Eyes of the Blood Moon

By Gemmy4

Ella Marin grew up on the small island of Crocket. She recently moved back hoping to escape the troubles in h... More

New Priest in Town
The Son Returns
The Seventh Sunday
Plauge
The Creature of the Woods
Swimming in the Sky
Addiction
In the Eyes of a Miracle
Night of the Western Sun
Moon Drunk
Pains of the Past
Shitstorm
Love on Ice
Will the Circle be Unbroken
The Red Means I Love You
Darkness Hides Me
Remember We Are Dust
To Dust We Shall Return
Behind the Scenes
Free Fall
Delicate
Back on Track
Always for Her
Blood Moon Rising
Feeding Frenzy
Morning Glow

Crock Pot Luck

475 25 0
By Gemmy4

Erin walked with Riley and Ella, questioning them about what had happened.

They tried to explain quickly, knowing full well she wouldn't be the only person to ask tonight.

The evening was nice and warm, casting a golden glow on the island.

Ella had changed into a light, summer dress. Luckily it had sleeves so her bandage didn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Riley was snapping out of his groggy phase, gaining back his energy as they got closer to the mass of people and music.

He'd always complain about the events on Crocket, but Ella secretly thought he really enjoyed them.

Familiar faces came to greet them as they got closer and entered the town square, lined with banners and a big sign that the school had painted, reading "The Crock-Potlock!"

Ella personally enjoyed all the towns events. Her favourite, besides the swimming race in the summer, was Christmas, when everyone gathered around the church, religious or not, and would all sing Christmas carols together. Then they'd all go in and enjoy a feast, the entire town would even do secret Santa. It was always such a joyous time, filling everyone with a good warm feeling.

The potluck wasn't so bad. A way to kick off Easter.

Ella parted with her friends, going to find Dolly who had set up the stage for her. A band was already playing when she arrived, giving her a small wave and pointing towards Dolly, who was speaking to a few people.

"Oh they you are! My don't you look lovely?" She said with a nice smile.

"Thanks mrs Scarborough, you look great to! Is the potluck going well?" Ella asked.

"Well it is now. Wind kind of blew the place around a bit. Wade and I have been running all over the place trying to get it perfect," She explained with a sigh.

"We appreciate it. You guys are very dedicated to these thing," Ella told her.

"Thank you. More this year than ever. We're trying to welcome Father Paul in a good way, making him feel at home."

"I'm sure he's very impressed," Ella nodded.

"Indeed I am!" A friendly voice said from behind her.

Ella turned to see the Father, dressed in a black shirt and jeans and his clerical collar. His hair wasn't as neat anymore, it was fluffed up a framed his face gently. He had a big friendly smile, and was peering at her through his intelligence dark eyes.

"Oh good I'm glad. Have you had anything to eat?" Dolly asked.

"Oh no I-I've been just speaking to people. Trying to get to know the community, you know?" He replied.

Dolly smiled and nodded. "We'll come, come. Let's go get some food."

"Care to join us?" He asked Ella with a smile.

"I would love to, but I'll be on in a few minutes," she replied gesturing with her thumb at the stage.

"Oh right of course! The Monsignor told me all about your songs! I'll be sure to get a good look for myself," He laughed.

Ella let out a nervous laugh. Suddenly she did feel more anxious about playing in front of him.

"Thanks, well enjoy your food!" She replied, giving him a small wave before walking up to the stage.

"Hey Ella, mic's good to go, stereos all set up as well. Knock em dead," Micky, the man singing before told her.

"Thanks Mic," she said, walking up to the mic.

People began to sit on the benches laid out in front of her. Including a few familiar faces.

She saw Erin and Riley in the front row, grinning at her, Sarah and her girlfriend sitting beside them, Bev in the back looking as smug as ever, and Father Paul beside her. There was quite the crowd ready for her performance. She hadn't sung for these events in a long while, not since she'd moved away.

"Hey everyone, hope your enjoying the crock pot luck," she said into the mic, earning cheers from the crowd. "I'm just going to get started, I hope you enjoy!" She felt the butterflies build in her stomach. She actually loved the feeling. It motivated her.

The stereo kicked up, a base and an electric guitar began to play, as Ella counted herself in in her head.

2...3...4...

"I had to go through hell to prove I'm not insane
Had to meet the devil just to know his name
And that's when my love was burning
Yeah it's still burning
I keep going to the river to pray
'Cause I need something that can wash out the pain
And Lord knows
I'm sleeping all these demons away
But your ghost, the ghost of you
It keeps me awake
I keep going to the river to pray
'Cause I need something that can wash out the pain
And Lord knows
I'm sleeping all these demons away
But your ghost, the ghost of you
It keeps me awake"

(Song: Ghost by Ella Henderson)

Ella went on singing, song after song, each time met with a shocking round of applause. She was about to sing one of her favourite songs, when she heard a shout of surprise, followed by a sorrowful scream.

Her heart began to race, worried that creature from before had somehow followed them back.

The crowd got up and ran over to see an awful sight.

Joe was crouched, sobbing over the twitching body of his dog, Pike.

