A Change of Feeling

By TheDutchGirlWrites

Harry is left in the dark by his friends. After a couple of weeks without a word from the magical world, Harr... More

The Letter
A Brush with Death
Grimmauld Place and Black Veins
Witch Weekly
The Dark Tattoo
Slytherin Ways in Azkaban
The Hearing
The Sign of Ekrizdis
The Conversation at Diagon Alley
Jormungandr, the Huge Monster
Rabastan's Wicked Ways
The Ouroboros
"Incarcerous"
The Effect of a Tattoo
Pink Toads and Sneaky Lions
Yule at Grimmauld Place
Nightly Terror
She that Rewards
The Examinations
Family Matters, part I
Family Matters, part II
Family Matters, part III
The Sins of the Father
No Sleep for the Wicked
Fuckin' Snakes!
Blood, Lust, and Family
Farewell and Reunion
Half-Breeds
The Chance Meeting
Umbridge's Demise - Part One
Umbridge's Demise - Part Two
The Interrogation
Dit des Trois Morts et des Vifs
"Showtime"
Grahams' Loyalty

The Ashwinder

7.4K 237 111
By TheDutchGirlWrites

"No."

"What do you mean, no?" asked Rabastan in a low voice.

"I'm not helping out on an ill-considered suicide mission," Rookwood said with a straight face. "I agree with Master Potter-Black that it is unwise to return to Hogwarts, but you must confess, Rabastan, that it is rash to enter the Ministry blindly."

Rookwood looked intently at Harry and searched his eyes for cracks in his mask. "Let's sketch a hypothetical scene of this plan," he said in his automatic, almost nasal voice. "What is the purpose of this venture?"

Harry didn't hesitate. "We want to obtain Alchemical books, books that can shed light on the so-called 'chemical marriage', especially the connection between sulfur, mercury, and salt."

Rookwood nodded. "Why is breaking into the Ministry the only way to get this information? What can be said about being placed under house arrest, or going into hiding if you like, while a lawyer requests the necessary documents from the Ministry?"

An impatient growl escaped Harry's throat as he glared at the former Unspeakable. He threw his hands in the air angrily and began to pace. "I don't think I have the luxury of going into hiding. Dumbledore has been panting down my neck for a while; he checks every step I take and questions every unusual occurrence that occurs in close proximity to my person."

Unfazed, Rookwood shrugged. "Where Dumbledore is powerful, he remains only a single person, someone who is currently not on good terms with the Ministry. I don't see what his interference adds to the urgency of this matter."

Harry looked irritated at Rabastan, who ran his hand through his hair. His older lover didn't look at Harry, however, but stared around Rookwood's room, as if looking for possible clues that might help them leave for the Ministry. When Harry was about to open his mouth to begin yet another monologue to the unwilling Death Eater, he felt a warm hand on his shoulder. Until then, Rodolphus had withdrawn and only listened to the arguments of both sides, without making any contribution to the conversation.

"August, what my brother and Harry fail to mention is the nature of the investigation into my future brother-in-law," said Rodolphus in his dark voice that carried as much authority as his father.

Rookwood's eyes widened for a moment on hearing the familiar term used by Rodolphus, realizing that his help was not sought in the name of Harry Potter-Black, but in the name of the Lestrange family. The fact that it was a family matter, about his brothers from the Dark Sect, made Augustus willing to change his positions.

"What is the nature of the investigation then? What exactly are they accusing Master Potter-Black of?"

"Murder, of course," said Rodolphus blasé. He grinned his teeth bare, but his murderous look made him look dangerous and unpleasant. "Dumbledore and his merry band of bird watchers have been investigating Harry for several months and recently hit the jackpot. They believe they have gathered sufficient evidence that Harry is responsible for Madam Umbridge's death and torture."

Rookwood's eyebrows shot into the air at this information. "Young Mr. Potter-Black is the perfect scapegoat; he is not liked by the Ministry and easily presented as the next Dark Lord." He smiled faintly. "Really clever."

The ex-Unspeakable looked at Harry and tilted his head inquiringly. "Are Dumbledore's allegations justified?"

Harry glanced shyly from Rodolphus to Rabastan and nodded timidly. "Yes sir."

"Ah, that changes things," Rookwood said wearily. "Are you afraid of a repeat of '81? A mock trial, is that to be expected?"

Rookwood seemed not to expect an answer and stared into the fire that burned in his hearth. The man had his hands folded behind his back and said nothing for minutes. The silence made Harry feel uneasy, like a caged tiger. Rabastan seemed to sense his discomfort and squeezed his upper arm amiably, but shook his head. The gesture was enough for Harry to swallow his impatience and wait for Rookwood's verdict.

"I still think it's better to go into hiding and wait for charges. It's safer," the man said calmly. "However, I understand that this case is different from that of a normal wizard. Potter-Black's public identity would be greatly damaged, chances are he will be convicted without giving him a chance to refute the allegations."

He turned and looked intently at the group of people. "I render my services to you, and follow your judgment on this matter." He shifted his gaze to Harry and smiled weakly. "I would like to emphasize, however, that Master Potter-Black will not be in charge of this venture, this task is better left to Rodolphus. Can you agree to this, Harry?"

Harry blinked in surprise at his first name and nodded slowly. "I just want to know how to manage my condition so that I don't hurt people without my knowledge."

Rookwood grinned at Harry's words. "Just without your knowledge, Harry? Rodolphus was right when he spoke of you a few weeks ago: you are merciless when it comes to protecting your loved ones."

He hit Harry on the shoulder, his whole demeanor changed now that he'd decided to break into the Ministry with the Lestranges. "It's not a disease, by the way, Harry, it's a gift. You will have to embrace this part of you, as you will carry it with you for the rest of your life. Don't let fear be your counselor, let your feelings and your love for Basty guide you."

Harry didn't have time to react to Rookwood's words when he was pulled into an iron grip of two thin arms. Although he had grown a lot this year, he could still feel the warm, soft curves of Bellatrix's bosom just below his jawline.

"Harry is a mighty Potterling, August. He has such a big heart that he will surely find a place for his dark gift. Should he have any problems, Aunty Bella will help itsy-bitsy Harry with the emotional growth," Bella said cooing with the newest family member in her arms.

"Harry is like a son to me, August," Bella said suddenly in a detached and strained voice. "Send us wrong in the labyrinth of the Ministry and I will personally fillet you."

She kissed Harry's forehead while pulling his hair back into a ponytail. She then sent a bright, if somewhat insane smile to Rookwood. "I'm so thrilled you're helping us, August!"

Harry had to hand it to Rookwood that the man didn't cringe at Bella's undisguised threat and craziness. The man didn't even blink and seemed to perceive Bellatrix's behavior as normal. Rodolphus took a step forward and squared his shoulders. He managed to attract the attention of everyone present with his attitude and cleared his throat.

"We are going to the Ministry. I understand from old stories, August, that you can get off by Floo at Level Nine, near the Department of Mysteries. Is that right?"

