Silver Lining

By tinaa_hu_writer

#1 in Wattpad Romance! "Don't fight me, please...!" he pleaded with his whisper by my ears. His obsession was... More

Silver-Lining E-Book
Chapter 1 - Flashback
Chapter 2 - Bonded to Hell
Chapter 3 - Best Friend Forever
Chapter 4 - "Dumpling"
Chapter 5 - Two-timed
Chapter 6 - Hell Hole
Chapter 7 - The Night Before Vegas
Chapter 8 - Luciano Carlos
Chapter 9 - Mystery Shopper
Chapter 10 - What happens in Vegas (1)
Chapter 11 - What happens in Vegas (2) Begin Again
Chapter 12 - What happens in Vegas (3) Lamborghini Centenario
Chapter 13 - What happens in Vegas (4) They Long To Be (Close to You)
Chapter 14 - What happens in Vegas (5) - Treasure
Chapter 15 - What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas
Chapter 16 - Whirlpool of Darkness
Chapter 17 - Rico Barnes
Chapter 18 - 7 years ago (1)
Chapter 19 - 7 years ago (2)
Chapter 20 - 7 years ago (3)
Chapter 21 - 7 years ago (4)
Chapter 22 - 7 years ago (5)
Chapter 23 - 7 years ago (6)
Chapter 24 - 7 years ago (7) Heart Broken
Chapter 25 - The Truth Unfolds
Chapter 26 - Chad Hunter
Chapter 27 - Hunter's Prey
Chapter 28 - He's back
Chapter 29 - Sold to Carlos
Chapter 30 - His Empire
Chapter 31 - Being His Captive
Chapter 32 - Forbes Billionaire Bachelor
Chapter 33 - Against my will
Chapter 34 - Learn to be Mine
Chapter 35 - Chadorris
Chapter 36 - The Dark Truth Unveils
Chapter 37 - Sweet Revenge
Chapter 38 - Amelia
Chapter 39 - Team Luciano vs Team Rico
Chapter 40 - Sweetness Overload
Chapter 41 - Wedding Wrecker
Chapter 43 - Deflower
Chapter 44 - A Twist of Fate
Chapter 45 - Scruffy's Mischief
Chapter 46 - Road to Misery
Chapter 47 - Redeemed
Chapter 48 - The Big Day
Chapter 49 - The Envision
Chapter 50 - Birth of New Life
Chapter 51 - The Test of Marriage
Chapter 52 - The Finale

Chapter 42 - Survival of the Fittest

189 7 0
By tinaa_hu_writer

*The next day*

Clara's POV

The next day, Luciano drove me to the airport to see me off for my flight to Tennessee before he heads back to work.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come along?" Luciano asked me once again.

"Don't worry, I'll be fine," I smiled to him to give him the assurance he needed.

"Alright, take care and call me once you're there," Luciano said and then he leant in for a kiss on my forehead before we bid farewell to each other.

*Tennessee*

"Oh... I miss you so much, baby!" My mother squealed and hugged me upon seeing me at her doorstep.

"I miss you so much too," I hugged her tightly as I said.

"Why didn't you give me a call that you're coming?" My mother asked.

"Just wanted to give you surprise," I leant in for a peck on her cheek.

"How's you and David?" I asked my mother about my stepfather while we made our way into the living hall.

"We're fine, David just went on a fishing trip with his friends, he won't be back until two days later," My mother said.

The truth is I haven't been really close with my stepfather. My father died when I was little, he was an awesome dad, no man loves me as much as he did until I met Luciano. Ever since my mother married my stepfather, we moved to Tennessee. However, I was enrolled at Stanford at that time too, so I really didn't get to interact much with my stepfather. He didn't really care about me, nor did he want to finance my tuition fees for the course I wanted to pursue and that's how I landed up in Marketing against my wish.

"Alright, I'm glad that you two are doing good," I said but I was more relieved to know that David isn't going to be around here.

