The Royalty

By Aberial_63

Prince Maxon Schreave ended the Selection just a few months ago. He has finally picked a bride. America Singe... More

The Royalty
Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Part 1
Chapter 2: Part 2
Chapter 3: Part 1
Chapter 3: Part 2
Chapter 4: Part 1
Chapter 4: Part 2
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Not a chapter
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Super Duper Special Announcement
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Super Duper Special Announcement Part Two
Chapter 41
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Son

Chapter 42

2.9K 81 71
By Aberial_63

Song: None because *Spoilers*

Also, this chapter is kind of a mess. "Too much stuff, not enough space," as they say.

America's POV

Today was my last day in Niue. I was excited and sad at the same time. I was finally going home to Maxon and Alex, but I was going to miss the tiny island. I'd become attached to it and the people I'd met. All of the kids I'd taught and the people I helped held a special place in my heart.

There was a concert a few hours ago. All of the kids I'd worked with had put together a performance in honor of my last day. It was nowhere close to perfect, but it filled me with pride to see them and my eyes had welled with tears.

Now, I was saying goodbye to everyone. We were all gathered in the restored town square. I hugged the Niueans and wished them all well. It was especially hard to say farewell to the people I'd grown extremely close to, like Evie and her family. I'd shed more than my fair share of tears when I'd talked to them.

"Be good for your mom," I'd said to the little girl. "And keep practicing your singing. It'll really take you places someday."

She'd nodded and gave me a hug. Her mom had then taken her hand and led her away so other people could speak to me.

An hour later, I was boarding the plane. I waved one last time to the people, who were watching as I left. I was happy to see the smiles on their faces and know that I'd helped get them there. Pretty much all of the damage had been repaired and the island's beauty resembled its former glory. I knew they were grateful.

I sat down in my seat and pulled out the picture Maxon had sent me. I smiled at my boys. I'd missed them so much and I could not wait to see them.

I buckled my seatbelt and looked out the window as the island slowly faded into the horizon.

Maxon's POV

I was pacing worriedly through the garden. Not only was America an hour late, but she hadn't called like she said she would once she landed. I wouldn't be this worried if the weather would behave itself. There had been off-and-on thunderstorms all day. I had no way to know if she had made it back to Illéa safely.

I told myself that everything was fine, that she was fine. She probably was just running late because of something that was put of her control, like car trouble. Still, America should have called...

It started to rain suddenly, like a total downpour. I was soaked almost instantly. I started to head inside when there was a loud crack of lightning. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a black limousine pull through the gates. I stopped in my tracks. It was her.

I stood there frozen as the car slowed to a stop, not caring about the rain pounding against my body. The door opened and I watched as she stepped out. America smiled at the palace, seeming not to notice her sopping wet husband staring at her. She glanced over to the garden for a moment and did a double take.

Her jaw dropped and she brought her hand to her heart, seeming too surprised to do much else. My heart thudded in my chest. I felt stupid; I was so excited to see her, but I was just standing there like an imbecile. I told my legs to walk to her. I told my arms to open and welcome her into an embrace. I told my mouth to smile and show her how glad I was to have her home. But I just stood there like a statue.

America made the first move. She took one hesitant step. And then another. Before I knew what was happening, she started running. She threw herself into my arms, wrapping her legs around my waist. The collision caused me to lose my balance and, before I could regain my footing, I fell backwards into the slimy, lukewarm mud.

I pulled her closer and she hid her face in my neck. I had forgotten how good this felt, to be able to feel the heat of her body against mine, to know that the love of my life was in my arms. America's breath was warm against my skin as she clung to me. I ran my fingers through her hair gently, making sure she was real and not just another one of my longing-filled daydreams.

She pulled back so she could look down at me. I drank in her appearance. Her skin was tanner, her hair lighter, her muscles more toned, yet she was still the same America. Her eyes were wide as she watched me. America placed her palm against my cheek and I was delighted by the feeling of her touch.

"Hi," she whispered.