He had a pool of blood around his mouth, and had hurled up a foaming liquid, before going still.

Ella clasped her hands on her mouth in shock as the crowd was completely silent. All but Joe, and his sobs.

"O-oh Pike no..." he wailed, hugging the big dog.

Ella felt saddened. Pike was really Joes one true friend in this town.

The Sheriff walked up and put his hand on Joe's shoulder, comfortingly.

After a few moments, Joe turned to face the people gathered around, murmuring nervously, when his eyes locked on Ella's.

"You! You were in the CIA or some shit right?" He gasped desperately at her.

People turned to look at Ella.

"What's happened? To my baby boy..." he began to cry again.

Ella walked out of the crowd towards Joe and Pike, and crouched down in front of the big dog. He lay in his pool of blood and foam, lifeless.

She took a closer look. "Looks..." she paused as everyone waited on her nervously. "Looks like a sort of poison. I've seen this kind of thing before..."

Joe looked up at her. "Someone fuckin' poisoned my dog?!" He spat, whipping around to face the crowd.

"I-I can't say for sure Joe. But...it looks like he might have ingested some rat poison or something. It might not have been on purpose," she told him.

"Of course it was! You think anyone in the fucking town gives a shit about me or Pike?! No! Not a fucking DAMN!" He shouted at her.

"Woah Joe, easy," Hassan said.

"IF YOUVE GOT A PROBLEM WITH ME THATS FINE! BUT DONT TAKE IT OUT ON PIKE! My sweet...pike," Joe began to sob again.

Ella patted him on the back sadly. "I'm so sorry Joe..."

He didn't reply. He just kept sobbing into his dogs fur.

"Let's give them some space shall we?" She whispered to Hassan. He nodded in agreement, and faced the crowd.

"Alright everyone back up. Let's let them be," Hassan announced pushing the crowd away.

Ella gave Joe another reassuring pat before walking off towards Riley, Erin and Sarah.

"My god..." Sarah sighed as she approached.

"You think someone would do that? Poison that dog?" Erin asked Ella.

Ella shook her head. "I have no idea. He could've just gotten into something...but if it was, hypothetically, I think I could guess who..." She replied eying Bev, who looked keen on something, staring at Joe and Pike smugly.

"I couldn't imagine Bev doing that," Sarah responded, following her gaze.

"Not accusing her of anything. But she hated that dog," Ella pointed out.

Erin and Riley silently agreed. The three knew what Bev was capable of...back in high school.

She knew Erin and Riley were thinking the same thing. Sarah have them a glance of confusion but didn't press on.

They all parted ways heading back home.

As Ella approached her little cabin, she heard someone call her name.

She turned to find Father Paul walking up to her, the same friendly grin on his face.

"Hey Father. I forgot to thank you for caring for me the other night," Ella greeted him.

"Oh it was no trouble really. I actually...I wanted to ask about that..." he paused looking her bandaged arm.

"Oh this!" She replied shocked he'd noticed it.

"What happened?" He asked, a concerned look on his face. It was mixture of being worried about her safety, and worried about something else, Ella could tell.

"Long story," Ella sighed. "There's...something living in the woods in the uppards."

Ella watched his eyes widen. "Did you...see it?" He asked suddenly much more worried.

"Not exactly. Came at Riley and I so quickly, we narrowly avoided it, besides this," she said gesturing back at her arm.

"Oh I...I'm so sorry.." he replied nervously.

Ella smiled at him, "it's not your fault. We were digging our own grave, going out there searching for the predator that killed those cats."

"You shouldn't have gotten hurt," he responded sadly, his eyes downcast.

"I'll be okay," she reassured him.

He nodded. "Yes. Yes you will be, don't worry. I can promise you, this is happening for a reason. It's all apart of God's plan."

Ella looked at him curiously. "What do you mean?" She asked.

He hesitated for a minute. "I mean, all will be well soon. I should be getting home, you as well. Rest up," Father Paul smiled at her, acting as if he was alright but Ella could tell he was still upset.

"I...I will. Have a good night Father," she replied.

He nodded before hurrying off. Ella heard him begin to cough violently, but he ran off before she could ask.

She watched him go, suspicious about their interaction. He had been very obviously worried about something. Ella tried not to dwell on it for any longer. She hoped he was just worried she had gotten hurt, but that little voice in the back of her head, was telling her something wasn't right.

She walked home, showered, got her pyjamas, and laid down in bed with Pebbles curled up next to him. She replayed everything that had happened that day in her head until she drifted off into an un-disturbable sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 22 12
I started to step back slowly. " please I am sorry , I didn't mean to invade in your privacy " I scared of his reaction the way he staring in to my s...
20.1K 591 31
*******COMPLETE******* "Wow, you really are a little monster, aren't you?" His deep voice tilted the words into a thick Southern accent. A famili...
802K 17K 46
pl- please leave me!...i didn't killed my mother.she said while her father is beating her. SHUT UP! You whore. you were the reason that my beautiful...
1.6M 44.7K 35
Elena Morelli loves two things. Her family and baking. She's learned to bake with her nonna and her father since before she could reach the counterto...