Rookwood nodded. "Obviously I was curious after my rehabilitation if I could still get access to my old Department. You can imagine my utter delight when I found out that the security was never changed. In fact, it is possible to Apparate in the Department, although I would recommend that we only use it in an emergency, as that would trigger alarms in the Auror Office."

Rodolphus nodded. "We're going by Floo, can you shield our identity if we do this, brother?" Rodolphus looked at Rabastan, the epitome of a patient leader.

Rabastan grinned broadly and nodded. "The Ministry would not notice our presence unless we are seen on the spot, of course."

Harry looked surprised at his lover and asked softly so that only Rabastan could hear, "How can you let our presence go unnoticed?"

A shiver ran through Harry as he felt Rabastan's lips on his earlobe. "Magic, Harry."

Harry gave Rabastan an "are-you-kidding-me" look, causing the man to grin wickedly. "Runes, little raven. I'm giving you all a bracelet that bypasses certain Ministry detection spells, it really isn't that hard. It is above all an accurate work."

Rabastan turned his gaze back to the rest of the crowd. "I'll need preparations for about an hour, brother. Would it be smart to inform Black and Lupine of the developments?"

Harry immediately began to form a series of objections to involving his 'fathers' but was not heard by the Lestranges or Rookwood. Bellatrix immediately jumped up to walk over to the Floo to have a conversation with her cousin, and Rodolphus nodded in satisfaction at the prospect of the joining of two skilled wizards.

"Harry," said Rodolphus suddenly in a clear voice. "Do you need some things... maybe from Hogwarts? If we act carefully, maybe-"

Harry hesitated a moment, shook his head in denial, and then took a Mokeskin pouch from his pocket and showed it to Rodolphus. "I got it from Malfoy for Yule. There's not much in it, but four objects to be exact."

Rodolphus looked interested at the small bag. "Is there anything in there that can help you in the Ministry?"

Harry looked uncertainly around the room, wondering how much risk he could take. "Fuck it," he whispered as he opened the pouch and put his hand in it. The first thing he removed was a cloak, the design recognizable for the two brothers. Rodolphus looked at the cloak in amazement and took it carefully.

"What did you call this again, Harry? A Happy Blanket?"

Harry nodded. "It is a new design, I have cast an extra spell on it so that the cloak can be placed over several people. My tests so far have been positive; it does not seem to lose much of its original effect, if at all."

Rodolphus nodded. "Handy, but not immediately necessary I think. Anything else?"

Harry then took out the Marauders Map and his father's cloak. He saw Rookwood's eyes gleam, and for a moment Harry thought he'd made a mistake in showing the Invisibility Cloak. Rookwood took a few steps toward Harry and ran a single finger over the material of the cloak.

"The cloak is very useful, Harry. However, only use it in extreme distress, when you are near despair. Use it to escape," the man just said, then looked at the map with interest. "Is that piece of parchment important to our mission?"

Harry shook his head. "No, it's a map of Hogwarts."

Rookwood's intelligent eyes darted back to Harry. "You're getting more interesting by the minute, Harry. Such powerful magical artifacts, fascinating."

Harry carefully put items back into the Mokeskin pouch and took out the last item. It was the purple cloak that he had kept at the bottom of his trunk for a long time. "This is the last item, I found it in Sirius's house- I think it likes me."

Rodolphus examined the cloak intently, cast a number of detection spells over it, and finally nodded in satisfaction. "This will do," he finally said. "Wear this cloak, Harry. You're right to think the cloak "likes" you. This cloak is made by and for the Black family, with the blood of Sirius in your veins, this cloak will protect you. The impact on people without Black blood is... significant."

Harry grinned and put the cloak on. He remembered how the cloak had been wrapped around Mrs. Weasley, how the woman had screamed in terror. Now, Harry wasn't a sadistic person in his own right, but he looked back fondly on Mrs. Weasley's cleanup effort and especially how it ended.

Time had slipped by unnoticed; Rabastan was working on the last bracelet, and Rookwood and Rodolphus seemed ready to discuss their plan of action. Only Bellatrix hadn't returned yet. Harry stared impatiently at the door, waiting for Bellatrix to return. The minutes seemed to creep by, now that Harry wasn't engaged in conversation with Rookwood, or Rodolphus, the wait was deadly. When the door finally opened, Harry jumped impatiently to his feet, ready to welcome Bellatrix- and possibly his fathers.

It was expected that he took a step backward when he first saw the blond, long hair of Mr. Malfoy. The man had the presence to attract all eyes on himself when entering a room, his blue, almost gray eyes, cold but determined. His chin was lifted and proud, ready to face whatever lay behind the door.

"Potter..." he said with a nod of his head. "And the rest of the Lestrange family, how... touching."

Rabastan seemed irritated, ready to open his mouth to insult the Malfoy patriarch, but was stopped by a whirlwind of dark brown curls.

"Lucy!! You're talking about Harry's future family, behave yourself, doll."

Lucius rolled his eyes but didn't turn around to face the menace. "Black, keep your ridiculous pet names to yourself. They are disturbing enough in a private setting, let alone in a polite conversation."

Harry's face lit up, his mouth twisted into a wide, blinding smile. "Siri!"

He ran forward and threw himself into Sirius' arms. "Ompf!" Sirius moaned at impact, "Harry, you seem to have grown every time I see you. Give it a year and you'll be as tall as your old man!"

Harry grinned, "How old were you again? Maybe I am not growing at all, but you are shrinking!"

Before Sirius could avenge himself, a polite cough sounded behind them. Harry looked under his father's arm to greet the newcomer. Remus and Corvus stood in the doorway with slightly amused expressions on their faces. However, Harry could see concern flickering in Remus's almost gold eyes- a sign that his wolf was close to the surface. Corvus looked like he was ready for battle; his eyes were sharp and he was dressed less lavishly than usual, you could almost say he was dressed to move quickly.

Harry peeled Sirius off, like a young octopus wrapped around his limbs, and walked over to Remus and Corvus. He gave Remus a hug and felt a kiss on his forehead. "Are you okay, cub?" murmured Remus in his hair. Harry nodded and relaxed into the worried werewolf's warm embrace.

After an encouraging squeeze on his shoulder, Harry walked over to Corvus and was then- surprisingly- pulled into a big hug. Corvus seemed to want to check all of Harry's bones for injuries, without being too obvious about it. "Trouble really seems to find you, doesn't it Harry?"

Harry shrugged. "It's nothing more than I'm used to."

Corvus gave Harry a questioning look before turning back, assuming his authoritarian air as the head of the Lestrange family. "Rodolphus, what's the plan?"

Rodolphus moved to the center of the party and looked around. When he saw his wife close the door of the room, he asked, "We're complete, I suppose?"

Everyone nodded, only Lucius straightened up. "Severus has confirmed the suspicions, Dumbledore is in his office talking to a number of Aurors. He has also been able to hear that there are indeed a number of charges against Harry, of which torture and murder are the most serious charges. He's watching the movement of the Aurors and Dumbledore."

