Eyes of the Blood Moon

By Gemmy4

Ella Marin grew up on the small island of Crocket. She recently moved back hoping to escape the troubles in h... More

New Priest in Town
The Son Returns
The Seventh Sunday
Plauge
The Creature of the Woods
Crock Pot Luck
Swimming in the Sky
Addiction
Night of the Western Sun
Moon Drunk
Pains of the Past
Shitstorm
Love on Ice
Will the Circle be Unbroken
The Red Means I Love You
Darkness Hides Me
Remember We Are Dust
To Dust We Shall Return
Behind the Scenes
Free Fall
Delicate
Back on Track
Always for Her
Blood Moon Rising
Feeding Frenzy
Morning Glow

In the Eyes of a Miracle

408 24 3
By Gemmy4

(Art above is from Picrew.me I created the picture with a template made by RavomU3U,  their watermark is in the picture, all the credit goes to them)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*knock, knock*

Ella woke to the sound of banging on a door. Confused, she sat up on a leather sofa, before remembering she had spent the night at The Sheriff's house.

*knock, knock*

Ella didn't see Hassan or Ali coming to the door, so she decided to open it.

She stood up from the couch, knocking Pebbles off of her.

She walked over to the door sleepily, dressed in a navy blue sheriff shirt which was much too large on her.

She opened the door, surprised to find Father Paul standing there.

He looked equally surprised to see her, answering the Sheriff's door at 8 in the morning, wearing one of his shirts and nothing else.

Her tried brain took her about 80 seconds to realize the situation.

"Good morning," she said with a sleepy smile.

"Ella? What...?" he asked eyeing her up and down.

"Uh...oh yeah sorry about this. Are you looking for the Sheriff?" She asked.

He swallowed nervously and nodded as she let him in.

"Did you spend the night here?" He asked, looking over at the blanket and kitten on the couch.

"Yeah...yeah. Uh it's not what it looks it, I just had a bit of a scare, embarrassingly enough. Kinda ran here, in the middle of the night," Ella explained.

"Scare? From what?" He asked nervously.

Ella shook her head. "D-doesn't matter. Probably just a nightmare."

"So you came here?"

"It's kinda just where my feet lead me. Plus the Sheriff-" she stopped herself from over explaining and looking like a lunatic. "Anyways, what did you come here for?"

He looked at her suspiciously for a moment before shaking his head, letting it go. "Yes, I am here to see Sheriff Hassan. Is he in?"

Ella nodded, "pretty sure. I just woke up."

Suddenly they heard the door open and shut behind them, both turning to see the Sheriff walk in with a coffee tray.

He paused at the sight of Father Paul, standing in his living room.

"Um Els I got you some coffee," Hassan said, handing her the warm cup. "I know how you like to start your mornings."

"Ah, thank you! So you were at the store?" She asked taking a sip of the hot drink.

"Yeah we had a long night. I feel asleep on the chair," he chuckled. "Figured we could use the caffeine. Anyways, Uh Father Paul is it?" He asked turning to the man, who looked angry about something.

Paul immediately perked up and put on his smile again. "Yes. I came to speak with you, but instead found Ella here."

"I should probably get going anyways. Thanks for everything Hassan, and I'll see you at the church later Father," she said dismissing herself, grabbing up Pebbles who had made himself comfortable on the chair Hassan had slept on, her clothes, and walked out the door into the crips morning air.

As she walked closer to home she began to feel more and more anxious again. She still couldn't decide if what she had seen the night before was real or not. The sheriff believed that it might have come into town, looking for food, and Ella began to worry that it was looking for Pebbles. Maybe knowing he was there because it had seen him before, when it scared the living shit out of the poor boy. She kept asking herself,

What if it comes back? We still don't have a clear idea of what this predator may be. But it's big and it ate an entire population of cats. Maybe the Sheriff should get some professionals over here to check it out.

She kept worrying all the way home. She felt a sick feeling in her stomach as she entered, but decided to push through it.

Maybe I should've left Pebbles at the Sheriffs house. I don't think he should be alone while I'm at the worship.

She changed into a top and a skirt when she noticed the pamphlet for the Hoe Down she had dropped when she ran out last night.

She sighed to herself. She wanted to go...but she'd most definitely see Riley there. And it hurt, knowing she wouldn't be going there with him.

Finally, deciding not to let her pride stand in the way any longer, she thought to apologize to him at the church later, knowing he'd be there. She wanted her best friend back.

Ella walked back to Hassan's house on the way to the church. She had Pebbles, his food bowl, and the Sheriff's shirt with her. She decided it would be best, not leaving Pebbles alone. She didn't want to take any chances.

He opened the door and gave her a friendly smile as she explained to him why she was there.

