Distractions

By pretty_scary_vampire

Cover by the brilliantly talented @amxnaah "This is chaos. And not the good kind of chaos. The 'let me go die... More

Extended Summary
Trigger Warnings
Aesthetics and Cast
Season One
One: Gifts and Possibly Crazy Sisters
Two: Glitter and Dead Bodies
Three: Creepy Places Galore
Four: Who is She?
Five: Two Sides of the Hotel Dumort
Six: An Idiot and a Mini Heart-to-Heart
Seven: Overprotective Dye Blonde Brother
Eight: Demon Summoning and Babysitting
Nine: Are We Sure Simon's Not on Drugs?
Ten: Writing Research Isn't Useless (Take That Clary)
Eleven: Shots Fired
Twelve: You Don't Know Her As Well As You Think
8.3K??? (And Sneak Peaks at Next Chapter)
Thirteen: Group Chats Are A Lot
Fourteen: A Lawyer is Unnecessary
Fifteen: Everest Wants a Cat
Sixteen: Laughter Amongst the Overwhelm
Seventeen: Accidental Confessions and Disney Marathons
Eighteen: Nobody Knows What's Happening
Milestone Celebration!!
Nineteen: She Said Yes
Twenty: Hypocrites and Almost Being Run Over
Intermission
Q&A
Legos
Cookouts and Music Videos
Sleep is a Necessity
No Coffee Equals Potential Death
Movie Nights
She Was Her First, But She Wasn't Her Last
Family Reunion
She Was Just a Kid
The Class Meets Malecrest
The Chirping of the Doves Leads to Talks
Morning Rush
Overwhelmed
Midnight Calm
Overdressed
Photo Worthy
Afternoon Dance
Blanket Forts and Onesies
Reliving the Happy Past
First Concerts
Season Two
Twenty-One: It's Too Cold
Twenty-Two: Broken Furniture and Needed Apologies
Twenty-Three: Maybe Pizza Doesn't Fix Everything
Twenty-Four: Valentine is...Confusing
Twenty-Five: Church One and Church Two
Twenty-Six: The Other Side of the Past
Twenty-Seven: Too Many Urgent Alerts
Twenty-Eight: Drip, Drip, Smack
Twenty-Nine: Cry Baby
Thirty: Bear Hugs
Thirty-One: Communication
Thirty-Two: Party in the US of Mess
Thirty-Three: Good Talk, Good Shot
Thirty-Four: FaceTimes and Brothers
Thirty-Five: Coffee Saves Lives
Thirty-Six: Valentine's Daughter
Thirty-Seven: Flirtatious Babes
Thirty-Eight: Don't Make It Worse
Thirty-Nine: Killing Tree
Chapter Forty: Drama and Trauma
Forty-One: Blame Game
Forty-Two: Corpses Aren't Friends
Forty-Three: Oranges are Hell
Forty-Four: Brother Dearest
Forty-Five: Not Extinct Enough
Season Three
Forty-Six: New Things
Forty-Seven: The Art of B&E
Forty-Eight: Family Dinner
Forty-Nine: Goodbye

What a Birthday

1K 39 9
By pretty_scary_vampire

This prompt is brought to you by the ever angst loving @ink_and_fables_4_u and goes as follows: A random mission with the whole gang (including Magnus), fighting demons, and someone should get hurt. It's not quite a mission per se, but I tried to write it both ways and this version came out better.

We get a special treat of Everest interacting with her social media, something we haven't gotten yet because of all the chaos that has happened so far. Theoretically, she'll remember she has social media and a writing account and should probably post a brief explanation. But then again, it's Everest and there are more important things going on than dealing with social media. So enjoy this fun cameo for now.

Trigger Warning: Fighting, blood, injury, swearing, weapons, brief mention of potential self-inflicted injury. There is swearing in the entire drabble, but it and the other triggers will be noted as usual.

The Angel had to have a sick sense of humor or something, because otherwise this wouldn't be happening. 'This' being a horde of demons attacking the Lightwoods, Jace, Clary, Everest, Magnus, and Simon while they were at a drive-in movie to celebrate Alec's birthday.

Trigger Warning: Fighting, swearing

"Fuck you lot!" Everest shouted, shooting another Ravener demon.

"Are you talking to the demons or us?" Simon, who was fighting a demon next to her, asked.

"Depends."

"Rude."