Harry had to do his best not to let his mouth fall open in surprise. He'd heard from Draco that their fathers had revived their friendship, but he hadn't expected Lucius to put in so much effort for him. Lucius wore a dark dueling robe and looked like the mighty dark wizard that so many people whispered about behind his back. He looked like Voldemort's right hand; strong and dangerous. Lucius had evidently noticed Harry's surprise as he turned his attention completely to the youngest wizard.

"The Malfoy family is happy to extend its help and commitment to the Potter, Black, and Lestrange families. You have my friendship and my wand for as long as you need or wish to have it."

Harry squared his shoulders and looked Lucius straight in the eye. "In the name of the Houses of Potter, Black and-" he glanced at Corvus who nodded his head- "Lestrange, I want to thank the Malfoy family for this sign of strong friendship. May this be the beginning of prosperity and a blossoming bond between our families."

Lucius's eyes started to twinkle, the corners of his mouth curled up slightly. He bowed his head to Harry and then looked around the group. "Unfortunately, we will not be able to complete this mission with nice words."

With a jaunty wave of his wand, several piles of dark cloaks appeared, topped by masks resembling human skulls. Lucius turned his attention to Sirius and Remus. "I thought it wise to disguise our identities, although you are not allies of the Dark Lord, I have taken the liberty of offering you the same protection."

Rodolphus looked suspiciously at the Death Eater masks on the table. "Is this wise, Lucius? If we are found in the Ministry, then-"

"I have, of course, presented this to the Dark Lord himself," Lucius interrupted, "He would like to be Harry's ally and thus reach out to a partnership. In addition, this group consists of four escapees from Azkaban who - according to the outside world - all have loyalty to the Dark Lord. Loyalty is rewarded, protection is offered."

Surprisingly, Remus was the first to walk to the pile of battle ropes. "Which one shall I wear?"

Sirius looked delighted at his partner and then giddily walked over to the piles to get a closer look at the masks. "I've always wanted to try a mask like this. Even when I fought Death Eaters, I was always intrigued by its mystique. It also didn't help that those bastards were always so nonchalant and arrogant with those masks." Sirius made a graceful gesture with his hand along his face and tossed his curly hair back with a swish. "They were righteous jerks back then- with a swish of their manicured hands they would make their mask disappear."

Harry shook his head in amusement as he watched the entire party, except Bellatrix, don dark battle robes with matching masks. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a Death Eater approaching- tall, lean, and dark- with half a mask in his hands. The mask was white and resembled the top of a human skull. The lower jaw was missing, so the row of upper teeth served as the edge of the mask. Although the mask was only a half, it was more terrifying than the rest of the masks. The other Death Eater masks were made of metal, this mask seemed to be formed by bone and seemed to radiate something sinister.

"Harry, my love," began the Death Eater, who immediately recognized Harry as Rabastan- even without the endearment- "this mask is for you. According to Lucius, the Dark Lord made this for you himself when he heard we were going to invade the Ministry."

Harry took the mask and raised it to his face. After a nod from Rabastan, he pressed it into place and then released it. The mask seemed to melt over his flesh, like a second layer protecting his vulnerable skin. Harry moved his face and noticed in amazement that the mask moved perfectly with his movements. When he looked at himself in the mirror- where Sirius had been admiring himself for several minutes- he saw a dangerous-looking wizard. He wore the purple cloak from the Black townhouse, the buckle shaped like a snake holding the cloak neatly in place. Jormy lay around his neck, his body partially hidden from view by the collar of the cloak. The head of his snake banged affectionately against his lower jaw, drawing his attention to his face. The mask covered the top of Harry's face, with a shock he noticed that the mask had continued over his hair, making it look like he was wearing a skull all over his head. The skin around his eyes appeared to be black, shrouded in the shadows of the skull. His green irises twinkled precariously in that darkness, like the Killing Curse glowing in the night.

"You are a sight to behold," whispered Rabastan in awe as he stood behind Harry. He looked at his younger lover in the mirror and was overcome by a feeling of possessiveness and an urge to protect. "It's a good thing you're mine because you look too formidable to go into battle unclaimed. The epitome of a mighty Slytherin." He pressed his semi-erect source of excitement against Harry's ass and moaned softly in his ear.

Harry swallowed a moan and was secretly relieved when Rodolphus spoke again. "Rookwood leads us into the Department of Mysteries unseen. It is important that you do not touch anything along the way - many objects are enchanted and some have unknown qualities. The goal is to find books so that Harry can defend himself against Dumbledore's allegations, not only that- the books will help Harry fathom his gift and wield it. Should it come to conflict, use spells to defend or injure, not kill. Show the people that the Dark Sect does not act unjustly and that we treat magical blood respectfully."

Everyone seemed to accept Rodolphus's words, even Lucius and Corvus who were the head of their families, nodded their heads. Rookwood saw Rodolphus's words as a clear starting point and headed for the Floo. He threw a handful of dust into the hearth and muttered some incantations into the fire. The flames turned green and crackled invitingly to the company. "Ladies first," he said, gesturing to Bellatrix. She said nothing and stepped into the green flames, she disappeared instantly.

Harry looked questioningly at Rabastan. "Rookwood has connected the Floo to Level Nine, now all you have to do is step in and you will be automatically directed to the correct Floo." He took Harry's hand and slipped a leather strap around it, with a single stone bead in the center bearing a Rune. Rabastan's eyes gleamed under the mask and Harry swore he smiled tenderly at him. "I'll go first, darling, after all, someone's got to catch you when you come through the Floo."

Rabastan pulled Harry to the Floo, released his hand, and stepped into the flames. Harry looked at Sirius and Remus, who, other than Rookwood, were the only ones left in the ex-Unspeakable's house. "Are you sure?" Harry asked in a hollow voice, filled with tension and emotion.

Remus put a hand on his shoulder. "We would follow you to hell and back, Harry. We believe in you."

Harry nodded firmly and stepped into the Floo, only to be sucked away by the magic. He got out next to the elevator that he- it felt like an eternity ago- had gotten off to his disciplinary hearing last summer. Rabastan had grabbed him by the hand so he wouldn't lose his balance.

When Rookwood was the last to step out of the Floo, the stones around the hearth began to move. The dark stones shifted untidily over each other and shook for several seconds, until the Floo no longer existed, leaving only a bare wall. Harry looked surprised at Rookwood, who calmly dusted himself and only said, "You don't think an Unspeakable is coming through the staff entrance, do you?"

Harry decided not to go into it and looked at the dark tiles that lay on the floors, walls, and ceiling. He knew they weren't in the Department of Mysteries yet, but he already found the area more dangerous and more mysterious. Rookwood led the group to a dark door at the end of the hall. Rookwood turned and said in his monotonous voice, "Once we get through this door, we'll stick together. We left with nine people, it would be a shame if we lost someone along the way."

