𝒊𝒗. 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐘𝐎𝐔

By grxcisxhy

☞︎ Yᴏᴜ sʜᴀʟʟ ᴅᴇʟᴠᴇ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʀᴋɴᴇss ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅʟᴇss ᴍᴀᴢᴇ, Tʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴀᴅ, ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴀɪᴛᴏʀ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴏsᴛ ᴏɴᴇ ʀᴀɪsᴇ. Yᴏᴜ sʜ... More

Disclaimer
𝒊.
𝒊𝒊.
𝒊𝒊𝒊.
𝒊𝒗.
𝒗.
𝒗𝒊.
𝒗𝒊𝒊.
𝒗𝒊𝒊𝒊.
𝒊𝒙.
𝒙.
𝒙𝒊.
𝒙𝒊𝒊𝒊.
𝒙𝒊𝒗.
𝒙𝒗.
𝒙𝒗𝒊.
𝒙𝒗𝒊𝒊.
𝒙𝒗𝒊𝒊𝒊.
𝒙𝒊𝒙.

𝒙𝒊𝒊.

667 27 15
By grxcisxhy

Noelle, with her enhanced vision in the dark, could see ground rushing towards her. She managed to muster up enough strength to transform into a bird, slowing her fall and gliding into the small room awaiting her at the end of her fall. 

As she turned back into her normal self, she cursed herself for not thinking of using her shapeshifting earlier. Now she was trapped in a dark, dusty room of the labyrinth with no food or water. She wouldn't last more than two days.

At this realization, she curled up into a ball on the floor, willing herself not to cry because it would only dehydrate her faster. She didn't know when she fell asleep, but when she woke up there were two new tunnels leading out of the room she was in.

She listened carefully for any sign of something dangerous down either of them. The one on the left was silent, and, for some reason, much darker than the other. The right one had a faint pitter patter as if it was raining or there were a drip of water.

Noelle noticed just how dry her mouth was listening to the right tunnel, and she realized the labyrinth was catering to her impending doom of malnutrition. So, as much as she wanted to find water, she couldn't trust the labyrinth and she chose to go into the left tunnel.

She unsheathed her knife, using its faint silver glow to help guide her through the tunnels. She had to have been down there for hours, meaning days or weeks had passed by up above. She kept going through tunnels, listening carefully to each option when at a crossroads.

A few twists in turn into her journey, Noelle came upon a room that looked like an ancient Greek wedding alter. It was crumbling slightly, but she could tell that's what it was. As she walked forwards, stepping into the middle of it, she felt her heart ache because she didn't know if she'd ever get to see her own wedding day.

"Hey, don't think like that," a familiar voice said from inside her head.

She didn't know why but she felt like she needed to turn around. When she did, tears immediately sprung to her eyes.

"You're not real," she whispered. "I'm hallucinating from the dehydration and malnutrition."

"Sure, I'm not real," Percy's voice said in her head, but his hallucinated image moved as if it were really him talking. "That doesn't mean I can't tell you what you need to hear."

"What? That I'm going to die?" Noelle laughed humorlessly. "I already know that."

"You're stronger than you think, Noelle. You have more power in you than you know."

"No, I don't," she said dejectedly to the hallucination. "I'm weak. If I were strong I wouldn't be down here."

"The labyrinth is trying to trick you," Hallucination-Percy said. "But you've been smarter than it. You're closer to camp than you think."

"If you're just my subconscious, then how do you know this and I don't?"

"You do know it," he insisted. "You're just too much in your own head."

She scoffed. "That's ironic."

"Noelle, you have the power to get to camp from here. You just need to concentrate."

Noelle scowled at the hallucination before giving in to her subconscious and closing her eyes, concentrating on camp. She didn't know how, but she knew to think of the entrance to labyrinth that was in the woods. She felt the telltale signs of her beginning to teleport before she was blinded by the daylight, her legs giving out from under her.

~

Hours later, Percy's raft washed up at Camp Half-Blood. How he got there from Ogygia, he had no idea. At some point the lake water just changed to salt water. The familiar shoreline of Long Island appeared up ahead, and a couple of friendly great white sharks surfaced and steered him toward the beach. 

When he landed, the camp seemed deserted. It was late afternoon, but the archery range was empty. The climbing wall poured lava and rumbled all by itself. Pavilion: nothing. Cabins: all vacant. Then he noticed smoke rising from the amphitheater. Too early for a campfire, and he didn't figure they were roasting marshmallows. He ran toward it. 

