on him in less than a minute. This time, I notice how the white button-up strains against his tanned skin, and for the first time, I don't see it topped by a tie. It's unbuttoned at the top as if he had just dressed.

Edgar must have noticed it too because he comments, "Sleeping in? Who are you? What have you done with my brother?"

"Shut up," the Duke sighs. "I've had a late night."

I can't help but blush, especially when he steals a heated glance at me.

"I'll have the things served then," I say before scurrying off.

One would think that after that thorough night of ours, the attractions would be out of our systems but by the way, I can't keep my eyes off of him and how heated his eyes are every time I see him look at me, it seems that we did the other way around.

Once I close the door behind me, I linger for a couple of moments inadvertently listening to the brothers.

"What was that?" Edgar asks.

"What was what?"

"Did you just eye-fuck your housekeeper? In front of me?"

"Don't be stupid Edgar, Camilla's not like that," the Duke answers.

My heart squeezes in a bittersweet way. Somehow he's defending me, even to his brother when we both know I am like that. A wave of guilt crashes against my heart and forces me to take a deep breath.

Do not let emotions rule your decisions.

The late Duchess' voice rings inside my head, helping me avoid panicking and also making me realize that I let my attraction for Vincent rule my decisions last night and I messed up. Big time.

"Well, that's unfortunate because I have some good news for you," Edgar's voice sounds, slightly lower, forcing me to perk up at his words.

I shouldn't even be listening here.

"Another rumour of yours?"

"Well, yes, but as you know, the source is trustworthy. It's about the King."

Ok no, this is where I draw the line.

I will not listen behind doors, to politics and royal matters. I don't have any kind of interest in it. Technically, I shouldn't even be listening behind doors, period.

Forcing my feet to walk towards the kitchen, in a hurried step, I meet Mariah there. She's wrapping up the biscuits and tea on a silver tray and I head for the fridge and prepare two servings of Japanese Cheesecake paired with some strawberry jam.

"What is that cake?" Mariah asks curiously.

"Japanese cheesecake. I like to try new things. I've made an extra one for the staff, get yourself one slice and make sure to share with the rest, alright?"

She nods eagerly and I take the tray back to serve the two Hawthorne brothers.

When I get to the door, I press the tray slightly between the wall and my hip so I can balance it with only one hand and knock on the door. It opens after a few moments, revealing Edgar's grinning face.

"Look, my new favourite girl is back!"

"I've come to give you guys something to snack on until lunchtime. Will you be staying for lunch, Your Grace?"

"Yes."

"No."

Both brothers say at the same time.

"My brother is too busy to stay for lunch, right Edgar?"

Edgar's shoulders deflate when he answers, "If you insist dear brother," he says sarcastically. "I wouldn't mind pushing my agenda to taste Camilla's amazing cooking."

"Oh, I don't always cook. They're my mom's recipes and I've perfected them but I only cook when I have the time to, or when the chef's on a day off."

I try to explain as I set the things on the table before Vincent. Edgar joins his brother on the couch and eyes the food.

"What's that?" he points at the cheesecake.

"It's Japanese cheesecake that I made earlier this morning." I smile and Edgar eagerly takes the slice to his side, tasting it.

"This morning? How early were you up?" Vincent asks with a quirked eyebrow.

On the outside, one wouldn't understand the weight of his question but I do.

In the background, Edgar moans at the taste of the cake. Well, at least it's tasty.

"At five in the morning, your grace, just like every other day," I smile guiltily at him and he nods tightly.

"What?" Edgar's eyes widen at my words. "You start that early? Vincent, give this woman a damn raise or cut her some slack. By the way darling, this is bloody delicious, can you prepare some for me to take?"

"Yes," I answer and at the same time the Duke answers, "No."

He looks at me before answering in a grunt, "Get your own housekeeper,"

Then he takes a bite of his piece, with his eyes still locked on mine. I am frozen in place under his scorching gaze on me, inspecting every little detail and fault. But I can't, for the life of me, move.

All the while, Edgar seems unbothered or unaware of the sudden tension filling the room.

"I have one dear brother but you forget, I still live with mom and our housekeeper is dear old Alice."

"Then move out, stop being a baby. You're twenty-four already." He answers before taking another bite, still focused on me.

"And be responsible? Nah, I'll leave that for when you become King," he jokes but I can't help but freeze.

Is he going to be King? He said there was a possibility but I had hoped...

I am so foolish, I don't know what the hell I am getting myself into.

"If I become King," Vincent says after clearing his throat. It's enough to cuts off my spiralling thought with an intense gaze and refutes his brother's words.

He's scratching at his jaw, the sound of it going against his trimmed facial hair, reminding me of all the wicked things we did last night.

How his hands touched my body, sometimes gentle sometimes rough; how his five o'clock shadow scratched at my skin, especially my chest when I was riding him.

"Well, if you never get to be King, I'll just keep living my best life then," Edgar says. I can hear his voice and understand what he's saying but I am not paying that much attention honestly. Everything around Vincent is a blur at this point.

All I can think about is him and what we have done and how good it felt.

"What's going on?" Edgar's voice had risen a few octaves, snapping me - and Vincent it seems - out of the trance.

Vincent's head snaps to the side, looking at his brother slightly alarmed while I stand flustered at the realization that we've probably been caught.

So much for, keeping it between the both of us.

Damn hormones.

"I-if you don't need me any longer, I'll go. It was lovely to see you, your Grace," I bow and turn around, heading for the door.

"I'd like you to meet me in my office after lunch Camilla, we have to go through the menu," Vincent says.

I exit quietly and close the door before leaning against the wall to stop for a moment and take a deep breath.

"You have the hots for the housekeeper," Edgar exclaims in a cheerful tone. "If mom were to find out she'd throw a huge fit! I dare say, disown you! Oh god, this is outrageous! I love it!"

"Shut up, Edgar," Vincent answers aggravated.

This is bad but I can't help but giggle silently at the brother's antics. Purposefully choosing to ignore the big consequence that will come out of this. Because they will, it's just a matter of time and all I can do is prepare myself.

👑 A u t h o r ' s     N o t e 👑

I tend to forget a lot about side characters and they are important to make the MC's human... so bear with me as I try to remember that!! 😅

Also, I love Edgar, he is a smooth charmer 😏

What are you thinking so far?

Thank you so much for giving this a chance!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 41.3K 52
Ranked #1 in adventureedition Ranked #27 in justwriteit *** His hands moved up my thighs seductively. "You're mine......" his voice was nothing but...
7.1K 350 51
I'm not ready for what I see when I walk in on my girlfriend of three years, Sienna Rowe, having sex with my best friend, Will Aderly. It shatters m...
4.7M 65.2K 28
[18+ Only, Mature Conent] * * "We shouldn't be doing this...." I moan against his lips as my hands tug at the zipper of his pants. "I know." His dee...
1M 14.2K 89
'What am I to you? I want to hear you say it?' 'You are my Daddy?' I replied hoarsely, my whole body trembling slightly. 'And what are you to me?'...