They continued fighting, slashing and shooting, punching and throwing, casting and stabbing until all the demons had fallen.

Trigger warning over

Everest leaned against Izzy, activating her Parabatai's Iratze and the nineteen year old doing the same for her. Jace and Clary were scanning each other for injuries, Simon was making sure Izzy was alright, and Magnus was watching Everest to make sure she was doing okay.

"Where's Alec?" Jace demanded suddenly.

Everyone glanced around for the dark haired Shadowhunter, but he was nowhere to be seen.

"Alec?" Izzy called. There was no response.

"Alec!"

"Alexander!"

"Alec, where are you?"

"Alec Lightwood, if you don't show your ass right now you'll regret it!"

"Alec?"

All they could hear was their harsh breathing and the faint sounds of the highway. The group dispersed, each with panic-filled expressions, trying to find Alec.

"Hey." Everest looked up to see Magnus standing in front of her. "It'll be alright. We'll find him."

She blinked, then nodded. "Yeah. Yeah, we'll find him."

Trigger warning: swearing, weapons, potential self-inflicted injury, major injury, blood

Magnus's lips quirked as he uncrossed her arms for her. Everest hadn't realized she had crossed them, nor had she realized that her nails were beginning to dig into her arms. "Of course we will. Isabelle will have our heads if we don't."

Everest nodded again and started walking again, looking for her partner. Magnus fell into step with her. They looked behind the cars left in the lot (they were probably employee cars since the other mundanes had left), behind the concession stand, and near the ticket booth. They still couldn't find Alec.

"Fuck," Everest swore softly. Her head tilted back, and she closed her eyes against the frustration and setting sun. "Fuck this."

This time Magnus didn't say anything about them finding Alec soon. It wouldn't help and he knew that. So he just gripped Everest's hand tightly and offered as much silent comfort as possible.

"Alec? Alec! I found him guys! I found Alec!" Simon shouted.

Everest's eyes shot open and her gaze landed on Simon's form by the trees. She and Magnus ran towards him, their hands getting ripped apart by how fast they were running. Everest fell to one knee at Alec's side; Magnus crouched down much more gracefully. Clary, Izzy, and Jace weren't far behind the two and soon they too were crouching down beside Alec's prone form.

He was laying on his back, eyes closed and mouth open. His clothes, a simple pair of jeans and a blue button up with a leather jacket since none of them had thought they would have to fight, were torn and covered in blood and dirt. A dark red stain started at his abdomen and though it faded slightly as it spread away from his abdomen, it was still concerningly dark. His bow and a seraph blade laid a few feet away, covered in ichor and mud.

"Alec," Jace breathed out, dropping to his knees. "Shit."

No one said anything as Jace lifted Alec's shirt, wincing at the wound. He traced an Iratze near the wound. The end of the stele was tinted red when Jace removed it. The wound healed slightly, but the blood remained.

Trigger warning over

"We have to get him back to the Institute," Izzy said. Everest thought she was stating the obvious, but she also knew it was needed in order to get everyone moving.

Jace nodded and together he and Simon hoisted Alec up. Clary grabbed Alec's weapons, Izzy and Everest gathered the group's things, and Magnus started working on a Portal.

"Ready?" Magnus asked. Everyone nodded. "Go on then."

One by one—or by three in the case of the guys—they went through the Portal, landing in the Institute's infirmary. Jace and Simon laid Alec on a bed of crisp white sheets and Jace began tracing blood-replenishment and energy runes on Alec's arms. The rest of them watched with baited breath. Magnus cast spells to clean Alec off as gently as possible, as well as to replace his shirt. Jace stayed, hovering by the bedside. Clary and Everest leaned against each other in worry and Izzy grabbed Everest's hand tightly. Simon was leaning against the wall, brown eyes gleaming in concern.

"He'll wake up soon," Magnus said. "He has to."

He said the last part so softly, it was hardly audible. They all heard it though.

They all settled in for what they all hoped wouldn't be a long wait. Everest handed out the backpacks she and Izzy had grabbed from their little picnic area and Everest settled in on the bed next to Alec's. Magnus joined her a moment later.

"Book or phone?" she asked.

"Phone."

She gave him his phone, smiling a little at the lock screen. It was a ridiculous picture of her and Alec when they were in the middle of a food fight when they were supposed to be making breakfast. They were both laughing, covered in flour and oil and in their pajamas. It was a nice picture.

