Amber Scales [Jeon Jungkook]...

By Jeoncologist

More

Greetings!
Chapter 2: The Secret Meadow
Chapter 3: The Unknown Melody

Chapter 1: The Unexpected Meet

58 6 11
By Jeoncologist

"Ella, could you please collect wood from the forest. We ran out of them this morning?"

Out of a kitchen nook came an ageing voice. The person was seated at the dining table on the ancient oak chair that belonged to her late lover.  Her weak eyes stared on her wrinkled hands, picking only fresh green leaves and putting them in a dish for the stew that would be served later for supper. Her huge round old spectacles perched on the small slope of her nose-bridge.
When the greens were done, the carrots were the next.

The young lady in question, Ella, peered through the partially cracked window at her grandma from the backyard of their modest home. She carefully set the heavy pail of well water before hurrying inside. She wiped the little beads of sweat that had formed around her forehead because of the intense heat of the noon with her palms by the edges of her apron. Ella said gently, "Yes, Grandmother," and grabbed for the basket in the nook of the little kitchen. She had crafted it from wild grass.

"Dear, be cautious while you go.  And hurry back before dark, not staying any longer than necessary. Even if you are familiar with the wild routes, the forest will always be hush and wild." the old woman sternly admonished, her narrowed eyes throwing a warning stare through the area over the rim of her glasses.
"What mysteries are concealed inside is unknown to us. Always be on your guard." She was serious.

Ella sighed softly. She kissed the old woman's creased cheeks and murmured, "Don't worry, grandmother, I'll be back before you know it," and hopped out happily from the front door with a beaming smile.

The woman giggled to herself, "What will I do without her?"

**✿❀✧❀✿**

Ella was gathering broken, dry twigs as she hummed the tune her grandma taught her. She didn't mind her loosened raven waves lightly swinging in the wind as they cascaded over her shoulders and up to her lower back. Few smaller draped across her eyes.

Even though she had no recall of her parents' faces because they passed away before she could crawl, her grandma often reminds her of the feminine traits she acquired from her mother. It made her feel proud and special.

There were days when the piercing pain sidled out from the deep fissure that had been left open in her heart since childhood, but her grandmother was always there to cuddle little Ella to her bosom and reassure her, "They are always watching over you, my child,"until little her fell asleep.
The elderly lady meant everything to her. She couldn't have asked for anything more.

Ella's concentration was broken by a little butterfly beating its wings on her nose tip then landing on her knuckle groove. She gave the small bug a kind look and used her fingertip to lightly stroke its wing much carefully. She was concerned that the teeny insect might be broken by her delicate touch.

Butterflies...Despite their little size, she has always been inspired by their perseverance in overcoming difficulties in life.

Strength is comparable to courage. She learned it from them.

The butterfly flies away from her soft hands and towards the new destination, her brown orbs pursuing it in the sky.

Maybe life is more valuable to animals than to us. Her restrained grin turned into one of disappointment. When her diversion flew out of view, she picked up where she left off and resumed counting the sticks.

**✿❀✧❀✿**

As the sun bid its brief goodbyes, falling to the horizon, the once humid air of the afternoon gently started to embrace the crispness of the evening. In the utter calm, a thin, almost undetectable layer of mist was forming close to the earth's surface, enhancing the alluringly untamed aroma of wild foliages in the atmosphere.

Ella was late.

She was certain that by then, her grandmother's ageing ears would be releasing fuming steams.

She will soon contend with the consequences of her tardiness, as well as the heavy punishment for disobeying the rules that were set for her own welfare. Her limbs continued to move quickly as she pondered, "What reason should I give this time?"
Her mind juggled many appropriate responses. Unfortunately, due to a lack of suitable footing, her foot stumbled. When she tripped in haste, a slew of sticks held tightly in her left hand and waist fell to the ground.

A low howl reached her ears, snatching her attention from the feet and abruptly look ahead.

Her limbs ceased and breath stuck in her lungs when she noticed queer amber jewels shining in the otherwise black surroundings like ember stones in far distance. She wasn't sure what it was until it's shadow creeped from dark corner into the twilight light.

Another low wail resonated but now, source was right in front of her eyes. Much closer than before.

