WWII: A Railway Series Tale

By thesovereign5MT

Dear Readers, War is a terrible, terrible event. One that cannot be prevented nor stopped. When the fire is s... More

Prologue
Chapter I - Double Header
Chapter II - It's Bridget, Not Margaret
Chapter III - Homecoming
Chapter IV - Happy Ever After
Chapter V - A Child, Some News, An Attack
Chapter VI - Too Close for Comfort
Chapter VII - The Flood
Chapter IX - The Struggle
Epilogue - Condolences

Chapter VIII - The Balahoo Blitz

145 3 0
By thesovereign5MT

The Fat Controller sat in his office. He was writing a letter to his mother in England. The letter said:

November 1944

Dear Mother,
I hope all is well with you. This war seems to be putting up a great fight. It's amazing how long this war has lasted. My engines are working their wheels off to support the island, but this war poses such a threat that our Edward has had a great deal of stress. Did I tell you about his near miss with a biplane a few years ago? Such a brave engine, I'm so thankful they're safe... for now. I wish all the best for your safety. I'll try to visit soon.

Much love,
Topham

He sighed, addressing the envelope. "My railway is my family.. I don't know where I'd be, or who I'd be without them." he thought to himself solemnly. The Fat Controller took the envelope and left his office. He was surprised to find the station empty, bar his assistants listening to the radio. There was only one train scheduled for the evening, and it wasn't scheduled to depart yet, but in the back of his head, The Fat Controller felt a sense of dread. "What's all this then?" he asked the group. "Listen." said one of the men, "The Queen is making an announcement."

The Fat Controller listened.

"This is an announcement, but also a warning to the people of Sodor. We have received word that our enemy will attack the Island of Sodor. All residents and those nearby should take the necessary measures and properly find safety. God save us all." The Queen said, her voice sounded crusty from the frequency.

At the same time, the entire island listened to the speech. It wasn't long before the cold weather became chillier, and a mist rolled in from the sea, making it hard to see. The engines were scattered across the island, Edward and James at Tidmouth, Percy at Arlesburgh with the Wellsworth and Suddery Engines, Henry at Vicarstown, and Thomas, Bridget, and Gordon at Knapford. This was done intentionally and unintentionally, as the engines were ordered to stay where they were. Knapford, being one of the bigger stations on the main line, was perfect for sheltering a Pacific and two tank engines underneath its large canopies. People turned out their lights, blew out candles, and huddled together in their homes as the air raid sirens sounded.

The radio gave updates for as long as possible before they simply stopped, leaving behind an eerie static crackling. Thomas looked around the yard, the armoured military wagons and vans sat nearby, covered by tarpaulins. The little engine wondered if they would ever see use. "Now would be a good time to put those armoured trains to good use, wouldn't it?" Thomas asked, trying to make conversation with the other engines next to him. Bridget scoffed, and Gordon simply ignored him. He wasn't doing so on purpose. He seemed to be concentrating on something.

"I see. No point in talking then because -"

"Quiet!!!" Gordon hissed. "I hear something, it sounds like an explosion in the distance. It must be on the other side of the island."

Thomas and Bridget listened closely, and heard it too. Mr. Watson came running out of the Knapford office with a decorated man. "You three! I just got a telegram from Vicarstown saying that the Nazis are attacking Balahoo. Defense is holding up, but we need more help! Take the armoured trains and follow the mainline!" Mr. Watson said loudly. The decorated man revealed himself to be a general of the Royal Air Force of Sodor. He hopped in Gordons cab. Thomas and Bridget took the wagons and smaller guns, while Gordon carried the biggest rail gun in front. They travelled as fast as they could to the other end of the island, keeping an eye out for danger.

The explosions evolved into the sound of bullets and planes, the occasional explosion from a falling plane. In the fog, it looked like fireworks. As the cavalcade drew closer to Henry's Tunnel, a plane spotted the group. A group of men stood at the top of the hill in which the tunnel ran through, shouting in German. The plane chased the engines through the tunnel, going through the first borough, and the engines in the second. The pilot, realizing his mistake, screamed in agony as the wings of his plane broke and the body exploded upon impact. Thomas whistled loudly as the tunnel rumbled. "The other tunnel is collapsing! Hurry!" Thomas pushed Bridget with a bump. "Don't die, don't die, don't die!" Bridget yelled loud and long as they emerged from the tunnel, smoke and fire flew out of the other hole where the plane exploded.

Gordon, Thomas, and Bridget stopped not far from where they exited the tunnel. It felt like the loneliest part of the line. The explosions stopped, screams silenced.

Nothing.

