Postgrad Partners

By ThirteenthLight

As Tori is about to leave LA for a record deal in Miami, she and Jade hastily decide to move in together and... More

Meeting the Parents
Roommates First
Domestic First Day
Why is she here?!
Heart to Heart
Tori and Jade's First Date (Sorta)
Overwhelmed
Out and Proud
Intimate Interlude
The New Talent
Covers and Contemplation
Mysterious New Girl
Jade and the Short Stack
Interlude in Dreams
Tori and Tara
Aftermath of the Not-Date
Mother and Daughter
The Night to Remember
The Morning After
Questionable Questions
West's Side Story
Glad to Have You
Emotional Support
The First Date (For Real This Time)
Summer Day's Contemplation
Summer Day's End
A New Year's Jori
#MakeupDate #CaTara
4 Years to the Day
The West-Vega Wedding...or is it Vega-West?
Our Future Together

Neutronium's Newcomer

146 4 23
By ThirteenthLight

Even in the well-lit living room of their apartment in the middle of the afternoon, Tori still found herself tucking her face into Jade's side like when they watched The Scissoring on their last night in LA.

With every loud zombie wail blaring on their TV, Tori cringed into Jade, who only smiled as she expertly pulled the trigger of her PlayStation controller three times in a row, her character on screen executing the enemy like it was second nature.

Peeking out again as the game transitioned to a cinematic, Tori pouted, "Since when did video games look this realistic and...uncanny?!" The last word emphasized as the TV displayed a very detailed floor littered with undead corpses.

"Sounds like you've only been playing cartoony kids games all your life, honey," Jade smirked as she set her controller down to stretch her fingers, "Meanwhile, I've been eating up horror games like this since I was little. How do you think Beck got his character down so easily in that movie?" She pointed smugly to herself before picking up the controller again.

Tori relaxed back on the couch, sitting properly as she saw the character Leon Kennedy in all his high-definition detail; from his blood-stained police uniform to his hair that somehow managed to stay unkempt despite all that carnage. "Well, I can clearly see why you enjoy this game," Tori scoffed at each gratuitous camera angle. "You get to stare at this...wonder boy...the whole time."

Jade scoffed back, "Oh...yeah. Totally." She blinked in anticipation, trying not to let Tori catch on to the real reason she enjoyed playing this game again and again, but as soon as the femme fatale Ada Wong appeared on screen, Jade's face almost turned as crimson as the character's dress. Her sudden blush was so visible, even Tori would have caught it...if she wasn't blushing as well.

"Damn..." Tori's thought was accidentally verbalized, making Jade's head jerk toward her. Quickly realizing the slip, Tori picked up her empty glass and jumped out of her seat, "D-Damn! I'm all out of lemonade! I'mgonnagetsomemore!YouwantsomeJade?!"

As Jade stared at her girlfriend spastically moving toward the kitchen, she chuckled and paused the game to get up as well, taking her empty glass with her.

The couple each took a turn pouring the cold drink into their respective glasses and stood next to each other over the counter to gather themselves. "Cooled down enough yet, you dork?" Jade teased, bumping her shoulder against Tori's.

Tori composed herself and smiled back, taking a sip from her glass. "Y-yeah. I was surprised, at first, when you got that PlayStation from our shopping day. I never really pegged you as a gamer..."

Jade blinked, "Uhh...you know that logo on my bag there is from a game, right? The bag I've literally had since high school?" She nodded toward her Gears of War bag slung over one of the dining room chairs.

"I-I thought that was just a generic skull design, like you see all the time at Hot Topic!" Tori bit her lip and looked away to hide her blush; a blush that Jade easily caught and laughed to.

"Chill out, Tori! I'm just glad there's still a lot we don't know about each other, even after all this time," Jade smiled and wrapped her free arm around Tori's shoulders, "That gives us a lot to learn during our time together."

The thought filled Tori was joy, though she quickly realized something and asked, "So have you told your mom that you're staying? That this isn't just a summer trip?"

Jade set her glass down and gripped the counter tightly, "Not yet. I just haven't found the right way to tell her yet. We've been so busy since...you know? I only just called the Weston Theater today to tell them I'd be coming by tomorrow for the interview."

Tori set her glass down next to Jade's and cupped her hand gently, "Tell you what: I have to call Mason Thornesmith and let him know I'm stopping by Neutronium Records tomorrow. I'll call him outside in the car so you'll have the place to yourself to talk to your mom, sound good?"

