Eyes of the Blood Moon

By Gemmy4

Ella Marin grew up on the small island of Crocket. She recently moved back hoping to escape the troubles in h... More

New Priest in Town
The Son Returns
Plauge
The Creature of the Woods
Crock Pot Luck
Swimming in the Sky
Addiction
In the Eyes of a Miracle
Night of the Western Sun
Moon Drunk
Pains of the Past
Shitstorm
Love on Ice
Will the Circle be Unbroken
The Red Means I Love You
Darkness Hides Me
Remember We Are Dust
To Dust We Shall Return
Behind the Scenes
Free Fall
Delicate
Back on Track
Always for Her
Blood Moon Rising
Feeding Frenzy
Morning Glow

The Seventh Sunday

598 34 0
By Gemmy4

"Ella!" Erin called knocking on the wooden door.

Ella threw on her coat opening the door. She'd spent the rest of the morning cleaning up the mess.

"Hey, should we get going?" Erin asked.

Ella looked back at Pebbles, who seemed to have recovered, playing with his small toy on the ground. She didn't know if she should leave him again.

"Woah what the hell happened in here?" Erin asked looking past Ella and walking in.

Ella had cleaned up the mess, but there were scratch marks in the wood, couch and somehow even on the walls.

"No clue. Something really spooked Pebbles, I found him trembling in my closet," Ella explained.

"Geez. Maybe he saw another cat?" Erin suggested.

"Maybe...but he lived in the uppards. He was probably accustomed to other cats," Ella replied.

"Hmm," Erin sighed. "Well do you still want to go?"

Ella nodded. "He seems to be okay. We won't be long right?"

"Nope. Normally only lasts an hour and half," Erin responded walking back out the door, which Ella closed behind them.

"Hey I haven't told you yet," Ella said as they walked down towards St. Patrick's.

"Told me what?" Erin asked.

"Hey you two," A voice said behind them.

They looked behind them to see Sarah Gunning, the island's doctor and their friend coming up behind them, carrying paper grocery bags.

"Hey Sarah!" Ella greeted. "We're just off to St. Patrick's."

"Has the Monsignor returned?" Sarah asked.

Ella shook her head about to explain when Erin cut her off.

"I'm still coming for that appointment later right?" Erin asked.

Sarah nodded. "It should be well before the storm. Anyways, I need to get back to my mom. I'll see you later Erin, and enjoy the sermon, Ella."

Erin sighed happily looking down at her stomach.

She had just started showing about a month ago.

"How is being pregnant going for you, by the way?" Ella asked.

"Pretty gross honestly. Lot of sickness," she sighed. "But...whenever I look at this baby...I'm so, so happy. It really did save me," She replied with a smile.

Ella smiled back. She knew what had happened to Erin, she was just glad she was okay now.

"Well auntie Ella is going to be your favourite," Erin said to her stomach.

Ella laughed. "I'm auntie Ella now?"

Erin nodded. "Of course. You've been here for me the most during this pregnancy. I never felt like I had to go through it alone."

Ella smiled. "And you won't. Now that Riley is here to."

Erin sighed. "I'm going to have to explain to him eventually."

"Yeah, but I can be there, if you want to do it later when we head to the cafe," Ella suggested.

Erin nodded. "Maybe..."

"Or you don't have to yet. Whenever your ready," Ella added.

She smiled back at her, but didn't say anymore about it.

They had arrived at St Patrick's. Bev was standing in front of the stairs, in her white robe, hands clasped in front of her stomach like always.

Just ahead of them was Wade, the mayor, his wife Dolly and their child Leeza, in her wheel chair going up the ramp.

"Morning," Bev greeted them with a smile.

"Morning mrs Keane" Leeza replied politely, wheeling into the church.

"Erin," Bev nodded. "And oh, looks like someone decided to show," she said to Ella.

Ella just smiled slightly at her. Deciding now wasn't the time to get into a fight with Bev.

They walked into the small church and sat in the middle right pew.

