Eyes of the Blood Moon

By Gemmy4

Ella Marin grew up on the small island of Crocket. She recently moved back hoping to escape the troubles in h... More

New Priest in Town
The Son Returns
The Seventh Sunday
Plauge
The Creature of the Woods
Crock Pot Luck
Swimming in the Sky
Addiction
In the Eyes of a Miracle
Night of the Western Sun
Moon Drunk
Pains of the Past
Love on Ice
Will the Circle be Unbroken
The Red Means I Love You
Darkness Hides Me
Remember We Are Dust
To Dust We Shall Return
Behind the Scenes
Free Fall
Delicate
Back on Track
Always for Her
Blood Moon Rising
Feeding Frenzy
Morning Glow

Shitstorm

415 24 6
By Gemmy4

(Art above is from picrew.me. I used a template created by @Niseo.)

*****

I looked back into Ella's forest green eyes. How they drew me in so deep, I'll never know. As a priest, falling in love isn't important. The only love you need is God's. Still, I did think about it. Not often, mind you. But it was the least of my duties. I've had a few opportunities in the past. More than you would think a priest would get. But they never intrigued me. Recently however, I've found myself growing lonely, out in this little rectory. I have Bev, but she doesn't always make for great company. No. I realized, it was Ella I wanted in my company and in my time. However I made a mistake last night, letting myself fall in too deep in her eyes. Well, I wouldn't call it a mistake. I don't regret it. The only thing I want is to taste her lips again. But I must not let myself be distracted. I need to stay far away from her. This is a critical time for all of Crocket. But truth be told, I'm scared. Scared she'll find out, before I can explain myself. I don't want to lose her, or have her run away. Once she has been saved, we will be able to love freely. But if she finds out before...well I can't afford to let her go.

Not yet.

*****

Ella dressed for church that day in a turtle neck dress and beige trench coat. She reached into the pocket of the coat, and felt something. She pulled it out to see a little jar, filled with yellow flower petals tied around a string.

This was moms she thought with a sigh of astonishment. She'd forgot all about it. Her mother used to wear it all the time when she was little. She would tell her, it was a rare flower that was said to glow like the sun at night.

She decided to put it on. For one, it was pretty, it had a hazy golden glow to it, making her feel warm, and two, she wanted a piece of her mother with her. She's felt a little sad, living on the island again, in the same house, but her parents not being here. A little token of her around her neck felt nice. A little piece of the past.

She heard Erin knock on her door and left her room to greet her.

Together they walked down to the church. Erin complaining about how bad the morning sickness was today.

"It's a rip off. I still have to go to work while pregnant. With a bunch of teenagers, obsessing over a different thing every week. Ugh and the smell in the mornings. After they leave I need to throw up again. It's made me have a deep loathing for seafood."

Erin kept rambling as they walked up to the church. Ella had to be honest, she wasn't really paying attention. She was trying to keep her heart from beating out of her chest. She was seeing Father Paul after what had happened and she didn't know how to feel about it. On one hand, she did seem to have feelings for him that way. On the other though, he was a priest. Their relationship would be frowned upon. Especially by Bev.

Ugh Bev. She's gonna kill me and him if she found out. "You're being corrupted don't you see Father? By this lying, dishonourable, slut. She doesn't want you, she's wants your power." Bev is a lot of things. A devout Catholic to some, a sweet innocent lady to others, but she's always been a master manipulator. That's hidden in plain sight.

"You alright? You seem distracted," Erin asked, snapping Ella out of her thoughts.

"Yeah," Ella sighed, "sorry. I'm just dreading seeing Bev today."

Erin nodded. "Oh please don't get me started on her."

"I still see her face from that day in highschool, Erin. That painless, guiltless expression," Ella replied.

Erin was silent for a moment. "Me too," was all she had to say.

They walked in silence the rest of the way to the church.

Ella felt like she was the only one who could see Bev for who she really was. She knew that wasn't true, Erin and Riley had been there that day. And Joe and her have gotten into quite a few disputes. But the topic of Beverly Keane was thin ice. Crack the surface, and you'd drown. Ella was so sick and tired of her pulling the cloth over everyone's eyes, and being able to do nothing about it.

The approached St. Patrick's along with a large crowd.

