Eyes of the Blood Moon

By Gemmy4

Ella Marin grew up on the small island of Crocket. She recently moved back hoping to escape the troubles in h... More

New Priest in Town
The Seventh Sunday
Plauge
The Creature of the Woods
Crock Pot Luck
Swimming in the Sky
Addiction
In the Eyes of a Miracle
Night of the Western Sun
Moon Drunk
Pains of the Past
Shitstorm
Love on Ice
Will the Circle be Unbroken
The Red Means I Love You
Darkness Hides Me
Remember We Are Dust
To Dust We Shall Return
Behind the Scenes
Free Fall
Delicate
Back on Track
Always for Her
Blood Moon Rising
Feeding Frenzy
Morning Glow

The Son Returns

623 34 1
By Gemmy4

Ella felt the cold wind nip at her face and hands, so she tucked them into her coat pockets.

March was passing quickly, it was getting warmer as Easter weekend approached. Yet the night still felt as cold as the winter days.

As Ella strolled through the streets she saw a familiar shadow in the distance. A silhouette she hadn't seen in a good long time.

She felt a smile grow across her face as she recognized the man.

"Riley," she laughed running up behind him.

He turned to face her, and once he saw the familiar face and beautiful smile he began to run towards her.

They met in the middle and she threw her arms around his neck. It was so good to be back with her best friend.

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming home? I called you every month when you were...you know," Ella asked letting go.

Riley chuckled. "Ha. I...I really appreciated that by the way. Even if I never said it," he told her in his familiar rough voice.

"Well well. The three amigos reunited," another voice said.

Both turned to see the kind, sarcastic face of Erin Greene. She had come back at the same time Ella had. The three of them were best friends throughout their whole childhood.

"Misses Greene," Riley chuckled.

"It's good to see you," Erin smiled back at him.

"Look at us. Back together at the place we all so desperately wanted to leave," Ella laughed.

"Running away was easy," Erin sighed.

"Staying gone though was pretty tough," Ella agreed.

Riley just nodded.

They walked back to Ella's house, hers was the first, just like old times. Talking and catching up.

When they arrived at the little yellow wooden cabin, they said their goodbyes, promising to meet up the next day.

Ella pushed open her creaky front door, into the dark living room. She flipped on the light to see her kitten, Pebbles sitting on the leather sofa looking back up at her lazily.

Ella smiled. "I'm home baby buddy. You must be hungry."

Pebbles meowed in agreement.

Ella put her coat down on the couch and walked to pour Pebbles his food.

He stretched and hopped down waiting for the food to pour.

Ella pat his head before walking back to the couch and laying across the sofa.

She wasn't tired, not after her nap on the beach earlier.

She looked over at her small tv wondering if she wanted to flip it on.

But she wasn't in the mood. She just stared up at her ceiling and thought over her day.

Her mind wandered to Father Paul and his charming smile.

She studied his face in her head. It seemed familiar, in a way, but she'd never seen him before tonight. At least not that she knew of.

Perhaps he just has one of those faces. He's so approachable, he already feels like a distant friend.

She adjusted herself on the couch feeling her eyes grow heavier. She was more sleepy than she thought.

She felt the light pounce of Pebbles jump up onto the couch he was resting on earlier, clearly annoyed she had taken up his spot, so to assert dominance, he walked right up onto her chest and lay down.

Ella laughed at the fierce little boy.

In the uppards, just east of her house were hundreds of stray cats. She had been strolling along up there a month ago when she found a small grey kitten buried in the snow. She'd  swept
it away to see one of his little paws was caught under a rock. To her, it was just a pebble, but it looked like a boulder on top of his tiny paw. She had taken him home and helped his leg heal, but when she tried to release him he wouldn't go. So she accepted the fact they were going to be sticking together.

*****

Father Paul rushed back inside the cool wind blowing around, slamming his door shut for him.

He let out a sigh, staring at the empty trunk.

Come tomorrow, it would begin.

*****

Ella woke early the next morning to Pebbles yelling at her.

He was sitting on the ground looking up at her very annoyed about something.

Ella realized she had rolled onto her side in the night, knocking him off.

He was very upset with her.

Ella smiled to herself and shook her head, standing up and stretching.