Before Percy even got there he heard Chiron making an announcement. When he realized what the centaur was saying, he stopped in his tracks. 

"—assume they are dead," Chiron said. "After so long a silence, it is unlikely our prayers will be answered. I have asked their best surviving friend to do the final honors." 

Percy came up on the back of the amphitheater. Nobody noticed him. They were all looking forward, watching as Annabeth took a long green silk burial cloth, embroidered with a trident, and set it on the flames. They were burning his shroud. 

Another shroud laid waiting for its own turn to be burned. This burial cloth was silver and embroidered with a moon. Percy felt his heart ache as he assumed who it was for. He would never get to say it back.

Annabeth turned to face the audience, giving Percy's shroud time to burn before she would move on to Noelle's. She looked terrible. Her eyes were puffy from crying, but she managed to say, "He was probably the bravest friend I've ever had. He . . ." Then she saw him. Her face went blood red. "He's right there!" 

Heads turned. People gasped. 

"Percy!" Beckendorf grinned. A bunch of other kids crowded around him and clapped him on the back. He heard a few curses from the Ares cabin, but Clarisse just rolled her eyes, like she couldn't believe he'd had the nerve to survive. Chiron cantered over and everyone made way for him. 

"Well," he sighed with obvious relief. "I don't believe I've ever been happier to see a camper return. But you must tell me—" 

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?" Annabeth interrupted, shoving aside the other campers. Percy thought she was going to punch him, but instead she hugged him so fiercely she nearly cracked his ribs. The other campers fell silent. Annabeth seemed to realize she was making a scene and pushed him away. "We thought you were dead, Percy!" 

"I'm sorry," he said. "I got lost." 

"LOST?" she yelled. "Two weeks, Percy? Where in the world—" 

"Annabeth," Chiron interrupted. "Perhaps we should discuss this somewhere more private, shall we? The rest of you, back to your normal activities! We will postpone the rest of the ceremony for a later time!" 

Without waiting for them to protest, he picked up Annabeth and Percy as easily as if they were kittens, slung them both onto his back, and galloped off toward the Big House. 

~

Percy didn't tell them the whole story. He just couldn't bring myself to talk about Calypso. He explained how he'd caused the explosion at Mount St. Helens and gotten blasted out of the volcano. He told them he'd been marooned on an island. Then Hephaestus had found him and told him he could leave. A magic raft had carried him back to camp. 

All that was true, but as he said it his palms felt sweaty. 

"You've been gone two weeks." Annabeth's voice was steadier now, but she still looked pretty shaken up and a bit upset. "When we heard the explosion, I thought—"

"We?" Percy asked hopefully. "Noelle was with you? Where is she?"

Annabeth and Chiron shared a sad look at the mention of the daughter of Artemis.

"We don't know," Chiron admitted. "She's been gone just as long as you have."

Annabeth told him what happened, trying her best to keep her voice from cracking.

Percy visibly deflated. "So you think she's dead?"

Chiron nodded solemnly at the boy who simply stared in front of him as he accepted the news.

Percy was the one who ended up breaking the silence. "I figured out how to get through the Labyrinth. I talked to Hephaestus." 

"He told you the answer?" Annabeth asked. 

"Well, he sort of told me that I already knew. And I do. I understand now." 

He told them his idea. 

Annabeth's jaw dropped. "Percy, that's crazy!"

Chiron sat back in his wheelchair and stroked his beard. "There is precedent, however. Theseus had the help of Ariadne. Harriet Tubman, daughter of Hermes, used many mortals on her Underground Railroad for just this reason." 

"But this is my quest," Annabeth said. "I need to lead it." 

Chiron looked uncomfortable. "My dear, it is your quest. But you need help." 

"And this is supposed to help? Please! It's wrong. It's cowardly. It's—" 

"Hard to admit we need a mortal's help," Percy said. "But it's true."

Annabeth glared at him. "I can't believe you. You're not even mourning Noelle after you've just found out about what happened, and now you want to go and run off into the labyrinth again where she might've died with a mortal."

Percy's calm façade broke. "You think I'm not upset? I loved her, Annabeth! And I-I never got to tell her."

Percy crumbled to his knees sobbing. Annabeth rushed to him, pulling him into a comforting hug and crying with him, keeping quiet about how she felt similarly to him.