"Hi," I responded, still in shock. Thunder boomed in the distance and the rain was coming down harder now, but neither could've pulled my attention away from her.

I wanted to kiss her so badly. I could tell by the way that she gazed into my eyes that she did, too. She leaned in closer, so close that the tips of our noses brushed.

"It's raining," America observed.

"Yes," I agreed, not sure why she had pointed that out.

"And you're in the mud."

"I am."

"We could get struck by lightning," she stated, smiling a little.

"That's a possibility, I suppose." I was smiling now, too.

"The guards could be watching."

"I'd bet that they are."

"Do you mind?" America asked, finally to her point.

"Not at all," I answered. Truth be told, I would've kissed her even if the world was ending at that very moment.

She smirked playfully, sliding her fingers under the collar of my shirt, running them over my skin.

"Did you miss me?"

I grinned up at her. "Like crazy."

America laughed and pressed her lips to mine. My heart may have skipped a beat, but I was so lost in her kiss that I couldn't be sure. Water coated every inch our skin, making our lips slippery and taste like the sweet summer rain. America was making me feel like I was flying thousands of feet into the air, like I was soaring high above the dark and gloomy clouds.

I broke the kiss so I could look into her eyes. They twinkled adoringly and I laced my fingers through hers. She squeezed my hand. I never wanted to let go of her.

"You have mud on your cheek," she said with a giggle. She wiped it away with her thumb before placing a kiss on my forehead.

"We should go inside," she said once she moved back.

"I think you are correct on that account. It's not a very nice day today, is it?"

"Oh, I don't know," America said, sitting up on my lap and pulling me into a similar position. "I think it's a wonderful day."

She kissed me again and I murmured against her lips. "Haha, you know what I meant. I have to congratulate you, though. That was smooth, darling. I'm impressed."

America laughed before finally getting to her feet. Her bare legs were coated with mud. I could only imagine what I looked like. She snickered when I got up. I gave her a playful glare and took her hand.

We walked up to the doors. The guards gave us odd looks, but made no comments. They opened the door. We were met by Anne, who had her hands on her hips and was shooting us a disapproving, but endeared, look.

"When Gabriel told me I should go and wait for the both of you, I truly was not expecting this," gesturing to our soiled state.

"It's lovely to see you too, Anne," America teased before pulling her friend into a hug.

Anne squirmed a bit and broke free. "I will hug you, Your Majesty, once you are a little less wet and dirty. And do not think for one second that I'm going to let you walk through the halls and get mud everywhere. I kindly ask that you will remove your shoes before continuing on your way."

Her tone implied that she was not, in fact, asking. America and I shared bemused glances. Anne had been given the position of chief maid at the palace a year ago and she took it very seriously.

We removed our shoes and Anne took them out of our hands. "I'm going to have these cleaned." She turned and started to walk away, but stopped and looked back. "I am glad you're home, Queen America," she said with a tiny smile and then walked purposefully away.

America laughed, looping her arm through mine. "I missed her," she said as we walked to our room for a couple of dearly needed showers.

"And I missed you," I said.

She stopped and turned to me. She kissed me lovingly, sliding her hands around my waist, and then whispered, "Are you ever going to stop trying to charm the pants off of me?"

"No."

America smiled softly. "Good," she murmured.

We stayed there for a while, not speaking another word so we could just enjoy the embrace.

The quiet was broken when I heard an excited little voice say, "Mommy?"

America pulled back and I saw Alex standing there with Lucy, who was holding Alex's book of drawings. He was grinning with all of his might. She gasped, her eyes filled with joyful tears.

"Alex!" she exclaimed and went to him. She picked him up and held him close. "Oh, you have no idea how happy I am to see you."

He smiled adorably. My heart warmed at seeing them reunite, at having my family together again.

"I missed you," Alex said, still hugging America. "Why are you and Daddy all dirty?"

America and I shared knowing smirks. God, I'd missed this. "Daddy and I were a little bit clumsy when we were saying hello and fell into the mud."