"Seems like people are up for a little faith today," Ella whispered to Erin getting lost in the swarm of people.

Erin scoffed. "Yeah up for the taste of miracles."

They came up to the stairs Father Paul and Bev were standing next to greeting everyone.

Ella couldn't even think of Paul at the moment. She was lost in her hatred for Bev.

"Good morning," Father Paul greeted them.

"Welcome," Bev said, in a sly voice.

Ella scoffed disgustedly, pushing past her and storming into the church.

"Els, keep your cool. One wrong move towards Bev and you know what she's capable of," Erin said leading them to their usual pew.

The church was packed. Every pew seemed to be filled with hungry eyes, looking for their own slice of heaven.

They shuffled in and sat down in the close quarters. Ella hadn't seen the church like this in a long time. It was talkative and loud, with excited voices ready to embrace the magic.

"I'm so done with Bev's control. She forces half the town out, while making sure she gets a profit, stalks around the island like the saint she is, and receives praise for it. And there's not a damn thing we can do about it, because "we know what she's capable of"!" Ella complained, sinking down in the pew.

"Trust me, I know the feeling. But blowing our top off right here, right now? Isn't the way to go. Once the worship is over, we'll get Riley, and we'll plot her demise then. Deal?" Erin asked.

Ella snorted. "Fair enough."

The sermon commenced as usual. Ella was just as distracted throughout the entire thing. She thought about her past with Bev, everything that had led up to...the murder that night. And how Bev silenced them. Her blood boiled, thinking over everything that had happened that night. Wondering if there was something she could've, something she should've done.

There's a million things I could've done differently. But would they have ever changed the outcome of that girls fate? I'll never know. One thing I do know for sure...Bev will never change. Even though I did all that I could, I still ended up being punished. And she got off completely free. She's nothing but a monster. And that's all she'll ever be.

"Ella."

Ella looked up at Erin who motioned behind her towards two angry looking people, annoyed she hadn't gotten out of the pew.

"Sorry," Ella whispered, crawling out of the pew.

She'd zoned out for the entire sermon, it was time for communion now.

"You're still distracted," Erin frowned.

"Me? Never," Ella sighed as they approached the podium.

Bev stood in front of her proudly holding out the goblet towards her.

Ella's fist clenched as she could feel the urge to punch her square in the jaw.

Calm down, this is a church.

She took a deep breath feeling the impatient people behind her growing annoyed.

"Nervous?" Bev asked slyly.

Ella could feel the gaze of Father Paul on her, as well as everyone else waiting for her.

"No. Not anymore," She replied before storming away and out the doors.

She stomped down the street straight to the general store.

She didn't mean to make a scene, but if she'd stayed a second longer she would've done something she would regret.

Slamming open the doors, she walked in to a frightened Joe.

"God dammit woman. What's your fuckin problem?" He asked grumpily waiting by the counter with a pack of beers.

"Besides almost breaking Bev's nose in front of the entire church?" She responded, grabbing a water from the fridge.

Joe let out a hearty laugh. "Fuck if I could see that! Why didn't you?"

"Please you know Bev. I'd be pinned on a fucking crucifix if I laid a hand on that precious angel," Ella retorted.

He sighed. "Next time I say go for it. Take a whack at her for me will ya?"

"Sure," Ella snorted, "got a message you want me to deliver when I do it?"

"Yeah. Two words. Fuck. You." Joe growled.

"Common Joe. Go all out. Really let me cuss her out. I'll give it my all. It'll probably end up being the last thing I do."

Joe shook his head. "Any other person? I'd let you. But trust me. That's all she needs. I've learned that."

Ella sighed. "I could use some of that knowledge. I just wanna yell and scream and put her in her place over and over and over again."

"That's the fucking problem with Bev. That's exactly what she fucking wants. The more you say, the more your reveal, the more she's can use to twist against you. She needs complete blunt fucking honesty."

Ella thought for a moment. "You know what? You're completely right Joe."

Joe snorted. "Haven't heard those words before."

They were silent for a moment before Joe grunted and slapped a twenty down on the counter. "I ain't waitin anymore. See ya round detective."

"See ya Joe," Ella sighed. She put her own money on the counter for the water and drank it while walking towards the back room.

She let herself in. The Sheriff was sitting behind his little desk frowning at his computer.