Chiron stood there awkwardly as Will Solace burst into the room. He didn't even take in the two crying teens as he told them the news.

"The labyrinth," he said. "Defenses said someone just popped up out of nowhere."

~

Chiron cantered ahead of the three demigods as Will explained more what happened as they jogged towards the woods.

"They said the person didn't come from labyrinth," he said as they neared the defense lines. "That's part of why they didn't attack. The person just appeared from nowhere and collapsed."

As they reached the defense lines, Beckendorf came up to them. He nodded at the group in front of him.

"Juniper's with her now," he informed them. "That nymph is lucky we didn't fire at her, but she saved the girl's life."

"Girl?" Percy asked, eyes wide with hope. "Is it Noelle?"

Beckendorf gave Percy a sympathetic look before looking up at Chiron. "You might wanna check it out. She's not in the best of conditions."

Chiron nodded. "Come on, Will. I assume we'll need your healing powers."

Beckendorf instructed one of his siblings to lead them to where Juniper and this girl were before her turned back to Percy and Annabeth.

"Well?" Annabeth asked. "Is it her?"

Beckendorf managed a smile. "It's her."

Annabeth breathed a sigh of relief, turning and smiling at Percy. "She's alive."

"But you said she's in bad condition," Percy pointed out. "What's wrong?"

"She's, uh, very malnourished," Beckendorf said. "If she had been down there much longer she would have died."

"Can I see her? Please?" Percy begged, not caring how desperate he sounded.

Beckendorf nodded. "Follow me."

Beckendorf led them around the wall of defenses to where Noelle laid on the ground. Percy could feel his eyes gather with tears again as he took in how much paler and thinner she was than normal. She was surrounded by Chiron, Juniper, and Will, the Apollo boy helping her drink some nectar.

Percy and Annabeth were quick to her side, taking either of her hands. Noelle opened her eyes at the sudden movement. She saw Annabeth first, smiling sleepily up at her.

"Told you I'd see you soon," Noelle croaked.

Annabeth laughed tearily. "You are so dead once you get better."

Noelle's eyes twinkled with humor before she turned to Percy.

"Hi," he said softly, smiling down at her.

"Hi, Seaweed Brain," she said. 

He kissed her hand. "You are never allowed to confess your love to me without letting me say it back ever again."

"Does this mean you love me too?" she teased.

"Of course it does, Wild One."

"Mm, I won't believe you until you say it."

Percy chuckled. "I love you."

She smiled. "I love you, too."

Percy could see Will telling Chiron something out of the corner of his eye before it was just the three demigods left there. 

"Can you help me sit up?" Noelle asked, her voice beginning to sound better.

The other two demigods helped her up. Percy sat behind her with her between his legs so she would have him to lean against if she needed it. Annabeth sat next to them, silently examining her friend's skin for injury.

"How did you get out of the labyrinth?" Annabeth asked. "They said you didn't use the entrance."

Noelle told them about what happened after she had fallen, how she was stuck in the labyrinth and severely dehydrated as she wandered around, how she hallucinated Percy at the ancient Greek alter. Percy couldn't help but smile as she basically said she was thinking of him with her at an alter, but he didn't comment.  

"What about you?" Noelle asked him. "Juniper said you were missing up until an hour ago."

Percy's smile faltered as he recounted what he told Annabeth and Chiron at the Big House. Once again, he didn't mention Calypso, but he felt like Noelle knew when she nodded encouragingly for him to continue whenever he stuttered. She always knew when he wasn't saying something, but she didn't care because he would tell her on his own time.

He also told her about his talk with Hephaestus and how Rachel Elizabeth Dare could be their answer at navigating the labyrinth.

"Please, tell him he's crazy," Annabeth said. "We can't take a mortal in there."

"I trust Percy's judgement, Annabeth," Noelle said. "Besides, Rachel can see through the Mist. That seems to be the key."

Annabeth's face fell and she dropped Noelle's hand. "You can't be serious. I thought you'd side with me."

"Annabeth-" Percy tried.

"No, I don't want to hear it." Annabeth stood up, brushing her jeans off with aggression. "Of course you'd side with your boyfriend. You always do."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Noelle asked.

"I'm just saying-"

"Annabeth, don't do this," Percy said. "Not now."

He and Annabeth shared a look and she knew that he realized this was about something other than Noelle's feelings for Percy. It was about her feelings for Noelle.