After these words, he opened the door and led the group into a large, circular room. Everything here was black, including the floor and ceiling - identical, unmarked, handle-less black doors were placed intermittently around the black walls, interspersed with branches of candles whose flames burned blue, their cool, glittering light reflected in the gleaming marble floor. so that it looked like dark water was running underfoot.

Rookwood stopped in the room and took a deep breath. Harry couldn't see his face through the mask but could see from his posture that it seemed to lose some tension- like a bittersweet reunion with a loved one. Twelve handleless doors could be seen, the marble floor like standing water seemed to make the doors even more ominous. Harry felt an upsetting feeling in his stomach, a feeling of discomfort that seemed to increase as he looked at the various doors.

"This room was designed to disorient unauthorized personnel entering. Although I am unlicensed, I have a close relationship with this place," Rookwood said in a hoarse voice. He walked to one door, muttered something, and went back to the next. After five different doors, he opened a dark door.

"Follow me."

Harry shuffled after the many wizards and felt his shoulder hit a softer arm. He looked to the side and saw Bellatrix's wild, dark curls. He could see her excited face clearly in the blue light of the candles, her gray eyes seemed to glow in the cool darkness.

"Don't worry, little Potterling," she said softly, keeping a close eye on her surroundings. "August may be a strange man, but he is loyal and knowledgeable, just what we need to bring this mission to a successful conclusion."

Bellatrix grabbed Harry's hand with hers and squeezed gently with her bony fingers. "I sleep under your blanket every day. It helps dispel the cold, but it also helps heal my aching heart. I see Sally every day, but it hurts less. Sometimes, when I'm under your blanket, I can look back fondly on the time I had with her. I am less consumed by hatred and sorrow, but now I can find happiness again in my husband- and in you, Harry."

Harry squeezed her hand without realizing it. He was shocked by Bellatrix's confession and could only look in amazement at the woman walking next to him. He felt a single tear roll down his cheek, which was caught halfway by a soft finger.

"I'm not telling you this to hurt you. I wanted to let you know that Dolf and I would follow you everywhere because you are family. You heal us all in your own way. Whatever happens, know that you are not to blame for events that lie ahead of us. You help us, and we are here of our own accord, not for you - because you ask us - but because it is a family matter. And you, dear Harry, are nothing less than family."

Harry cleared his throat uncomfortably and struggled to swallow a chunk of emotion. He felt his lower lip quiver and gave out a shaky smile. "Bella, if I'd known we were going to have a candid conversation- with a tsunami of feelings- I would have brought a box of tissues. Damn it, woman, I love you too."

There was a loud snort in front of him. "Do you hear that Basty? Our spouses have found each other, they don't need us any longer. Always knew your little raven is a kinky bastard," Rodolphus said in a teasing voice.

Bellatrix gave Rodolphus a hard blow to the back of the head. "Just because you have the emotional range of Flobberworm doesn't mean Harry has," Bellatrix said in a rebuking tone that Harry heard a thick layer of affection.

"Woman," said Rodolphus in a pleading voice. "What must I do to win back your love. Should I slay a dragon, or should I bury you in scrolls of parchment full of poetry? Name your prize, fantastic witch."

"Help Harry get through this period, Dolf, and I'll think about a suitable penance."

Lucius' tall figure stopped walking and looked at the sugary couple. "As touching as I find this family reunion, we are not here at a soiree over a glass of champagne. Save your sickening declarations of love for later, August says we're almost there."

Harry snickered and looked at Lucius' rigid body with a smile. He had to agree with the man; they had to find the books and leave as quickly as possible. Still, he was pleased with Bellatrix's words, she had a good sense that Harry felt guilty for involving so many people in his problems. Her words were a balm on his tormented soul, and he felt calmer knowing that Bellatrix was here on his own accord, not as a product of a misguided sense of devotion.

For the first time since they were in the Department of Mysteries, Harry looked around. They had arrived in a large, open room with three dark doors. The doors were inconspicuous, and above all boring, just like all previous doors in the Department. August stood in silence before the doors, thinking, and turned slowly toward the group.

"I have two options where the room could be where the books in Alchemy are kept. One could be near the Time Room, as there was always an empty, unused room there. If the Alchemy Studies are there, we should use the left door. However, I'm afraid the room is at the end of the Hall of Prophecy, as that room can expand indefinitely, and is somewhat harmless. I can imagine that students in Alchemy should have easy access to their study objects, the Hall of Prophecy is that: accessible and well secured."

"Why don't you know exactly where the books are?" Sirius asked impatiently. "I thought you were going to guide us through the labyrinth of this Department, you used to work here, didn't you?"

Rookwood took swift strides toward Sirius and stopped menacingly in front of the foolish wizard, only a few inches away from his face. "Since the books in Alchemy were only moved within the Department of Mysteries during my captivity, I have to use common sense to deduce where they might be. And have you not arrived here unscathed Black!" said Rookwood, his voice darkened. "If it weren't for my expertise, you would have been engaged in a battle with a brain that would grab onto your pea-sized brain."

Rabastan stepped between the two men and nudged Rookwood's chest gently. "August, friend. Where do you think the best chance of finding the books and scrolls is? We are not going to split up, we will stay together no matter what."

Rookwood looked at the doors, then turned back to the group. "I would put the room near the Hall of Prophecy. The Time Chamber is too obscure and prone to third-party interference that could lead to catastrophic consequences that I wouldn't dare to risk."

Rodolphus nodded. "Then we go to the Hall of Prophecy, lead the way, August."

The pensive man opened a door and let everyone in. The group shuffled softly through the enormous hall filled with rows of towering shelves, lit with blue-flamed candles. The room was cold and seemed so immense that Harry wondered if they would ever come to the end. Harry saw thousands of shiny white orbs on the shelves, emitting a mysterious white light.

Faster than Harry expected, they reached the end of the room and were again presented with three identical doors. Rookwood, without a doubt in his mind, walked to the middle door and opened it. He only had to take one look inside and then send the group inside.

As soon as Harry stepped into the room, he felt his tattoo come to life under his skin. It was that moment when he realized he had come to the right place, that here he would find the answers to all his questions.

He saw his party disperse and take all the books and scrolls that referred to the philosopher's stone, Nicolas Flamel, Paracelsus, the chemical marriage, or simply named the three chemical substances mercury, salt, and sulfur. The Lestrange brothers worked side by side and seemed to filter quickly between books. Rookwood and Lucius worked their way through the loose scrolls, where his fathers and father-in-law started at the back of the room. When Rodolphus opened a book written by Paracelsus, Harry felt his tattoo grow cold and move like a viscous, cold liquid- that was the time he realized it was a trap.

Harry looked around warily and felt his fingers tremble in uneasiness. His heart rate rose and he nervously stroked Jormy's cool scales. He was hardly startled when a doe Patronus entered the room, Professor Snape's voice filled the room.

"They're coming. They could no longer be held up. They're coming."