Jade replied with a grateful smile and a quick kiss on the cheek, "Thanks, Tori. Can you turn off the TV on your way out?"

Tori nodded and grabbed the remote from the coffee table. She pointed it at the TV, but the screen paused on Ada Wong's face caught her attention for a little too long.

"Hey!" Jade shouted to snap her out of her daze, to which she laughed again as she went to her room and grab her laptop.

Tori finally clicked the TV off, took her keys from her purse and muttered to herself, "Damn..." before heading outside.

Opening her laptop on her writing desk, Jade took a deep breath and pulled up her mother's username on her contacts list. Clicking the camera icon next to the name, a window opened over the center of the screen, quickly filling with a video stream of Jade's old home and her mother quickly looking at her camera to see the call connected.

Jade's mind fumbled for a moment before nervously waving, "Hey, Mom. Good...morning, I guess? It still early over there in LA?"

Ms. West simply smiled as she ran a brush over her dark hair, appearing wet, by the looks of the camera image. "No worries, dear. I just got out of the shower, so your timing was actually on-point! How are you? How's Miami?"

"Miami's great so far. I went shopping with Tori, got some new clothes, and she's gonna start working at that record company tomorrow," Jade answered as much as she could before bracing herself for the inevitable question to follow.

"I'm glad," Ms. West smiled sincerely, putting on her earrings while still looking at her daughter's image, "When Tori's mother told me they met you there, I was a little scared for you, but I'm glad they let you stay with them for a while. You must really care about this Tori to fly with her all the way to Miami for just a couple days."

"Y-Yeah, a couple days," Jade bit her lip a bit too hard, almost drawing blood when she replied, "About that, I—"

"So when are you coming back? You can just text me the return trip info and I'll be right there, or you can call a cab to take you home if I'm at work, or—"

"I'm not coming home, Mom!" Jade blurted out, quickly realizing that was the worst answer she could have said. "I mean, not yet. I'm staying with Tori...for...for I don't know how long." She could see on her mother's face that the damage was already done, no matter how she amended that first answer.

Ms. West collected herself, looking away from the camera for a moment to compose her thoughts, "W-What do you mean, Jade? I thought this was just a summer trip to celebrate your graduation."

"N-No, Mom. Mrs. Vega wanted me to tell you myself," Jade took a deep breath before continuing, "I'm moving in with Tori. We're living here together and I'm gonna work for a community theater here to help her out. I'm sorry I couldn't tell you sooner, but...we kind of decided this...really quickly."

Jade's mother couldn't hide her shock. "Did...did I do something wrong, Jade? I thought you and I were getting better after...after we talked. Do you not want to live with me anymore?"

"No! I-It's not like that!" Jade could tell her mom was on the verge of tears, as she was on her end. "I...I'm dating Tori, Mom. We confessed our feelings to each other before she left, but we wanted more time together, so I came here with her to...to explore our new relationship. I promise, it's not because of you! I'm not mad at you or anything!"

"You're...dating her? I know you broke up with Beck, but you're dating again already? And with a wom—" Ms. West cut her last word short, though Jade could already guess it. "Jade, I don't know what to say. I guess that explains why all your clothes are still here, at least. Good thing your father spoiled you with all that graduation money, huh?"

"Mom!" Jade hit her desk with her palm, clearly upset that her mother was starting to sound hostile, "Please don't make this difficult! This isn't some sleight against you! I'm calling now to tell you, at least! Can't we talk about this?!"

Ms. West waved her hand at the camera dismissively, "I have to go to work, Jade. We'll talk about this later."

Before Jade could say anything back, a sharp click on the other side ended the call and she was left staring at her desktop background. Slumping back in her chair, she felt tears welling up and didn't stop them from falling. She let out an ugly sob, covering her face in her hands.

The bedroom door swung open with Tori on the other side, shoving her phone in her pocket and rushing over to Jade's side. She pulled her girlfriend's sobbing frame close and leaned down, pressing a kiss on the top of her head. "It's okay..." Tori whispered, hugging Jade tighter as her sobs grew louder, "It's okay...I'm here, Jade...I'm here."

A few minutes later, the couple was sitting in the dining room, Tori pouring another glass of lemonade for Jade, who was still collecting herself.