Annabeth took a deep breath, forcing herself to calm down. "I need time to think. I'll be in my cabin."

The couple watched the blond walk away, past the defenses and through the trees.

"What was that about?" Noelle asked.

"She's just jealous," Percy said.

"I thought she was past that? That she wasn't jealous of our relationship anymore," Noelle said.

Percy sighed. "That's not what she's jealous of. She's jealous of me."

"You? But why?"

"'Cause you're my girlfriend. Not hers."

"Are you saying...?"

Percy nodded.

Before Noelle could think about that revelation in more depth, Chiron trotted over.

"Good to see you're feeling better, Noelle," he said. "Can you stand?"

"I think so."

With Percy's help, she managed to get to her feet, only slightly leaning on him for support.

Chiron smiled softly at her, relief in his eyes after seeing that she was going to be alright. "Will says you should be back to full strength after a good meal."

"I'll have to thank him later." Noelle smiled.

"Now, onto other matters," the centaur said. "In the morning I will have Argus take the two of you and Annabeth into Manhattan. You might stop by your parents'. They are . . .understandably distraught." 

Percy's heart skipped a beat. All that time on Calypso's island, he'd never even thought how his mom would be feeling. She'd think he was dead. She'd be devastated. What was wrong with him that he hadn't even considered that? 

"Chiron," Percy said, "what about Grover and Tyson? Do you think—" 

"I don't know, my boy." Chiron gazed into the woods. "Juniper is quite distressed. All her branches are turning yellow. The Council of Cloven Elders has revoked Grover's searcher's license in absentia. Assuming he comes back alive, they will force him into a shameful exile." He sighed. "Grover and Tyson are very resourceful, however. We can still hope." 

"I shouldn't have let them run off."

"Grover has his own destiny, and Tyson was brave to follow him. You would know if Grover was in mortal danger, don't you think?" 

"I suppose. The empathy link. But—" 

"There is something else I should tell you both," he said. "Actually two unpleasant things." 

"Great." 

"Chris Rodriguez, our guest . . ." 

Percy remembered what he'd seen in the basement, Clarisse trying to talk to him while he babbled about the Labyrinth. "Is he dead?"

"Not yet," Chiron said grimly. "But he's much worse. He's in the infirmary now, too weak to move. I had to order Clarisse back to her regular schedule, because she was at his bedside constantly. He doesn't respond to anything. He won't take food or drink. None of my medicines help. He has simply lost the will to live." 

Noelle shuddered. She probably knew better than anyone what Chris was feeling, and she had only been along in the Labyrinth for about a day. She was lucky that she hadn't run into Minos or she may have been worse off.

"Could I see him?" she asked. 

Chiron must have sensed that she felt empathic to him and nodded. "After you've eaten. Anyways, the other news is less pleasant still. Quintus has disappeared." 

"Disappeared? How?" Percy asked.

"Three nights ago he slipped into the Labyrinth. Juniper watched him go. It appears you may have been right about him." 

"He's a spy for Luke." Percy told Chiron about the Triple G Ranch—how Quintus had bought his scorpions there and Geryon had been supplying Kronos's army. "It can't be a coincidence." 

Chiron sighed heavily. "So many betrayals. I had hoped Quintus would prove a friend. It seems my judgment was bad." 

"What about Mrs. O'Leary?" Percy asked. 

"The hellhound is still in the arena. It won't let anyone approach. I did not have the heart to force it into a cage . . . or destroy it." 

"Quintus wouldn't just leave her." 

"As I said, Percy, we seem to have been wrong about him. Now, you should prepare yourself for the morning, both of you. You and Annabeth still have much to do."

Percy lead Noelle away the labyrinth entrance and to the dining pavilion, where a tree nymph brought a decent-sized plate of food for her to eat. She told Percy he could leave, sensing he wanted to see the lonely hellhound as well as needing time to himself. So he left, but not without finally pressing a kiss to her lips and telling her he loves her.

After Noelle had finished her food—thanking the nymph as she came to take her plate— she headed towards the Athena cabin. She knocked on the frame of the already open door, seeing only Annabeth inside at her bunk.

Annabeth looked up at the sound. 

"Hey," she said, closing the book she was reading and putting it on her bed. "Come in."

Noelle walked into the cabin, joining Annabeth on her bed. 

"You look better," Annabeth said.

"I feel better," Noelle said. "I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologizing?" Annabeth asked. "I was the one being a bitch."