Ella could feel her heart sinking in the pit of her stomach as fear crept around her neck like a vice grip that her scream was muffled back in the voices. When the creature blew a breath in her face, she flinched reflexively. Her legs didn't take a step back as its smaller horns grazed her face, unable to comprehend the unexpected scenario she was thrust into.

Cautiously, the beast sniffed her fragrance.

She let out another impulsive hiss when its little horn surrounding its nares scraped the flesh of her neck. Her  thoughts went blank, her breathe became more rapid.  Her palms were already damp with sweat.

The beast drew his massive head back to look into her terrified eyes. He took a step back to provide a little space.  Ella was taken aback by the gesture, as if the dragon understood her predicament. His respectful little bow reinforced her assumptions.

She hesitantly reached out to touch his golden scales. She knew the beast had no intention of hurting her. But the real question was why he was there. Dragons, as far as she knew, belonged in the northern realms.

There was a time when humanity and dragons coexisted peacefully. They were the two energy forces produced by nature. Human bodies were frail, but their emotions were substantial.  Dragons, on the other hand, were far more fragile on the inside than humans. Their greed compelled them to take what they believed was rightfully theirs. Things were initially attempted to be addressed through understanding, but as time passed, ungrateful occurrences grew worse, resulting in a war for separation.
The conflict was actually a disaster for both types. Many generations have been killed as a result of the tragic past.

The creature moved aside to open the way for her.

Ella was hesitant to make any action since she was amused by the kind behaviour of the creature before her. She couldn't believe her eyes were actually witnessing him live, but then she recalled her grandma, who was surely waiting for her. It was her only option for a quick getaway.

As she passed his gigantic body, her walk was slow and careful. Her uneasiness was raised by the unsettling sensation of his eyes lingering on her every tiny exertion. The basket, which she had felt heavy before the unexpected meeting, had no bearing on the stressful scenario. Her senses were all heightened in anticipation of any deceptive acts from behind, but happily, nothing happened to her expectations, which she was relieved about.

Her feet increased their speed gradually. She let out a stifled sigh and cast a glance to check whether the dragon was still there, and she got her answers when her eyes met his magnificent ambers in the dark.
Small shimmering strands spilled from his fire breath as his tail trembled slightly. His amber scales shone like the sun rising in the depths of the night. His silhouette seemed so beautiful and regal that she wondered whether there was anything more gorgeous than his scales. It was as if his scales were encrusted with precious gold.

The sparkle in his eyes faded as her feet marched out of the woodland.  They were completely immersed behind the layers of forest life. 
As though a secret supposed to be kept safely in the wild, hidden from the world outside.....

The girl was delighted to see the familiar oak board wrapped in wild tendrils on hinges, waiting for her to open it. Warm light from within filtered through the small space  beneath the door. Her owl, perched on the little pole, cocked his head, as if puzzled by her depressed mood.

Yes, she was relieved that she had safely returned home. But, with her palm nuzzled in the rusted handle, why did she gaze back towards the direction she came from, joyful but sad?

Ella pushed open the door, letting go of any nagging worries in the back of her mind and soaking her skin in the comfortable warmth of her home. She entered with a now-half-filled basked at her side, half of which had been emptied due to her tripping in the forest.
Why was the cold she felt outside more pleasant than her home's snug fresh aroma of rosemary and thyme?

She hesitated as she placed the basket near the chimney. She didn't realise she was looking at the charred remains within the fireplace until an old familiar voice came from behind her.

"You are late. What were you doing ?"

Ella turned around, but felt a heavy weight under her chest when she saw the teary eyes of her grandmother.

Greetings.
If you like the chapter and believe it is worthy of your vote and affection, please do not hesitate.
Take care.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

438K 10.9K 60
𝐋𝐚𝐝𝐲 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐇𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐝𝐨𝐧, 𝐝𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥-𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝, 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲, 𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥-𝐫...
199K 7K 96
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
363K 13K 57
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 Ellie Sloan reunites with her older brother when her hospital merges with his jackson avery x ellie sloan (oc) season six ━ season se...
134K 15.6K 22
"𝙏𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛, 𝙜𝙞𝙧𝙡. 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙞𝙩" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...