"Good mornin Ella," he greeted, leaning casually back in his chair.

"Is it?" She asked, slumping down in the chair across from his.

"I had thought so. What going on with you?" He asked.

Ella took a deep sip of the refrigerated water.

He looked up at her through his brow disappointingly. "Did you illegally pay for that? I know Frank isn't out there right now."

"Yep. Let Joe pay for his beer that way as well," Ella said with a cheeky smile.

He sighed. "Well Joe will be punished for it later anyways. What am I going to do with you?"

Ella's stomach fluttered at the cadence in his voice. She felt her cheeks growing hot and quickly drank some more water.

"Seriously Ella. What's wrong?"

"Ugh Bev's just been on my nerves lately. Literally bolted out of church today because of her," Ella answered sinking down further in the chair.

"Hm. She's got quite the grip on this island."

"You don't know the half of it. And you'd be disappointed in me if you did," Ella muttered.

He looked at her inquisitively. "I highly doubt that. What happened?"

Ella shook her head. "Can't explain. It would only make it worse."

"You're worrying me," he frowned, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning back in his chair.

"Don't. It's not worth it anyways. Let's just talk about anything but Bev." She pleaded.

"Alright. You'll have to tell me one day though," he said, standing and stretching.

Ella snorted. "No promises."

He smiled and shook his head.

They sat in silence for a minute before he asked, "have you eaten breakfast?"

*****

Back at Ella's house, Hassan had put on an apron over his uniform, and was cooking her crepes.

"My house has literally never smelled this good," Ella said setting the table. "You never told me you could cook."

"Never needed to," he replied. "Check it out,"

She walked up behind him as he tossed up the pan, the crepe spinning up into the air and falling back into the pan over on its other side.

Ella gave him a slow clap. "Impressive Sheriff. Ya got any more secret talents?"

He chuckled. "Not really. What about you? What do you like to do?"

Ella paused to think for a moment. "Well...I love swimming. It's freeing and exiting. I'm pretty good, won quite a few races. Even did it competitively at my college."

He nodded and ushered her to keep going.

"I'm alright at singing. I've always been a bit you know, dramatic, but I'm not that great at expressing what I'm feeling? I like to do it through song. I think it's just more impactful that way," she continued.

"And...I love solving puzzles. Like actual mysteries. I love to know the why and the how, and hate being kept in the dark. The rush that you get when you realize the motive? And what was going through their brain? And that click, when all the pieces come together. Right when it all makes sense."

Hassan nodded, setting the plate of crepes in the centre of the table.

"For me, it was always the part after. The justice," he replied.

Ella agreed, sitting down. "Alright what's the spread chef?" She asked playfully.

He smiled and gestured at the different bowls of condiments and toppings.

"You've got your classics, scrambled eggs, sausages, spinach and tomatoes. Then we move over to the fruit station, strawberries, bananas, raspberries and blueberries. Ya got your whipped cream, caramel sauce and Nutella of course, and finally, ketchup," Hassan explained with a proud grin.

Ella let out an exasperated breath. "If you eat that thing with ketchup I'm kicking you out of the house."

He let out a deep laugh. "I was actually testing you,"

"Sure," Ella replied.

"Yeah yeah I was!"

They laughed and ate for a while and Ella had finally begun to feel better. But of course, all good things must to come to an end.

Just as she helped herself to a third crepe, there was a knock at her door.

She sighed. "People don't give up around here."

"No they don't," Hassan responded through a mouthful of crepe.

She smiled to herself and got up to open the door.

Only to be face to face with Father Paul, in his tight black button up and skinny denim jeans. And his usual charming grin.

"Ella, good. I've come to do your Mass."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 22 12
I started to step back slowly. " please I am sorry , I didn't mean to invade in your privacy " I scared of his reaction the way he staring in to my s...
229K 8.9K 46
He lowers his face, tickling my neck with the tip of his nose as he moves it up and down, inhaling deeply. A voracious growl rumbles deep from within...
305 0 33
"I'll just go grab my coat," she whispered leaning into his face as she slid her hand from underneath his. She strutted over to the shadowed coat rac...
2K 92 29
Read all of the description please. Mainly the warning at the bottom <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> I walked to the studio Ella Layloni was at an...