"Yeah," I joined in, "but it was mostly your mom's fault. She's got two left feet, you know how it is."

Alex giggled and America gave me a playful shove. I put an arm around her shoulders and kissed her temple, laughing along with them. I didn't know it was humanly possible to be this happy and at peace.

"Guess what I made for you, Mommy," Alex said eagerly.

She tapped her chin with her thumb thoughtfully. "I don't know. What?"

Lucy came over and handed America the book. America smiled gratefully and took the book. Alex and I had bound the pages together yesterday with multicolored string after making a cover. The cover was a little family portrait Alex had drawn with crayons. While it consisted of stick figures and exaggerated colors, it still filled me with pride to see all of the hard work and persistence he'd put into this project.

America sucked in an awed breath. "What's this?" she said breathlessly, her eyes wide with surprise.

"I drew pictures for you everyday of what I did so I could make the book. It was Daddy's idea."

She ran her fingers over the pages, starting to flip through them. "Thank you so much, Alex. It's absolutely wonderful."

America kissed his forehead affectionately. She looked to me, her eyes bright. Thank you, she mouthed. I nodded and just held on to her tighter.

I glanced at my watch. It was nearly 2 o'clock. I realized that we couldn't stay here for much longer. America's family was coming over at 2:30 to welcome her back from her trip and we still had to get cleaned up. With light dismay, I called attention to the situation. "Darling, I'm afraid we have to cut this short. Your family will be here soon and I believe a bit of bathing is in order."

America sighed, disappointment heavy on her face. I knew she didn't want to leave Alex. "Okay." She kissed Alex's forehead one last time and then put him back on his feet. "I'll see you in a little bit. All right, baby?"

He nodded, shooting her his signature grin. "See you later," he said before walking away with Lucy.
America took my arm and we walked towards our room. She held the little picture book to her chest as she walked. I could see how happy it made her.

We entered our room. America stopped just as we stepped through the doorway. "That bed has to be one of the most beautiful things I've seen all day," she joked.

"I can't wait to share it with you again," I replied, waggling an eyebrow suggestively. She rolled her eyes, gave me a playful shove, and then a quick, flirtatious kiss before pushing me into the bathroom. I smiled to myself.

I took a swift shower so that we would leave on time. I was out of the bathroom within 10 minutes, a towel wrapped around my waist. America was standing near the nightstand, looking at all of the picture frames there. Almost any available surface in the room was covered with frames for all of the pictures I'd taken over the years. I didn't really have anywhere else to put them all.

"Your turn," I said from behind her. She turned, her eyes lighting up when she saw me. I saw her sneak a quick look at my bare chest and blush. I bit back a smirk as she passed me. She brushed her fingers against mine before proceeding with a bundle of clothes to enter the bathroom to wash up.

I went to the closet and grabbed some clothes to change into. I put them on and sat down on the bed, quietly waiting for her to come out.

When a little more than twenty minutes had passed and we were officially running late, she emerged in a knee-length yellow sundress. "Do I look okay?" America asked, smoothing the fabric with her hands.
I jumped to my feet. "Yes, you look fantastic. Now, let's go. They'll be here any minute."

I took her hand, practically dragging her to the door. "Wait," she protested with a laugh at my insistence. "Let me grab a sweater."

She turned and went to the closet, picked out a simple grey sweater, and rejoined me at the door while putting it on. "Now, we can go."

Alex was going to meet us at the doors, so we didn't have to stop at his room on the way.

"So," I started as we walked, feeling the need for conversation. "Were you sad to leave Niue?"

She thought for a moment. "A little bit, yes. I lived there for three months, I formed connections with the people, I made memories there that I'll never forget. Of course I'm going to miss it and be sad about leaving, but I was happy, too. I left the island better than I found it, I helped all of those people get some piece of their old life back. If that doesn't make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, I don't know what will. Does that make any sense?"

I smiled softly at her. It still amazed me that someone like her existed. She was just so plainly good. She had flaws like every single normal human being, but she had all of the things that counted. Compassion. Empathy. Kindness.