"Mum, I need to tell you something, but promise me you won't freak out," I said.

"Yes, sure, what is it?" She asked.

I flashed her the engagement ring in my hand and said, "I'm getting married."

"Oh my god! I'm so happy for you baby!" She gasped in surprise, I could see the tears of joy welling up in her eyes.

I hugged her and patted her back, "Yup, now you don't have to worry about me anymore."

"Who is that lucky guy that you're getting married to? Is it Rico, that sweetheart of yours back in High School?" My mother asked.

I brooded at her response, "What would you guess Rico?"

"So that man isn't Rico?" My mum asked with a perplexed expression.

"No, I'm getting married to Luciano Carlos, the owner of Carlos Hotel," I explained.

"Woah... Isn't he a billionaire?" My mum gasped in surprise.

"Yes..." I said.

"Baby, why do I feel that you're not really excited about this marriage, are you okay?" My mum asked.

"Maybe it's just the pre-wedding jitters," I shrugged my shoulders.

"Well, as long as you're going with your heart and marrying the man you truly love, you should be happy," She said while grasping my hands.

I smiled back at her and then she said, "Anyways, I thought he was Rico because not long ago he came by for a visit to find you and I told him you're working at L.A. After so many years, can't believe he is still not over with you. He also helped to fix a lot of things in our house, he was such a sweetheart."

The thought of Rico makes me feel guilty. Guilty that I could not reciprocate his feelings. I agree with my mother, after so many years, I can't believe he wasn't over with me.

"Yes, he is a sweetheart..." I sighed heavily.

"I don't know what's bothering you, but I'm going to cook your favourites for dinner tonight, hopefully, that will make you feel better," My mother said with a comforting smile.

"Thank you, mum, but let me help you with dinner too," I said.

Before I could even stand up for the kitchen, the bell to our door rang.

My heart dropped in disappointment as I figured maybe David was back early from his fishing trip. I went to the door and opened it, to my astonishment, the man that stood in front of me wasn't David but Rico!

"Hi Clara," Rico greeted me with his beguiling smile.

"Rico? Why are you here?" I asked with a perplexed look.

"Baby, who's at the door?" My mother asked as she made her way out from the kitchen.

"Mum, it's Rico!" I yelled across the living hall.

"Oh Rico, please come in!" My mother said excitedly at the glimpse of Rico.

"Thank you, Aunt Mary. Saw this lovely flowers while on my way here, thought you would love them," Rico said as he passed a bouquet of fresh flowers to my mum.

"They're indeed lovely, you're such a sweetheart, thank you," My mother was obviously bought over by how sweet Rico was.

"Clara, why don't you be a good host to Rico while I get dinner done," My mum instructed me before she heads back to the kitchen.

Gosh... I don't know what to say to Rico... I still feel guilty towards him.

"Can we have a talk outside?" Rico asked as he tucked his hands into his jeans. I could sense that he felt the awkwardness that was going on too.

"Sure..." I replied and we made our way to the backyard.

"So... What brings you here?" I asked once again.

Rico looked straight into my eyes and I could see how serious he was getting with his jaws clenched before he said, "Clara, you know I'm here for you."

Overwhelmed by what was going on, I asked him, "What? How did you even know that I was here?"

"Dorris told me. Clara, this is our only chance to get away from Luciano. I'll make sure that you'll be safe and sound away from him," Rico explained as he grabbed my arms.

"No, Rico, I told you, it's different now. I love him and I'm getting married to him," I shrugged off his grip and showed him the engagement ring on my hand.

Rico's POV

No wonder Dorris sounded reluctant to tell me about Clara's whereabout. My heart burns at the sight of the ring on her hand. How dare he take her away from me.

"No, Clara, you're not getting married to him! I won't let you!" I said in an agitated tone.

"Rico... Why can't you understand?" Clara said as she shook her head annoyingly.

"Is there a problem?" Aunt Mary's sudden appearance jolted us up.