It was pretty empty, the Flynn's, Riley and his parents, sat across from them. They gave Ella and Erin a wave and smile.

Ella waved back. Annie and Ed were always like her second parents. Even more so for Erin, whose mom wasn't the best mother. Ella had spent more time at their house than hers when she was younger. Her parents were always working, her mom off island as a lawyer, and her father was originally the town's sheriff. Her day would always start ever since she was like 9, with her parents leaving a note on the table telling her where food was for her to eat, and always the same words, we'll be back after you've gone to bed, love you. It was mainly just frozen food, so Ella would just leave for the Flynn's house and they would always have the best hot meals for her. They took her in when her parents couldn't. And Ella would always be grateful for that.

The Scarborough's, Wade, Dolly and Leeza, sat in the very front like always.

There was a few other people here and there but no one Ella really knew.

Bev walked in and went up to the stand in the center.

"Morning everyone, today is the Seventh Sunday of Ordinary Time, our opening Hymn is Faith of our Fathers," Bev said.

Erin reached for the red leather Hymn book in front of them and opened it to the page. She put it in the middle so Ella could read it to.

Hymns. Ella thought. Some are beautiful, some are just there, and some make you feel bad, about not being the perfect Catholic person. Luckily this one is pretty normal.

Ooker, one of Riley's little bother's friend and one of the alter boys, rang the bell and everyone stood.

The piano music began to play, and everyone began to sing.

"Faith of our fathers, living still,"

Ella watched while singing as Ooker carrying the cross, and Warren, Riley's brother were walking down the aisle. And behind them, was Father Paul, in a gold chasuble, singing along in a deep voice.

People looked on in shock, excepting Monsignor Pruitt. There hadn't been a different priest long as anyone in this church knew.

"In spite of dungeon, Fire and Sword."

Erin stopped singing as she watched the priest pass, his head was down and arms up in prayer.

Ella watched him as well, as the church fell silent, staring at the new man. He looked very elegant, and poised, his hair had been combed back, as he walked on past them. He was the only one singing now, besides Bev who must've known. She always knew.

Ella wondered what he thought of everyone here, stopping their hymn just to stare at him.

People began to resume, "oh how our hearts, beat high with joy. When'er we hear the glorious word."

Father Paul bent down as he approached the stand, and Ooker and Warren walked up the steps and sat in the back.

Bev looked at him proudly, clearly very enticed by the man, as well as everyone in the church.

"Faith of our Fathers, holy faith, will be true to thee till death,"

Ella began to think this song felt more like a cult, than a religion, but so did everything about the church. She watched Father Paul, rise before the stand and look out at the crowed of people he had stunned.

"Good morning," he said, at hint of worry in his voice.

Everyone watched him curiously, waiting to see if he was worthy enough to replace Pruitt.

Ella felt a bit bad. Everyone here knew and loved Pruitt, those were big shoes to fill. No wonder he was nervous.

"I know I'm not who you excepted to see this morning, I'm Father Paul Hill, and I was sent by the diocese to fill in for Monsignor Pruitt," he explained stuttering a bit. "He fell ill, on his trip I'm afraid, he fine," he added sensing people's worry.

He went on explaining that people noticed he was ill on his trip, and he will be back eventually. This seemed to calm the church so the continued as normal, however Ella felt it was anything but normal. There was a weird feeling in the air, she had noticed, but seemingly others had not.

They continued on for an hour with more hymns, reading of the bible, a prayer, and then eventually, the bread and blood ceremony, Communion.

Father Paul recited the words of the bible as he held up the golden goblet filled with the "blood" of Jesus, promising it to forgive the sins of people.

Everyone began to file out of the pews as he offered them the body of Christ, and Bev offered the blood of Christ.

This is what always made Ella uneasy. It felt like a ritual of a cult. She and and Erin slowly made their way up to the front.

Ella looked back to see Riley sitting out. He looked up at her and gave her a shy smile. Riley was an alter boy when he was younger, he never had any trouble participating in the church's rituals.