"Yes," I answered. "It makes total sense."

I drew her towards me, locking my eyes on to hers. "You don't even realize how astonishing of a person you are, do you?"

She placed her hands on my shoulders, leaning into me. "I don't tend to think of myself that way," she whispered.

"It's the truth nonetheless."

America placed a slow kiss on my mouth. I kissed her back gently, relishing the moment. Too many months had gone by without a moment like this one and I'd be damned if I didn't cherish each and every one like it was made of pure gold.

My attention was pulled away from her by a slight sound, so small I could hardly hear it, a ticking sound. It was just annoying enough for me not to be able to ignore it. I had to find out what it was. With great reluctance, I pulled back from her kiss, scanning the area.

"Maxon, what is it?" America asked, noticing my expression. I didn't answer and kept looking. I saw a faint shadow behind one of the window curtains in the same direction that the sound was coming from. I moved out of her embrace and went to see what it was.

I pushed aside the curtain and saw a small device. It was a mess of colorful wires and circuitry. I only realized what it was when I saw the timer.

A bomb.

And there was only six seconds left.

"America, run. Now."

"What? Why?" she asked in confusion.

"Just go!" I yelled and grabbed her arm.

She didn't move fast enough. We wouldn't have enough time to get out of the blast radius.

I pushed her to the ground and put myself over her, the bomb going off while I was in midair, hoping to shield her from most of the explosion. I couldn't let her get hurt.

All of the windows exploded inwards, sending glass shards flying all along the corridor. My eyes were squeezed shut in anticipation of something worse, a bigger threat.

That bigger threat never came. We stayed silent on the ground for another fifteen seconds. Nothing happened.

"Are you okay?" I asked into her ear, my heart pounding in my chest.

"I think so. Maybe a few scratches, but I'm fine. What about you?"

"Same here."

I rolled off of her and pain rippled up my side, making me gasp. A piece of glass the size of my hand was protruding from my abdomen and there was a very deep gash leading up to it from a little above my hip. I must have moved the glass while I was getting off of her. Blood was soaking my shirt already.

"Never mind, I'm not okay. Not okay at all," I said with a wince.

America got to her knees and saw the wound. Her eyes grew wide. "Oh my God, Maxon!" Her jaw had dropped and she looked like she didn't even know what to say.

I swore under my breath, the pain clouding my thoughts.

"Oh God, what do I do? What am I supposed to do? I can't remember. Oh God," America rambled, talking at about a thousand miles per minute.

"America, calm down. Take a breath. You can't help me if you're so worked up."

She took an unsteady breath, still looking terrified but also a little calmer.

"There you go. Good. First, we need to call for help. I had some panic buttons installed after that attack in July, just in case. If I remember correctly, there is one right over there, under the windowsill," I said, pointing to a window a few feet away from where the bomb had been.

She got up to press the button, her whole body shaking with terror. I had no idea how I was so calm. I just knew that getting scared would only make it worse.

America returned to my side and I managed a tiny smile. "Help should be here soon. Now, you have to stop the bleeding. Take off your sweater and put it over the open part. Put pressure on it."

She slipped off her sweater, but didn't put it on the injury.

"What?" I asked.

"I don't want to hurt you."

I laughed mirthlessly. "I'm already hurt. Just do it."

She pressed it hesitantly against the cut. I sucked in a pained breath, but I didn't move away. A sweat started to break out on my forehead.

"There," I sighed. "We just have to wait now."

She was still trembling horribly and she looked like she was going to be sick. "Please don't die," she whispered softly.

I put my hand over hers. "Wouldn't dream of it."

America offered me a weak smile.

.

.

.

Three minutes later, help still didn't come. America's sweater was soaked in my blood and it covered her hands. She was crying quietly, trying to hold tears back when she knew I watching. My breathing was a little shallower. I was sweating more, but I was freezing cold and starting to shiver. I was going into shock.

I was trying to stay hopeful, but I knew what was coming. I couldn't last much longer like this. My life was ending and both of us knew it.