"Is it over?" Bridget asked. The general stepped out of Gordon's cab and joined his men next to one of the utility vans. "It seems like it's over. I say we should investigate in a little while." the general answered. "Good thing we're alive." Thomas sighed with relief. "But we're not alone." Gordon muttered. "What's that light?" Thomas asked cautiously.

-

Out of the fog shone a singular, brightly lit light. The vehicle in the fog looked ghostly with its lone lamp, almost as if it were a one-eyed truck. "What in the devil?" Gordon murmured in a serious tone, squinting his eyes to try to make out the queer object whirring in the mist. "What is it?" Thomas asked nervously.

"If only I knew, little Thomas."

The whirring turned to exhaust sounds, and they were nearer and nearer to Thomas and Gordon. "Our paint should hide us in the fog, right Gordon?" Thomas asked the big engine.

"Surely, if we were stuck in pitch black, Thomas," Bridget wheeshed in annoyance.

Gordon shut them up, and said "You lot get behind me, I'll protect you both in case the intruders are a threat." he told them, and the two tank engines obeyed him.

"Whoever you are, show yourself." Gordon bellowed amidst the heavy fog. The one-eyed vehicle took no notice. "Why won't it listen?" Bridget pondered.

"Shh!" Gordon shushed in concentration.

"State your purpose, or we will have no choice but to interfere!" Gordon rallied again. This time, there was a response, a loud, blaring horn sounded as the vehicle came closer and closer.

There, emerging out of the fog, was an olive green lorry. He had a large, mobile crane mounted on his truck bed, and was very dirty. He wasn't alone. A small fleet of military lorries were with him, but their lamps were out.

Thomas was confused. "But why? It is extremely hard to see in this heavy fog, and without a lamp, it would be dangerous to travel, unless...." he thought to himself.

"Evening, chaps. You wouldn't happen to be a NorWester', would you?" The lorry asked, his one lamp flickering on and off.

Gordon stared at the lorry coldly. Thomas decided to break the silence "Yes, we're Sir Topham's engines. Why?" he asked.
"Packard, we've found them." the lorry said blankly without warning. Gordon's face went white.

"Blast that dinky little engine" he thought to himself "He's gone and blown our cover. These could be spies."

"Excellent work, Kelly." said a voice. Stepping out of the lorry's cab was a young commander with fiery red hair that shone radiantly in the flickering light of Kelly's lamp. "I beg your pardon, but who are you?" Thomas asked curiously.

"Commander James L. Packard, Sudrian Squad 17. You must be one of the North Western Railway's engines." the man introduced himself sharply.

"Indeed. But why are you here?"

"My squad and I have been assigned with protecting the Crovan's Gate region of Sodor, where there is a higher risk of intruders from the mainland. We can't trust anyone, it seems." Packard explained.

Everything started to add up. "Apologies if we gave any of you a startle" Kelly apologized respectfully.

"Upon our arrival at Vicarstown, there was an abush from the Sudrian Sea as we crossed the Rolling Lift Bridge. We're lucky that we sustained a few broken headlamps, but it was indeed a close call." he explained.

Gordon sighed. "A close call such as what your...erm..Pack, experience is why we were very startled when we first saw you arrive."

"Gordon's right! We heard what sounded like guns shooting at something and other noises, so we made a decision to find a safe place." Bridget added.

Kelly looked around "I suppose Balahoo Tunnel is quite sheltering against heavy artillery." he said with admiration. "Way to go, Topham!" said a boisterous voice. Another lorry, different from Kelly, pulled up alongside the mobile crane. Kelly cleared his throat with embarrassment. "I -erm...I apologize for Patrick, he tends to speak his mind with practically everything." Kelly sighed and gave Patrick a cold glare. "Aye, I'm a very plain speaker, ye heard?" Patrick belted. "That will do, soldier." Packard silenced the obnoxious lorry.

Gordon interjected, "We just came from the tunnel. We almost got killed when the enemy flew a plane into one of the boroughs. We were going to check the damage, but we should head to Vicarstown and seek shelter until morning."

"Righto! You heard the engine! Saddle up, soldiers!" Kelly riled up his team. Soon, the engines and their new allies started the journey to Vicarstown, where Henry would be waiting for them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 80 6
So, I'm going to be spinning a Fairytail version of a classic fairy tale, Little Red Riding Hood. I hope you like it! If you'd like me to put differe...
193K 5.7K 71
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
71.5K 4.4K 200
THE SO-CALLED "SEQUEL" OF THAT PREVIOUS BOOK I HAD WHICH IS THE SAME TITLE BUT WITHOUT THE "TWO" AT THE END The concept is the same thing as the prev...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...