"You can't help your feelings, Annabeth," Noelle said. 

"Percy told you?"

Noelle nodded. "You could've told me the truth last winter."

"I know. I was just scared," Annabeth admitted.

"Annabeth, you are one of the bravest people I know. You don't have to be scared of me."

"But I know you don't reciprocate my feelings."

Noelle smiled sadly at Annabeth as their eyes met. 

"I'm sorry."

"You can't help your feelings, Noelle," Annabeth repeated. 

Annabeth laid her hand over Noelle's, the blond taking the initiative to interlace their fingers.

"I'm really glad you're okay," Annabeth whispered.

"Can't get rid of me that easily," Noelle joked.

Annabeth chuckled softly before turning to look at Noelle. "Can I kiss you? Just once?"

Noelle met her eyes. "Annabeth, I-" she paused. "Will it help you get over me?"

"No," Annabeth admitted softly, biting her lip. "But I want to know how it feels to do it."

Noelle hadn't even realized Annabeth had moved closer to her, their faces mere centimeters apart. The brunette felt her brows furrow as her best friend's lips met hers. She found herself closing her eyes and kissing back for just a second before she pulled away when the kiss felt nothing like how it felt with Percy. 

When she kissed Percy, Noelle felt like it was just them against the world and that's all they needed. But kissing Annabeth made her feel guilty for not only doing it behind Percy's back, but leading on her best friend as well.

"I'm sorry," Annabeth whispered.

"It's okay," Noelle found herself whispering back. "Just that once, yeah?"

Annabeth nodded.

"Okay. Well, um, I have to go," Noelle said awkwardly. "I was going to visit Chris in the infirmary."

"Right." Annabeth nodded, her lips in a thin line.

She watched Noelle slip her hand out of hers and walk out of the cabin, a sad, far away look in Annabeth's eyes as she watched her go.

~

Noelle was going to visit Chris down in the infirmary, but she already felt the guilt eating away at her. Instead of going to the infirmary, she darted from the Athena cabin to the Poseidon cabin. 

She thanked the gods that she found it empty, sitting on Percy's bed and thinking over what she would tell him. If anyone had looked in on her they might have thought that the labyrinth truly had made her mad. Though it wasn't the labyrinth but rather her best friend's feelings for her.

When Percy finally came into the cabin, Noelle sprung up, not bothering to hide the guilt obviously present on her face.

"Hey, you okay?" Percy asked, pulling her into a hug.

She decided to just rip the band-aid off. "Annabeth kissed me."

Percy pulled away, dropping his touch from her body making her feel impossibly cold.

"What?" he asked.

"She kissed me, but I didn't like it, and I- I felt so guilty so I had to tell you. Please, don't be mad and break up with me," Noelle begged.

"Woah, slow down," Percy said. "I'm not breaking up with you. I'm just shocked. I didn't think it would happen today."

"Wait, what?" Noelle said. "You knew she was going to kiss me?"

"Well, if I was in her position I would. Especially after she thought she watched you die."

"Percy!" Noelle said. "You're making me feel worse."

He chuckled, pulling her into him so her face was pressed to his chest. "I'm sorry, baby."

She moved her head to look up at him. "So, you're not mad?"

He kissed her pouty lips. "Not even a little."

She hummed against his lips as she kissed him again. She could feel his hands traveling lower so she pulled away.

"I may be glad that you're alive and not on some island with a really pretty girl, Seaweed Brain, but I'm still making our first time romantic as hell," she told him.

"You mean almost dying is romantic?" he joked and she smacked his chest.

"Watch it, or you'll be sleeping alone," Noelle warned.

"Yes, ma'am," Percy teased, guiding her to his bunk, placing kisses on her lips along the way.

They lazily made out until Noelle deemed their lips noticeably swollen and red. She turned in his grasp so she was the little spoon as they fell asleep against each other.

~

The next morning Percy made sure Mrs. O'Leary had enough dog biscuits after he walked Noelle to her cabin so she could pack. He asked Beckendorf to keep an eye on the hellhound, which he didn't seem too happy about. Then he hiked over Half-Blood Hill and met Annabeth, Noelle, and Argus on the road.

The three demigods didn't talk much in the van, the air thick with awkward tension that came from them all knowing about the kiss shared between the two girls. Argus never spoke, probably because he had eyes all over his body, including at the tip of his tongue, and he didn't like to show that off. So, they rode in silence.