"I should have talked to her with you," Tori admitted guiltily as she quietly placed the glass next to Jade, "Maybe together we could have—"

"It wouldn't have made a difference," Jade snapped back, eyes glued to the table to hide how red they were from all the tears, "I shouldn't be surprised she didn't take this as well as your parents did; especially since now she's all by herself in that home..."

"God," Tori took a seat next to Jade and leaned on her shoulder, "I'm so sorry, Jade, and you said you two were patching things up, too..."

"Well, it's what we get for making such a big decision at the last minute," Jade rubbed her eyes with the heel of her hand then looked over at Tori, "It's not your fault, Tori, I can deal with it. How was your call with Thornesmith?"

Tori wasn't sure anything could get them over Jade's call, but she could tell the subject had to change eventually, "It was fine. I have an appointment at the Neutronium Records office tomorrow morning at 9:30. We're just gonna get some paperwork signed and other junk before I meet with other producers. Maybe I can drop you off at the Weston Theater on the way? Are you sure you're still okay to do the interview with them?"

Jade shrugged and nodded to the idea, "Sure. I can compartmentalize pretty well. I was able to do it with my feelings for you for a year-ish, right?"

"Jade..." Tori sighed and gave her another hug on the side, to which Jade simply stood still and held Tori by her arm. "Well, let's not compartmentalize anymore. You're sure to talk to your mom again soon, so just tell me what you're worried about. Was she mad that you and I are dating? Is she...?"

"No," Jade shook her head at the implication, "She's not homophobic, but I guess I was with Beck for so long, and I never showed that kind of affection to another girl before, so she probably never thought I would. Still, she...didn't seem happy, but she just found out about it; of course she'd be a little upset." Jade distinctly remembered her mom nearly voicing concern that she was dating a woman, but didn't bring it up.

"What about your brother? I never met him, but you mentioned him in your Slap vlogs..."

"My half-brother. Same dad, different mom. We weren't very close anyway. He was always in boarding school and when my dad moved to Europe, he went with him."

"I can't believe I didn't stop to think..." Tori regretfully sighed again, "Ever since I got that record deal when senior year started, I was talking with my parents all year about me moving; but you moved here with only an hour to think about it. I mean, my parents still have each other and Trina at least, but your mom is living all alone now. Are you sure this is still a good idea?"

"Tori, it's a little late to be second-guessing this now," Jade frowned, "We bought furniture, we signed the lease together, I'm here now; and I want to be. We made a choice—not a perfect one—but we're dealing with it together, because we want to make this work, right?"

"Right...ride or die, was it?" Tori gave a little smile and hugged her again.

"Indeed," Jade chuckled and pulled Tori with her to the couch. "Now, how about we have some fun for once today?"

Once they were both seated on the couch, Jade caught Tori's lips in a hard kiss, lightly pushing her against the back cushions as she deepened it.

While initially excited by the kiss, Tori broke for air and looked at Jade curiously, "Are we testing that 'roommates first' promise again, Jade?"

"Oh no," Jade smirked, "I just want to play Resident Evil again, and this is just to make it up to you~"

With that answer, they resumed their kiss, with Tori's arms snaking around Jade's neck. "Mm...watching you play games you like and making out? Sounds like a win-win~"

"Oh, I'm not playing," Jade's smirk grew wide again as Tori felt the PlayStation controller drop on her lap, "You are~"

"W-What?! That's not fun!" Tori broke away and picked up the controller hesitantly.

"Well...fun for me," Jade replied as she flipped on the TV, "Watching you fumble around in a horror game and making out? Sounds like a win-win~"

The next day, Tori and Jade were early on the Miami roads, driving first to the Weston Theater which was situated a long ways off from the popular shopping center they had gone to the other day. As Tori parked in front of the theater, they looked around nervously as the surrounding restaurants and businesses looked almost barren, like this immediate block was a ghost town compared to the rest of Miami.

"You sure we got the right address, Jade?" Tori turned to her hesitant to drop her off, much less stay any longer.

"It's the one Sikowitz texted me," Jade double-checked her phone, "But I'm sure it was more...lively...when he was here." Even she had doubts about that theory.

"Well, just be careful, okay?" Tori gave her a reassuring pat on the shoulder, "And I'll come back to get you as soon as I'm done with the paperwork with Thornesmith."

Jade smiled, taking Tori's hand and replying sweetly, "Nothin' to worry about! Have a wonderful day at work, snookums~"

"I don't talk...you too, Jade," Tori let the automatic response go and simply kissed Jade goodbye as the latter stepped out of the car.