"America, it's not going to help. Just let go."

"No," she said stubbornly. "I will not let you die."

"Sweetie," I said, but she interrupted me.

"Maxon, don't. You're going to be fine. You have to be."

I gripped her wrists and pulled them away from the injury. "Please, America. Just hold me. If I'm going to die, I want your arms to be the last thing I feel. That would be a good way to go."

"But-"

"Please."

Sniffling, she put my head on her lap, slipping her arm behind my neck to prop up my head.

"Thank you," I said softly, grateful for that one comfort. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry that it's ending like this. We were going to grow old together. I'm sorry fate is denying us that."

"Don't you dare say that, Maxon Schreave. We will. I know we will. I just got you back. I'm not losing you again."

"America, I don't know how much longer I have. Please just let me say what I need to while I can." There was so much I had to tell her.

She was quiet so I assumed it was okay to speak, but where did I even begin?

I took a breath, fighting back tears of my own now. "I have loved you more than I ever thought it was possible, in a way that was never depicted in any fairy tale or romance novel for it is far beyond the reaches of any human vocabulary. I have loved you in a way that takes my entire soul and gives it to you, but still wants to give you even more of myself. I have loved you in a way that has never been felt before in the entire history of this earth. I have loved you in a way that is so, so much more than anything I could've ever imagined."

America sobbed, tears running down her face in agony. She didn't look away, though.

"And I am so thankful," I continued, "for everything, for this whole long journey. I am thankful that I had you beside me in the best times and the worst times. There is no sum of money that would come even close to how much you are worth to me. I cannot even come close to describing how large of a piece of my heart you hold in your hands."

I paused, getting choked up. I didn't want to die and leave her here alone. And I didn't want to leave Alex.

"America, will you do something for me?"

She nodded. "Anything."

"Can you tell Alex that I love him? He needs to know that. He needs to know that it wasn't my choice, that if I leave, I never meant to leave him without a father. Promise me you'll tell him I love him."

"I promise, but he knows. My God, he knows."

I shut my eyes tightly, trying to fight off both the physical and emotional pain.

It was getting harder to form a coherent thought and a sick feeling was developing in my stomach. My shirt was drenched with sweat and blood. My eyes were starting to close, but I fought to keep them open for my family. They needed me to live.

My first tear leaked from my eye. Death wasn't only sad for those who lived. It was sad for those who had to leave their family behind. You had to go, even though you knew it would tear them apart and they would suffer over the loss of you. I didn't want to do that to them.

I cried into her lap, her yellow sundress soaking up my tears. America wept over me, seeming to be already grieving. I reached up and touched her face, knowing it was probably the last time I'd ever be able to do so. I twirled a piece of her hair around my finger. I wiped her tears away from under her eyes.

She leaned down and kissed my lips sadly. I felt her heart breaking and I didn't know how to stop it. "I love you so much, Maxon."

"That's all I ever needed," I said honestly.

I couldn't resist it anymore. My eyes closed. I didn't have another ounce of strength left in my body.

"No!" she shouted. "Don't! Not yet. Please, don't leave me here. Maxon, don't."

I felt her try to shake me fully awake, but it was too late. I was going to die right here, any second now.

"Help!" America screamed at the top of her lungs. "Somebody please help! Help!"

I might've heard footsteps approaching, but I couldn't tell. It's not like there was anything they could do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

252K 9.4K 45
Elisa Carams was an ordinary two in a small state of Illèa when she was summoned to participate in Prince Aaron's selection, where she falls deeply i...
164K 1.4K 62
America finally has Maxon. Happily married. She has the responsibilities as queen. Everyone adores the royal couple. But when Maxon starts to drink a...
11.5K 215 22
Credit to Kiera Cass: I DO NOT OWN THE SELECTION PLOT LINE. *story takes place during The One* America has it tough as it is choosing if she really w...
108K 1.2K 29
Completed: What if America didn't find out about her father passing until the morning? What if Maxon didn't hear that crash in the hallway the night...