All the masked wizards sprang into motion. They grabbed what they still thought promising and put the belongings in the bag that Rodolphus was carrying. Rodolphus called everyone to him and made sure everyone was accounted for before closing the bag and slinging it around his shoulders.

Without speaking, he grabbed Harry and pushed him through the door into the Hall of Prophecy. The rest formed a circle around Harry and Rodolphus. Their stance was focused and sharp, their steps quiet and measured. They walked effortlessly through the vast corridor, with rows and rows filled with white, shiny orbs.

Rookwood still led the way, opening the door that led to the second large room, which also gave access to- or at least Harry thought was- the Time Room. Loud bangs alerted the group to the arrival of other wizards and immediately had their wands at the ready.

"Remember," said Rodolphus in his deep voice, "use spells to hurt and hinder, not kill."

Rookwood opened the door into the long hallway that Harry had only dimly envisioned while talking to Bellatrix, but was immediately greeted by a quartet of wizards. Harry saw Mr. Weasley next to Nymphadora Tonks, and two others Harry didn't know the name of. Rookwood spread his arms and gestured with his hands to back away, knowing that a fight in a long, narrow corridor was undesirable.

He closed the door and ran to the right door of the three and flung it open. "Whatever you do, don't stand near the arch. If you must, send Order members to the bow, but don't stand near it. The call of the death is strong."

Harry ran into the room, which was huge, with a strange stone arch in the center that looked like a passageway to... something. He heard the door open behind him with an explosion and urged his feet to run even faster.

"Take the right corridor or the second from the left," Rookwood said as he fired spells backward. "These lead to the Atrium, from there you can take the Floo or Disapparate."

Harry ran to the right hallway, which was closest. He saw that Rabastan and the others were very close and realized that they worked together perfectly as a group. He still had a few yards to reach the correct corridor when he saw two Order members appear in the opening.

Harry automatically adjusted his route and ran to the other corridor, shouting to his family that the right corridor was guarded. He felt a hot red spell whizzing past his ear- it was obvious the other party had begun to attack.

Without looking, he pointed his wand at the source of the offensive spell and sent a " Confringo " to his pursuers. Hearing a loud scream, realizing that the spell had found its target, he chose to quickly look over his shoulder. What he saw put ice in his veins. He saw Mr. and Mrs. Weasley running after him, followed by Tonks, Hestia Jones, and Diggle, alongside three unknown wizards wearing Auror uniforms.

He felt the sharp stab of betrayal in his heart at the sight of the couple he had secretly adopted for a long time as a second set of parents. He used to go to Mr. Weasley when he needed advice and could go to Mrs. Weasley for a warm hug. At this point, Harry felt further removed from them than ever before and knew he would never be able to call the Burrow home again.

Before he could sprint into the second corridor from the left, he was stopped by Corvus' big hand. "We're surrounded, Harry. Stay behind me," he said in a low voice. Harry could easily disappear behind the imposing figure of his father-in-law, listening with keen ears as the footsteps slowly approached.

"Remember, stay away from the gate, if you accidentally fall, you'll fall forever," Rookwood said softly.

Harry had eight people protecting him. He felt Sirius take a step toward him to make sure he was unharmed.

"Such a rookie mistake," Lucius murmured as he watched them be surrounded by about six Aurors and at least ten Order members.

"Give us Harry Potter and we'll make sure you all get a fair trial. We can even promise that you'll have minimal interference with the Dementors during your stay in Azkaban. Because there's no question that you're going there," Kingsley Shacklebolt said with his low, deep voice.

Corvus stepped forward and removed his mask with his wand. "We do not agree to such a proposal. Let us leave and we promise not to cause you further harm."

Shacklebolt began to laugh scornfully. "Look around, Lord Lestrange. You are like rats squirming in a trap. I have people in every corner, an Auror or an Order member in every corridor. You are surrounded, you have no right to negotiate."

Corvus looked over his shoulder at Harry and gave him a quick wink. "Then there's only one thing to do, you'll have to pull Harry Potter out of my cold, dead hands because I'll never give him up."

Shacklebolt sighed deeply, "So be it."

Harry saw a curse fired at them from the left, when the spell lit up from the wand he could make out Alaric Savage's face well. He felt anger bubbling under his skin and unthinkingly fired an ' Everte Statum ' that knocked Savage back with immense force. He slammed the back of his head against a wall, after which he lay slumped. Harry felt a moment of complacency at the sight of the unconscious man, before returning to the rest of the battle.

The fight had already started. Where Savage had been the first to cast a spell at them, Harry's companions were now busy cursing themselves. Harry saw Sirius and Remus fighting back to back, completely in sync with each other; when Sirus took a step to the left, Remus next to the right, and when one stooped, the other cast a spell over his head at the adversary. If it had been a mock duel Harry could have enjoyed the beauty of their fighting style, but Harry tasted the dire necessity and worried for the welfare of everyone who had come with him.

Harry was held in place by Corvus' left hand behind his back. He was somewhat shielded from the battle but tried to shoot around the back of Corvus. His father-in-law held his own in battle and was extremely resourceful in his fighting style. For example, he had summoned a defensive smokescreen that obscures the view, allowing him to take out his opponents with fairly easy spells. However, he moved more slowly than his sons, who struck their opponents as bitingly as a cobra. But where he was slower than the others, he managed to go through unscathed by using clever strategies.

Rabastan's movements were swift and deadly. He went up against Tonks, who moved much more clumsily on her feet. Rabastan tripped her, and once nearly dropped her through the stone arch. However, the woman managed to grab hold of a stone pillar and quickly gathered herself to start the attack against Rabastan again. When he wounded her with a well-placed curse, she was assisted by Moody, who Harry could remember as her mentor on the Auror force.

The old man used powerful spells and clearly fought to kill. Rabastan had to duck from a particularly dangerous curse and then use a shielding spell to defend himself.

Harry watched helplessly as his beloved sat crouched under some sort of magical umbrella in a shower of offensive spells. He looked at the others who were also engaged in fights, often more than two to one.

Cold anger bubbled under his tattoo, the black lines came to life until Harry could see razor-sharp, smell, and hear all the malicious ones, watching its prey like an apex predator. However, he could also sense another presence, far in the back of his consciousness. He felt their hunger, their desire to obey their master, waiting for an order.

He sent a horn tongue hex to Tonks, which took effect immediately. The hex's impact was greater than he'd expected, as the woman began to spit blood as a horn protruding from behind her front teeth, through the top of her roof of the mouth. She screamed in pain, distracting Moody for a moment and allowing Rabastan to stand again. Robards, however, took the place of the badly wounded Tonks and quickly began casting deadly spells on Rabastan.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Bellatrix fall from a spell from Mrs. Weasley, and further on, he saw Sirius and Remus fighting five wizards. Harry felt a cold bead of sweat slide down his back and realized that something had to be done to turn the tide. When he heard Corvus moan and saw his hands clutch at his stomach- only to see red palms drenched in blood- Harry saw nothing, only black emptiness.