Annabeth looked queasy, as if she'd barley slept.

"Bad dreams?" Percy asked at last. 

She shook her head. "An Iris-message from Eurytion." 

Noelle looked at the blond for the first time that morning. "Eurytion? Is something wrong with Nico?" 

"He left the ranch last night, heading back into the maze." 

"What? Didn't Eurytion try to stop him?"

"Nico was gone before he woke up. Orthus tracked his scent as far as the cattle guard. Eurytion said he'd been hearing Nico talk to himself the last few nights. Only now he thinks Nico was talking with the ghost again, Minos." Annabeth gave her friend a sad look. "I'm sorry, Noelle."

Noelle's gaze fell to her hands in her lap. "It's not your fault."

"He's in danger," Percy said. 

"No kidding. Minos is one of the judges of the dead, but he's got a vicious streak a mile wide. I don't know what he wants with Nico, but—" 

"That's not what I meant," he interrupted Noelle. "I had this dream last night . . ." He told them about Luke, how he'd mentioned Quintus, and how his men had found a half-blood alone in the maze. 

Annabeth's jaw clenched. "That's very, very bad." 

"So what do we do?" Noelle asked, her voice still upset.

Annabeth raised an eyebrow. "Well, it's a good thing Percy has a plan to guide us, huh?" 

It was Saturday, and traffic was heavy going into the city. They arrived at Percy's apartment around noon. When his mom answered the door, she gave him a hug only a little less overwhelming than having a hellhound jump on you. 

"I told them you were all right," his mom said, but she sounded like the weight of the sky had just been lifted off her shoulders.

"Sally?" a familiar voice called from the kitchen. "Who's at the door?"

When the short woman rounded the corner with a questioning furrow in her brow, Noelle couldn't help the smile that made its way onto her face.

"Emmy," Noelle breathed right before her stepmom crushed her into a hug. "Is Dad here?"

Before Emily could answer, Noelle's father joined them in the small foyer of the apartment. Noelle burrowed into her father's arms, and she felt him kissing her hair.

"I'm so glad you're alright," he whispered. "You had me worried sick."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be," he dismissed her apology.

Noelle felt a gentle hand on her back when Emily spoke, "Maybe we should move to the kitchen, Michael."

They sat down at the kitchen table and Sally insisted on feeding the teens her special blue chocolate-chip cookies while they caught the parents up on the quest. As usual, Percy tried to water down the frightening parts (which was pretty much everything), but somehow that just made it sound more dangerous. 

When he got to the part about Geryon and the stables, Sally pretended like she was going to strangle him. "I can't get him to clean his room, but he'll clean a hundred tons of horse manure out of some monster's stables?"

Annabeth laughed along with Emily and Michael. It was the first time Noelle had heard her laugh in a longtime, and she had to admit it was nice to hear. 

"So," Sally said when Percy was done with the story, "you wrecked Alcatraz Island, made Mount St. Helens explode, and displaced half a million people, but at least you're safe." That's his mom, always looking on the bright side. 

"Yep," he agreed. "That pretty much covers it." 

"I wish Paul were here," she said, half to herself. "He wanted to talk to you and Noelle." 

"Oh, right. The school," Noelle said before looking at her parents. "Sorry about that, by the way."

"What did you tell him?" Percy asked. 

His mom shook her head. "What could I say? He knows something is different about you, Percy. He's a smart man. He believes that you're not a bad person. He doesn't know what's going on, but the school is pressuring him. After all, he got you both admitted there. He needs to convince them the fire wasn't your fault. And since you ran away, that looks bad." 

Noelle was studying him. She looked pretty sympathetic. He knew she'd been in similar situations, she was with him for this one after all. It's never easy for a half-blood in the mortal world. 

"I'll talk to him," Percy promised. "After we're done with the quest. I'll even tell him the truth if you want." 

Sally put her hand on his shoulder. "You would do that?" 

"Well, yeah. I mean, he'll think we're crazy." 

"He already thinks that." 

"Then there's nothing to lose." 

"Thank you, Percy. I'll tell him you'll be home . . ." She frowned. "When? What happens now?" 

Annabeth broke her cookie in half. "Percy has this plan." 

Reluctantly Percy told the adults in the room. 

Michael nodded slowly. "It sounds very dangerous. But it might work." 

"Have you ever been able to see through the Mist?" Noelle asked. 