She glanced over at the stove in her small kitchen, 5:47.

She yawned while walking over to the small coffee pot before realizing she was all out.

"Great." She sighed throwing her hands up.

The general store would have coffee, but it wouldn't be open for a few more hours.

She'd have to go without her caffeine fix. That wasn't really an option.

Guess I should change out of these clothes I slept in. She though lazily, walking to her cozy little room.

After a few minutes she had changed into a white cableknit sweater and a black pair of jeans, putting her very unkempt hair into her signature low bun.

She glanced outside the window, the sky was a dark blood red.

Storms are coming. She sighed to herself. Every storm brought a new leak. With all the ones she'd collected already her house would flood.

Her head pounded. She need coffee. The Sheriff could very possibly be in the store. He didn't run it, but he did work there in the back. He always got there early, maybe he would let her in.

She put on her boots and walked out into the dawn, smelling the salty sea just a few years away.

As she walked she ran into Erin, in a sweater and long skirt.

"Morning. Where are you off to so early?" Erin asked joining her.

"Seeing if Hassan's got any coffee," Ella groaned.

Erin laughed. "I was just coming to see if you had any. I'll join you."

They walked towards the general store, as they approached they could see the back room was lit up.

"Bet you the Sheriff was there with Joe all night," Ella sighed.

"I pity the man. It's not easy..." Erin trailed off.

Pike, the big black dog that belonged to Joe sat lonely outside the store. He perked up at the friends approaching and began to bark at them.

"Hey buddy," Ella greeted the dog with a rub on his head.

Erin knocked on the doors. "Hassan you've got customers!" She shouted through.

Ella smiled and watched the Sheriff approach the doors.

He had a disapproving gaze but unlocked the door.

"You know I could get in trouble letting you in here early," he told them as they walked in.

"But you did it anyways," Ella smiled up at him patting him on the back.

He snorted. "What do you need?"

"Coffee, mind if we take some and leave money on the counter?" Erin asked.

"Technically as Sheriff I can't let you do that, it's not a proper business interaction," he told them smirking and folding his strong arms across his chest.

"Oh please I've known these people my whole life," Ella remarked, "they won't care! As long as we pay."

"Yeah what will you do? Arrest us?" Erin teased.

He shook his head and smiled at the ground. "Look I've got a pot on in the back. You can help yourself."

Erin and Ella exchanged a look.

"Even better," Ella shrugged.

"Yeah thanks Sheriff," Erin added following them into the back.

It was a small room, with a desk in the middle, and a holding cell, where Joe lay clutching a pillow.

Ella sighed sadly, looking at the man. Joe wasn't a bad guy, just a troubled one. His drinking was one of those reasons.

"Pikes out there looking pretty sorrowful," Ella said pouring herself a warm cup of coffee.

"Yeah I fed him earlier," Hassan sighed. "Poor dog."

Erin lent against the desk clutching her coffee. "Poor Joe," she muttered before taking a sip.

Suddenly Joe woke with a start. "Poor who?" He said in his rough accent, groaning as he sat up.

"Nothing Joe," Hassan waved.

"Pikes waiting for ya," Ella told him.

"Good boy, waitin' out there all night," Joe grunted. "What are you two doin here. Come to gawk at the pitiful man in the cell?" He snapped.

"Just getting caffeine, Joe," Ella shook her head.

Joe grunted again in response. "Am I free to go Sharif?"

Hassan sighed. "I suppose Joe. Follow me," he said opening the cell door.

Joe got up, gave one more look at Erin and Ella before turning and walking out.

"That was unpleasant," Ella said taking a sip of the coffee. The hot sensation filled her throat, and warmed her from the inside out.

"It always is with Joe isn't it," Erin sighed.

Ella nodded silently. "You know...I was think of attending the sermon later. I...haven't been in a while. Would you mind if we sat together?"

Erin looked at her with a smirk. "What's prompting you?"

"I'm feeling up for a little faith," Ella replied.

Erin laughed. "Sure. I'll swing by your house at 9:00. Honestly, I'm excited to see Pruitt again. He's been gone for so long."

Ella realized she hadn't known Father Paul was replacing him. Come to think of it, no one had even told them before she met Paul herself.