Ella shook it off, knowing full well after what he went through it couldn't be easy to just except to be forgiven.

She began to feel worried as she approached Father Paul.

He looked into her eyes and smiled offering up the small slim piece of bread. She felt her stomach tie in knots.

It's only a little piece. Nothing to worry about. She tried to calm her mind.

"Body of Christ, Ella Marin," he said to her offering the piece of bread.

She took it in her mouth and swallowed quickly, trying not to think about it.

She gave him a small smile before walking over to Bev.

"Blood of Christ, Ella," Bev said, giving her the goblet to sip.

She took a small sip of the blood. It felt weirdly thicker than normal, but she drank it anyways.

Maybe Bev's poisoned it just for me she thought rolling her eyes as she turned away, going back to sit.

After it had finished she got up, when Warren suddenly motioned to her.

Erin went on ahead to introduce herself to Father Paul who was standing right outside the doors, speaking to everyone who passed.

Ella walked over to Warren suspiciously, who was standing near the front.

"Hey," he greeted, as she came up to him.

"What's up?" She asked. He looked around nervously.

Ella had used to babysit Warren and Leeza before she moved.

"Have Uh...have you spoken to Riley yet?" He asked.

Ella looked back at Riley and his parents walking out and begin to speak with Paul.

She nodded. "Yeah last night. Erin and I are going out with him later to catch up. Why what's got you worried?"

He looked away for a moment. "He's...he's not himself anymore. I feel like he's been acting a bit strange."

Ella patted him on the back. "It's going to be hard for him to adjust back to life here, on this sucky little island."

Warren let out a small laugh. "Yeah he just...I don't know."

"I know. But we're just going to have to be patient with him. Let him get used to being back here. All we can do is just be there for him," Ella reassured him.

He nodded and swallowed nervously. "Well you can be the one to do that...I don't know how to talk to him anymore."

Ella sighed sadly. "That's okay. You just need some time to. He's still your big brother though. I promise you that will never change."

Warren nodded again. "Thanks..."

Ella smiled and turned to leave, only to find Paul waiting for her at the doors.

"Ella Marin. I didn't know you would be here," he greeted.

"Why not?" Ella asked.

"Monsignor told me you didn't really attend much, after you moved back," Paul explained.

Ella nodded. "No I didn't...it just got kind of hard to watch him slowly fade away every day. I guess I was scared..."

He rubbed her shoulder assuringly. "I can understand. Will you be attending Mass?"

Ella thought for a second. "I'm not sure...most everyone here doesn't go anymore."

Paul sighed. "That's true. But it's also alright. No one is forced to, and coming on Sundays is enough for God. That's what he really wants."

Ella just nodded. "I should get going, I'm supposed to be getting lunch with Erin and Riley later."

Paul smiled, "yes Monsignor has told me all about you three. Go have fun, just be back before the storm, it's supposed to be pretty rough."

Ella smiled. "I will, Father."

He smiled back at her and she walked off towards Erin and Riley who were talking somewhat awkwardly.

"Hey," Ella said walking up to them.

"Hey," Riley said gruffly.

"Should we head off? We don't want to miss the Belle," Erin pointed out.

Ella nodded and the three walked off towards the dock.

She looked back at the church to see Father Paul watching her intently. He smiled when she noticed him and she smiled back before turning away again.

She kept smiling to herself, thinking of Paul. It wouldn't hurt to attend church, she thought. As long as he was there.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Miracles By Animelover

General Fiction

109 11 16
Maria had everything she ever needed. but, one fateful day, she loses it all. her lover, her home, her parents....everything. Broken and torn, she go...
1.1K 103 38
Her 18th birthday marks the start of everything. Her powers are awakening, the pieces of the puzzle of the mysterious disappearance of her parents a...
63.3K 1.4K 22
Aria Phoenix, a girl who is not afraid to kill and or to be killed; a girl who don't trust people easily; a girl from the most respected family betwe...
2K 92 29
Read all of the description please. Mainly the warning at the bottom <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> I walked to the studio Ella Layloni was at an...