Her dad sighed. "Not so much now. When I was younger it was easier. That's part of what drew Artemis to me. But yes, I've always been able to see more than was good for me. Just be careful. Promise me you'll be safe."

"We'll try, Mr. Grove," Annabeth said. "Keeping your daughter safe is a big job, though." She folded her arms and glared out the kitchen window. Noelle picked at her napkin and tried not to say anything.

Emily frowned. "What's going on with you two? Have you been fighting?" 

Noelle opened her mouth to say something, but her face grew hot and she found herself unable to speak. She threw a small glance at Percy, silently asking him to save her.

"It's just, um- Well, uh... girl problems?"

Annabeth slapped her forehead to her palm while Noelle buried herself further into her chair.

"I see," Sally said, seeming to understand what happened despite Percy's terrible explanation. She exchanged a look with Emily, who also recognized the situation.

"Well, remember," the younger woman said, "Grover and Tyson are counting on you three." 

"I know," Annabeth and Noelle said at the same time, which embarrassed them even more. 

Sally smiled. "Percy, you'd better use the phone in the hall. Good luck."

Emily pushed her empty glass towards her husband after Percy was out of sight. "Could you get me a refill. Oh, and I think I left my glasses in the living room."

Michael gave her a weird look at the second request, but she only gave him a pointed one back. He seemed to get the hint and left the room. As soon as we was out of sight, the two mothers turned the girls sat before them.

"What happened?" Emily asked. 

Noelle and Annabeth made eye contact before the latter took a deep breath and told them that they had kissed.

Sally's eyes widened. "Does Percy know?"

Noelle nodded. "He said he kind of expected it, but we're good. He wasn't angry or anything."

"So, then what's the problem?"

"I don't know," Noelle said. "I guess I feel kind of guilty that I let you kiss me, fully knowing it would make things worse."

"What?" Annabeth said. "You feel guilty? I thought I made you hate me."

Noelle turned to the blond. "I could never hate you. You're my best friend."

Annabeth smiled in relief. "You're my best friend too. First and foremost."

The two girls hugged as best they could from where they were sat in their chairs. The women in front of them smiled at them. 

Moms can solve anything.

~

After Percy had hung up the phone, notifying everyone he had arranged a meeting in Times Square, the parents said their goodbyes. Percy and Noelle promised their parents they would do their best to stay out of life threatening situations, but that was a difficult thing to do being a half-blood.

Percy and Noelle interlaced their fingers as they walked towards Times Square. Percy smiled down at her, pecking her temple. From the corner of her eye, Noelle could see Annabeth shoot them a genuine smile at how happy they were.

They found Rachel Elizabeth Dare in front of the Marriott Marquis, and she was painted gold completely. Her face, her hair, her clothes – everything. She looked like she'd been touched by King Midas. She was standing like a statue with five other kids all painted metallic – copper, bronze, silver. They were frozen in different poses while tourists hustled past or stopped to stare. Some passers-by threw money at the tarp on the sidewalk. 

The sign at Rachel's feet said, urban art for kids, donations appreciated. 

The trio stood there for, like, five minutes, staring at Rachel, but if she noticed them she didn't let on. She didn't move or even blink as far as they could see. Being ADHD and all, they could not have done that. Standing still that long would've driven them crazy. It was weird to see Rachel in gold, too. She looked like a statue of somebody famous, an actress or something. Only her eyes were normal green. 

"Maybe if we push her over," Annabeth suggested. 

Noelle thought that was a little mean, but Rachel didn't respond. After another few minutes, a kid in silver walked up from the hotel taxi stand, where he'd been taking a break. He took a pose like he was lecturing the crowd, right next to Rachel. Rachel unfroze and stepped off the tarp.

"Hey, Percy." She grinned. "Good timing! Let's get some coffee." 

They walked down to a place called the Java Moose on West 43rd. Rachel ordered an Espresso Extreme, the kind of stuff Grover would like. Noelle got a hot chocolate while Annabeth and Percy got fruit smoothies and they sat at a table right under the stuffed moose. Nobody even looked twice at Rachel in her golden outfit. 

"So," she said. "It's Annabelle, right?" 

"Annabeth," Annabeth corrected her. "Do you always dress in gold?"

"Not usually," Rachel said. "We're raising money for our group. We do volunteer art projects for elementary kids 'cause they're cutting art from the schools, you know? We do this once a month, take in about five hundred dollars on a good weekend. But I'm guessing you don't want to talk about that. You're a half-blood, too?"