He couldn't hear the fighting anymore, there was just static noise, but at the back of his consciousness, he could hear a dozen voices close by. He felt their presence in the shadows and was strengthened by them. A blackened, dead hand slipped from the shadows and grabbed an Auror by the neck, then descended on its mouth with the rotting mouth.

"No," Harry said in a voice he didn't identify as his own, in a language he didn't recognize. "Take their joy and energy, but not their soul."

The Dementor immediately dropped the Auror from his gruesome hands and slid toward the next. The arrival of the ten Dementors caused much fear and confusion among the representatives of the Light. Savage, now regaining consciousness, fired a Patronus at the Dementors, but could only summon a faint haze. However, Moody was able to summon a corporal Patronus and fight five Dementors with it, keeping them at bay.

Harry gave the creatures directions in his head. The voices now filled his consciousness and asked for direction and permission. He used this communication with the Dementors to send them to Rodolphus and Bellatrix, who were fighting the most powerful wizards and witches.

The effect was great, the entire Auror force had its hands full, fighting the Dementors, allowing many of Harry's party to get out of their perilous positions. However, Bellatrix and Rodolphus also fell prey to the influence of the Dementors; their time in Azkaban had left deep scars, now open again from the proximity of the dark creatures. Without a doubt, Harry ran from the back of Corvus to the trembling forms of Bella and Dolf. He dropped to his knees and opened the Mokeskin pouch to take out his Happy Cloak. He laid the supple fabric over the couple and tied it around their necks. He then led them to a pillar against a wall far away from the battle, then rejoined the battle himself.

Before he could fire a single spell, he heard a loud bang and saw a dazzling light that instantly blinded him. A booming ' Expecto Patronum ' ensued and Harry felt his mind clear again from the influence of the Dementors.

When his sight returned, he saw Dumbledore standing in the center of the room. He easily defied the influences of the very old stone arch with a torn black curtain in it. He seemed not to hear the whispers and stood mighty in the midst of the stalled battle.

Harry could see several people lying around him. Some were shivering, obviously in shock from the Dementors' attacks, while others were bleeding from the attacks of Harry's family.

Dumbledore looked slowly around the room, his blue eyes twinkling defiantly as they searched for Harry. When his eyes finally fell on the smaller figure, clad in a purple cloak with a half-bone mask, he began to speak.

"Haven't you caused enough havoc, Harry?" said the Headmaster in a weary and disappointed voice. "Why did you have to turn to the dark where the light had always welcomed you with open arms?"

Harry felt Rabastan's hand on his shoulder, who squeezed his shoulder encouragingly. "Don't talk about renunciation, where the Light faction turned its back on him and only condemned him for mistakes through no fault of his own," Rabastan said in an icy tone.

Dumbledore shook his head and looked past Rabastan to Harry. "I speak only to you, my boy, if there is still something good in you then stop this madness."

Harry pressed his wand against his mask, which disappeared like smoke. Without covering his face, he looked at Dumbledore and defied his gaze, his chin held up proudly as he had seen Lucius before. "My allies did nothing wrong here, Headmaster, we weren't the first to fire offensive spells, we weren't looking for a fight. We also did not use deadly magic, we only used spells to defend ourselves, not to kill."

The blue eyes twinkled and the old wizard's mouth curled into an affable smile. "I'd say using Dementors is very dark magic, Harry, you can't tell me they aren't creatures to kill."

Harry's gaze hardened, his mouth twisted into a straight line. "The Dementors were only here to protect us, I ordered them not to take their souls from anyone, only their joy."

"Do you willfully admit that you are the Lord of the Dementors, Harry? Have you really joined the Dark?" said Dumbledore in a clear voice, his question clearly understood by all.

Harry suddenly felt a kiss on his cheek, and saw Rabastan's face next to him, looking proudly at him. He saw his father-in-law walk up to him and take a protective seat behind him. Their open support gave him courage for the following words.

"Magic is dark and light, ultimately it is the intent of the wizard - the wielder of that power - that determines whether the magic is bad or good. Being able to control the Dementors doesn't mean I would abuse that power, it just means I have a responsibility to use it for good."

Dumbledore sighed deeply and shook his head despondently. "There is darkness in you, my boy, more than I thought I saw when, as an eleven-year-old boy, you killed a teacher with just a touch. Forgive an old man his mistakes; I should have intervened then. However, I thought I saw your mother in you, more than the sheer evil of Voldemort that resided in your heart. After the murder of Professor Umbridge, however, I knew you would never again be the sweet boy who smiled happily at me when he was sorted at Gryffindor."

"That woman should never have been a professor at Hogwarts! Her death is not murder, but rather self-defense," Harry snapped with a grimace on his face.

"Admit it, Harry. Are you responsible for the horrific death of Dolores?"

Harry jerked his face away from Dumbledore and then looked back at the man with a bitter look. "Don't twist my words, Headmaster! I'm just saying that woman was so evil in her own right that her death couldn't possibly be murder. Manslaughter is even far-fetched when you consider what she did to many students!"

Dumbledore looked over the crescent lenses of his glasses. "Dolores should have gone to Azkaban in your opinion?"

"Without a doubt," Harry said with conviction.

The old wizard gestured to the right corridor and looked at Harry complacently. "Shouldn't you go to Azkaban then?"

Out of the shadows in the right corridor came Hermione and Ron, the second clearly resting on the shoulders of the young witch. Ron looked awful; dark circles lay beneath his hollow eyes, his cheekbones stood out sharply against the skin of his face, and where the skin was visible were many bruises- as if the boy had been beaten up yesterday.

"Look at your friend, Harry," Dumbledore said in a calm voice. "Look what you've done to him- aren't you as bad as Madam Umbridge, do you deserve to die as well?"

Harry looked into Ron's resentful eyes and Hermione's disappointed look. His old friends weren't here to support him, or lead him back to the light. No, they were here to condemn him, to back up the words of Dumbledore who seemed to want to be both judge and executioner.

"Ron beat me up, hurt me, with no accountability. As much as I am sorry that he has to suffer now, you could say that this is his karma."

Dumbledore dropped his shoulders and looked at Harry with pitying eyes. "I'm sorry to have to do this, my boy, but you really leave me no choice. I was hoping seeing your friend would awaken you again, but now I see you've been submerged in the waters of darkness for too long."

With those words, he aimed his wand at a pillar and shattered the stone. With a large, twisting motion above his head, he collected the grit, large and small fragments- only to hurl it at Harry with enormous force. Before the storm could hit Harry with stones, Corvus stepped in front of him and sent a powerful shield spell around them, crushing the rock fragments into fine sand. However, Dumbledore's spell was too strong for Corvus to hold back, causing him to get hit with one of the last large pieces of debris against his head, before falling unconscious and with a massive wound to the ground.

"Corvus!" Harry yelled, dropping to the floor next to his father-in-law. He searched for a pulse with trembling fingers, when he found it he looked at Dumbledore and pointed his wand at the old man.