"Yeah of course. Ali'll be excited about it. He met Pebbles this morning and the two hit it off," He laughed in his deep, sultry laugh.

Ella looked down feeling her cheeks warm up. The Sheriff rarely laughed, but it was such a nice sound.

She handed Pebbles and the other items off to him before saying goodbye and heading off to the church.

"Oh Els?" He asked. She turned around to face him, an inquisitive look in her eyes. "Will you be at the Hoe down tonight?"

"I never miss a Crocket event," she replied sarcastically.

He laughed again and nodded before turning away and closing the door.

Ella thought it was odd but chose not to dwell on it.

She met Erin outside the doors of the church where Bev and Father Paul were standing, greeting people.

"Should we wait here for Riley? We could sit with him, you know, make him feel less like a loser than sitting with his parents," Erin laughed.

Ella sighed. "I'm not really speaking with Riley right now. We sort of got into a fight yesterday."

"Wait really? You two? You like never fight," She pointed out.

"Well this one was harsh," Ella replied getting annoyed.

"But you guys always dance together at the hoe down. Remember? You lead and Riley steps on your toes, ends up tripping the both of you and it's extremely entertaining for the rest of us to watch?" Erin responded.

Ella laughed slightly. "I know...I planned on apologizing today. But I don't want to do that during the middle of the sermon. Let's just go take our seats."

Erin nodded and followed her in.

*****

Father Paul watched as Erin and Ella walked passed him, into the church.

He noticed Ella's bandage around her arm still. He wondered if she was on his trail yet, he needed to know what she knew.

"Good Morning Father!"

He turned to see little Leeza, rolling her way up the ramp into the the church, dressed in a pink fluffy jacket.

And then he could sense it. He could see the blood running through her veins, he could feel the healing in the air.

It was time.

*****

The worship went on as usual. Began with a hymn, and then listened to the words of God for an eternity.

Ella had been distracted the entire time. She kept looking over at Riley, who looked just as stoic as ever. His face was the same, tired and expressionless. She wondered if he had even realized that he hurt her. What if he hadn't? Then she was just apologizing for a situation that wasn't entirely her fault.

Then she watched him turn to look at her, suddenly the entire world faded away as their eyes met. Whatever Father Paul was rambling about faded to the background. He looked at her, his dark eyes full of sorrow. He really did feel bad.

Just then there was a sharp pain in her elbow. She looked over to see Erin had elbowed her, and she pointed up to Paul, who was just finishing his sermon and leading communion.

Ella looked back at Riley but he to was paying attention to the Father.

She switched her attention on the communion. Something didn't feel right, she could tell. The air felt heavy with deception.

She stayed fixated on the man as he took the goblet and handed it to Leeza. She took a sip, then he offered her the bread. Ella got ready to stand to go get in line, but quickly realized a commotion had broken out.

She looked up again and saw Father Paul, was completely frozen, not handing the bread to Leeza.

She reached up for it, but he held it away.

Ella felt her heart sink, what in the world was going on? Was he playing a cruel joke? That didn't seem like him...

Everyone waited in silence, as Leeza tried to reach out again. This time, he walked backwards up the stairs.

"Father!" Wade shouted standing up, ready to defend his daughter who looked heartbroken.

"Stop!" Ella cried out, standing as well.

"This is cruel!" Erin added getting on her feet.

Murmurs broke out as everyone watched the man usher for Leeza to get the bread.

Ella clenched her fits, feeling anger rising in her chest. Not only was Leeza, a girl she had known since she was born, completely devastated, Father Paul was not who she though he was. He was a monster!

But Ella's view of him became obscured...by a girl with curly hair in a pink fluffy jacket who stood up in front of her. Leeza.

The entire church let out a collective gasp as people watched in disbelief.

Leeza began to walk. Something she was promised she could never do again.

She took small, slow steps up the stairs and stopped in front of Paul, who had the same kind smile, handing her the bread finally.

Leeza turned around and began to cry, running into her moms arms.

Ella felt tears flow down her face as well. She'd just witnessed a miracle...that Father Paul had preformed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

137K 1.9K 11
[NOW PUBLISHED BY LIMITLESS PUBLISHING] A deadly game is being played. The question is . . . who will survive? *** As she waits to give her statement...
996K 25K 61
In an instant his lips were on mine, and without even knowing how, I felt myself succumbing to him. I pulled away quickly, but both of his hands went...
1.6M 44.7K 35
Elena Morelli loves two things. Her family and baking. She's learned to bake with her nonna and her father since before she could reach the counterto...
63.3K 1.4K 22
Aria Phoenix, a girl who is not afraid to kill and or to be killed; a girl who don't trust people easily; a girl from the most respected family betwe...