20 minutes later, Tori found the Neutronium Records office in the middle of one of downtown's busiest districts, a far cry from the "ghost block" she dropped Jade off at. After locking her car and securing her bag, she entered the building and quickly found the office of Mason Thornesmith. She was quickly greeted by a familiar British secretary she and her friends met back in LA, who politely asked her to sit and wait while Mason was finishing other business. Sitting down in the lobby, Tori took out her phone, fixated on the lockscreen background of her and Jade together in the apartment. The picture alone put her mind at ease as she quickly heard the booming voice of Mason Thornesmith in her direction.

"Well if it isn't Tori Vega herself! Welcome to Miami, darling!" Mason took her hand and shook it vigorously, "I trust you had a pleasant flight, and may I say congratulations on graduating Hollywood Arts!"

"Thanks, Mr. Thornesmith!" Tori smiled widely, enjoying the open reception, "I've really been enjoying Miami so far, but I'm really excited to finally get to work!"

"Great, great, but of course, we have the 'formalities' to get out of the way first! If you'll come this way to my office, we can get started on the contracts and paperwork." Mason led Tori down from the lobby to an office as large as the one in LA, but with an amazing view of downtown Miami. She tried to look in the direction of the Mason Theater's block, but she was quickly ushered to a seat across from a desk piled with documents dense with fine print. "Now, I believe you said you had a friend in the legal profession look some of the initial contracts over, isn't that right?"

"R-Right!" Tori took the closest document to her and skimmed it over, "Well, a brother of a friend, Spencer Shay in Seattle, said everything seemed in order; I mean, compared to...last time?"

"Right, right," Mason chuckled back as he sat down behind his large desk, "Not to worry, we won't be forcing you to wear those ridiculous costumes or making you act in any way you're uncomfortable with! That's all in the past! It's clear to us now that everyone loved the Tori Vega that opened for the Platinum Music Awards, and that's exactly the Tori Vega we want to continue working with us!"

Tori's face lit up, excited that this opportunity was already looking leagues better than before.

"Now, since your friend Spencer couldn't be reached to look over these with you today—something about his phone and computer suddenly catching fire during our calls—I'd like you to meet with our representative in Legal to deliberate over any fine points, okay?" Mason pressed a key on his office phone and spoke into it, "Nora, could you come in here for a moment? Tori Vega's here about the paperwork."

The office door promptly opened behind them, and in walked a woman about as tall as Tori with straight, dark hair, as dark as the suit she wore, and a smile that didn't quite meet her defined eyes and arching eyebrows. Tori couldn't see at first, but there was something familiar about this woman's appearance.

"Ms. Vega, I'd like to introduce you to the newest addition of our legal department, Ms. Nora West! In fact, she just flew here from LA yesterday!"

Tori stood up to shake the woman's hand, but as soon as she heard her last name, her hand almost retracted completely, "W-West? From LA?"

"Ah, yes! Tori Vega, the graduate from Hollywood Arts?" Nora reached over and shook Tori's retracted hand with almost as much enthusiasm as Mason, if not more. "Actually, my daughter graduated from Hollywood Arts, too! Maybe you know her? Jade West?"

Upon looking at Nora West straight on, Tori could already see the family resemblance, right down to the wicked grin she saw Jade wear all too often. As if she was petrified from her girlfriend's mother's gaze, Tori could only smile back and hope she would make it out of the office alive.

So this chapter introduces a new major character not actually cast in Victorious, Jade's mom. Her first name, Nora, is my own idea, and for visualization's sake, I 'cast' Courtney Ford from DC's Legends of Tomorrow as her face-claim.

Like always, thank you for reading and hope you continue to enjoy this developing tale!~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.4K 318 5
Tori is dating Jade but her parents don't know she is Gay. She decides to tell them but she doesn't know how they will react. Will her relationship s...
473K 10.2K 30
Jade blackmails Tori into fake dating her so that she can make Beck jealous after their break up. However, things don't go entirely to plan and Tori...
26.3K 475 15
Sikowitz plans a camping trip for the students of his class at Hollywood Arts. Jade and Tori's friends both notice the increasingly obvious tension b...
38.2K 702 16
Sequel to playing house. Jade and Tori finally have their family. Two daughters and Jess. Happily married, great jobs and a love to end all loves. I...