"Pruitts not-" Ella got cut off at the sound of yelling outside.

She and Erin made there way out towards the front just to catch the tail end of an unpleasant interaction with Joe and Bev.

Erin and Ella let out the same "here comes Bev" sigh.

Bev looked up at them. "Did you let them in early?" She asked turning to Sheriff Hassan. "You're new here. So you wouldn't know, but that's against the law." She annunciated snarkily.

"Don't worry Bev, we broke in looking to steal all the alcohol to throw the biggest rager tonight, but Hassan caught us. I'd ask if you wanted to come to the party, but you weren't taught fun," Ella snarked back.

Hassan and Erin tried to stifle their laughter.

Bev snarled. "Control that animal," she snipped at Joe before stalking off looking as daintily and grandma-ly as ever.

"Still want to throw that rager?" Erin asked Ella with a laugh.

Ella chuckled taking another sip of coffee.

Hassan shook his head. "Another time. Supposed to be a bad one tonight." He glanced down at his watch. "Which reminds me, I need to go let people know to prepare. See you two later. And see you tonight Joe," he said walking off.

"See ya tonight Sharif," Joe replied getting up and walking home, Pike close at his heels.

Erin shook her head. "Do you think Riley will be at the church today?" She asked.

"Why do you want to know?" Ella smirked elbowing her.

"Alright not this again," Erin sighed.

Ella laughed. "Half of Crocket sees the chemistry between you two. Don't act like it's not there."

Erin shook her head. "We barley know each other any more."

"Then get to know him," Ella replied.

Erin didn't say anything after that. She just sipped her coffee silently.

"I'm gonna get back home. I'll see you at 9?" Ella asked walking away looking back over her shoulder.

Erin nodded. "See you then."

Ella smiled and turned back towards her house.

She sang to herself as she walked. She loved to sing. It was easier than speaking she would think. Easier to convey the way you feel, in a way that showed more than just words.

"My songs know what you did in the dark, so light em up up up," she sang walking up her front porch.

When she opened the door she saw quite the sight. A lamp that sat on the table, was shattered on the ground. Her coat stand had been knocked over, and claw marks were all over the place.

"Pebbles!" She called out feeling fear set into her mind. Her heart began to race. He wasn't coming. "Pebbles! Pst pst pst!" She kept calling.

Not even a meow.

She set her mug down and ran to her room. "Pebbles please! Where are you?" She called out desperately.

"No, no no. Pebbles please..." she felt the tears begin to stream down her cold face.

She sat on the hardwood floor in her room, silent tears rolling down her cheeks.

After a few moments of complete quiet, she heard the faintest meow.

She looked up, wondering if she'd made it up.

Then...there it was again.

"Pebbles!" She bolted up and walked to her closet, which was open a jar.

She peaked her head in, but didn't see anything.

She sighed but before she closed the door, she saw two yellow eyes blink at her in the darkness.

She opened it fully and looked down at the little kitten, curled up in one of her boots, trembling.

"My baby boy," she sighed of relief, reaching down and picking him up.

His little body trembled against her hands . He was clearly frightened by something.

She sat in her bed and pet him reassuringly.

He began to calm down, but Ella was wondering what could've got him so spooked. She'd never seen him like this.

After a few minutes of pampering him making him feel better, She got up and walked to her living room, and began sweeping the glass.

Then a thought came to her. One that disturbed her.

Was something in here?

*****

Father Paul looked out at the small church that sat empty across from his little shack.

There would only be a handful of people today, 7th Sunday of ordinary times. But soon all the pews would be filled. The island had no idea what was to come.

*****

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 92 29
Read all of the description please. Mainly the warning at the bottom <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> I walked to the studio Ella Layloni was at an...
313K 5K 28
What if Charlie and Renee Swan never got divorced? What if Bella was brought up in Forks as a Washington child? What if that impacted Bella's life ma...
Miracles By Animelover

General Fiction

109 11 16
Maria had everything she ever needed. but, one fateful day, she loses it all. her lover, her home, her parents....everything. Broken and torn, she go...
481K 16.9K 44
"How long has he been hurting you?" There it is. The question I dreaded, but I promised him I would be honest, so I took a deep breath and answered. ...