"No, nothing... Mum, let me help you with dinner," Clara took the opportunity to excuse herself from me.

Darn... I won't let history repeats itself again. I won't give up on Clara without a fight anymore.

Clara's POV

We started laying out the table to get ready for dinner and my head started throbbing. I was vexed over how I was going to face Rico for the rest of the night. His presence was just pressurising.

Then the bell to our door rang again, I couldn't be bothered if it was David anymore. Nothing at this point of time would be more vexing than having to deal with Rico.

I went to the door and opened it, a man in a casual V-neck shirt and a pair of jeans stood in front of me. It took me a second to register who he was and my mind nearly exploded when I realised it was Luciano standing at my doorstep. He looked very different from his usual formal look, instead of having his hair neatly combed back, he had a scruffy hair look that still made him look so casually hot but in an unfamiliar way.

Why is he here too?!

Gosh... I thought this trip back home was going to be a moment of break for me away from all these pressure, apparently, it turned out the other way. Luciano is going to kill Rico if he sees him here, and how am I supposed to explain it to Luciano?!

I froze at the sight of Luciano and then he snickered, "Are you not going to invite me in?"

"No, wait, why are you here?!" I whispered.

"I realised I couldn't live a moment without you, so here I am," Luciano smiled at me.

Luciano was about to kiss me when I felt a pull away from him from my back, "Oh, Mr. Carlos, didn't expect that you'll be here," Rico said.

Luciano's eyes immediately blazed in anger. He grabbed Rico by his collar and gritted, "Why are you here?!"

Rico glared back at him fiercely, none of them was backing down.

"Excuse me, who are you?!" My mother snapped fiercely at Luciano and that made Luciano instantly loosened his grip.

Rico smirked at Luciano before he turned to my mother and explained, "Don't worry, Aunt Mary, we were just fooling around."

"Fooling around? Young man, you better not be doing that at my house," My mother warned Luciano.

"Mum, it's just a misunderstanding. This is Luciano, my fiancé. Luciano, this is my mum, Mary," I said with a smile to break that awkward tension that was going on.

I thought nothing could bring the almighty Luciano down. I was surprised that Luciano was instantly tamed by my mother, he had this look of a kid who was caught red-handed for stealing at a candy store.

Then he walked up to my mother and passed a bouquet of flowers to her, "I apologise for what happened, please accept my apology."

"I already have one from Rico earlier on, but still... Thanks," My mother said in an unconvinced tone.

The moment my mother turned around to get one more serving prepared for Luciano, Luciano glared at Rico. He was obviously mad at Rico for screwing up my mother's first impression of him.

Mary's POV

I sensed that my daughter didn't seem happy about her upcoming marriage. She seemed bogged down instead, especially after I mentioned about Rico.

I overheard the conversation between Rico and Clara and figured that maybe Clara was stressed up because she has been sandwiched by two men.

Luciano seems like a tough cookie too. I worry for my daughter's future. I guess perhaps I could teach them a lesson and help Clara figure out who is the better man for her.

I headed back to the kitchen and took out whatever hot sauces I have to coat it all over the piping hot buffalo wings. Now this will put them to the test.

Luciano's POV

I figured I have to do whatever I could to change Mary's impression of me for a better.

"Wow... That sure smells delicious," I complimented Mary's cooking.

"You sure got a sweet tongue, I hope my daughter didn't fall for you just because of that," Mary replied me sarcastically.

"Of course not, our love is definitely more than this," I grabbed Clara's hand and smiled at her. I smirked at Rico who had his eyes burning with a zeal of jealousy.

"Please help yourself to my signature's buffalo wings. Clara, you better not be eating that, it's not going to be good for a sore throat," Mary said.

I decided to impress Mary by showing how much I appreciated her cooking, so without hesitation, I started to tuck in at the buffalo wings. Rico also tucked in at the same time and this annoyed me. Just when will he learn to give up...?

I took a big bite off the buffalo wing and I was instantly hit by the spiciness of the wing. God damn it... What did she put in these wings?!

"How's the wings?" Mary asked me and Rico.

"It's very delicious," I smiled at Mary but my lips were burning. Now I know how Chad must have felt when he drank the hot sauce.

"Yes, it's so succulent. Aunt Mary, I've to say your cooking is awesome," Rico bootlicked Mary.

Darn it... He was going hard at Mary too. I wasn't going to lose to this little brat here.

I took another buffalo wing and started chunking it down my throat one after another. Rico was going tough on me too as he continued to feast on the wings.

The pain from the hotness was agonising, we were both breaking out in a cold sweat, our lips obviously scorched but none of us was backing out.

It didn't take long for Clara to figure out that something was wrong with the wings, "Hey, let's go easy on the wings. Why don't you guys try out the other dishes instead?"

"I just love these wings," I said as I sucked the sauce off my finger and I glared at Rico.

"It's funny how you say it, but your expression tells it otherwise," Rico smirked.

Darn little rascal, how dare he sabotage my impression again and again in front of Mary. I'll make him pay for this...

"It's funny how you can get sauces up here," I pointed to my left eye to trick him into touching his face with the scorching hot sauce on his hands. I was right, little rascal was indeed no match for me, he tried to rub off the non-existent sauce up at the area near his left eye and that instantly jolted him up in agony, "Ouch...! It burns!!"

I couldn't help but laugh at his reaction. However, my victory was short-lived. Clara banged the table, "That's enough, Luciano! How could you be so childish?!"

Then she bolted over to Rico and helped him to the kitchen to wash up.

That concerned look on her face for Rico made me felt sour and mad. I wanted to go up to Rico and dip him into a pool of water to wake up his mind, to drive it across to him that Clara is mine!

However, my drive of raging madness was halted when I realised Mary was looking at me. I had to maintain my composure, I can't afford to lose my image in front of Mary anymore. I don't want her to be going against my marriage with Clara.

"You're a tough one indeed, but I hope you won't go tough on Clara too," Mary said.

"Of course, I won't, I love her more than anything else," I said.

"Well, go get yourself cleaned up too. There's milk in the fridge if you need," Mary said.

That reminded me of how hot my fingers and my lips were. I quickly made my way to the kitchen to wash up too, but Clara and Rico were no longer there.

Where would they be?

I looked out of the windows from the kitchen counter and I saw both of them in the backyard. I ain't going to give that lad a chance near to Clara. I was about to charge my way to the backyard after I washed up, but I was stopped by Mary. She shook her head and said, "Please give Clara a break, let them talk it out."

I heaved heavily in retreat and stood behind the walls. My fists were clenched tightly while bearing the discomfort of having them together.

Clara's POV

"Are you feeling better?" I asked Rico worriedly as I pressed the ice bag against him while we sat on the bench.

"Much better... Thank you," He pulled the ice bag down and said.

"I'm sorry..." I said feeling apologetic for what Luciano and my mother had done.

He grabbed my hand and said, "You're still the sweetest girl."

I took back my hand quickly but he grabbed me by my arms, "Clara, please... Give me a chance," he pleaded.

"Rico, it's not possible anymore..." I heaved heavily.

His brows drew together in an agonised expression as his voice trembled, "Clara, 7 years ago, I met a wonderful girl by the stairs drinking a juice box, I had never seen anything so perfect. There was never a moment I took my eyes off you whenever you were there with the bleachers for every football match that I was in. 20th April 2009, the day that I asked you out as my prom date, I was nerve-wracked, I remember thinking that I had to have you or I would die... then you replied me with the sweetest smile that you agreed to be my date and I felt so peaceful...and safe... because, from that day on, I knew that no matter what happened, nothing could ever be that bad... because I had you. And then I... got blinded by the jealousy that Veronica and Jake had tricked us into. I lost my way... I made a stupid mistake of letting you up 7 years ago, a mistake that still burns in my heart. I tried to find you all these years, I never gave up, and I thank god for bringing us together again,"

I could see the tears in his eyes glistened and how his face turned red that I couldn't help feeling a tug in my heart. He swallowed a lump down his throat and thumped his hand over his heart, "God, Clara, after so many years, you're still up here, all over here... I love you, and all I'm asking you is to look back and give us a chance, a chance to undo what we've missed."

I would be lying if I said I wasn't moved at all by his confession. What he said stirred up the memories and emotions of the past in me. How we met, how I got enchanted by him, how good he was to me, how much I loved him...and how wrenched my heart felt when it all came apart on prom night.

I looked back at him in his eyes, my voice trembled from the overwhelming emotions that he stirred within me, "Rico... I never forgot, I never forgot how we first met, how good you were to me. My high school life has been better because of you and I thank you for that. You're... such a charmer and you took my heart away when it all came apart on prom night but I want you to know that I never blamed you for what happened 7 years ago. After so many years, to learn that you still had me in your heart, I'm truly honoured and flattered..."

"Tell me... Do you love me?" Rico pleaded.

"Yes, I love you...wholeheartedly..." I said firmly.

He broke into a wide smile immediately. I wasn't lying, I love Rico, but...

"But...this is coming from 7 years ago. The Clara that you're holding onto now is only deeply in love with Luciano, I'm sorry..." I said. That broke his smile down instantaneously.

I felt guilty for hurting Rico once again, especially after knowing how heavily invested he was in me, but I had to be honest with him.

When Rico pressed me for an answer, I recalled what my mother said - to follow my heart. That moment made me realised how much I am in love with Luciano, that nothing could unroot my feelings for him. I didn't mind anymore if Luciano is marrying me out of love or money because the heart wants what it wants.

"I will wait for you, no matter how long it takes," He said.

"Please, don't do this, don't sacrifice your lifetime happiness for me," I pleaded.

"No, I'm not. Clara...I don't mean for my feelings to be a baggage to you, but you won't understand, it's only way that I can live on, to love you even if it's impossible between us," he explained in an agonised expression.

I couldn't take it anymore, the guilt was just over-riding me, I had to run away from him to avoid a melt-down.

Luciano's POV

I've underestimated and belittled his love for Clara. I never knew that their feelings for each other ran so deep from several years ago. My existence had denied his redemption with Clara but this was the best that I could give them, a chance to talk it out. It would kill me to lose Clara too.

My heart dropped and my jaws clenched uncontrollably when I heard Clara telling him that she love him. I wanted to barge in between them and take Clara away from him. Even if it had to be done by force.

That rage was diminished in an instance upon hearing Clara's confession that she only love me. My heart was relieved from the wrench and I slapped myself in the head for even having second thoughts about Clara's love for me.

Clara's POV

I gasped in shock when I bumped into Luciano as I turned round the corner.

"Those wings were worth it after all," Luciano said.

"I'm not done with you, Luciano. Why did you even do that to Rico?! You could have blinded him!" I said.

He sighed and took my hands, "I'm sorry for that... I just couldn't stand him trying to snatch you away from me."

"How could he snatch me away from you when you know... my heart is only with you," I said.

Luciano pulled me into his embrace and I hugged him tightly too. I didn't care anymore about what Gisele had said, I just wanted Luciano so badly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6M 170K 46
Highest- #2 in Romance "Aren't you a feisty little thing?" He chuckled. I stopped breathing at the close proximity, my knees turning to jelly. I lean...
1.5M 46.5K 46
"Jellyface" A deep voice stopped me. A deep sexy voice if I may add. My body straighten up. My mind went blank. I wait for what happen next. "You can...
226K 12.6K 42
~The story revolves around a tale as old as time. The beauty and the beast, pain and passion~ ~Raizel Deluca~ ~Coral Thompson~ Two very different an...
61.4M 2.7M 83
Lisa and her boss, Alessandro, agree to spite their exes by pretending to date, but things begin to backfire when fake feelings become real along the...