Until Then

By LiEmerald

Ever wondered what happened during the blank period after Sasuke left village, post war? Well, this is my tak... More

Prologue
Playlist no jutsu
Chapter 1 ~ Celebrations
Chapter 2 ~ Reunion
Chapter 3~ Ramen Time
Chapter 4~ Maybe
Chapter 5 ~ Always.
Chapter 6 ~Selfless love
Chapter 7 ~Moments
Part 8 ~ Encounters
Chapter 9 ~ When I find myself
Chapter 10 ~ The Sand
Chapter 11 ~ Friend
Chapter 12 ~ Letters
Chapter 13: Conversations
Chapter 14: Welcome
Chapter 15 : Tea with a dash of Nostalgia
Chapter 16 : Forgiveness
Chapter 17 ~ Friends Like These
Chapter 18 ~ Happy Birthday
Chapter 19 ~ She's Coming With
Chapter 20~ The Coldness of the Night
Chapter 21 ~ Peaceful Mornings
Chapter 22~ A Martyrs Death
Chapter 23 ~ Small Gestures
Chapter 25 ~ Friendships
Chapter 26 ~ Thank You
Chapter 27 ~ That's Enough
Chapter 28 ~ Better Left Unsaid
Chapter 29 ~ Next Time
Chapter 30 ~ Prolonged Feelings
Chapter 31 ~ Nights Are For Anything but Rest
Chapter 32 ~ By the River
Chapter 33 ~ More Than This
Chapter 34
Chapter 35 ~ The Feeling of Pride
Chapter 36 ~Salt Air

Chapter 24~ No More Hiding

1.7K 59 29
By LiEmerald

Clothes were scattered along the floor of her bedroom, spilling out of her closet. It wasn't very long ago that Sakura eagerly packed her carry bag for the road, and now she was back home, emptying out the contents of the last three weeks.

They would have to return eventually, but sooner came much quicker than later. She never really paid much attention to just where on the map they were headed while their travelling, but it wasn't hard to navigate the familiar surroundings she knew so well.

In her hallway sat a big full length mirror. Reflecting back was Sasuke who sat awkwardly on a barstool.

"Aha! Found it!" Sakura exclaimed, coming out of her bedroom, making sure to close her room door to hide the mess that she had been rummaging through.

She twirled a pair of scissors in hand, wondering just how they'd ended up in this situation only a couple hours after arriving home.

The first thing she'd done once opening up her apartment was run down to meet her best friend before her shift started at the hospital. Even though it was Saturday, work never really ever stopped in the health department. She congratulated Ino, and caught up for a bit.

She had the day off, actually the whole week too since she hadn't been sure for just how long Sasuke and her would've been gone for. But, now she was back and couldn't deny the anticipation and longing to be at the hospital tomorrow.

Just as she made her way home, she did a double take as she spotted...Sasuke? Was that actually Sasuke? She could recognize that face anywhere, but it surprised her to see him like that.

"Sasuke-kun? You cut your hair?"

He turned around, as soon as he'd heard her voice.

After explaining he'd cut it himself, the pinkettes eyes widended for a moment, not used to seeing him with such short hair compared to his usual spikey locks. It looked fairly neat for someone who cut their own hair and considering he hadn't even had the proper tools to do so.

"Come with me. I'll even it out for you."

And that was how they ended up back at her house as the Uchiha reluctantly followed.

Suddenly Sakura felt self-conscious to face him. It was her idea, so why was she so nervous that he was sitting infront of her. Ultimately she decided to start at the back of his head instead. She picked up the comb, running it through Sasuke's short hair to assess his doings.

She had a haircutting kit, so surely it wouldn't be so bad. Ino had done a relatively decent job on her hair when they were younger, and that was just with a kunai knife. Then again, Ino was much more knowledgeable in this area.

Carefully she evened it out, trimming just above the nape of his neck. Sasuke felt a quick chill down his spine as he involuntarily shivered at the contact of the tips of her fingers.

"Ah, sorry! My hands are cold."

"Hn"

She shifted her weight to the other leg- now standing infront of him. Even though he was seated on one of her stools, he still managed to be eye to eye with her. There was a time when they were the same height, and dare she say a tad taller than him.

His eyes were closed, almost tranquil in stance. He really was a beautiful human. Despite the lightening scars, which she could've easily healed completely, it seemed to adorn him rather than dim his beauty.

It felt like a strange sense of intimacy to feel so close from just these simple things. How could he be so calm? Did he get used to being around her to this extent?

"Ah okay, I'm done!"

He had done quite the number on his hair and she wondered if it had anything to do with how he was feeling lately. His bangs that once covered a portion of his face was now clean cut above his eyebrows, giving her a clear view of his mismatched eyes as they fluttered open.

She looked away, feeling the intensity of his stare and the proximity between them.

"I'll sweep." Sasuke said, standing up after lighly dusting away loose hair from his shoulders.

"No, it's fine!" Sakura cut him off, taking the broom instead. Sweeping up the locks of hair, she subconsciously touched her own. It was reaching her elbows now, it had been a while since she'd last cut it.