"Shhh!" Annabeth said, looking around. "Just announce it to the world, how about?"

"Okay." Rachel stood up and said, really loud, "Hey, everybody! These three aren't human! They're half Greek god!" 

Nobody even looked over. Rachel shrugged and sat down. "They don't seem to care."

"That's not funny," Annabeth said. "This is isn't a joke, mortal girl."

"Okay, let's focus on the topic at hand," Percy said.

"I'm focused," Rachel insisted. "Every time I'm around you, some monster attacks us. What's to be nervous about?"

"Look," he said, "We're sorry about the band room. I hope they didn't kick you out or anything." 

"Nah. They asked me a lot of questions about you two. I played dumb."

Noelle redirected the conversation. "Rachel, we've got a problem. And we need your help."

Rachel looked to Annabeth, who was outwardly the most reluctant to have her help. "You need my help?"

Annabeth's cheeks reddened underneath the redhead's intense gaze. She found herself avoiding eye contact because the emerald of Rachel's eyes were distracting. 

Annabeth stirred her straw in her smoothie. "Yeah," she said quietly—nervous. "Maybe." 

They told Rachel about the Labyrinth, and how they needed to find Daedalus. They told her what had happened the last few times they'd gone in. 

"So you want me to guide you," she said. "Through a place I've never been." 

"You can see through the Mist," Percy said. "Just like Ariadne. I'm betting you can see the right path. The Labyrinth won't be able to fool you as easily." 

"And if you're wrong?" 

"Then we'll get lost. Either way, it'll be dangerous. Very, very dangerous."

"I could die?" 

"Yeah." 

"I thought you said monsters don't care about mortals. That sword of yours –" 

"Yeah," Percy said. "Celestial bronze doesn't hurt mortals. Most monsters would ignore you. But Luke... he doesn't care. He'll use mortals, demigods, monsters, whatever. And he'll kill anyone who gets in his way." 

"Nice guy," Rachel said. 

"He's under the influence of a Titan," Annabeth said defensively. "He's been deceived." 

Rachel looked back and forth between the trio. "Okay," she said, "I'm in." 

Noelle blinked. She hadn't figured it would be so easy. "Are you sure?" 

"Hey, my summer was going to be boring. This is the best offer I've had yet. So what do I look for?" 

"We have to find an entrance to the Labyrinth," Annabeth said. "There's an entrance at Camp Half-Blood, but you can't go there. It's off-limits to mortals." 

She said mortals like it was some sort of terrible condition, but Rachel just nodded. "Okay. What does an entrance to the Labyrinth look like?"

"It could be anything," Annabeth said. "A section of wall. A boulder. A doorway. A sewer entrance. But it would have the mark of Daedalus on it. A Greek Delta, glowing in blue."

"Like this?" Rachel drew the symbol Δ in water on the table. 

"That's it," Annabeth said. "You know Greek?" 

"No," Rachel said. She pulled a big blue plastic hairbrush from her pocket and started brushing the gold out of her hair. "Let me get changed. You'd better come with me to the Marriott."

"Why?" Annabeth asked. "Because there's an entrance like that in the hotel basement, where we store our costumes. It's got the mark of Daedalus."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4K 281 12
♆ 𝑰𝑵 𝑾𝑯𝑰𝑪𝑯 𝑷𝒆𝒓𝒄𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑪𝒆𝒄𝒆 𝑱𝒂𝒄𝒌𝒔𝒐𝒏 𝒇𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒆𝒐𝒑𝒍𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒅𝒊𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒆𝒙𝒑𝒆𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒆 �...
10.8K 608 9
✦✧✧ 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐂𝐘 𝐉𝐀𝐂𝐊𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐎𝐋𝐘𝐌𝐏𝐈𝐀𝐍𝐒 ✧✧✦ "ᴀ ʜᴀʟғ-ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇʟᴅᴇsᴛ ɢᴏᴅs, sʜᴀʟʟ ʀᴇᴀᴄʜ sɪxᴛᴇᴇɴ ᴀɢᴀɪɴsᴛ ᴀʟʟ ᴏᴅᴅs." ᴘᴇʀᴄʏ ᴊᴀᴄ...
23K 901 43
❝𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐘𝐎𝐔'𝐋𝐋 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐙𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐘 𝐈𝐒 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐒.❞ (𝘕𝘢𝘮𝘦) 𝘸𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘥𝘰...