Eyes of the Blood Moon

By Gemmy4

Ella Marin grew up on the small island of Crocket. She recently moved back hoping to escape the troubles in h... More

New Priest in Town
The Son Returns
The Seventh Sunday
The Creature of the Woods
Crock Pot Luck
Swimming in the Sky
Addiction
In the Eyes of a Miracle
Night of the Western Sun
Moon Drunk
Pains of the Past
Shitstorm
Love on Ice
Will the Circle be Unbroken
The Red Means I Love You
Darkness Hides Me
Remember We Are Dust
To Dust We Shall Return
Behind the Scenes
Free Fall
Delicate
Back on Track
Always for Her
Blood Moon Rising
Feeding Frenzy
Morning Glow

Plauge

570 32 0
By Gemmy4

Father Paul watched as Bev walked away after their discussion.

Once she had gone, he sighed as he sat in the church, sinking down in the pew, and rubbing his face.

His head ached. He hated lying to these people but he knew it was for the best.

He stood and walked out the back of the church towards the rectory, where he would need to board up before the storm.

He knew of the storms that plagued Crocket, they never seemed as bad as they really can be.

He wondered how it was doing in the uppards, and what it might do during the storm. He silently prayed it hadn't attacked anyone yet. The last thing he needed was an outburst of panic before he had the chance to explain.

*****

The day began to dim as Ella walked back home alone. She had a nice lunch on the mainland with Erin and Riley, until Erin had to go for her appointment. Riley and Ella had a nice conversation until they realized they'd miss their boat. They mostly spoke about what Ella had been up to, Riley didn't feel like talking.

Ella thought about what Warren had said. He had been right, Riley was acting pretty distant. She couldn't blame him however. Not after what he'd gone though.

She sighed. Riley had...killed someone, in a drunk driving accident. Her best friend. Someone she knew for her whole life. He might not have been acting like himself, but Ella could see it, in his eyes, today, the way he looked at her, he was the same Riley his always was. He had the same boyish grin, and smart ass humor. He could never change, not deep down.

The storm began to kick up, as the last bit of sunlight faded.

The wind was blowing hard, knocking her around. It roared in her ears, her hair whipping her in the face. When she heard a sound that wasn't the wind. It sounded like a large bird flying overhead. She tried to look up but her hair was covering her face, then that's when the rain plummeted. Out of nowhere, buckets or rain began to dump all over the island.

Ella sprinted down the road, barley able to see a foot ahead of her. Lightning struck somewhere close, filling her ears with a loud boom. The wind knocked her off her feet, as lightning flashed around and thunder filled her head.

Fear settled deep in her mind. She couldn't bring herself to stand, the wind was keeping her to her knees.

Please... she begged herself to stand. She had to keep her eyes closed to keep the rain out.

Suddenly a large flash so blinding struck, it knocked her fully to the ground. It had struck somewhere near her. She couldn't tell if she was screaming or not, she couldn't her herself over the storm.

But the last thing she knew was her head hit the ground and all went black.

*****

Ella woke to a warm feeling on her face. Sunlight.

She couldn't open her eyes, suddenly feeling the pounding of her head. Her heart beat in her ears as the pain filled her mind.

She sat up, where ever she was, and winced in through her teeth.

"Woah, easy," a familiar voice said.

She pulled her eyelids open to see Father Paul staring back at her, a worried expression on his face.

"You had quite the fall," he told her, lightly pushing her back down on the bed.

"What?" She asked, looking around at her surroundings.

She was in a bed, in a small room, only a dresser and mirror in front of her. Sunlight poured in through the window, which had a good view of St. Patrick's. She was in the rectory.

She pulled herself back up again, earning a disapproving look from the Father.

"You really should rest. I've called Doctor Gunning, she's on her way to look at you," he said quite anxiously.

"Wait...what happened?" Ella asked. Her mind pounded harder as she tried to recall yesterday's events.

"I-I found you, knocked out in front of the church," Paul explained. "You'd hit your head, so I brought you back here."

"Wait, this morning?" Ella asked.

He shook his head. "No, last night during the storm."

She raised her brow. "You were out in that?"

"Uh yes. But when I saw you I rushed you here. There was no chance I could bring you anywhere else, the storm was much too violent."

Ella looked down at her hands, covered in mud. "Thank you," she said looking back at him.

"Please, there's no need," he said smiling. "I'm just glad you're okay."

Ella looked back at him smiling as well, for a few moments they just sat there, until there was a knock at the door.

"That would be Doctor Gunning," Paul said, standing and walking towards the door.

A moment later he returned with Sarah.

"Hey Ella, how are you feeling," she asked, setting down her bag on the bed and coming over to check out her head.

"I'm fine there's no need to fuss over me," Ella replied sighing.

Father Paul leaned against the door frame, "nonsense, we want to make sure your okay."

"Exactly," Sarah nodded. "Sit up a bit, let me get a good look."

Ella did as told as Sarah looked at the side of her head.

"Doesn't seem like anything too serious, though it is a bit bloody, you should wash up, make sure it isn't infected and come see me at my office a bit later. I want to check that everything is okay. Before that though, let me just test some things, make sure there was no serious damage to your brain," Sarah told her, pulling out a small flash light.

"Really Sarah I'm okay. Just a hit of a headache,"
Ella assured her.

"I'm just doing my job as a doctor and your friend," Sarah smiled at her.

"Well thank you," Ella replied with a smile. "But the only thing I hurt is my white sweater," she laughed revealing the mud stained sweater.

Sarah and Paul chuckled when suddenly a frantic bang was heard from the front door.

"Father! Father! Open the door!" A frantic voice was calling.

They all stood and walked to the door to find Bev looking at them like she'd seen a ghost. "Oh my goodness, it's awful," she cried. "About a hundred cats washed up on the beach."

Ella watched as Father's face went white.

She gave a strange look to Sarah who was looking a bit worried as well.

"What are you two doing here?" She snapped at Ella and Sarah.

"Mrs Marin hit her head during the storm last night, and Sarah was checking on her," Paul explained.

"Oh," Bev said quietly. "Well no matter, the Sheriff is looking at the damage, but I'm not so sure what he thinks."

"I want to take a look," Ella announced.

"I'm not so sure that's a good idea, what if it's a disease of some sort?" Sarah replied.

"You should rest first," Paul added.

Ella shook her head. "I'm fine. But I used to work as a forensic scientist in the nypd, I might be able to help the Sheriff."

No one really protested, so Ella pushed past Bev and began to walk towards the beach. Her head was still pounding and she was well aware she looked awful, covered in mud, but the curiosity was driving her. That little voice in the back of her mind whenever she used to work murder cases was calling out for answers.

"Wait, Ella, I'll come with you," Sarah said joining her.

"You should come to Father. Perhaps say a prayer, in case it is disease," Bev said.

He nodded and followed them out.

The four walked down to the beach in silence when the smell became very apparent.

Sarah coughed, the smell being overwhelming.

"That's definitely the smell of decay," Ella sighed, walking on.

They walked up to find a crowd of people in their sleep wear on the beach.

That's when they noticed all the bumps. Bodies. There had to be hundreds of them, lining the shore.

Hassan was standing, arms on his hips assessing the mess.

"Father," Annie greeted.

She saw the state of Ella and gasped. "Oh dear what's happened to you!" She walked over to Ella and put her hands on her arms.

"I'm okay, Mrs Flynn. Just got caught out in that storm last night," Ella explained.

"Oh that storm. Horrid wasn't it? Riley was out there last night to, he also found all the cats this morning and we called the Sheriff," Annie sighed.

"Any idea what's happened?" Sarah asked.

Annie shook her head, "Riley said he didn't see them last night,"

"What was Riley doing out there last night?" Father Paul asked, sounding worried.

Annie tilted her head, pondering. "You should ask him."

"I'm going to speak with the Sheriff, see if I can't give some suggestions on what could've happened," Ella told them walking off towards Hassan.

"Be careful dear! It could be some sort of disease!" Annie called after her.

"Sheriff," Ella said approaching him.

He turned to look at her, troubled by the sight. "You look like a mess. Are you alright?"

Ella sighed. "Just fine. I wanted to see what might be going on."

"I'd keep your distance. I'm not to sure," He explained.

"I might be able to offer up some help. You know, from the nypd?"

He nodded and took her over to a few of the cats.

As they got closer she could see them clearly. They had tears in their necks, but no blood.

"You've got a cat right? Might wanna keep him away for a bit," Hassan spoke up.

"He doesn't go outside anyways. Although..." Ella paused remembering what had happened to him the day before.

"Something really spooked him yesterday morning," she said squinting at the Sheriff, "I found him, hiding in my closet. Tore my living room up. I'd never seen him like that."

"You're living room was torn up?" He asked.

"Yeah, covered in claw marks. There was no sign anything else had been in there though, no break in."

"Hmm," Hassan thought aloud. "Tell me if it happens again. Don't know what would spook him but it could be connected to why these cats are all..." he trailed off.

Ella nodded. "I'm not so sure it's disease. No signs of any sickness, or fur missing or anything. Just the necks...torn open like that."

The Sheriff nodded in agreement. "Could be a predator, in the uppards. It must've flood during that storm."

"Perhaps...but there's no blood? Not even dried blood," she noted.

"Maybe it washed away?"

Ella picked up one of the cats. She felt herself feel like dry heaving. She'd dealt with human bodies, but cats, those were different. And the smell was putrid.

She examined it closely, checking the neck, but there was nothing. It was drained of any blood.

"Maybe there's something in the uppards. Something feeding off of these cats. There's not a drop of blood in these things," She sighed putting it back on the ground.

"Yeah I'd noticed that before. They're all like that. I'll go up there later with a few people, check it out. For now...I think we should burn them. In case it is disease," Hassan told her.

She nodded. "Best to be safe. I'm not sure though, what animal would eat from the neck like that, and then not take any flesh?"

"Me neither. Would you like to join me? To come check it out later?" He asked.

"The Crock pot luck is today," Ella replied. "We'd have to go before then, I've been asked to preform."

Hassan nodded and walked off to speak with a shocked looking Mayor Wade.

Ella looked back at the cat bodies before deciding it best time to wash up. She also couldn't stand the smell for much longer.

She walked off back towards her house when Erin caught up with her.

"Crazy isn't it?" She said walking with her. "Wait what the hell happened to you?"

" I am so tired of people asking that today," Ella groaned.

Erin shrugged. "Alright. Still all those cats washing up? Did you notice anything?"

Ella shook her head. "Nothing that'll tell me what's been done to 'em. The Sheriff and I are going to check out the uppards later, see if there's any sign of a predator."

"A predator just showing up now though? How would it have gotten here and no one noticed?" Erin asked.

"No idea, I'm just as confused." Which was a feeling Ella hated. Confusion. She always wanted to know what was going on, solve the mystery. The relief it gave her was so rewarding.

She parted ways with Erin before walking into her house, half expecting to find it torn up again, but nothing. Pebbles seemed okay, lounging in the sun. He gave her a small meow that seemed to say where have you been all night? You left me to starve.

Ella fed him before going to her bathroom and taking a nice warm shower, washing away all the blood, dirt and grim of the day. It felt good, having some time to herself to think. She thought of Father Paul, and she found a strange thought form. What was he doing out in the storm?

She got out of the shower, dried off and dressed up in jeans, a stripped shirt, and a leather jacket.

She looked at her head in the mirror, the dried blood had gone, revealing a gash in her head. She touched it lightly and it began to sting.

She winced through her teeth again, feeling the sting ripple through her body.

She heard a ring from her phone and groaned, walking over and flipping it open. It was text from Hassan, asking if she was ready to head to the uppards.

Ella grabbed up her coat and walked towards her door, determined to get answers of whatever this new predator might be.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.3K 1.4K 22
Aria Phoenix, a girl who is not afraid to kill and or to be killed; a girl who don't trust people easily; a girl from the most respected family betwe...
1.6M 44.7K 35
Elena Morelli loves two things. Her family and baking. She's learned to bake with her nonna and her father since before she could reach the counterto...
1.3K 22 12
I started to step back slowly. " please I am sorry , I didn't mean to invade in your privacy " I scared of his reaction the way he staring in to my s...
2K 92 29
Read all of the description please. Mainly the warning at the bottom <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> I walked to the studio Ella Layloni was at an...