Maybe she would grow it out, and make the time to take care of it. But then again, even though things weren't as rushed as it had been before, she was still busy and short hair was just more practical for her to maintain.

"So, did you see Ino?"

His question warmed her heart a little bit, he was trying at small talk. Though it was not needed, because their silence didn't matter, his efforts however did.

"Yeah, I did. But Sai is out on a mission so I didn't get to congratulate him yet" Despite him now being engaged to her best friend, and their occasional banter- Sakura would always have a soft spot for Sai. He was her ex teammate after all.

That type of bond didn't just disappear. Wasn't Sasuke proof of that?

"Are you hungry?" She asked breaking the silence after setting aside the dustpan.

"A little. But I'll get something for us." Sasuke answered, motioning towards the door.

"Actually, it's been a while since I had some homemade food. I'll cook something instead." She smiled as she made her way into her small kitchen. "You don't have to." The raven replied.

"Yes, but I want to and-" stopping midway, she came to a realization as she eyed the empty shelves in her refrigerator glow. Well it wasn't as if it would have been magically restocked without her being there for so long.

"I'll just run down quickly and get some fresh vegetables for supper."

"What do you need? I'll get it."

'Well this is new.' Sakura thought. The Uchiha looked away, feeling self-conscious under her stare. Tearing off a yellow post-it note with her scribbled list of vegetables on it, she handed it over.

Left alone, she waited for the closing click of the front door before going to the bathroom. Splashing some water on her face, she looked up at the cabinet mirror.

Her cheeks were flushed, almost matching her hair which appeared to curl slightly at the tips. "Get it together, Sakura." She chided to herself,

Making her way back to the kitchen, she tidied up a bit before the gentle knock on the door caused her attention to shift. In came the Uchiha, holding two brown paper bags in his hand.

She smiled as he placed them on her kitchen counter, as if it was all so simple and natural. Putting on her apron, she started with the food.

"What should I do?"

"Hm, why don't you wash these." Sakura replied, passing him the sack of potatoes.

Sakura took a peek at him over her shoulder. What a sight that was. Emptying out the potatoes into a bowl, Sasuke ran it under the water. The slightly ajar kitchen window let in a warm evening glow, highlighting the tips of dark blue on his shortened hair.

This new haircut would need some getting used to. But it was honestly refreshing to see, as if he was accepting who he was without trying to hide it anymore. Plus his features were so soft in the light.

The sizzle of the oil snapped back her attention. Who would have thought Sasuke would be here cooking in her kitchen. Life was really strange, wasn't it?

"Sorry my table is a bit small." Sakura said sheepishly as she placed down a plate of salad. "I usually eat at the counter or at the hospital." -or buddled up in bed, but she didn't add that part which made her seem sloppy.

A recent recurring memory for Sasuke was sitting next to, or opposite Sakura during meals. Growing up, he always ate with his family around the dinner table, and then he was alone.

Team 7 had formed and so was a vacant seat for him during every meal and occasion. He once more fell, and darkness and loneliness crept back into his life. But here he was once again, sharing a meal he had helped to prepare after so many years.

It seemed to be a pattern, and he found himself in loop, which he now didn't want to get out of.

"It's okay." The raven replied, watching her through the cloud of hot stem from the pot between them.

Sakura couldn't deny how nice this all felt. It felt like she could actually see the subtle shift of things, like it was a new chapter in her life. Thinking back to what he had said to her while they were staying at the small Inn, 'But I know i want you here.'. Was this what he had meant?

Simple gestures, whispered questions until you fell asleep, trying new things, finding comfort and peace in each others presence, sharing meals? If that's what he meant, then heaven knew she wanted it too.

"Let's eat."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Hey guys! Omg it feels like forever since I've been here, probably because it has been....😀(too soon to joke about that again?)
I had to literally read this whole book again so I had an idea of where even did I stop in this story, which you guys know reading your own work is a cringe fest. 🙂

I'm going to be writng shorter chapters now so that I can update sooner, because writing the lengthier ones make me procrastinate more. 🥺
Also, let's catch up! What's going on with you? I love reading your comments and I'm so grateful so many of you still read this book!

Posted: 29 January 2022(wtf)
1:05am

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 73.6K 61
[ NarutoVarious x Reader ] [Reader is Naruto's sister ] __________ *original naruto plot gets skipped alot* 《 A story in which two clumsy ninjas find...
89.2K 3.5K 23
Naruto Uzumaki and Sasuke Uchiha are normal college students. They're best friends and have two wonderful girlfriends, but when they wake up one day...
206K 6.1K 18
The war has ended, but nothing is as it should be. Team 7 is always busy and never see each other. Then they are sent on a mission to the Land of Win...
234K 5.9K 70
"Team 7, Uzumaki Naruto, Uchiha Sasuke and Hyuuga Hinata." "I-I will be with Naruto-kun?!" Have you ever wondered what it would be like if Hinata b...