Magnus rested his head on her shoulder as she opened Instagram. Everest clicked 'record' and panned around the room, capturing Izzy and Simon bent over Simon's phone, Jace playing Solitaire, Clary drawing, Alec on the bed, and then Magnus leaning on Everest.

'Waiting for the dork in the bed to wake up,' she typed. She changed the font to purple, centered it on the page, tagged everyone in the room that had an account, and posted the video to her personal account's story.

Then, just to make sure no one was too concerned or got the wrong idea, she took a pic of her and Magnus's legs intertwined and typed an explanation. 'The whole group was at a movie and A tripped over a log or something. He'll be alright, don't worry. He's just sleeping right now. I'll update you as things change if you'd like.'

Everest continued clicking through stories and posts on her personal account before switching to her writing account. Immediately she realized just how long it had been since she posted anything: almost a month and a half.

"I'm gonna record a short video, just so you know," she announced. Used to Everest randomly recording things for her stories and Instagram, her friends just nodded. Everest made sure she looked presentable, then started recording.

"Hey guys! So, I'm sure you're wondering where in the universe I've been." Everest smiled sheepishly. "I know it's been a little while since I've posted anything, so I just wanted to kind of explain why that is. Basically, my life has been pretty chaotic this past month or so. I'm not comfortable going into details, but a lot of people have come into and left my life that I didn't expect. And yes, if you were wondering, the reasons for my recent absence are similar to the reasons for my absence almost a year ago.

"On the plus side, my sister hasn't done anything too stupid recently, none of my friends have done something to warrant you all yelling at them on socials again, and my partners and I are doing well."

Everest paused slightly when Clary scoffed loudly and stuck her tongue out.

"Anyways, I just wanted to give that quick update and let you all know that I will hopefully be able to return to my usual content as soon as things calm down a bit. See you soon, and remember my DMs are open if you want to talk. Bye!"

Everest laid back down and Magnus returned to his previous position as Everest added captions to the videos.

"Your dedication to your followers and social media is insane," Simon mused.

Everest snorted. "I just don't like scaring people with unexplained absences."

"If only everyone was like that," the mousy haired boy said. Everest nodded in agreement.

It was nearly twenty minutes later when Alec stirred. Everyone snapped to attention, eyes fixed on Alec.

"Alec?" Everest called out gently. "Are you awake?"

Alec huffed and tried to sit up. Jace ran to help him before he could hurt himself. "Why am I in the infirmary?" His voice was gruff from him being unconscious.

"Demons attacked," Clary began but Alec cut her off.

"I know that. Why am I here?"

"You got hurt," Magnus deadpanned. "You're mostly healed now though."

Alec stared around the room for a long moment, then sighed. "Please tell me the redhead didn't save me."

Maybe it was the intensity of everything that had just happened, or maybe it was that Alec said it so annoyed, but everyone laughed. Full, loud, rambunctious laughter that echoed in the sterile white room. Alec smirked. Maybe that had been his goal: make everyone laugh and diffuse the tension.

"No, Clary didn't save you," Izzy laughed. "Jace did your runes and Magnus got the blood off you. Simon helped carry you back though."

Alec chuckled lowly at the affronted look on Clary's face, then opened his arms for Magnus and Everest. The two hugged him without hesitation.

"Don't die," Everest said firmly. "Don't even think about it."

"I won't," Alec assured her. Then he said, "What a birthday."

"What a birthday indeed," Jace agreed. "Now get a room, you three. I don't want to see you all cuddly and sappy."

"Says the one who's always cuddly and sappy with Clary," Everest shot back, though she was smiling.

"Shut up Purple," he grumbled.

"My hair's not purple anymore, Dye Blonde."

"Oh shut up."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 176 43
After defeating Lilith and escaping Edom, the TMI gang finally returns to their common lifes in New York, ready to figure out different issues from d...
25K 970 11
𝑽𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒄𝒖𝒏𝒅 / ver-I- kuhnd / Adjective 1. Bashful ; Modest _________________________________________ Being alone and always...
964K 23.7K 132
Magnus x oc x Alec Magnus x gracelynne x Alec Magician x little girl x archer Gracelynne Fairchild she may be Turning 18 today but in her heart she'...
2.9K 143 34
This happens after the city of heavenly fire.(In the Mortal Instruments series) She walks in gracefully and says with so much venom, that I flinch, "...