"I'll take your vitality away, old man," Harry growled, his tattoo writhing wildly like a restless snake. Without realizing it, he spoke in the language of the Dementors and his eyes glowed like the Killing Curse. He walked over to Dumbledore, who fell slowly to his knees, gasping for breath.

"You are weak and pathetic," Harry said relentlessly. "Your time stops here." Dumbledore's hands clutched at his throat, a gurgling sound was all that could be heard as everyone stood watching Harry with bated breath. Harry knocked Dumbledore's hands away to replace them with his own. With an iron grip, Harry guided Dumbledore's head to his to suck up his life force. Seeing the light dim in the Headmaster's eyes and feeling his own strength grow, suddenly a rock hit his head hard- an enraged Ron stood over Harry.

"You dirty Death Eater!" he yelled, before kicking Harry hard in the stomach. "You should die, not Dumbledore, you!"

Everyone, who until then had been spellbound staring at the spectacle of Harry and Dumbledore awoke, and frantically started fighting again. Rabastan helped Harry up, where Sirius and Remus worked together to stabilize Corvus and float him out of the room.

Harry saw Lucius clear the way to the Atrium and worked hard to get everyone there safely. Harry sent around him quite harmless spells to disarm or paralyze, all the while continuing to run side by side with Rabastan. Harry hissed in pain as he felt a hot spell sear down his cheek and turned to retaliate. However, Rabastan pulled him along and shook his head grimly.

Arriving in the Atrium, Harry fell to the ground when a ' Diffindo ' sliced into his flesh. Rabastan immediately defended Harry and tried to hold off Mrs. Weasley and Shacklebolt by himself. When Mrs. Weasley sent another hex to Harry's back, the purple cloak began to move, snapped off Harry's neck, and flew to Mrs. Weasley to wrap itself around her neck and head.

Mrs. Weasley screamed, and Shacklebolt tried to pull the cloak off her with brute force, but with each tug of him, the cloak tightened its stranglehold. This distraction allowed Rabastan to cast a basic healing spell on Harry's back, allowing the raven-haired boy to scramble back up. Rabastan put Harry's arm around his shoulder and pulled him toward the Floo, searching for a suitable way out.

The pair were just passing the huge fountain that stood in the center of the Atrium when it exploded. Harry and Rabastan were blown sideways by the explosive force and landed yards away. Harry saw his wand lying several feet away and tried to drag himself on his stomach across the smooth stone floor.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw his fathers staring blankly as they pushed the unconscious figure of Corvus through the Floo. Sirius recovered first and ran towards Harry, only to be knocked down by a full body-bind curse after a few yards. Remus then gave up his wand when three were pointed at him.

Lucius and Rookwood were still actively fighting and didn't seem to lose any time soon. This strengthened Harry's resolve and he resumed his quest for his wand with renewed energy. Just before he could touch the stick with his fingertips, his hand was stepped on hard.

"Argh!" Harry cried out as he saw, with tears in his eyes, the cruel-looking Ron standing above him. As the red-haired boy lifted his foot to kick him in the head, Harry heard stumbling behind him and a hoarse voice.

"Nobody hurts my little raven!"

A red spell landed in Ron's chest, effectively throwing the boy against the wall, which was more than ten meters away. The impact immediately made him lose consciousness.

"Come on, Harry, we have to get out of here."

Rabastan pulled Harry up, then bent to pick up his wand and pressed the dark wood into the clammy hands of the trembling wizard. "Come on, darling, just a few yards."

However, their path was blocked by a fit-looking Dumbledore, who had his wand pointed at them. "I can't allow that, Lestrange."

Harry looked up defiantly and was about to aim his wand at Dumbledore when he heard a pedantic voice next to him.

"Ah, ah, ah, Harry. Lower your wand, or else this bitch will die!"

Harry looked to the left and saw Mrs. Weasley standing with Bellatrix in her arms, her wand pressed to Bella's neck. Harry could see with some gratification that the cloak had created welts around Mrs. Weasley's neck, but his eyes searched for Bella's.

"Don't do it, little Potterling. We'll see each other later," said Bella in a small voice, where she used to sound so powerful.

"Shut up, witch!" growled Moody. "There will be no reunion, as long as Potter cannot influence the Dementors, you will get the Kiss. I'll be surprised if you still live through the morning."

The ex-Auror's words left a lump in Harry's throat, sheer grief playing tricks on his judgment. He raised his hands slowly and let his wand fall to the floor. "Don't hurt her, please!" he begged, his eyes seeking the blue of Dumbledore. "If I surrender, don't condemn her to death, she's already suffered so much."

"As you wish, Harry," said Dumbledore in a tone that showed a repentant ruler. He gestured to some assembled members of the Order of the Phoenix, who then violently pulled Rabastan away from Harry.

"I wish it hadn't come to this, but here we are," Dumbledore said in his grandfatherly tone. He took from his pocket a recognizable stone, the same stone that had burned in Harry's hand, and placed it on the floor. Other members of the Order placed the same type of stone on the ground at five points of a star, with Harry in the center, creating a force field around Harry.

The effect was instantaneous. Harry felt his muscles twitch, causing Harry to jerk to the floor. He clenched his teeth painfully and tasted the blood as he bit his tongue. He refused to cry out, but resignedly endured the torture and tried to let the pain slip away. The pain stopped as suddenly as it had started when Dumbledore picked up his rock again from the ground.

"You bastard!" Rabastan snapped at him as he battled the magical bonds that held him back.

Dumbledore only smiled at the words and looked at the drooling figure of Harry. "Don't you understand what you've done, Harry? You have knowingly tortured and murdered people. Please understand that I cannot do otherwise."

Harry slowly lifted his face from the ground, his face flushed from the enormous pressure that had been placed on him earlier. "I couldn't help it. I cannot control my gift. That's why I'm here!" he shouted. "Those books, I need them to master it, I want- I don't want to hurt people!"

Dumbledore looked at Harry's frail body with pity and shook his head. "You had mastered your gift all along, Harry. Sure, I admit you had to grow in your strength, but you determined who got sick, you determined whom you took the life force from. Think back, why was it that Mr. Finnigan got sick. Why Ron, your best friend until then, was affected by your curse?"

Harry looked at him in disgust. "They hurt me, so they were automatically affected by the curse. I couldn't do anything about that."

Dumbledore laughed and walked over to Harry. He crouched a few feet away to look Harry straight in the eye. "Then why did your uncle die?"

Harry shook his head. "He starved me for years, kicked and beat me. I lost my sight because of him."

"Did your uncle do all this after you got this dark gift?" asked Dumbledore scornfully.

Harry shook his head. "After the Dementors attack on me and my cousin, he hit me again. He blamed me for the condition my cousin was in."

Dumbledore put two icy fingers under Harry's chin and lifted his head to look at him. "Then why did your cousin and aunt die, succumbing to the same mysterious curse as your uncle?"

"I don't know," Harry managed to say with a trembling lip. "They were punished for their old sins, I think."

"Ah, just like I thought," Dumbledore said, letting go of Harry's face. "If you could punish anyone for previous sins, why did you let Voldemort live?"

Harry blinked in surprise. "W-What?"

"You heard me, Harry. Why didn't you punish Voldemort for everything he did to you, if indeed you had no influence whatsoever over your dark abilities then surely he would be the first to go down?"

Harry scrambled up unsteadily and took a number of staggering steps toward Dumbledore. "I can't help it, I had no influence-"

"I believe, Harry, that I have just shown that you did influence your dark gift to some extent. If I'm not mistaken you had contact with your Death Eater lover right after, probably before the attack of the Dementors. It only makes sense that you didn't want to kill your lover's master, that you wanted to befriend him in order to steal his heart. You subconsciously decided not to punish Voldemort in order to connect with Mr. Lestrange. You were so desperate for love, you made the stupidest choice. You actively chose the Dark, you actively chose death."

Dumbledore then stooped to the ground again to put the stone back into the tip of the star. Immediately Harry was pressed to the ground again. He felt his blood boiling in his veins and cried out.

"You must be wondering what these stones are doing, Harry? Nicolas Flamel and I have both researched the Philosopher's Stone, the elixir of eternal life. However, we came across a dark ritual, formed by the same elements with which the stone was formed: mercury, sulfur, and salt. This dark ritual ensured that, as long as the conditions were met, the sorcerer could extract the life force from others in order to live forever. Fortunately, Nicolas had seen that most of these dark wizards went insane, not one could live longer than ten years with this dark power. Moreover, none of them had mastered the power, they could only deal with the side effects: the sudden death of loved ones or Dementors at their beck and call. However, Nicolas and I decided to create something to track down these dark wizards, something that would prove conclusively that the man or woman was dangerous to society. Something that would burn into the dark wizard's skin. Something that would create an explosive energy field from which the dark wizard could never escape."

He looked scornfully at Harry. "Do you see how deep you have fallen, Harry? You are no longer a champion of the light, just a servant of the dark."

Harry lifted his face from the floor with difficulty, the blisters that formed on his skin tightened through the taut skin. He searched with his green eyes for Sirius, Remus, and then Rabastan's. "I love you, Basty," Harry managed in a thick voice. "I wish we had more time together."

He turned his gaze back to Dumbledore and narrowed his eyes. "You are wrong, I am not a servant of the dark. I'm just a boy who fell in love with the most impossible choice. However, I got a chance to look past the mask, past his Death Eater persona, and could see the real Rabastan. I saw a brilliant Runes Master, who can walk through walls with his craft. I saw a man who sometimes thinks too much about sex, but above all has his heart for his family. A man who would do anything for me. The future father of my children. That's not darkness, that's not malice," Harry said in a hoarse voice. "Fuck... that's life, a balance between life and death. Who are you to judge?"

Dumbledore pointed his wand at Harry and smiled. "I showed that you are a murderer, everyone could see how you manipulated the Dementors and how you tried to kill me. I am within my right to act in the name of the British Magical Islands, they will thank me."

Dumbledore squared his shoulders and tightened his grip on the wand. "Avada K-"

Before he started the incantation, Jormy had been shot out of hiding; from the warmth of Harry's neck through the golden force field that crackled like electricity in the air. The serpent didn't open its mouth to bite the old wizard but let its body heat warm up as any Ashwinder could. The snakes were described as explosive creatures for a reason, as they could light most hot fires by burning their bodies up. Jormy's belly turned to gold/red, like molten lava flowing between his normally gray shells.

~"We Ashwinders huddle together in times of great sorrow. Family takes care of each other, even if it means sacrificing our own lives for the new that will rise from the ashes. Ashwinders die for each other."~ the snake hissed before making contact with the front stone, near Dumbledore.

Little Ashwinder's scorching heat changed the already explosive charge of the forcefield under which Harry lay. It caused a huge explosion with a beautiful white light followed by the hottest fire surrounding Harry. Dumbledore had been thrown backward by the huge bang and lay unconscious against the wall.

Harry, freed from the influence of the stones, stood unsteadily and looked around disoriented. Tears streamed down his cheeks when he saw only a black imprint of his snake on the ground, only ashes remained from his faithful companion.

"Harry!"

Harry fell to his knees crying, grieving for his friend. His ears were ringing from the explosion, he could no longer see clearly from the tears in his eyes. He could only feel pain; pain in his heart and in his bones, pain in his soul from the loss of his beloved serpent.

"Harry! Come on, we have to get out of here!"

Harry felt something tugging at him, but couldn't imagine anyone with him in the scorching heat that little Ashwinder's fire had caused.

"Pup, we have to go. We are the last. Come on!"

Harry blinked in surprise and saw his father pull him toward some crazy green fire.

"Little raven, hold on a little longer. Please, I can't live without you."

The last thing Harry saw was the green fire that sucked him away to another place. The last thing he tasted was the ash that tasted bitter on his tongue.

It was the taste of death, the taste of his family.

***

That was it, dear readers. This was the ending I always had in mind as I wrote the chapters, trying to take you through the ups and downs of Harry's life. I hope the ending is bittersweet, and that you forgive me for the death of my beloved character Jormy. As you have noticed, many things are still unresolved, for example, we do not know what the marks on Harry and Rabastan's skin mean exactly, and whether they have completed the ritual by now. A reader noted a few chapters earlier that we didn't see Harry and Rabastan getting married. What's next for Voldemort, or Dumbledore?

I'd love to hear what you thought of it, and if you'd like a sequel. A second story is already in the making (I now have a huge mind map full of ideas) but since I also have other stories running, I only want to start on this if there is a demand for it.

Thanks everyone for the great experience! Thanks for your encouragement and your ideas! Without you, dear readers, I could never have completed this story.

I adore you!

******

*update:

I have now started the sequel.  This fic is also on Wattpad: a Change of Heart.

A short introduction to the new story:

After the confrontation in the Ministry, Harry had to flee to the Netherlands, where the Lestrange family has a townhouse on the Amsterdam canals.  The books they brought with them from the Department of Mysteries offer no new information and their quest becomes more dire as they are pursued not only by the Order of the Phoenix but also by Voldemort who has a very different interest in finding Harry.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 94 7
The summer before the third year happens differently for Harry. The Harry that returns to Hogwarts is not the same one who left. Harry decides to mak...
12.1K 92 11
"Hear me out Harry," she continued, "both of us are under some amount of stress. It's not good to be that way. In order to release that stress, I fig...
2K 46 8
Being called the heir of Slytherin wasn't easy for Harry. Many students harassed him while the teacher stood by doing nothing to help. After months o...
412K 11.3K 65
''You seriously need to stop calling me your friend,'' Sebastian tells me in a low voice. ''Then what should I call you?'' I ask curiously. My stomac...